Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.random
May 7, 2007

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Wildermyth is out in full release and on sale and is genuinely one of the most goddamn charming games Iíve ever seen. Itís a sort of light SRPG but the real joy is in the story vignettes that deepen character relationships. I have no idea how many trie data structures their dialog set is made up of but itís incredible.

Im one who thinks video game ďwritingĒ is in a lightless crater below airport novel at best, and this game is proving me wrong. I just had a combat where one of my characters got caught out by a huge tentacled boss and he was about to die to acid. The game let me choose to have the guy next to him - his father, who was literally in his last battle before retirement - jump in front and take the death blow. The game makes the story part of the gameplay in a way Iíve seen only Banner Saga attempt.

Iíd write more but Iím going to start a new journey.

I just picked it up the other day myself. It is.. hmm. Cute? I think thatís the word Iíd use. Itís a cute experience.

The gameplay itself is fine - but with three classes and a choice of 1/3 of a fairly decent pool of skills per level, and a not especially compelling equipment system, youíre not playing the game for the combat character customization. Itís the idea that is really nifty. There are 4 or 5 prewritten campaigns with overarching stories but randomly generated details (including your characters and their personalities) along the way, and then infinite fully random ones without the overarching story. The art style is really great. The number of random weird events is good. The UI isnít amazing but once I stopped trying to use a game pad it was much easier. You can definitely feel like you grow to know some randomly generated characters for a little bit.

Overall I think I like it? I donít know who Iíd even recommend it to, but if you want a cute little experience where you might be able to fight a battle against the gorgon hordes with your warrior and rogue lesbian parents and their warrior son who now has the spirit of the storm inside him joining their long time companion - a mystic who has slowly transformed into a crystal creature - and her quiet husband warrior who kind of loves her but kind of just does his own thing eh whateverÖ. Then this game might be for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.random
May 7, 2007

Finally got around to playing the demo of Greak and I am sad. It looked exactly like my jam. Iím glad they made a demo for it at least.

.random
May 7, 2007

Play posted:

What did you not like about it? I played it a bit and mostly liked it. But when it came time to search some huge level for a new exit that I didn't see on my first trip through that huge level I put it down and was kinda like nah. Didn't like the choppy animation or the general feel of the combat either.

The feel of combat was OKAY but not great. I get the idea of having frames after attacks where youíre vulnerable/canít act, but something felt not that good about the way it was done?

Having to drag your companion everywhere was annoying - much of the time it was move one character. Then move the other... if you move them both, one grabs a ledge and then doesnít make it up, and you have to move them separately anyway, probably more painfully than if you would have just moved them one by one. Them poorly fighting on their own as enemies respawn was annoying. And the multi-character inventory management seemed like it was going to only get more annoying over time. As silly as it sounds, when I had to drop arrows one by one for the sword guy to pick up to free up one of the three slots in my spell girlís inventory, I kind of decided it was not a game for me.

I liked the looks and the animation was fine for me, though :shobon:

.random
May 7, 2007

Buyer beware, per one reviewer:

quote:

far less anime boobies than muv luv.

Youíve been warned.

.random
May 7, 2007

When I heard it described as ďjanky controls butÖ maybe thatís intentional because youíre a bird on a skateboard?Ē I knew it wouldnít be for me :sigh: