Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA7aG1C5FU0
Neon White is a correctly assembled video game. You are an assassin doing contract killings in heaven, for John Cena. Clear levels as fast as possible, and then do it again.

The developers (who made Donut County) claim that this is a game, "By Freaks, for Freaks." I kind of blew this off as meaningless marketing hype, appealing to the mountain dew crowd. But no, this game is for weirdos. While the core experience is simplistic, with fairly easy stages and non-threatening enemies, the fun comes not from beating but mastering the levels. Only after you score an S-Rank do the leaderboards for a stage appear. Your quest to dominate the leaderboards STARTS when you've mastered a level, and gets more irrational from there.

I did this level entirely in free fall! HOW DID THEY GET A SECOND UP ON ME I will destroy them.

But after you've collected every hidden package and S ranked every single stage, you unlock White's Heaven Rush. Play through all 96 stages, including all three boss fights, with infinite lives, for fastest overall completion. Optionally: Randomize the level order. Right now the world record's just over seventy minutes for Heaven Rush, but it's going down fast.

And when you've done battling to be the best, do White's Hell Rush. Defeat all 96 stages, in a random order, on one life. Your hit points persist between levels. And you KNOW there's a leaderboard.

Then do both tasks again, but with all your weapons changed to work differently.

It's also well written. This is Neon Yellow! He's White's best friend. What a nice guy, I'm sure he was damned to hell as an administrative mistake. I bet you can turn your back on him.

If you want to get sweaty and polish your OCD to a mirror sheen, Neon White is super great.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Mystic Mongol posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA7aG1C5FU0
Neon White is a correctly assembled video game. You are an assassin doing contract killings in heaven, for John Cena. Clear levels as fast as possible, and then do it again.

..... Your quest to dominate the leaderboards STARTS when you've mastered a level, and gets more irrational from there.

Just wanted to pop in and warn people that the leaderboards are beginning to bloat up with impossible scores. The game itself is still extremely satisfying and fun to play, but the quest to be the very best is slightly damaged by the fact that there are thousands of completely fictitious times.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Hwurmp posted:

I thought it was just another dumb gacha, but if it foments gender antagonism maybe it's worth a closer look

So, in Girls Frontline, there's a gun that everyone wants to gently caress, Type95. You can give her an oath ring by paying real life money, which gives you the intimate, personal relationship of her stats going up slightly.

In Girls Frontline 2, it's ten years later. During these ten years, Type95 betrayed the sacred promise of spending real money to raise her stats by making friends with a man.

So the players are incredibly furious, obviously, and are review bombing anything the company that made Girls Frontline 2 even looked at.

(The company tried to pave this over by replacing the male friend the sexy gun made with a female friend. But players data mined out the original voice lines about her friend, which means she still thinks about him aaaaaa. Total madness.)

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Rift Wizard 1 was gruesomely hard. 2 appears to be a huge overhaul: the shrines that modify spells to change synergies in the original were hard to build around because they were random, so they all sucked. They've been replaced with gear that does something generically useful. You can't upgrade a spell multiple times, but the upgrades are all spell changing, instead of just +damage or +charges. You get fewer skill points, to go with spending less time upgrading spells.

Monsters in the original game were pretty distinct, but Rift Wizard 2 leans into templating to make more monsters--the original array of foes was distinct enough that having them randomly be undead, or immune to fire, or shielded, doesn't feel as generic as it would in most roguelikes. The new bigger monsters make AOE spells better, so you have more options for end game super foes.

Remember how you could get items that summoned monster spawners, but they took a turn so it was hard to find a window to use them, and then they'd get used up so you'd want to save them until later maps, but then the enemies would be so thick and powerful that summoning four troll kings probably wasn't a good use of a turn? Now you get items that passively summon a monster spawner once a map, for the rest of the game. Rad.

And best of all, your spells recharge every level now! You can cast your fun spells more often without building some nonsense recharge build based off of seventeen skill points dropped into a level 1 spell you hate.

Also, new spells and new skills, that you can't afford because you have fewer skill points. Maybe more drop later on, I'm not far in yet.

I haven't played much, yet, but these are all exciting changes that make me want to play more.

edit: Just found out you get treasure chests with random spells in them so your build changes up this rules.

edit 2: Full heal, and the equipable items change future spells so you can start building up to new synergies later on? This game is crazy better than the previous version.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 29, 2024