Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

deep dish peat moss posted:

Griftlands came out on Steam recently, it's really good so far-

It's a deckbuilding roguelite but beyond that it's an actual RPG - you play as a grifter traveling around a sci-fi world, having conversations and doing quests. What makes it special is the way the deckbuilding gameplay comes in; you have two decks - a battle deck and a negotiation deck. You often have to make choices about improving one over the other and each one allows you to solve quests differently. Some quests may not have a negotiation option and force battles or vice versa. There are also opposing factions and you manage reputation between both. Maybe the battle-focused faction needs a negotiator to take care of something, so you do a little grifting work for them and they reward you with upgrades to your battle deck.

It has everything you'd expect from the genre like relics, upgrading cards (which happens in this game from cards gaining experience as you use them) but it comes with a procedurally generated story, much more dynamic characters, NPCs that have their own agendas and are persistent throughout the run, etc.

It's still in EA I think? But it's by Klei who has a track record of actually finishing their games (Don't Starve, Oxygen not Included, etc)

There's a lot of interaction between different events. I ran into a guard for the Admiralty who was trying to arrest a civilian laborer and asked me to do it for him, I told him to gently caress off and ended up fighting the guard and winning. The civilian laborer remembered that and a few days later when I was trying to negotiate my way out of getting jumped by some people who hated me in a bar, that same civilian laborer happened to be in the same bar and joined the argument on my side, where he tore into the opponent's side-arguments (basically Creatures) and let me focus on their core argument (Life). Some people surrender when you're about to beat them in a fight and you can execute them or let them go and they come back in big ways later on. It's all just so intertwined and fun to explore :shrug:

I really enjoyed the run with the first character and will probably check out the brawl mode.

I'm not sure I'm feeling the second character's gameplay but I want to because the story seems cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

We couldve had Ultra Mario Bros....

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ooblets...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ooblets...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just wanted to post an ooblet...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

mary had a little clam posted:

I'm really enjoying Ooblets so far. It's definitely all-in on that kind of :3: cutecore :3: aesthetic, but I'm not tired of that yet. YMMV. The gameplay will for sure invite comparisons to Animal Crossing, although I think what makes it different is that you're an outsider coming into a prebuilt community with ongoing stories as opposed to building the entire community from scratch. The music is good and the Ooblet dance battles are light enough to be a fun diversion whenever you feel like it.

I think if you like games like A Short Hike or Harvest Moon, you'll enjoy the chill vibes in Ooblets. It's Early Access, so it has a couple performance hiccups every now and again, but nothing gamebreaking for me so far. It seems REALLY fleshed out for Early Access too, so I'm excited to see how it develops.

The thing I'm worried about with it being EA is the risk of resetting progress on the farm/your ooblets when they update at some later point?

I feel more comfortable with EA on shorter/run-based games.

Otherwise so far it feels pretty full-fledged a release except for some missing item descriptions, at least a few hours in

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Feelin' a bit gated in Ooblets, all the projects require a bunch of Clothlets and afaik the only way to get it is randomly foraging?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

mary had a little clam posted:

You can get Clothlets for 10 Wishes from the fountain. I ended up with a bunch of wishes randomly for completing little quests so it worked out.

Thanks, this helped a lot, I had quite a stockpile!

I just built a house for my ooblets

Edit:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 19, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Too much Greg Miller imo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am digging Unbeatable [white label] so much. Free on steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1290490/UNBEATABLE_white_label/

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I had been following this game for a while but h/t to Stux for pointing out that Unbeatable [white label] actually came out today and they finished their Kickstarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxjBkJLVNk4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaqDu16Rfe4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgw19P-7C5s&t=579s

I love everything about this game's visual and musical style. I thought that the demo thing they were releasing in conjunction with their kickstarter was just going to be like one track but it's surprisingly robust, with a dozen tracks with all difficulty options... I guess because the project is going to end up much bigger? I'm worried about Kickstarter scope creep loving things up (especially with that online multiplayer stretch goal) but what's here is already a lot of fun

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ritual of the Moon was cool, I downloaded this last night so I'm a day ahead :cool:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Daedalus1134 posted:

Since Slipways has been kind of divisive, I'd like to throw my hat in the "it's good" ring.

It is very much a puzzle game, and right now there seem to be factions that are definitely better than others, at least with how I play it. Keeping happiness up with properly fed systems is much more important than anything else, and getting science coming in early is super helpful for late run skills. You can hold alt on a planet to see all the potential trade options, and you can right click a trade choice to temporarily lock it in while investigating what routes you want to build out, and how they'll interact.

It's pretty rare you get an immediate bidirectional trade, you are usually bouncing at least 3 planets around to loop something properly (People -> Ore -> Robots -> Wheat -> People) ect. As planets level up, the number of outputs or inputs increases, which lets you take your loop and weave it into other routes you've made.

I think the thing that really dampens my enthusiasm about this game is that it feels like there's not just one layer of RNG that can screw you (that would probably be manageable) but I keep running into situations where even if the right planets are in the vicinity of each other, whoops you can't make a connection because they're one centimeter too far apart, or even worse there's a planet in the way that if it were 3 degrees to the right everything would be fine. Feels really bad

Updog Scully posted:

The theming is kind of awkward though, it feels more like an OpenTTD style game than a 4X game. It would work better if the planets were cities or industrial plants, and the slipways were train lines or something. Though that might be because I played a lot of OpenTTD recently.

I think the biggest theme break is that for being based on trade, the fact that resources can't continue on a slipway chain and thus make planets feel more often like roadblocks rather than nodes, is completely off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

There's apparently a game called This Land is My Land where you play as a Native leader resisting the expansion of European settlers.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1069640/This_Land_Is_My_Land/

FWIW this is the game where Native players tried to contact the devs because the story seemed to be very stereotypical (and the discord was awarding people roles of "chief" of the "tribe") and they got completely rebuffed

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7eq5y/this-land-is-my-land-wants-to-sell-an-indigenous-revenge-fantasy-but-without-any-indigenous-input