Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The 7th Guest posted:

i've been watching bobvids play it and it's pretty standard dull bloober team writing

and there's a monster chase that feels like bloober team got bored of the story they were building or thought "well, it's a horror game so we gotta have one i guess!". that's about 3-4 hours in that i've watched

i've already played layers of fear, observer, and blair witch so i am not dipping my interactive toes into this one and instead watching from the beach

Another rip roaring release from Blumbo Team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No bgm test is a hilarious oversight but otherwise yes the Turrican collection is worth at least 30 dollars more than most of the boring rear end games that get posted here

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The 7th Guest posted:

i've been watching bobvids play it and it's pretty standard dull bloober team writing

and there's a monster chase that feels like bloober team got bored of the story they were building or thought "well, it's a horror game so we gotta have one i guess!". that's about 3-4 hours in that i've watched

i've already played layers of fear, observer, and blair witch so i am not dipping my interactive toes into this one and instead watching from the beach

treat posted:

Not really. It's more of a "pick up this nicely detailed object and spin it around looking at it before you use it on that thing over there" thing so far. I'm still pretty early and there hasn't been a very challenging setpiece or puzzle yet, but it seems more like a laid back exploration type of game. The exploration is really good though, the game looks great, it gives you opportunities to explore off the main path, and it works really well with the split screen giving you twice as much to look at and compare. My biggest complaint is how generic a lot of the spirit world looks unless it's a scene directly aping a Beksinski painting. It's just a lot of skin/bones/flowering fungus looking stuff but when you do run into a Beksinski piece it's pretty impactful.

Thanks for the write-up. Sounds like an "on sale" kind of game, I guess.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

itry posted:

Thanks for the write-up. Sounds like an "on sale" kind of game, I guess.

Do you consider gamepass on sale? Cause I think thats how most people in this thread are playing it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Has anyone tried Valheim?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Skyl3lazer posted:

Has anyone tried Valheim?

only very brief. I like the style and the core gameplay feels very nice. It's a bit rough around the edges as far as I can tell, but seems to have a lot of potential. I haven't had enough time today to get the full picture, but I'll take another look. It plays very well and refreshing to me, as I just played The Forest the other day which can be a bit tedious.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does it have the option for black metal playing constantly like in that badass trailer if not I am disappointed

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It looks like one of those "could be really good five years from now" EA games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Valheim looks promising, the art style is good and will let them add more to the game quickly, but I've been burned too much on those styles of games.

Like ARK or Conan or Rust or DayZ, those games tend to get pushed out with basically zero content with the hopes that PVP will offer enough gameplay, and it never does.

Cardiovorax posted:

It looks like one of those "could be really good five years from now" EA games.

Yeah definitely will have to check in on this in like, a year.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

Like ARK or Conan or Rust or DayZ, those games tend to get pushed out with basically zero content with the hopes that PVP will offer enough gameplay, and it never does.

Didn't like every single one of these games get years worth of post-release content? I haven't played Rust for almost a decade and they're still updating it. What the gently caress even is this post?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think the point was that on release, those games are rarely worth playing yet, they only become so later. That's not really wrong?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah, they aren't always labeled as early access and even when they are, its like an alpha test that just bores you on the game concept. Better to wait until there's more done.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
While downloading Ys9 and browsing the PS Store, I think I found the next gimmick game that I will buy for my wife. Try to make it to the 60-90 sec mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s-9x-bf1Vg

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

From the title I was expecting something more like https://walsh9.github.io/dragon-taxes/.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ghostinmyshell posted:

While downloading Ys9 and browsing the PS Store, I think I found the next gimmick game that I will buy for my wife. Try to make it to the 60-90 sec mark.

You know, I..appreciate what this is going for, in a way but maaaaaaan this sure is like one guy and a copy of Blender doing it all himself. Really stark contrast to the pretty good thumbnail art.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I do appreciate the inventory being labelled 'Q3 2020 Summary Account of Items Inside My Pants'

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/IceWaterGames/status/1357127646208000003

https://store.steampowered.com/app/768450/NUTS/

quote:

“Like Firewatch for David Attenborough fans”
TechRadar

Gear up your research caravan, boot up your GPS, spread out your map and head for the depths of Melmoth Forest. As a rookie field researcher, you’ll place cameras during the day, and watch the footage at night, tracking the movements of a scurry of squirrels.

Where do they hide their nuts? What puzzling routes do they take? And why do they behave so strangely?

Includes
Gameplay based around surveillance and tracking
An immersive story with full voice acting
Bold visuals and foley sound effects envelop the player in a vibrant forest

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Instantly clicked that link and wow am I disappointed. Cell-shaded graphics in an eye-searing neon color palette are not how I want to my animal photography.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cardiovorax posted:

Instantly clicked that link and wow am I disappointed. Cell-shaded graphics in an eye-searing neon color palette are not how I want to my animal photography.

I regret that, as for me it's going to help immensely with seeing critters - the bright contrast looks amazing imho and I'll be able to SEE the animals. Compare/contrast with how poorly I spot things in theHunter.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

A+ description though.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

is that BMO narrating?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

priznat posted:

Does it have the option for black metal playing constantly like in that badass trailer if not I am disappointed

unfortunately not, but it doesn't have a soundtrack so I guess you can put Naglfar in the background all day long. I absolutely recommend doing that at least for the map start, which is a giant loving bird dropping you in the woods

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

haldolium posted:

unfortunately not, but it doesn't have a soundtrack so I guess you can put Naglfar in the background all day long. I absolutely recommend doing that at least for the map start, which is a giant loving bird dropping you in the woods

My friends and I are keeping an eye on it, it looks like it would be fun to run your own server and have buddies hop on/off.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

priznat posted:

My friends and I are keeping an eye on it, it looks like it would be fun to run your own server and have buddies hop on/off.

That's basically the only way multiplayer works right now.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Buddy keeps telling me to buy Valheim and that its the best thing ever.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Philthy posted:

Buddy keeps telling me to buy Valheim and that its the best thing ever.

It's pretty good. I'd say on par with the forest as far as co-op survival games go.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jimlit posted:

It's pretty good. I'd say on par with the forest as far as co-op survival games go.

How is it solo?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I'm enjoying Valheim.
It's a 'little' janky but overall a decent co-op game.
I do recommend a closed server because people can just drop into your map take all your stuff and leave with it.
Characters are cross server.

This is a turtle you can go mining on before it sinks

Yggdrasil the world tree at night

You do NOT want to meet this guy too far out

This is me right before I died, right before I got to shore

Luckily your death marker floats and luckily someone else was just building our first real boat at that point

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 5, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

StarkRavingMad posted:

How is it solo?

Progression is through bosses, i.e. you dont get a pick until you get drops from the first boss.
The first boss is tough but totally soloable if you get your blocking and dodging down.
Chest loot doesnt have stuff like weapons and armor, thats all crafted, but does have items(cores) you need to build a smelter/forge/kiln etc.
Dungeons can be a little tight and tough to get the cores.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 5, 2021

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

How is it solo?

My wife won't let me play without her, but a lot of the fun so far has been the "holy poo poo why did you bring the troll back to our poo poo shack" moments. I think you would lose out on that kind of stuff solo.

I think it also scales difficulty based on players? There was something In the patch notes today that eluded to that.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Thanks for the info! I don't know if I'll pick it up right now but it's one to keep an eye on for sure

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah me and 2 buds played Valheim for like 5 hours, holy man its fun.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

ghostinmyshell posted:

I played through it. It's basically exactly what it looks like, but it's an amusing way to spend 2 hours. Some of the gags are pretty clever.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

I really wanted to like this game, because who wouldn't want to like a game with that premise, but the demo I played last year seemed designed to make the core trial-and-error gameplay loop as tedious as possible:

-Walk out and place cameras
-Manually walk back to cabin and record
-Manually check video to see if you successfully captured footage of squirrels
-If you did not, manually backtrack to where you left each camera and reposition in the hopes you'll catch a squirrel on camera this time
-Repeat ad infinitum

from the impressions and reviews, it doesn't sound like this has changed much in the final build, so it's a hard pass from me

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm not interested in survival games so I'm skipping Valheim but wow it's gorgeous.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Tried a few game demos so far, thought I'd write up my thoughts on them.

Potion Craft is an alchemy shop simulator, where you mix various reagents to create potions to sell to customers. Potions are created by navigating a 2D map of effects, where each ingredient takes you on a certain path - and by path, I mean that literally. Some go in sine or triangle waves, some do zigzags or lightning bolts, some go in spirals, and many more much weirder ways. Actually making the potions involve clicking and dragging various alchemy tools and ingredients around in a way that's reminiscent of Cooking Mama. You want your potion to end up in a spot with an active effect, such as healing or poison - and the closer you are to being dead center, the more potent the potion, with the highest potency requiring a very precise alignment with the effect. Complicating matters is the fact that there are zones in the alchemy map where no potion can cross, meaning you sometimes have to make detours to get to the desired endpoint. There are dozens of ingredients with wildly varying paths and costs, so striking a balance between effectiveness and controlling expenses ties together the alchemy and business sim aspects nicely. Once you've concocted the perfect potion once, you can then save by assigning it a slot in your alchemy book, ready to mix it again instantly so long as you have the components.

The business side of things is straightforward: every day, you have a stream of visitors, mostly customers but also including other characters, who all have their own requests. You can freely mix potions as you go, so you can just make them on demand if you wish. Most of your reagents you get for free from your garden every day, but you have no direct control over what grows (at least not in the demo), so purchasing from visiting vendors is another option.

The demo has enough content for an enjoyable hour or two of playtime, with indications that there are many more systems to come - ways to combine potion effects, some kind of alchemy machine in the basement which is disabled in the demo, a calendar where certain days are important (the vendors appear to be actual characters so I expect this to be a HM / SV like mechanic for birthdays and festivals), and so on. The art is done in a charming animated woodcut / manuscript style, and the whole presentation is cozy. Encountered no bugs. Will probably be a day one purchase for me assuming the price is reasonable (15 - 20$ I'd say.)

Slipways is hard to categorize - it's a sort of space empire / trade route / puzzle kind of game. You're the new governor of an unsettled star cluster, with a 25 year term and a mandate to develop the cluster as best you can in that timeframe. You take a cabinet of 3 (out of 5) races, which grant you access to certain technologies, abilities, and perks. Then you're presented with a fresh cluster, centered on your entry wormhole, where all you can see are unidentified sensor blips. By launching probes you can reveal the blips in an area, which can turn out to be planets, asteroids, or just nothing. The core of the game comes from settling planets and linking them together via trade routes, such that each planet is exporting something another planet needs, and having its own needs fulfilled in turn. The more import and export links a planet has, the greater its output and required input, and also development level (tax income and score) and happiness. However, most planets have several options for development - for example a terran type world could be developed as either a hive world requiring food and generating population, a farm world requiring machinery and yielding food, and something else I forget.

Technology is mostly acquired by building research labs and supplying them with pop and certain resources, sort of like a planet you can build.

Every action you take requires a certain amount of cash and months out of your 25 year term, so the puzzle aspect comes from managing your (turn based) time, and figuring out effective ways to link your planets together based on their positioning and what techs and racial bonuses you have. Speaking of time management - the game will let you undo every action, with the exception of ones that revealed new information to you (such as shooting out probes or linking up to goody huts with random rewards) forming a hard stop on the undo chain. So, you have some wiggle room when trying to puzzle out the perfect way to link your empire together. The racial bonuses are pretty diverse, with effects like 'not needing food' and 'can strap a rocket engine to a planet and move it around' in the pot.

The game is intended to take about an hour per playthrough, which was pretty accurate for the two I did. Also no bugs. A fresh new take on several concepts I like, I'd put it in the same category as Potion Craft as far as purchasing goes.

I'm still going through some more demos, should have a writeup on Almighty: Kill Your Gods by the end of the event, and maybe Winter Survival Simulator too.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Slipways sounds like my kinda thing, your description reminds me a bit of Space Tyrant https://store.steampowered.com/app/562230/Space_Tyrant/, which is another stripped down strategy game

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

E: Nevermind, I went ahead and refunded it.

If you're not already big fan of hardcore survival sims, Valheim won't change your mind. It's full of frustration in the guise of immersion.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 7, 2021

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you're not already big fan of hardcore survival sims, Valheim won't change your mind. It's full of frustration in the guise of immersion.

Ha, this is exactly me, and I know I'll still buy it soon and go "oh that one goon was right" in 3 hours of gameplay.

I really wish I liked survival sims. I enjoyed submarina a lot (even though I didn't finish it) but I can't play any other for more than a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Ha, this is exactly me, and I know I'll still buy it soon and go "oh that one goon was right" in 3 hours of gameplay.

I really wish I liked survival sims. I enjoyed submarina a lot (even though I didn't finish it) but I can't play any other for more than a few minutes.

Did you mean Subnautica? I was excited thinking there was another sub-type survival game out :haw:

I played a bit of the sequel but it was still pretty early access, great game and about the right level of "survival" for me in that I can turn off requiring food/water and just craft fancy sci fi doodads and buildings