Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1338770/Sniper_Ghost_Warrior_Contracts_2/

Sniper: Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 is pretty self-explanatory, a single player game where you shoot people in their testicles and stuff.

I fuckin love sniper games, but what in the hell is with these names? You don't have to add an additional word to the title every time you make a new game in a series. It's like, hello, I've spent 30 real-life minutes crawling into position so I can get the perfect "double-ball" shot, and you can't spend an equal amount of time coming up with a new name? It's really demeaning to testicle aficionados like myself.

edit: I agree with the excellent previous poster that the Sniper Elite series is superior. But hey, we take our balls where we can get 'em, eh?

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1264280/Slipways/

Slipways is an interesting-looking space strategy game which strips down and simplifies the experience, creating bite-sized games and a less steep learning curve where you join planets and systems together in certain ways.

Picked this up and played 6-7 hours yesterday. Like skeleton warrior said, it's essentially a randomized puzzle game. The first comparisons that come to mind are Islanders, Dorfromantik and Puzzlepelago. I'm having a lot of fun with it. The randomness is a valid criticism, and I find myself restarting a game a few times over before settling on one to play to the end, but personally it doesn't bother me. Runs are seeded so you can try to optimize your run on a known map if that's your thing. The UX is good, haven't seen any bugs so far. Replayability also seems good, still haven't touched the campaign (which seems to be a regular run but with additional objectives) or the ranked runs. For 15€ I'm pretty happy with it.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

I fuckin love sniper games, but what in the hell is with these names? You don't have to add an additional word to the title every time you make a new game in a series. It's like, hello, I've spent 30 real-life minutes crawling into position so I can get the perfect "double-ball" shot, and you can't spend an equal amount of time coming up with a new name? It's really demeaning to testicle aficionados like myself.

edit: I agree with the excellent previous poster that the Sniper Elite series is superior. But hey, we take our balls where we can get 'em, eh?

If they didn't, it would be mistaken as a follow-up to the greatest sniping game of all time: https://youtu.be/8kH1HI0Mh9c

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

David D. Davidson posted:

If they didn't, it would be mistaken as a follow-up to the greatest sniping game of all time: https://youtu.be/8kH1HI0Mh9c

No, that would be JFK Reloaded. :q:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you liked Hidden Folks, do try FIND ALL. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1642220/FIND_ALL/

It's a tiny game: for me, 23 minutes. You look at a line drawing of part of a town and find objects: birds, letters, raccoons. Each object you find turns colored. Whenever you find all of one object, you are prompted to find another.

I'm under a great deal of stress, and this was a chance to spend time out of my head. Nice music, pretty drawings. If this is the kind of thing you like, you will like it.

I really enjoyed this. For .89 cents over my morning coffee it was worth it. Took me 19 minutes, so yeah, it's short. But I am a sucker for doodle art, cute animals, and relaxing music. I enjoyed how it slowly colored in the artwork. I do wish there was more, I'd pay more, certainly.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/nifflas/status/1401206535531945990?s=21

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Is this Journey to the Microcosmos: The Game?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

nifflas is a fantastic developer so I'm sure that game is dope

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

quote:

Slipways is an interesting-looking space strategy game which strips down and simplifies the experience, creating bite-sized games and a less steep learning curve where you join planets and systems together in certain ways.

Since Slipways has been kind of divisive, I'd like to throw my hat in the "it's good" ring.

It is very much a puzzle game, and right now there seem to be factions that are definitely better than others, at least with how I play it. Keeping happiness up with properly fed systems is much more important than anything else, and getting science coming in early is super helpful for late run skills. You can hold alt on a planet to see all the potential trade options, and you can right click a trade choice to temporarily lock it in while investigating what routes you want to build out, and how they'll interact.

It's pretty rare you get an immediate bidirectional trade, you are usually bouncing at least 3 planets around to loop something properly (People -> Ore -> Robots -> Wheat -> People) ect. As planets level up, the number of outputs or inputs increases, which lets you take your loop and weave it into other routes you've made.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Thanks for bringing this up. I was in the mood for a deck builder roguelite and this is really scratching that itch. The world building is cool and the mechanics have been interesting. There’s some odd bugs and the classes seem pretty unbalanced but I’ve been having fun with it.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tiramisu posted:

Thanks for bringing this up. I was in the mood for a deck builder roguelite and this is really scratching that itch. The world building is cool and the mechanics have been interesting. There’s some odd bugs and the classes seem pretty unbalanced but I’ve been having fun with it.

I'm liking the story metaprogression, and the classes are different enough, but it feels like each only has one or maybe two possible builds each? The overworld is a bit confusing and the 3d navigation feels unnecessary, but it's a good deck builder.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

fez_machine posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1546920/Overboard/
Inkle, makers of text heavy games, 80 Days, Sorcery, and Heaven's Vault, have surprised released a new game Overboard!. It's a reverse whodunnit where the detective is the perpetrator [...]

Overboard is well done, but it needs to be pointed out that the it's a fixed scenario with multiple, complex routes. It does not generate new mysteries. Still a fun puzzle though. It reminds me of Majora's Mask in the way you observe and manipulate events. There are a whole lot of variety in character interactions and endings.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 6, 2021

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'm liking the story metaprogression, and the classes are different enough, but it feels like each only has one or maybe two possible builds each? The overworld is a bit confusing and the 3d navigation feels unnecessary, but it's a good deck builder.

This is my impression too. I’ve won with six of the classes and it seems like you really need to lean into one of their traits or the ultimate. I don’t mind though since they’re basically three archetypes of the same pool of cards as is and the way they use the same moves can be radically different. I have had some trait unlocks that have opened up a pretty big shift in play within a class though.

Agreed on the map being unnecessary. I would have preferred if they were just nodes but it’s not that big a deal either.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1601970/Tunguska_The_Visitation/

quote:

Tunguska: The Visitation is a top-down survival horror that brings you to the perilous Tunguska Exclusion Zone, where you'll face deadly traps, infectious mutants, bandits, and well-armed rogue military. Will you survive and thrive, or will you become Lost To The Zone?

quote:

It's a isometric/top down realistic(as realistic as it can be) shooter. It has a great inventory system and the enemies are challenging. The first hour of the game basically sets the tone and immersion but the game really opens up after 5 hours.
If you like games inspired by the Stalker universe this is perfect for you
[...]
Of course it's eurojank in some places but for a single developer and 4 years this is great, you will find many things that you will like. The guns feel and sound good, the grenades make a nice boom and the anomalies will scare you + other surprises

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/740040/Play_With_Gilbert__Remake/

"this came out in 2017 it's not fresh at all!"

yes, but I think it warrants a mention because in May it got a remake, and a free version dropped as well:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1359630/Play_With_Gilbert__A_Small_Tail/

quote:

With the remake, I knew what I was working towards but a lot of time has passed since the original's release and I'm not the same person I was back then. My daughter was 4 years old at the time of the original game's release and she's now 8. This offered me the chance to try and make Gilbert fun for young children as well as older ones.

The underlying idea was that capitalizing on how forgiving the game is, younger gamers most likely will not care for harder jumps if they can't make it and as they grow older and more familiar, they eventually will. This is what I experienced with my daughter. She's now a bona fide Gilbert expert.

Play With Gilbert has become a mixture of role-playing and traditional 3d open-world platformers. Customization was a fun little portion of the original but I felt it was incredibly under-utilized on my behalf. I've made sure that the customization aspect is now pretty deep and players should be able to go very far into creating a unique kitty. I hope that in the future I can expand on them even more but as it is, I'm rather quite happy with how it turned out.

What's completely new though, are unlockable items. A developer friend of my stressed the fact that adding such a mechanic would add a lot more fun to the game so I decided to give it a go. Each level now has a whole bunch of cat bells that can be collected. If a player collects 100 of them a new item unlocks. After that a selection of hats will be dropped from a different pool. These are the same hats that can be found in the levels themselves. This is done so that there's always something to drive players collecting cat bells.

If, however, players have unlocked everything and / or simply do not want to collect them anymore, you can turn on Role-Play mode. This turns the game back to how Play With Gilbert used to be. I felt it was important to keep the original gameplay alive as much as possible because not everyone wants a collect-a-thon.

Other new features are vehicles and other modes of transportation such as a glider. The completely new map, Down Town, is huge compared to the rest and after adding in vehicles, it was a lot of fun to just play in. Me and my daughter ended up roleplaying so much on there that I decided to add in more small mechanics to embrace that play style. Adding in doors, showers, flushable toilets and physics objects just for the fun of it. We would carry around food and drink items, settle on a spot and role-play eating and drinking, or whatever else crazy stuff we'd come up with.

So, for the past week I've slept very little and am currently super tired yet it's been a lot of fun. I've been so incredibly busy trying to tie up loose ends and fixing bugs and adding in quality of life improvements that I feel the game is at a very healthy state and I am proud to share it with everyone.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Donnerberg posted:

Overboard is well done, but it needs to be pointed out that the it's a fixed scenario with multiple, complex routes. It does not generate new mysteries. Still a fun puzzle though. It reminds me of Majora's Mask in the way you observe and manipulate events. There are a whole lot of variety in character interactions and endings.

I do like that it's a single fixed scenario, actually. Makes it more of a puzzle that you slowly unfold rather than a simpler puzzle you have to repeat multiple times.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1319550/Power_of_Ten/

Early access

quote:

A single star fighter trying to save as many civilians as possible before they are overrun by a marauder armada. You'll need to gather new weapons, upgrade your ship, find resources, trade with other ships and more to overcome the challenge before you.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

Daedalus1134 posted:

Since Slipways has been kind of divisive, I'd like to throw my hat in the "it's good" ring.

It is very much a puzzle game, and right now there seem to be factions that are definitely better than others, at least with how I play it. Keeping happiness up with properly fed systems is much more important than anything else, and getting science coming in early is super helpful for late run skills. You can hold alt on a planet to see all the potential trade options, and you can right click a trade choice to temporarily lock it in while investigating what routes you want to build out, and how they'll interact.

It's pretty rare you get an immediate bidirectional trade, you are usually bouncing at least 3 planets around to loop something properly (People -> Ore -> Robots -> Wheat -> People) ect. As planets level up, the number of outputs or inputs increases, which lets you take your loop and weave it into other routes you've made.

Slipways is siiiick. I love connecting three or four planets together in a big loop.

The theming is kind of awkward though, it feels more like an OpenTTD style game than a 4X game. It would work better if the planets were cities or industrial plants, and the slipways were train lines or something. Though that might be because I played a lot of OpenTTD recently.

My only REAL complaint is the teleporters. They really shouldn't be in the game, considering that they're just a cheaper and more broken infraspace relay.

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 7, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

kalthir posted:

Picked this up and played 6-7 hours yesterday. Like skeleton warrior said, it's essentially a randomized puzzle game. The first comparisons that come to mind are Islanders, Dorfromantik and Puzzlepelago. I'm having a lot of fun with it. The randomness is a valid criticism, and I find myself restarting a game a few times over before settling on one to play to the end, but personally it doesn't bother me. Runs are seeded so you can try to optimize your run on a known map if that's your thing. The UX is good, haven't seen any bugs so far. Replayability also seems good, still haven't touched the campaign (which seems to be a regular run but with additional objectives) or the ranked runs. For 15€ I'm pretty happy with it.

Yeah I played it a bit myself. Dorfromantik is a good comp, although it's more demanding and less chill than that one. I have mixed feelings to be honest. It's kind of a puzzle game, but the kind where you just kind of do what you can rather than find some specific and clever solution. I like it to some extent, but at some point I just find myself checking and rechecking planets over and over trying to find a move that actually makes sense. There is a "perfect" way to do each map, I suppose, so that's kind of neat, but it didn't really get me going.

Can't recommend this one enough. It really is a platformer without platforms, and it really does work. The controls are super tight, there's enough challenge to make it fun, and my goodness... the art and music is just out of this world. These beautiful designs that look like a felt tip marker on frosted glass, mixed in with interesting platformer mechanics. Huge hit imo and with it being 4.49 USD right now at launch, totally worth it.

New games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1299360/Mighty_Goose/

Benn playing this a lot this weekend, it's drat fun. Metal Slug Goose Game I suppose, real title is Mighty Goose. Just fun run and gun action, with powerups and tons of enemies and vehicles and stuff. Perfect amount of challenge in my opinion where you will die but can learn quickly.

quote:

Traveling the galaxy, hunting down evil. This is the life of Mighty Goose. One of the galaxy's most credited bounty hunters!

At the core Mighty Goose is a tight side scrolling run & gun shooter that will test your skill, timing, reflexes. Building upon that solid arcade base, the game adds a ton of crazy weapons, warmachines, upgrades and secrets.

Assume the role of Mighty Goose and bring the fight to the Void King. This galaxy conquering monarch commands a vast army of minions and mechanised monsters. Dealing with these baddies means traveling to distant worlds and facing all kinds of dangers. But not to worry, this is no problem for the legendary Mighty Goose!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1525660/Sunblaze/

Sunblaze is a very Celeste-like room-based platformer. The small, hand-crafted levels are almost half puzzle game and half platformer. You need to figure out exactly what combination of moves will get you what you need, then execute them which can be easier said than done. Pretty cool little game. Tough as well, I died dozens of times just in the first few series of rooms, not sure how far it goes beyond that.

quote:

”Whose blood is that on the walls?” -Josie

Josie is up for a challenge. Her dad, a retired superhero, has fixed his superhero training simulator and lets Josie go in there to play around a bit. After all, show us a parent who wouldn't want to train their daughter to be a superhero? But then suddenly the training room goes rogue, and... Josie is up for a challenge.

In this tough, hand-crafted precision platformer, you’ll play as Josie, aka. Sunblaze, with a mission to complete your superhero training. The training room is full of puzzles, brain-tickling challenges, obstacles, TNT, spikes, drones... And a purrfect sidekick: the cat. You have got a cat. What else do you need?

Well, skills. That’s what you need. The ever-changing training room keeps on bringing you challenge after challenge, and you'll stay glued up on your controller for hours.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Daedalus1134 posted:

I think the thing that really dampens my enthusiasm about this game is that it feels like there's not just one layer of RNG that can screw you (that would probably be manageable) but I keep running into situations where even if the right planets are in the vicinity of each other, whoops you can't make a connection because they're one centimeter too far apart, or even worse there's a planet in the way that if it were 3 degrees to the right everything would be fine. Feels really bad

Updog Scully posted:

The theming is kind of awkward though, it feels more like an OpenTTD style game than a 4X game. It would work better if the planets were cities or industrial plants, and the slipways were train lines or something. Though that might be because I played a lot of OpenTTD recently.

I think the biggest theme break is that for being based on trade, the fact that resources can't continue on a slipway chain and thus make planets feel more often like roadblocks rather than nodes, is completely off

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1105670/The_Last_Spell/

Early Access -- The Last Spell:

Rogue-lite Final Fantasy Tactics meets horde/tower defense. Protect the mages in the center of the town that are trying to cast the spell to end all spells and rid the world of the magic that has destroyed the world. Complete achievements to unlock permanent upgrades, and earn currency to buy other upgrades for the next playthrough, because you're going to fail a lot before you finally succeed in completing the spell.

More complete than I expected for an Early Access, 20 hours in and I've barely scratched the unlockables and still haven't tried all the different weapon/spell types. Quite fun, I might actually succeed in completing a spell cast on my next playthrough, not sure if that changes anything. I'm hoping the devs put some real love into this game because I could play it for a long time if they pump out content.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think the thing that really dampens my enthusiasm about this game is that it feels like there's not just one layer of RNG that can screw you (that would probably be manageable) but I keep running into situations where even if the right planets are in the vicinity of each other, whoops you can't make a connection because they're one centimeter too far apart, or even worse there's a planet in the way that if it were 3 degrees to the right everything would be fine. Feels really bad

That's all valid points, but at the same time the game gives you plenty of tools to alleviate that. There's tech to move planets, there's relays, there's tech to destroy planets that are blocking you, there's a crapload of alternate 'recipes' for planets, there's robot<->human swapping tech, and then there's energy which you can substitute for anything. Imo the starting council setup that you get in the tutorial is strong as heck tech-wise.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

grate deceiver posted:

That's all valid points, but at the same time the game gives you plenty of tools to alleviate that. There's tech to move planets, there's relays, there's tech to destroy planets that are blocking you, there's a crapload of alternate 'recipes' for planets, there's robot<->human swapping tech, and then there's energy which you can substitute for anything. Imo the starting council setup that you get in the tutorial is strong as heck tech-wise.

Yeah, but as counter-points, what techs you have access to is random, so you may not have access to those. Or you may have access to energy production but none of the planets that produce energy, or they may not be near circuit production so they’ll always be struggling etc etc etc. And to get tech in the first place involves having a good enough start that you can spare the cash and time to build it, and planets/extra goods in combo to supply it. So the game doesn’t always give you the tools you need, or give them to you when you need them.

At heart, every time you roll up a map and sponsors, it’s a chance to be a fun puzzle and a chance to be a frustrating, pointless time-waste you have to re-roll. In my experience with it, I’ve gotten two double-platinum star ratings and fifty “gently caress this poo poo guess I restart”s and that’s not a ratio that’s satisfying to me. Maybe I’m bad at the game, maybe our tolerances are different, it’s cool.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I haven't played Slipways but it kinda sounds like a roguelite strategy game, is that accurate?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I humbly ask all of you to take Slipways chat to the Puzzle Games megathread where it belongs. I'm asking because if you keep talking about it I'll buy it and I'm trying to be good with my wallet for once!!

e: To be clear I'm not a games mod, I'm asking as a denizen of this thread. Trying to keep it more newsletter/impressions so it doesn't turn into the steam thread 2.0.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 7, 2021

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It's more of a puzzle game than a strategy game. You generate a random map, you try to connect planets in ways that build them up and make you money, and you invest in tech and do missions to help with that and to earn more points for your Final Rating. You're not competing with anything other than the map and your sense of self-satisfaction, and there's no strategy or victory condition; there's just making connections that, aside from tech, are the same from game to game, and "how many rating stars did I earn with the points I got".

Edit:
^^^Roger, sorry, I'll stop derailing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1586270/Katjas_Abyss_Tactics/

quote:

A turn-based tactics game with pixel graphics and procedurally generated levels with minesweeping mechanics. Dig through caves, collecting and managing resources, and fend off monsters in turn-based combat.

quote:

It puts actual mining in Mine Sweeper! Like others have said, it has a lot of similarities to Advance Wars and it really does work surprisingly well combining that with Mine Sweeper elements.

Also apparently in the Queer Games Bundle:

https://itch.io/b/861/queer-games-bundle-2021
https://itch.io/b/862/queer-games-bundle-2021-pay-what-you-can-edition

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Gah, this looks like Escape Velocity....dope as hell

Play
Apr 25, 2006

External Organs posted:

Gah, this looks like Escape Velocity....dope as hell

I played it a bit recently, it's still in early access so some can be forgiven but from what I could gather you go from star system to star system collecting resources by destroying rocks and bad guy ships and using them to "save" people on the planet. The whole "story" is shown in a tiny little window in the bottom right corner which is a strange choice. None of the combat seemed to have much difficulty at all, it was more difficult just figuring out what should be done next.

On the plus side it is good-looking imo, I really like the look, and the controls work decently. Just needs a lot more content and is a bit...inscrutable I guess I might call it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1578760/Ember_Knight_Solitaire/

quote:

Your quest is to discover the Ember Knight's treasure. Along the way you will need to show strength and determination as you will meet danger and evil along the way. There will be obstacles to overcome and battles to conquer.

quote:

“One of the more complex solitaire games released, it doesn’t restrict itself to this genre, and instead borrows mechanics from Match 3, Blackjack, HOGs, topping all of the above with a nice RPG feel.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1178230/The_Wild_Case/

quote:

The Wild Case is a 2D first-person point-and-click adventure. In this story-focused adventure, players meet a cast of colorful characters, experience mysterious encounters, and solve puzzles to progress through the game.

quote:

“A fine adventure game that looks like a HOG but isn't one (no HO scenes, minigames or collectibles), which focuses on telling the story of a remote Slavic village attacked by wild beasts with red eyes”

https://store.steampowered.com/app/865610/Backbone/

Has a demo

quote:

Backbone is a post-noir roleplaying detective adventure. Become raccoon private eye Howard Lotor as you interrogate a diverse cast of characters, collect evidence, and explore dystopian Vancouver, BC inhabited by animals.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1417310/Dead_TD/

quote:

Dead TD is a tower defense game that was inspired by the old school original maps from WC3. It features a wide range of towers that upgrade into more powerful types and features a range of different abilities that can be used to create the ultimate defense.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1578250/Warplane_inc/

Warplane Inc is a 2d mission-based warplane thingy with a bit of narrative and an upgrade path.

quote:

Warplane inc is a 2D flight simulator in which the player will get acquainted with the history of a hypothetical war, the stories of its heroes and victims, as well as the development of military aviation. Learn to fly, win your missions and earn money to upgrade your plane and weapons. Finally buy a nuclear bomb and ... can you press the button? If you start it, you have no chance to stopping it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1620970/Blue_Rabbit/

Blue Rabbit is a fast paced cyberpunk-aesthetic platformer with a bit of combat and a 16 bit look.

quote:

You find yourself in a futuristic dystopian city. You get the idea: Dark smog. A rogue A.I. Corporate drones. Actual, literal drones. The whole enchilada. In this fast-paced 2D platformer, you play as Arisu, a Runner tasked to deliver the ambiguous Blue Rabbit "packages". Traverse the roofs of giant skyscrapers and explore the dangerous metropolis. Unlock upgrades in order to uncover new areas.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1323540/Aerial_Knights_Never_Yield/

Aerial Knight's Never Yield is a 3D-looking (but 2D in action) endless runner set in a future Detroit with what should be a pretty bangin' soundtrack. Made by a Detroiter named Neil Jones.

quote:

Take the role of Wally. A mysterious character that has recovered what was taken from him. Hopefully, you're fast enough to outrun your enemies. Expose the truth and try to uncover the mystery of what happened to them. With an average runtime of an action movie (about an hour and a half on Normal), a first run of this action-packed adventure can be enjoyed in an afternoon. Afterwards you can improve your score.

Aerial_Knight's Never Yield is a 3D side-scroller that plays much like a classic endless runner. The game has an interesting story that keeps players always in motion. Run, Jump, Slide or "Dash" for acrobatic variants leading to dope combinations and avoid the challenges that await. Aerial_Knight's Never Yield is being built for players who love to speedrun games while being an experience that casual players will enjoy as well.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1367300/Blade_Assault/

Blade Assault is a very nice-looking roguelite action platformer hack and slash that just released in early access. Reminiscent of Dead Cells or Foregone but with art that is more my style and what looks like a larger moveset.

quote:

Blade Assault is a 2D action rogue-lite platformer with beautiful pixel art set in a desolate sci-fi world. Fight against the corrupt military of Esperanza as part of the resistance force of the Undercity. Bring the corrupt to justice by becoming stronger and fighting alongside your trusty comrades.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
New train game dropping soon: Rail Route

quote:

Rail Route is a tycoon/management game based on railroad dispatching. Control the traffic, build out your own network, then optimize and expand. Unlock new technologies, upgrade the infrastructure, and automate operations! Design and share your own maps with the in-game editor.

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

Demo is the only good part of this game, hot garbage and it manages to be good JUST long enough to not be able to refund once it all goes to poo poo

selan dyin fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 9, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

BALLS DILDO posted:

Demo is the only good part of this game, hot garbage and it manages to be good JUST long enough to not be able to refund once it all goes to poo poo

Can you elaborate on how it becomes a bad game?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I played a tiny bit last night, I don't think I got to whatever twist people seem to dislike but it's a very, very simple game. Not a lot going on in terms of thought or gameplay, you can pretty much just doofus your way through the entire thing. Pixel art is very beautiful, no doubt about that, but it seems a bit of an empty package overall. Remains to be seen about the story, at least for me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pros to Play checking out new games and writing them up: more games, more opinions, and I'm not the only one keeping this thread going! :toot:

Cons: I have to check that I'm not double-posting a game, curse this tiny annoyance :v:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1606620/Train_Tycoon/

quote:

Manage your own train company! Be a businessman in the train industry, with control over everything in your business. Work, earn, invest and expand!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/269190/Edge_Of_Eternity/

Came out of EA

quote:

Wage epic turn-based battles as you follow Daryon and Selene on their quest to find a cure to the all-consuming Corrosion in this grand tale of hope and sacrifice.

quote:

"A welcome shout out to the old FF era JRPGs. The unfinished content in EA is high quality w/ great combat, an inviting gem system, & some pretty cheesy voice acting."

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1497110/Melodramatica/

Free, Early Access

quote:

A charming management game set in an old Victorian Threatre.Being put in charge of a troupe of actors, it's your job to make sure your actors and the stage are ready to put on a perfect show! Train your actors, resolve their conflicts, dress up your troupe and set the stage for the final play!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Pros to Play checking out new games and writing them up: more games, more opinions, and I'm not the only one keeping this thread going! :toot:

It's rewarding to me because I have bad ADD, games bore me quickly so I love discovering new ones.

New Games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1642890/Disc_Golf_Valley/

Disc Golf Valley used to be a mobile game, but I love disc golf so I thought I'd put it up here. Simple but fun gameplay.

quote:

Disc Golf Valley is a Disc Golf Game aiming to capture the thrill and excitement of playing real Disc Golf.

Features
14 spectacular courses.
Thousands of unique discs to collect and throw.
Challenge mode where you get to challenge each course and unlock new discs.
Tournament mode.
Three different practice modes.
Pro shop where you can buy new discs.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1422190/Fuzz_Force_Spook_Squad/

Fuzz Force: Spook Squad is a dicebuilder in stead of a deckbuilder that uses dice which you contrinually upgrade and improve and change around in battles.

quote:

Roll into a dicey deckbuilder set in a spooky board game world. Capture ghosts as the elite Spook Squad using their customisable Dice-Powered weaponry. Navigate eerie areas filled with battles, treasure and random events on your mission to capture the ghoulish PolterPrince.

Four unique characters offer their own strengths in battles through upgradeable stats. Unlock additional weapons to modify how each plays.

Upgrade your Dice-powered weaponry by finding stronger dice and passive ability modules. Discover the synergies between the dice, their status effects, modules and your character's skills for a highly customisable playstyle.

Also there are new pc ports of Wings of Darkness, No More Heroes 1 and No More Heroes 2

Play fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 9, 2021

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

fun things IMO abouit the prologue are having choices, stealth and puzzle mechanics, neo noir setting

these all stop existing after prologue, its extremely linear, all the introduced mechanics get forgotten, story goes in a weird bizarre tangent with no closure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I can't speak for them of course, but I was also really disappointed with the game.

In the prologue you have things like a stealth section and a puzzle you have to solve in order to get past a door, and that never happens again.
No seriously, the one puzzle in the demo is literally the only puzzle in the entire game.
After that the game is basically a visual novel, one with zero interesting mechanics, the whole game is just you examining everything that pops up and exhausting dialogue options until the next scene begins.

And as for the twist, I won't spoil it, but I didn't really care for the story after it happened, the story tries to become, introspective I think, but it's honestly just really silly and has no where near enough time to examine everything that happens.
Like, it's trying to mash the Film Noir aspects together with what happens after and it just didn't work for me at all.

One of the more interesting plot threads is resolved when you randomly stumble into a person involved in it who just straight up tells you what happened, no further investigation needed.

And most of the rest aren't resolved at all, the ending is meant to be open but it just makes the whole story feel pointless.
Honestly, the more I think about the story, the more issues I can find with it, like some parts just didn't have a whole lot of thought put into them.

Oh! And the game has no manual saves, just one auto save, so if I wanted to see if I missed anything or if I misunderstood something I would have to play the whole game again.

Pulsarcat fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 10, 2021