Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I'm really enjoying Cyber Shadow. It comes across to me like a game that might exist in an alternate universe where 1990s game hardware went down the path of extending and enhancing upon the aesthetic abilities of the NES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I won't deny that the narrative and character/enemy designs are often very generic. It's frustrating when a game clearly has a lot going for it, but then a few aspects of it obviously needed a bit more time in the oven.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

Before We Leave

And then on top of it, there's just an overall theme of despair: the more you build, the unhappier your people get, and the more industries you'll have to put down to provide the goods that make people happy but those industries pollute and add literal gloom to the spaces around them, so you'll need more industries and make more gloom and just in general by the third island I was unsure of why I was making any technological progress when all it did was make everyone unhappy.

Isn't the goal of this game to develop a society that doesn't pollute? Your description sounds completely the opposite of how the game bills itself.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Palpek posted:

It's a pretty cool take on the widely defined "combat match-3" genre so if you enjoyed games like You Must Build a Boat, Puzzle Quest or Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes then it might be right up your alley.

Grindstone is specifically a game in the puzzle sub-genre of "games like Dungeon Raid", the classic phone game from like a decade ago that has been made incompatible due to newer versions of iOS and Android. If you liked Dungeon Raid, oh boy, get ready to have a blast.

I suppose I should say it isn't 100% a Dungeon Raid clone. Instead of being able to start your turn on any tile, you control a little guy and you have to start the turn where he stands and move him around the board. I thought it was a neat twist though, and the game is big with lots of stuff to do.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yeah, for those who don't remember: the ghosts and goblins series has always been punishingly difficult and spiteful towards the player

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Twenty minute trip report: the Legos game has a chill vibe, cute storytelling of a parent and kid going camping, and nice graphics. The gameplay of moving around, and building with, the bricks is neat; it is intuitive and even just a few minutes in they've done some neat things mechanically to build up from "remember when you played with blocks as a kid?" into more videogame-y stuff.

The graphics do seem to chug a bit if I crank the settings up too high, even though my computer hits the "recommended" specs. You will want to crank the settings as high as is tolerable though, because the game is extremely pretty.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

You're thinking of Roguelites

heck yeah the roguelike purity debate

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 17, 2021

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

haldolium posted:

As I'll forget by then just a heads up that Mini Motorways will come out on Tuesday, 20th. It's from the makers of Mini Metro, so hopefully very good in a chill way.

I played it on Apple Arcade. It's a neat twist on Mini Metro.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

a steam reviewer says you can complete the game without turning a child into a bomb or however the game characterizes it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

thecluckmeme posted:

I have this exact problem with the new remaster of that ace attorney game. I'm on case 4 and so far it's just been an hour of dialogue

yeah, ace attorney is a visual novel. it's mostly just a story, with some adventure-game gameplay mixed in to enhance how the story is told

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

Reported it as defamatory against the victims of 9-11, JFC what valve allows on the platform now.

wow, i didn't notice the first time i clicked through to that game's steam page that the logo literally has a "sun cross" in it. it is a very old symbol which is not always racist, but in recent years it has come to be heavily associated with white supremacists...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_cross

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 14, 2021

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yeah, i don't think this is being done intentionally, but there have been a number of posts in this thread over the past few weeks where i genuinely can't tell if the poster is trying to gatekeep the definition of "roguelike" or not. and some of these posts have looked to me like they go very far beyond even the Berlin Interpretation in terms of narrowness and strictness, which is itself pretty far into being a grognardy narrow definition of the genre.

i always thought the terms "roguelike" and "roguelite" were pretty fluid and that nobody truly agreed on how to nail down either one of them, let alone both :v:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 15, 2021

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

according to a steam review, this game is not a wannabe hollow knight or ori clone, which to me is refreshing to hear

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The critic reviews on Metacritic also looked to be pretty mixed on King's Bounty 2. I haven't played any games in the series, I just noticed the reviews when I was browsing that site the other day.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Somfin posted:

I'm very interested but also mildly burnt out by deckbuilders- has anyone tried this?

i believe it is more action-adventure than deckbuilder

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

A zach-like The Signal State just released. It has similar vibes to SHENZEN I/O, you're patching modular synths to match the desired output signal.

surprised they didn't name it "goondad retirement simulator"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Thoom posted:

I'm getting CrossCode vibes from this, any truth to that?

yeah, it looked a bit like crosscode and hyper light drifter to me

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the spooky train game apparently commits the grave transgression of Train Inaccuracy

https://twitter.com/ghostlyvee3/status/1444267043394621442

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

There's apparently a game called This Land is My Land where you play as a Native leader resisting the expansion of European settlers.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1069640/This_Land_Is_My_Land/

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

thanks for the link. i was wondering if it was bad and it sounds like it is very bad

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

gross

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

They also have a website where you can download the game (and source code) for free, and donate via Patreon. The website says they also sometimes accept direct one-time donations, but because the organization is based in Finland, there is some law about how you are allowed to accept donations and they currently are not running that kind of donation campaign.

https://revolutionarygamesstudio.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i think it's ridiculous that game companies expect everyone to rush out and upgrade to a 200+ mhz pentium just so we can play their game