Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah, for those who don't remember: the ghosts and goblins series has always been punishingly difficult and spiteful towards the player

OMG, "punishingly difficult" doesn't even cover it.

The game starts out with the player in a graveyard, getting ready to boink your girlfriend. Seriously, you're in your underwear. Then, Satan appears and steals away your girl. Really. So you put on your armor and start slogging through the graveyard to rescue her. There's zombies and birds and evil plants, and if you shoot a tombstone too long a magician turns you into a toad. After a bit, you run into the boss, a red winged devil who flies super fast and can take like half a dozen hits. You die, and die, and die. Finally after a dozen tries you beat the devil, and.. he's just a mid-stage boss?? Fuuuuuck!

After that stage is ice caverns, then a ladder maze filled with ogres who can take a bajillion hits each. Then caves filled with nasties, including THREE of those fast devils, one after another. Don't bother trying to run past them, they will pursue you endlessly. The game is a bit merciful in that the first hit you take merely makes your armor fall off (leaving you in your underwear again), and there are half a dozen weapons to replace the lance you start out with, but most are doodoo.

Levels five and six are Satan's palace, and here the difficulty shoots into the loving stratosphere. Swarms and swarms of enemies requiring pixel-perfect timing, with a punishing time limit on top of that. The bosses are first one, then two mini-satans, who are like the red devil but can take a million hits. Seriously, if Jesus Christ had chosen to incarnate in an 80's arcade, even he couldn't have beaten the sixth stage. But, let's say that you pulled your Bar Mitsvah money out of the bank and converted it into quarters, and after dozens and dozens of hours of grueling runs, you beat the sixth level, and are face to face with our lord and saviour Satan himself. You grit your teeth and charge into battle to save your girl...

YOUR WEAPON HAS NO EFFECT!

Fuuuuck! The only weapon that can hurt Satan is the shield, which you didn't take because it sucks rear end.You're teleported back to level 4, and slog your way back here. You find a shield, then for the rest of the trip you have to avoid other weapon drops in addition to the baddies. After begging Mommy for your Christmas, Easter and birthday gifts in advance and pawning them for quarters, you finally, finally make it back to Satan, whack him with the shield, then...

THIS ROOM IS AN ILLUSION AND A TRAP DEVISED BY SATAN!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! You are sent back to the first level and have to make it all the way back, avoiding weapon drops, and there are more critters and they move faster. Mommy won't let you liquidate your college fund, so you sigh and admit defeat.

Ghosts 'n' Goblins was a great game overall, with innovative level design, crisp movement, good sound and graphics, and incredibly good music. But holy fuckballs was it hard.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Play posted:

Apparently created by a father-son team, Vulgord's Tower is a multiplayer board-game style thing. Not sure if it has AI to play against or not.

Sounds like a blatant knockoff of Dark Tower.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

This is by Illwinter, the same dudes who made the Dominions series. I'm anticipating a very deep game with a near-vertical learning curve.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

ulmont posted:

You were so close but then you wrote "3" where you should have written "2".

Not sure how to parse this... I played both 2 and 3, and although 2 was a good game, 3 was better in just about every aspect.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Anyone else reminded of this?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Palpek posted:

Ziggurat 2 fully released. Apparently it's a pretty good roguelite FPS. I only played the first one but it was very solid.

I played the first and got bored after an hour. Just imagine Immortal Redneck with worse graphics, boring weapons and the humor removed.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Sooooooo... uh... Dwarf Fortress with basic graphics? And they didn't even bother to use a different race?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Awesome concept but dear god what awful graphics.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Play posted:

Yeah Garlic is my jam it's just way too satisfying running straight through the weaker enemies and destroying them all. It's also fantastic for harvesting XP if you get it early.

Generally I'm going for some combination of garlic, bible, whip, fire/normal wand, and cross.

Got the evolved fire wand last night and it was crazy awesome, just cutting enormous swathes through the horde which I could then follow through.

Also Inlaid Library is a way easier level to 'win' and also to harvest coins just because you can level up so much faster due to the density of enemies.

I picked it up a few days ago, best 3$ I've spent short of Binding of Isaac.

But yeah, it is a bit unbalanced. The weapons fall into two categories: garlic and everything else.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Palpek posted:

PlatinumGames' new game released: Babylon's Fall

A $60 game with microtransactions? Uhhhhh no.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

So... someone used a voxel engine to build the most generic JRPG clone ever?

EDIT: We need the equivalent of /timg for embedded videos so I can quote without taking up half the screen.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tried the demo. It's a fun concept but the UI is pure assgravy.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bremen posted:

If someone in this thread has somehow avoided Vampire Survivors until now you should probably get it. Also, I mean, it's $4. What else are you going to spend it on, half a burger?

Thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991144

Seriously it's the best $4 you'll spend on any game that isn't Binding of Isaac.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Play posted:

A story about a dying chat server. Moderators are abusing their power, the owner has neglected the server, and the lives of members are miserable. And you, as a newcomer, will pick up your keyboard, and overthrow the owner and moderators' tyranny!

OMG this is literally The Nameless Mod for Deus Ex.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

In other news, PC Gamer still exists.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

This looks amazing, but I strongly doubt it will ever see a bug-free release, especially since the developer has no track record.

But then, Kenshi was written by one dude, so who knows.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

A modernized Dungeon Keeper? I'd play that.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Jossar posted:

Modern remake of the 2009 game, done with the blessing (or should that be curse?) of the original developer. Appears to have more depth and be slightly less complicated than said original. Emphasis on "slightly."

I played the 2009 version, it was an amazing game hampered by nonexistent graphics (they used Flash as their game engine, no poo poo). The only caveat is that the AI opponents are completely passive, so don't get this unless you are planning to play with Actual People. Or maybe they juiced up the AI this time, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Rusty posted:

Outpost: Infinity Siege

This is some sort of mash up of FPS, tower defense, base building, and extraction shooter. It has mostly negative reviews mainly it seems due to performance, but it also has 10k playing right now.

Not optimistic since reviews tend to start positive and go down over time.