Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Palpek posted:

Indivisible - a hand drawn action RPG from the creators of Skullgirls

I've powered through most of this in the past few days since I've been down with the plague this week, and it's a pretty strong recommend. Good enough story, and it looks incredible (assuming you're onboard with the art style).

I have two main gripes. The overworld design is your basic simple 2D metroidvania/Celeste/etc design that opens up as you get movement powers. This gets frustrating at times because the platforming isn't quite as tight as it would be if that were the sole focus, so some sections are aggravatingly tougher than they should be. The quest order is also loose enough that you sometimes don't know where to go, and it's unclear if you're supposed to be locked out of an area or if you're not getting the challenge quite right because the controls are a bit imprecise (like doing the same jump a dozen times before it somehow just works). There's also the usual RPG issue where some areas of random mooks are just inexplicably damage sponges, but you can pretty often avoid combat if needed.

Those issues are outweighed by the main game, it's an active combat style that I haven't seen before, and it's really fun once you get the hang of it. After some trouble early on, I've been able to power through pretty consistently, and the fighting (even the bosses) largely hit a good balance of challenging but doable. Definitely worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Palpek posted:

Olimdal - a puzzle game where you're playing as a tiny wizard

Oh that looks awesome, I've always had a thing for tiny isometric puzzly games. Only one review but for :sixbux: it seems like a reasonable risk.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Palpek posted:

Drop by with some impressions if you end up buying it.

I've played about 10 levels and give it a moderate recommend. The gameplay isn't quite what I'd guessed from my quick look: you do maneuver your little wizard around each level to get to the portal, but the catch is that you're always moving various other blocks/furniture with you while you move. Some duplicate your movement, some only move certain directions, some move oppositely to you, etc, with the goal being to shift them around to let you get where you need to go.
For what it is, it's extremely pleasant - looks and sounds nice, and it's pretty relaxing. The big drawback is that it looks to be a lot shorter than I'd guessed, ~30 levels if I'm not mistaken. For a PC game I was guessing it'd be a lot longer, but sure enough it's originally an iphone game you can buy for $3. So I like it and recommend taking a look, but probably wouldn't buy until it hits at least that price point.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

OKAY FINE, WE'LL TRY THEM, GEEZ!

No Longer Home looks interesting, I'll look at it some more and maybe give it a shot

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Roth posted:

drat Death Stranding got upstaged

This but unironically

Sadly though after checking it out, it's cute but pretty limited in scope and frustratingly opaque in what you can do. No menu or interface as far as I can tell, and you have to scroll through the standard Unity startup window to even see what commands you have (e.g. bark0, bark1 ). Still, it's cute enough to run around as a stretchy blobdog barking your head off and jumping into things.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Oh man, I really don't need more games to play right now but that looks awesome, I'll be curious to find out more. At least I can hold off for another day or so since it doesn't have a price yet

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Palpek posted:

Dandy Dungeon - Legend of Brave Yamada - a huge mobile RPG hit released on Steam today, I remember this game being addictive and actually funny

Wow...I'd forgotten about that, but it was pretty fun and funny. But man, almost ? I dunno what all they updated at that price, it was free IIRC (they apparently killed the app version around a year ago).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

This isn't *quite* new, but The Touryst seems like it came out of nowhere with a pretty stealthy Switch release a couple weeks back. I never heard of it til yesterday but it's been getting a lot of good reviews. It's apparently a pretty chill, light quest/exploration game with puzzles and challenges to find and solve. Also the art design is really good, sort of a voxelly Link's Awakening remake, very well done if you dig that style, and it sounds like it's a small enough package that it runs like silk even on the Switch.

I'm really liking what I've seen, but the alleged ~10 hours playtime and price point are at the high end of me just jumping in to try it. Anybody else see this/play it?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

I realized I had some eshopbux sitting around to bring the price down a bit and picked it up. Aside from a few annoyances in puzzle and boss fight design, it's pretty much as charming and fun as I hoped. Short and light enough that it's not an immediate go-out-and-buy-it but it'd be very worth it on sale for or so.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

That looks pretty nice, curious to hear how it plays.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Barudak posted:

Folks, if you want a simple adventure/puzzle game with a unique gimmick then look no further than Carto. Im digging it even if, fundamentally, its not super complex. Available on Game Pass

I just came checking to see if this was mentioned since I saw it pop up on steam. Any idea how long it is? It's charming and I liked the demo a lot (took 10 or 15 minutes), but seems steep for what feels like it'd probably be a short-ish game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Cardiovorax posted:

Howlongtobeat says it's about six hours on average, seven if you're being completionist about it.

I always forget there are sites to track that. I'll put it on the wishlist for a sale at that length.