Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
oh poo poo, Virgo Versus the Zodiac is a really interesting game and it had great animations, so im gonna pick that up for sure. thanks for pointing it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
ooh, I've been looking forward to everhood for a while. thanks for reminding me it's launched!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

now that i've played some i can confirm that this is an insanely brutally good game

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

Princess Castle Quest: A pretty competent game in the vein of Chip's Challenge, it's not in 'Early Access' but it's not fully complete either, with new levels getting added every day. 10$ seems a little pricey, but if sokoban is your thing (It is mine!) it's probably worth being in your collection
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1103550/Princess_Castle_Quest/

this looks like DROD. instant buy

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
looks like rocket slime

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
if Daniel Mullin approached this anything like his previous game, The Hex, there's going to be layers and layers to uncover before you actually reach the denouement

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1296360/Archvale/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256861740/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1638464699

Archvale looks like a cool pixel bullet hell action game in a similar vein as enter the gungeon or nuclear throne although not a roguelike but an RPG from what I understand.

This one's keeping my attention a lot better than I expected it to. It reminds me more of Terraria than gungeon or nuclear throne, with how weapon upgrades tend to have drastically different play styles that force you to move and attack differently. the bosses are well designed too, although i've reached a point where all the ones available to me now on hard mode are kicking my rear end effortlessly. I recommend it!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
vampire survivors reminds me of the piles of endless arena survival games that used to be on the Xbox Live Indie Games platform. in a good way

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Hey, quick question for the regulars of this thread since I dont follow game news much, have there been any other recent games that are in a similar vein as La Mulana? And yes Im already sold on the Supraland sequel

the Tower of Oannes dlc for la mulana 2 is coming out Soon™. i dunno if anybody else is doing anything remotely similar to la mulana though, it's almost totally unique in its style and ambition

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Yeah thats my fear. There are games like Supraland or Toki Tori 2 that take a more physical approach to its exploration and puzzle solving but even those are rare, and I cant think of any other modern games that integrate their fictional history with puzzle design. :sweatdrop:

Oh well, puzzle games will have another day in the sun eventually

Actually, there is one game I can recommend. It's not an exact fit, but Full Bore is a sokobon puzzle game with an emphasis on open world exploration and digging for secrets that I very much enjoyed. It doesn't have any of the note taking of La Mulana, but the joy of wandering around and finding new things to do is a very close match.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
grapple dog and webbed are part of a new trend of developers correctly recognizing that the grappling hook overshadows every other movement technique available in any metroidvania game. might as well make it available from the start and build the entire game around it

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

the exploration looks a lot like CrossCode's, except even more vertical. very tempting

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Recursive Ruin

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256887018/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1652878958

Released today. I learned about it a few days ago and was instantly interested, it looks like it might scratch the same itch Talos Principle did

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Undisputed champion of missing the source material's point

lol hold up im an idiot i forgot heinlein wrote the original and it was not a joke at the time

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 16, 2022

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Rex Rocket was a mostly forgettable metroidvania, but i guess it's to the developer's credit that i was instantly able to recognize their art style

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

This one's fun, but evil. I definitely recommend it if you like tower defense games.

You get one card per wave which contains a single or double tile structure to place on the map. These tiles include towers, path pieces which allow you to extend the field of play, and flags which expand the island you're limited to. gold earned with each wave of defense can be spent to draw extra cards in a single turn, or buy specific tiles at periodic shop events.

Limited resources allow building outside the bounds of the isle or overlapping with other tiles, but they're rare and expensive, so the placement of the path and towers needs to be meticulously planned out while also leaving room for the likely possibility that you don't draw a path joint you need for an extended period of time. This is complicated by most useful tiles coming with adjoining useless water tiles that gum up your design.

It's extremely difficult, which is what most of the negative reviews complain about. I would describe it a bit like jumping into your first ever Slay the Spire match at ascension 15. Wave composition is highly varied and very likely to sporadically break through defenses that aren't very tightly planned, and on the only campaign mode available on a fresh save file, two brand new paths spawn in at specific waves to further complicate building. While it's definitely limiting to have your first six hours be spent with all the interesting main menu options locked while learning the very first game mode, I still find it fun, and I've found the complaints about RNG to be overblown. There's a significant amount of variance in layout and available towers in each run, but there's always been enough tools provided that I feel I would be able to win if I paid attention and put everything in the right place (so far, I have not)

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

please! no more borderless stick figure pixel art soulslikes! i beg you!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1829450/Dr_Kobushis_Labyrinthine_Laboratory/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256902755/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1663409353

100% positive out of 19. I played this, it's a legit good puzzle game. And not easy by any measure, which makes things tough for a moron like me.

this looks sick, instant buy for me

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

BETON BRUTAL ($6.99, currently discounted to $5.59) is a newly released game focused entirely on first person platforming up the interior of a massive, hand-designed, overgrown vertical shaft constructed from brutalist architecture. There's no deathtraps, no damage, and also no checkpoints; a fall to the bottom is functionally a full restart, and to get some sense of scale, there's speedrun achievements for clearing the game in 15, 30, 45 and 60 minutes- and I find the prospect of clearing it in an hour impossibly daunting, though it starts quite easy and the controls are responsive and fluid.

The game is beautiful and has very nice ambient music and effects, perfect for some zoning out and jumping (though I advise disabling some of the dynamic FoV options). It's also relentlessly, perfectly fair: there are warning signs at tricky points, you can pause your run to enter a "practice mode" that lets you fly around and try out jumps up to a height just above your current best progress, and you can also enter a "scouting" mode at any time to fly around your current position and identify the path forward. There are also definitely shortcuts available; I've found a couple that give me a sense of how a 15 minute speedrun of this gargantuan game might be possible.

I'm a seasoned trickjumper and I've made it to 260 meters of height (with no end in sight) in about an hour. I'm curious how other goons would do.

18 reviews, 100% positive.

This is great. I love the vertigo meter, which is unlikely to ever fill all the way on purpose but it adds a little extra tension to everything. I've reached the first jump pad section so far, which is a massive difficulty spike but thankfully has a floor that gives you room to practice.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

RC Cola posted:

How is it with a controller?

No controller support. Which may seem harsh, but it makes sense in light of some of the jumps you have to make at 300 meters and up

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Dungeon Drafters released today, and I've had my eyes on it ever since I saw a trailer

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256943472/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1682606476

this game bucks the card battler trend by being focused on persistent deck design rather than building up from nothing each run, closer to the design of CCGs like yugioh or magic: the gathering. I also like the look of the grid based combat, it looks very Tangledeep despite being in a totally different genre

two reviews so far, both positive.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
oh god drat it, you just had to bring up the one point of reference that would get me to actually play cassette beasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Deakul posted:

What if that part of the game still gets you like 100 hours of gameplay

ah, tactical nexus