Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Play posted:

Also got a question for you guys. Would you rather I keep doing timg or would it be better to have a full picture of the game that stretches across the entire post window?

you can embed Steam trailers directly which I find the preferable way for this kind of thread as gifs and pictures only tell the half of it. If not, timg is the way

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256839122/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1623816442

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

haldolium posted:

you can embed Steam trailers directly which I find the preferable way for this kind of thread as gifs and pictures only tell the half of it. If not, timg is the way

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256839122/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1623816442

I generally hate steam trailers, they’re all these FMV/anime narrative exposition dumps that don’t show you the actual gameplay. I always wonder why they do those, they must be expensive to produce.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

can't say I had that experience recently. most devs on steam and elsewhere know trailer 1x1 marketing well enough today to have a typical 1-3 min. trailer showing the essence of the game. the above linked from the recommendation earlier is the perfect example, shows off the game well enough and reflects good on the review score as well, as the camera will become your enemy eventually but it looks neat enough to be enjoyable for some.

that said I noticed it wont convert in the app so maybe not the best idea anyways.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

JackBandit posted:

I generally hate steam trailers, they’re all these FMV/anime narrative exposition dumps that don’t show you the actual gameplay. I always wonder why they do those, they must be expensive to produce.

welcome to nearly every game trailer ever

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just played Ambition: A Minuet in Power start-to-finish. It took 4.4 hours and I wasn't tempted to replay to see different endings. The art is really lovely, as is the music, but the plot and the decision tree are very shallow. For instance, there's one character you're making friends with who keeps asking you for a rendez-vous. The entire rendez-vous goes the same, screen by screen and word by word, every time; you have no choices to make, just click click click. The basic plot grind is "go to a party where you make social choices, go sell the rumors, go buy clothes, go visit a plot-choice spot on the map." I won too easily, even though I made some serious mistakes. In the end, all you have to do is keep your Peril below 50% during the poor man's Phoenix Wright at the end, and you win. Furthermore, I was able to make the Crown win over the Revolution even though all the flavor text was about the Crown loving up. Seriously, just leak enough secrets that make the Revolution look bad, and somehow you can keep all the other factions on their side.

I wish this were a better game. It winds up being grindy and circular: as far as I could tell, when you made a genuinely bad decision you could grind your way out of it relatively easily.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Hey all, I just found out about Tainted Grail: Conquest, which is a loving gorgeous deckbuilder roguelite, very much in the vein of good old Slay the Spire, that scratches that "ramp to infinity" roguelite power-trip itch harder than I've seen in a long time. A quick search of this thread showed it hadn't been mentioned yet, but it released back in May and holy poo poo, it's amazing and beautiful and when you're doing well, you feel like a god. It's got a touch of the "bleak for bleakness' sake" fantasy theming going on, but the story's going in intriguingly meta directions, the player is offered real chances and reasons to fix things instead of just being a vague blob of vagueness vaguely pushing forward for their own reasons, and the systems all play into each other in fun and meaningful ways.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Somfin posted:

Hey all, I just found out about Tainted Grail: Conquest, which is a loving gorgeous deckbuilder roguelite, very much in the vein of good old Slay the Spire, that scratches that "ramp to infinity" roguelite power-trip itch harder than I've seen in a long time. A quick search of this thread showed it hadn't been mentioned yet, but it released back in May and holy poo poo, it's amazing and beautiful and when you're doing well, you feel like a god. It's got a touch of the "bleak for bleakness' sake" fantasy theming going on, but the story's going in intriguingly meta directions, the player is offered real chances and reasons to fix things instead of just being a vague blob of vagueness vaguely pushing forward for their own reasons, and the systems all play into each other in fun and meaningful ways.

You can't post that without posting the boss theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjmp2r2OsZ4&t=46s

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

victrix posted:

You can't post that without posting the boss theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjmp2r2OsZ4&t=46s

Goddamn that thing rules but also it sticks right the heck in your brain for the rest of your existence

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Somfin posted:

Yeah, I really like this one, too. I got it free since I backed the board game Kickstarter, but I would have been happy with it even if I bought it. I particularly like the different variations on the summoner/necro class.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Bought The Ascent last week and have been enjoying cyberpunk Diablo, except for all the crashes. If you keep it on DX11 and don't have any programs open that interact with it (Steam overlay, Discord at all), it runs just fine.

Crouching behind cover and blind-firing over the top of it is your friend.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The Guild of Dungeoneering remake has a demo out. They've also announced that it's free for anyone who had the original. For those that don't know it's a great little roguelite where you use cards for both building the dungeons and doing combat. I normally hate card based games but this one gelled with me. Oh and there's plenty of singing.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/317820/view/2958289536247702935

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF0eFotat2k

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Hoa has been released today

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1484900/Hoa/

quote:

Hoa is a beautiful puzzle-platforming game that features breathtaking hand-painted art, lovely music, and a peaceful, relaxing atmosphere. Experience the magic of nature and imagination as you play the main character, Hoa, on her journey through breathtaking environments back to where it all began.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1700680/Ki11er_Clutter/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzO7GV2auCM

:toot: It's finally on steam!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Even the trailer for this game is stressing me out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

Even the trailer for this game is stressing me out.

You can turn off the timer and make the pieces stop moving if you want a more chill experience!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Aliens: Fireteam Elite came out. That is all

Definitely getting Hoa, and kind of curious about Ki11er Clutter too never really played a game exactly like that

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, I really like this one, too. I got it free since I backed the board game Kickstarter, but I would have been happy with it even if I bought it. I particularly like the different variations on the summoner/necro class.

Is is the same storyline as the board game?

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

drat Strix I just purchased the bundle of all of these games on Steam cause this looks exactly like my poo poo!

e: Also love supporting small one person dev teams :D

bovis fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 24, 2021

Wulf
May 8, 2008
King's Bounty 2, the latest in a series of several games that themselves came several years after the original King's Bounty on DOS, is out today.

It's kind of related to the heroes of might and magic series, but more centered around a single character instead of a faction taking over cities.

The early Steam reviews are pretty negative, however. Seems to be about a lack of polish.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1135300/Kings_Bounty_II/

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The critic reviews on Metacritic also looked to be pretty mixed on King's Bounty 2. I haven't played any games in the series, I just noticed the reviews when I was browsing that site the other day.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Fate Accomplice posted:

Is is the same storyline as the board game?

No, the board game is much more narrative and has a focus on keeping the Menhirs lit

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

For anybody hyped about it, I just went to preload Psychonauts 2 for tomorrow because it said August 25th release date and that poo poo is already OUT!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Well I played Hoa, and beat it one sitting. Time well spent, I enjoyed it a lot, but it's not a long game by any means. Or a particularly challenging one. Absolutely gorgeous though, very polished and just beautiful from start to finish. Judging by the end credits it was also made primarily in Vietnam which is also cool for me as I lived there for a couple years in my 20s.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Wildermyth is really good

i guess it's not super new but i just started playing it

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Psychonauts 2 just dropped.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

wyoak posted:

Wildermyth is really good

i guess it's not super new but i just started playing it

I liked it up until a point where I was getting hit from 2 sides and I had to split up to 2 small teams (on the overworld map) and replayed it multiple times and just got overwhelmed every time.
Which kinda frustrated me and i gave it a rest.
Will have to start a new game if I want to keep going.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1634150/Behind_the_Frame_The_Finest_Scenery/

Behind the Frame: The Finest Scenery (what a name) is a casual interactive fiction game with a lot of story and relaxed gameplay.

quote:

Guide brush strokes and solve a variety of puzzles to help an aspiring artist complete her masterpiece amid her brusque neighbor’s gaze and his pesky cat. As her painting starts to take shape, uncover an emotional tale of chance and artistry revealed behind unrelated yet familiar moments.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/930280/Murder_Mystery_Machine/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256840198/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1624463793

Murder Mystery Machine is an investigative point and click mystery game that looks kind of interesting.

quote:

Join the District Crime Agency in this isometric, modern noir deduction thriller. Explore crime scenes in complex dioramas, organize your evidence effectively, and blur the lines between right and wrong to present your case. Do you have what it takes to be a real detective?

On her first day at the DCA, fresh-faced rookie Cassandra Clarke, is teamed with a reluctant burnt-out detective, Nate Huston, to investigate the murder of a prominent politician. While all evidence points to a botched robbery, it soon entwines the two detectives into a complex, interconnected series of crimes that are anything but an open-and-shut case.

Also it looks like Ultimate ADOM: Caverns of Chaos was fully released on steam

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Serin Fate

quote:

Evil is afoot... Wielding your new Magic, bound into mysterious Monster-infested lands to uncover ancient relics and restore the Fate Stone. Along the way, explore the depths of every nook to find creatures, garner ingredients, train in Witchery, and craft new equipment.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256847496/movie480_vp9.webm

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Wulf posted:

King's Bounty 2, the latest in a series of several games that themselves came several years after the original King's Bounty on DOS, is out today.

It's kind of related to the heroes of might and magic series, but more centered around a single character instead of a faction taking over cities.

The early Steam reviews are pretty negative, however. Seems to be about a lack of polish.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1135300/Kings_Bounty_II/

I was really interested in this as a big HoMM III fan. But they decided to drop the camera to over the shoulder, invest in outdated open world RPG tropes, and bolt that onto the KB formula. From what I’ve read the tactical combat is great, but as I’d expect, the flailing attempt at turning it into The Witcher/Dragon Age hampers the overall package. I’m really interested, but not $60 interested. If anyone does take the plunge, I’d love to hear impressions because this is like the only game of its kind out there that one can get for consoles AFAIK.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1675620/Last_Light/

Last Light is a Japanese (I believe) 3/4 view horror/mystery game with a kind of nice look

quote:

En route to a scare game, Lumi realizes that she is suddenly alone. Then, appears the old abandoned hospital... Explore throughout the tragedy-stricken hospital. Search for the student IDs of Lumi's classmates. And find out what really happened. Maybe all you need is the courage to "flee?"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I highly, highly recommend Behind the Frame. It's a reasonably simple point-and-click adventure; some of the puzzles are solved by remembering and painting objects you've seen. The music is wistful and beautiful, the animations are prime, and the plot pays off. I spent an hour and a half on it, and it was a peaceful, relaxed, hour and a half. It's a lovely game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Somfin posted:

Psychonauts 2 just dropped.

Followup: It's good, it's a true sequel to the original, it's fun, it's well voice-acted, and it's gorgeous

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Somfin posted:

Followup: It's good, it's a true sequel to the original, it's fun, it's well voice-acted, and it's gorgeous

Any serious bugs?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

Any serious bugs?

None that I've found! It did start me out on low visual settings, which was a touch on the ugly side but my system had no trouble with max settings once I popped open the menu. It's got that 3d platformer game edges jank you'd expect but usually in favour of the player.

The only real problem I've seen is that it's a bit heavy on the cutscenes, which is fair, but they're usually pretty short and engaging and hit where you'd expect them to. And you can't swap A and B for menus.

It's also a far more engaging and character-driven story than the first game.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

ultrafilter posted:

Any serious bugs?

Can only speak for myself but after 10 hours of play I've only encountered a couple of minor ones. Once a wave of enemies didn't spawn and I had to restart the combat encounter, and examining certain items in the inventory locked up my game a couple of times. Both of those only set me back a couple of minutes.

I've had some stuttering but I'm 99% sure that's just my ancient CPU struggling to keep up on occasion. Otherwise it's been smooth.

Staying out of the dedicated thread to avoid spoilers so I don't know what the experience has been like for others, though.

I'll second Somfin - the game is very, very good. Completely understands what people loved about the first, delivers more of that and adds improvements on top. It's a joy.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Been playing Psychonauts 2 all day yesterday, and while I think it's a good game, I don't feel it quite lives up to its predecessor.
The narratives for a lot of the levels feel weaker, and there's been a few I didn't really like at all, which didn't really happen with the first one.
The person-to-person dialogue is solid though, about as good as the first one, and I feel the gameplay is vastly improved.

On a minor note, I like the design of basically all the important characters, but hate the generic mooks in the motherlobe.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 26, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1371750/TMinus_30/

quote:

Plan a city and build a space fleet to escape a dying Earth before time runs out. You have 30 minutes to scavenge a post-apocalyptic environment to build infrastructure, grow crops, generate power, and assemble rockets to save as many people as you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBPdjvK7dyk

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Very interesting preview video Strix - thanks for providing!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1574250/SPOOKWARE/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256846874/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1628976776

SPOOKWARE is a strange looking little game with tons of microgames and some sort of overarching plot. It has skeletons, which I think we can all agree is pretty badass. Seems to be getting solid reviews and I have to admit to being a little interested. It kind of looks slightly familiar, maybe someone already put this in this thread or another one not sure.

quote:

Join the three skelebros -Lefti, Midi, and Righti- on a grand road trip through the cutesy world of the dead. After realizing they wasted their lives watching horror movies, they decide to embark on a big adventure.

Spanning across 4 episodes released separately, each containing 3 chapters with their own area, microgames, mechanics, and story!

Meet all sorts of boney folk and get into heaps of trouble. Before you know it, you'll be well on your way to solving a murder mystery on a cruise ship or starting a high school band to skip out on class.

Challenge yourself with a wide collection of blazing-fast microgames themed around horror tropes. Featuring over a hundred microgames you're sure to get shaken to your bones! Each game takes only a few seconds, so you'll have to use your wits to survive the onslaught of wildly different blood-curling games. From frantically decapitating some poor guy's head to filing your taxes, the horror never ends!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I highly, highly recommend Behind the Frame. It's a reasonably simple point-and-click adventure; some of the puzzles are solved by remembering and painting objects you've seen. The music is wistful and beautiful, the animations are prime, and the plot pays off. I spent an hour and a half on it, and it was a peaceful, relaxed, hour and a half. It's a lovely game.

Agreed. It is so insanely good-looking. Doesn't really look exactly like any other video game. I will warn interested parties that it is very short. For me that is completely made up for by its good qualities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Play posted:

Agreed. It is so insanely good-looking. Doesn't really look exactly like any other video game. I will warn interested parties that it is very short. For me that is completely made up for by its good qualities.
Yeah. Game ratios aren't just dollars spent/hours played, but dollars spent/happiness. I was really happy playing Behind the Frame. See also FIND ALL, a peaceful and beautiful hidden-object game, and an absolute steal at $.99.