Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

There was a similar game released just recently, but held more in the 2D sprite style of classic Fallout games. It had something to do with big meat monsters that want to be more human, or something of that nature. Does anyone remember what it was called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

No, I'm afraid that's not the one. It was really very reminiscent of the early Fallout titles, it even had that dialogue window. I remember a screenshot involving a big blobby Cthulhu thing poking out of what looked like a bunker entrance or a mine and a female PC talking to it. Sorry I can't really give any more detail than that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Twilkitri posted:

There's a few screenshots on Death Trash that seem to match what you're describing here, but I don't know about it having the Fallout dialogue window. It's also not out yet.
Yes, that's the one! Apparently I was mixing things up in my memory, because one of those screenshots is exactly what I was thinking of. Thank you very much.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It does. I've already run into two of them. I think I am 20-30 percent into the game. I have not asked Creepy Stalker Guy yet.

They are easy, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nioh 1 increased your medicine capacity in a given region based on how many of those little green hat guys you managed to find in its mission areas, so if you spent a lot of time searching for them, seeing a sharp drop in your available elixirs after going to a new region would be normal. That shouldn't ever drop you below 3, though. However, you can also just straight-up run out of elixirs, Bloodborne style, because they're an actual item that is kept in your storage and restocked from there when you go to a shrine. You do not get them for free like Estus. Might be that's what happened here.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the demo. I'm a huge fan of The Curious Expedition, I've poured several dozen hours into it.
Can you explain to me what I'm missing? I own the game and I've played it a few times, but it never seemed to me like it has all that much substance to it. It seems very charming, so I would really like to enjoy it more than I do.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Womyn Capote posted:

Even at 15 bux I can really recommend Intergalactic Fishing on Steam. A lot of it might be nostalgia for the old ANSI fishing games of the early 90s.
I am kind of interested, but I have never played a fishing game before and I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Can someone give me a short breakdown of what the gameplay is like?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Thanks. Sounds relaxing, I think I'll give it a shot.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Too scared of ghosts to remember the camera element of those games

also drat I wish they'd be brought to PC
You can emulate Crimson Butterfly fairly well, which is incidentally also the best game in the series.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do you have any ETA on the english translation? Closed beta, is that weeks, months, years...?
It was originally stated to come with the 1.0 release, so about August-ish.

Amazing Cultivation Sim is hilarious. Imagine Rimworld by way of Bridge of Birds by way of Dragonball Z. It's utterly insane and Nyaa's LP is a blast to read.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Wuxiaworld has a bunch of translated xianxia novels for free, just check out a few and see if you like them. Fair warning, though: a lot of them are incredibly bad. Xianxia is kinda like urban fantasy romance novels in that 99% of it is bargain bin genre writing for people who are super into it and don't read anything else.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Plus the awkwardness of translations making thing read weird to boot!

Ah well, they're super fun popcorn reading.
Sums it up, really. I'm currently reading I Shall Seal The Heavens and it's apparently considered one of the better ones. I would compare it to Piers Anthony novels in that it's honestly not good, but kind of funny at times and a decent enough time-waster.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

that is the worst possible comparison you could make because piers anthony likes to put pedophilia in his books as a good thing, and as far as I know none of the xianxia books are that kind of garbage
Yes, I know, the guy is a total creep, but Piers Anthony has written other books than just the Xanth series, you know. I'm about twenty chapters in and I'd put what I've read of it so far about on the level of his Incarnations of Immortality series, in terms of quality. This isn't really the place to discuss this, but if you want I can PM you some excerpts. It's fairly light but non-skeevy reading.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

you have missed my point by a mile, I know he's written non-xanth stuff, I'm saying that you shouldn't read him at all because he PUT PEDOPHILIA INTO HIS BOOKS AND WROTE IT AS A GOOD THING
Hey, I was like twelve and I found it in the fantasy section of my local small-town library. It's not like it's my fault that the internet didn't even exist yet, so maybe calm the gently caress down and don't shout at me like I'm endorsing him for it.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 7, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, going by the Steam screenies, it really isn't the bad kind of anime. The monster designs are neat. At fifteen euros, I'm wishlisting that for next month.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's nothing more annoying than the type of pretentious gently caress who messes something up and then has the nerve to tell people "there are children starving in Africa and you're complaining about this?"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm just kind of pissed at the way they co-opt climate change and human rights violations to defend themselves from criticism about where they published their video game, because way to be a self-important rear end about it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"How stereotypically anime are the character designs and the plot beats," I'm assuming. Personally, I think it's a lot more Tarantino than anime so far.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I kind of do, because something I dislike the most about many Souls clones is how samey all weapons often feel. Collecting cool gear is one of my favourite things about the Dark Souls games, but if there's no real difference it feels kind of pointless.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Some really heavy subjects, though. If you recently lost family members to things like Alzheimers, you might want to think twice about playing it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sounds like the kind of thing that would be amazing if it was just an alternate gameplay mode for Dwarf Fortress.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

man nurse posted:

Kind of like Danganronpa by way of Suda 51. I love how itís not hand holdy and itís up to you to discover things and connect the dots and draw conclusions.
Does it have the Suda gameplay or the Suda plot? Because depending on the answer, that could be either a very good or a very bad thing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

man nurse posted:

I think I mean more of the general style and vibe. The gameplay is mostly exploration and some visual novel fare. I havenít completed it but the plot is compelling and you can dig in as much as you want to before going to the trial and trying to put forth a conclusion. Itís very cool.
Alright, I might give it a shot, then. I kind of liked Danganronpa in concept, but the sheer aggressive stupidity of the premise and the plot just ruined any kind of enjoyment I could've gotten out of the Ace Attorney-style clue collecting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've heard of that one before, I was looking forward to it. Cloud Garden is currently four dollars, which is a really good deal for a virtual Garden In A Bottle experience. Grabbing that as soon as I post this.

[edit]: worth every cent

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 9, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That is basically what it is, except it doesn't take a decade to get something that looks good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Yeah the story of 13 Sentinels seems to be designed to be as opaque as possible. You need to jump back and forth between thirteen protagonists, some of which go by different names depending on the circumstances. There's time travel, alternate universes, and memory rewriting. The story is told out of order. At one point, there is a scene that takes place in 2024, followed by a scene " six months later..." which takes place in 1985.

I'm saying that you'll need to pay attention to piece it together... Assuming that it ever does come together. I'm several hours in, and it looks like it'll make sense eventually, but I can't say for sure.
That honestly sounds really annoying.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've been playing a bit of Star Renegades because of this thread and I have to say, it is not at all what I expected it to be. Is it weird to say that it reminds me of more than a few Flash games I've played? In a good way, that is.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think it's understandable to be annoyed by this, not everyone likes to revisit games. If you know that this is how you approach games, it seems like the most reasonable solution would be to simply only buy games at least half a year after initial release as a matter of principle, though. It would be less annoying to you and you could just enjoy the game as it was intended.

If you wait for the Switch release, I imagine it will already have all those things, so it's probably the best of both worlds to you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I would personally say that MHW was plenty complete on release, in the same way that Terraria was. They've just both been expanded to the point that they're essentially twice the game they used to be, compared to what your money got you on release.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Saxophone posted:

That said, I'm kind of in the same boat of kind of wanting to wait for most games. Asscreed Valhalla is coming out soon and I really want it, but I know if I wait 6 months they'll have a "GOTY edition" or "gold collection" or whatever that will be the game and all the DLC for the same price I would have paid at release without the DLC.

A lot of companies are just betting you won't be patient and it's a good bet. Hell I'm reasonably certain I'll still get asscreed because of how much I adored odyssey.
That sort of thing is annoying as poo poo, even more so because you just know you're getting fleeced by buying it early.

I will probably get the game, but I will not be getting it on release, I already know that much.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

...well, No Man's Sky hasn't been a worse experience for the added free content, so there's that at least.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"Basically" isn't the same as "actually." If it bills itself as a full release, it deserves to be judged by the standards of one.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hell yeah, I've been waiting for that for months. Amazing Cultivation Sim is a great and hilarious game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Communist Bear posted:

This looks positively insane and fun.
It absolutely is. Check out Nyaa's ongoing LP of the game here to get an idea of how utterly crazy and wonderful it is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915034

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Saxophone posted:

I desperately wish there were some way to turn my google play store but into steam credits.

Rimworld but even more bonkers sounds amazing.
It is Rimworld But Every Cheesy Chinese Fantasy Novel Ever. It's as good as it sounds.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Your sect can be a literal bunch of dicks, that's amazing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The game does have a crazy amount of interlinked systems that are often very fiddly and detail-oriented, so if that's not your sort of thing, then it would probably be a bad fit for you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sheriff Falc posted:

How complete would you describe the EA for this one? Would I be better off waiting for a year or is it relatively feature complete as it stands?
They've added a number of mechanics since I started playing attention to the game, such as the new Yaoguai race (ascended animals who try to find enlightenment, basically) but the game is effectively feature-complete. Everything is completely playable and you can take a sect from dirt-farming to godhood and never notice it's not quite version 1.0 yet.

The English beta patch is very good, by the way. I've played the game for hours and hours now and I've run into no problems.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

Ok, so I want to try out the Cultivator Sim, how do I access the english beta? I only have something called oldworld0.94 in the betas properties tab
You enter the beta code

quote:

gsqenglishtest
which will unlock it on that device. Then just select the beta as usual, the rest it does automatically. If you want to use it on another one, just enter the code there as well.

You might have to press the flag button in the main menu to switch to English, but I didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I do enjoy the "sled dog being menaced by four angry squirrels" screen shot on the store page.