Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

InsertPotPun posted:

that sounds cool, i might check that-

pass.
I think you misunderstood that. They're not literally paired. There's absolutely no relation between Hades and that anime, they just thematically go well together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I know it's Slitherine
How do they even get away with calling themselves that, anyway? They're even based in the UK. You'd the Rowling estate would be all over that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just came checking to see if this was mentioned since I saw it pop up on steam. Any idea how long it is? It's charming and I liked the demo a lot (took 10 or 15 minutes), but :20bux: seems steep for what feels like it'd probably be a short-ish game.
Howlongtobeat says it's about six hours on average, seven if you're being completionist about it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

:tipshat:
I always forget there are sites to track that. I'll put it on the wishlist for a sale at that length.
Yeah, it's a very useful resource and fairly reliable in my experience. It's one of those sites I pretty much always hit up before I commit to purchasing something.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The entire thing feels a bit like a dating sim visual novel in open-world RPG form, I guess.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

goons still recoiling from all social interaction and intimacy I see
Video games aren't social interaction, I'm good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Creeper World 2 is cool because where the others are top-down, that one is side-scrolling 2D. Full fluid physics on the creeper, too. It's the most unique game in the series, I think, and if you like unique experiences, that one is definitely that. Major recommendation.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you want FFT style tactics games, Fell Seal and Fae Tactics are both good. If you're willing to use EGS, there is a Battletech-style mecha SRPG called Phantom Brigade that is currently in Early Access. Then there is Troubleshooters, an anime-themed SRPG that is notorious for being insanely complex and continuously introducing more and more game mechanics. Finally we have Gears (of war) Tactics which is currently 50% off, but which is supposedly not really anything special except for the Gears of War license.

On the building sim side, we have Airborne Kingdom, which is apparently fairly short (10 hours for a full playthrough) but otherwise supposedly very chill and fun. Otherwise I can't think of much in that genre right now aside from Cities: Skylines, but there's more slated to come out sometimes next year I think.

Hope this helps.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

Huh I had heard quite a few people say Gears of War Tactics was surprisingly good?
:shrug: I've mostly heard people say that it's okay but nothing special and that the story is completely forgettable. I guess it depends on who you're talking to. At a 7/10 average, you'll always get a lot of mixed opinions.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

Thanks for the info, I probably won't get it rather than just reinstalling XCOM2. Probably the stuff I heard was intended like, "this is surprisingly decent given the genre change and origins" rather than just "this is great"
Yeah, that's pretty much the impression I also got from the way people have talking about it. Surprisingly good and mechanically solid for what it it is, just still not quite good enough to measure up to the standards set by games like X-COM or the Disgaea series.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, you get some really major stuff like the ability to manufacture mechanical drones as late as like the final fifth of the game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I really like metroidvanias in general, but I've been a bit disappointed by some of the releases we've been getting on PC recently, so I would appreciate it if you maybe go into a bit more detail about what the gameplay is like? Impressive vistas and good atmosphere are already a good start, but what does the game play like mechanically? Does it anything special or unique? Any particular gimmicks? Basically, I'd like to know what kind of cool things it allows you to do and how well it keeps up with giving you new abilities and mechanics to play with as you progress through the game. One thing I always find very disappointing in a game like that is when it frontloads all its mechanics and then basically turns into a jump'n'run game for the rest of its playtime.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nah, I think I'm good. Thanks for explaining, but I think that sounds like it's a very straightforward "probably not for me." Maybe it'll be in a bundle someday, I might give it a shot then.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"Factorio but you can literally eat planets" sounds like a game I would want to play, but I don't think I'm up for another EA title right now. Looks neat, though. Not a lot of games that will actually let you build a Dyson Sphere to scale.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, if you're going to steal, you might as well steal from the best.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It looks like one of those "could be really good five years from now" EA games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think the point was that on release, those games are rarely worth playing yet, they only become so later. That's not really wrong?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Instantly clicked that link and wow am I disappointed. Cell-shaded graphics in an eye-searing neon color palette are not how I want to my animal photography.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

VR in that game would probably make me poo poo myself the first time I run into a leviathan.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Play posted:

I feel like Metal Unit passed a lot of people by. If you like roguelites, or enjoyed Skul the Hero Slayer you'll like Metal Unit too as it's very similar. Main difference, which I appreciate, is that in Metal Unit once you beat a level and its boss you don't have to go back to that level again. So it's like a partial roguelite I guess.
I've mentioned it a few times in the Steam thread, mostly because the art struck me as a bit sleazy and I wanted to know if anyone has opinions - your player character constantly stands in a pose that looks like she's fingering her own nipples, it's weird. I've since spent a few hours just playing it blind and while I'm not in love with it, I think it's a very solid roguelite pseudo-Metroidvania. Reminds me a little of Rogue Legacy, but better. Bit heavy on the T&A in the character art, but it's barely noticeable in the characterization and such.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zore posted:

Its got new content and new mechanics. Creations now have unique abilities to invest in instead of just stat pumping for instance and there are new ones created by kickstarter backers. Can't speak to Gardians, I've literally never played a non-Shaper in any of the Geneforge games tbh since that's the entire appeal for me.
Yeah, I mean, why would you play a game with a premise as unique as that of the Geneforge games and then pick the class that does nothing except for hitting things with swords? I don't really know why those were even an option at all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The action portions of Sinking City are pretty bad, but otherwise I think it's the better title compared to the Call of Cthulhu game that was released at the same time. They're twin games in a lot of ways, but I think Sinking City at least tries to be original about the story it tells, which makes it just overall more charming.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Glad it's not just me. The idea of a cyberpunk city builder just strikes me as kind of... incongruous? Undirected, ungoverned and constantly growing sprawl and poverty are some of the defining qualities of the genre, after all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Steam tags are player-assigned unless the publisher feels like applying a few specific ones on the store page themselves. There's basically nothing that guarantees that a game will actually remotely fit all the tags it has. Wouldn't surprise me if some genius thought "this is hard, therefore soulslike."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

Roguelite means there's a town.
Angband: the original roguelite.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Grabbed that right away. Goon-made by who? So I know who to praise/complain to if do/don't end up liking it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You're definitively providing a valuable service here. I'm really enjoying that Shadows Behind The Throne game. It's Crusader Kings Lite, except instead of some dink-rear end Irish dynasty, you're Sauron.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it's a real shame. The game sounds interesting, like a single-player round of Space Station 13.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

I got this for a friend.

The best way I can explain it is disgaea pokemon
That's a good description. Siralim 3 was already crazy complex and I'm looking forward to seeing what Siralim Ultimate does with the formula.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The game gets pretty repetitive pretty quickly, but it's otherwise well-made.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dorfromantik is a fun word. It basically means "an idealized portrayal of the romantic quality of rustic country/village life," but there's a bit more nuance to it than that. The Shire in Lord of the Rings is pure Dorfromantik.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Before or after the scouring? :v:
Depends on if you're talking West German or East German villages.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The strange thing is, Bitcoin as cookie-clicker type game could probably be actually pretty fun. Well, as fun as idle games ever are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You can avoid killing animals for the most part, if you don't mind never really getting any new gear or leveling up. Since most gear or skills are just useful for killing things better, you wouldn't need them anyway. Just walking around, exploring the environments and taking in-game photographs is a fairly valid playstyle.