Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
I played Loop Hero back when it was a game jam prototype on Itch and fell in love with it. Full release is out today on Steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1282730/Loop_Hero/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P58L0AVIEM

I'm a big fan of the art and sound, but the gameplay is so fresh. It's roguelite where you get some randomness and each restart is a bit like a blank slate, but your previous run will help you on the next so there's always progression. The game operates in several layers; the largest being a strategic management map where you rebuild a village and engage in some scripted dialog with NPC's, and then an adventure map which is randomly generated each run and where all combat takes place. The adventure maps are made up of all kinds of gameplay mechanics like tile placement, inventory management, skill unlocks via leveling and automated combat.

I think part of the magic of the game is that at first you feel as though you have little agency, like a clicker game, but as you start placing and shuffling the game pieces that you control you realize that you have a great deal to do with how an adventure is likely to play out. This is magnified by many small discoveries and accidents that get you understanding the relationships between all the game's elements.

There's also a demo available on the steam store page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Philthy posted:

That Loop Hero game mentioned a few pages back is amazing. The mechanics are fantastic and doesn't stomp on your balls, but it can if you want it to. It's pretty cool how they let you ramp up the difficulty to gain way more resources, or keep it steady if you want to chill. Love it. I like games that lets you have a little control on the difficulty but still make progress. Neat.

Tell your friends. I'm a total cheerleader for the game. The pixel art alone would have tempted me to buy it but the mechanics really do stand up. I also like how they give different font options right on the opening screen.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

I loved the Close Combat series, especially Russian Front. The screenshots don't do the game justice.
I really wish the spirit of the game could be applied to something other than WW2 / contemporary warfare. 40k would be fun but really just an original setting with lots of theme and personalities to mix in.
... might have to see if I can get my old copy of A Bridge Too Far running again...

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Metavaxx is a sharp shooter that balances mild strategy with good action controls. I'm not big on bullet hell shooters nor puzzle games, this one is my goldilocks compromise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI0FNuNwNak

As I played it I kept thinking that if Cryptark had a way to disable the mission timer I would have enjoyed it as much as I liked Metavaxx.

https://punkcake.itch.io/metavaxx

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Play posted:

This looks cool but I have something to admit: I never figured out as a kid how minesweeper worked and I've always been too scared to play it since then

In Metavaxx, the number on a cell tells you how many infected cells that particular one is touching. You want to avoid shooting uninfected cells but sometimes have no choice because you need to get deeper to the ones you suspect or want to shape the playing field in a way that helps you maneuver.

What I like about the game is that you can absolutely play in a sloppy fashion but your final score won't be the highest. As you get comfortable with the game you understand the nuances and can achieve better final results.

Scut fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 31, 2022

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mozi posted:

For anyone else who played this for zillions of hours as a kid...

ReVolt has been ReReleased on Steam!

4k, 120fps. Everything else just how I remember it.

ReVolt is excellent. The RC cars are not a gimmick, the cars in the game really do drive and behave in that lightweight way you would expect from RC.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

I still own my copy. Does the remake still have the track designer?

I still play a classic copy as well. Couldn't find details about the track editor through steam but I did find this free community release of the game that apparently is kosher seeing as Acclaim is no longer around?
https://re-volt.io/downloads/game

Also apparently the steam release by WeGo might just be a repackaged version of the community release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

This is giving me Painkiller vibes in all good ways. Also the soundtrack is by someone I've talked to online by the handle Spellbang and they are cool.