Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SeXReX posted:

I'm not completely done yet but wow this game SLAPS

Is that a good thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
That game does seem a bit hard. Mostly since I don't really have any sort of methology. Most of my solutions seem to be brute forced.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

itty bitty baby boy posted:

Hi, I just released a game called Wintermoor Tactics Club on Steam.

I think it's cool! That's probably not surprising. We actually got an 82 on Metacritic, which is dope as hell. It's kinda like Persona 4, but 1/4th as long, and with Into The Breach-combat instead of old-Final-Fantasy combat. Plus, it's got a little discount for launch week.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/917840/Wintermoor_Tactics_Club/

This looks fun. My backlog is a bit excessive these days, but I sorta want to add it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Umurangi Generation is out, and it's published by PLAYISM so you know it's going to be japanese and weird

and woah! it's the only camera-focused game I've seen since that one Pokemon game. Hell yeah!

I'd argue that Life is Strange counts. But that is mostly from a story perspective.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

hexceed's first DLC is out, if you need more levels.

I was kinda bored after the tutorial island, even though I was watching a movie during that. Honestly, I don't like that game and I played lots of hours of minesweeper and logged 328 hours on Demoncrawl. I guess a problem is that you can't chord, so it feels tedious to press on every single field.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

This feels like they came up with a pun and forcibly worked backwards to build a context in which it makes sense.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Play posted:

Song of Farca looks kinda cool, and I often like games like this with a simplified way of viewing the game world; in this case, a computer.

I just finished playing this. It was really well written and I absolutely recommend playing it!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

I like that it's 1% oft, so you can save those precious 6 cents.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Lost in Random is fun so far. The combat feels a bit janky, but it's something different and kinda fun. The world building is great and I really hear Ryan North's writing in some of those dialogues.

And I tried the Tales of Arise demo and was just kinda unimpressed. It's pretty and all, but it seems to have the same weaknesses, which made Tales of Beseria feel like a grind, past some point. Maybe the demo is just bad, or your characters aren't leveled well for this point of the game, but the combat just felt boring for some reason.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Hub Cat posted:

The Long Dark, the incredibly meta modern-day parts of AssCreed 4, part of Deus Ex: HR, and for a more recent title Moonglow Bay are all set in Canada

Shame on you for excluding Celeste!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's set in Canada? I thought it was a fantasy game?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Celeste
The game makes a point that it's just real live Canada with a girl who has to get over some issues. Just that mountain is magical for whatever reason.

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://twitter.com/microtrailers/status/1453755673825656841?s=20

New Square Enix Yoko Taro game, although it's a card battle based RPG so don't expect the complexity of a Nier:Automata. Has a demo, which I enjoyed.

I just played the demo and it was really bland. The music seemed to be nice, but nothing of that demo hooked me at all and the plot was nonexistant. Just the most generic JRPG (with a sort of nice art style). Does the full game turn into something more than that?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 29, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I guess that's a pass then. Too bad. :shrug:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

This one looks cool at least. I'll put it on my wishlist and consider buying it once there are some reviews.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Depending on your definition, Impostor Factory might count too.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Lakbay posted:

Has anyone done a few runs of this? I liked the demo but there's so many deck builder roguelikes

edit: found some impressions in the roguelike thread

Fights in Tight Spaces rules. It is a really nice mix between a tactics fighter and a deckbuilder. I am only on my second run, but I managed to beat the first four worlds. My favorite approach is to play it like Into the breach. Move enemies around to make them attack each other. And then throw them into a deathpit.
Apparently I just sat on that game for 6 hours. It's been a while since a game grabbed me in such a way.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

madfury posted:

Has anyone played it? It screams everspace to me which I loved and it is a full game release (what ever that means nowadays) but it came out of nowhere for me. There are a few streamers playing it and it looks fine. And I get suspicious if everything looks legit.... Its not like 5 hours long, is it?

I played the demo. It's really pretty and runs smoothly. But I absolutely suck at this type of game. I crashed my ship against the first encounter five times. I think, someone who has fun with flying games would enjoy it a lot.

Hwurmp posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1579380/Shadow_Tactics_Blades_of_the_Shogun__Aikos_Choice/

The standalone expansion for Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun is out now. :ninja:

I really want to hear impressions on this one. I liked the original a lot. Even did a pacifist run of the first level. That was super exhausting.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

I've only played one mission so far, but it's more Shadow Tactics. :thumbsup:

Sold!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

thecluckmeme posted:

My potential GOTY is dropping in around 40 minutes, so I'm going to pass the time before it's available hyping it up. I'll post the original game and the new game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/813630/Supraland/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1522870/Supraland_Six_Inches_Under/

Supraland is a first-person Metroidvania where the majority of the game is set up around puzzles using wildly varying movement mechanics in a sandbox. Literally, you're a tiny Meeple from Team Red that has to go solve a bunch of problems caused by Team Blue that are fundamentally breaking things in the sandbox the game takes place in. Every main upgrade you get in the game is a slap to the face in how you move in the world, everything changes and has you look at navigation/optional puzzles from an entirely new perspective. The original game was made largely by one person and billed itself as a majority exploration/puzzle game, with a small amount of combat that wasn't great. How I would bill the game, is that it is the secret-seekers Nirvana. If you get a dopamine kick out of breaking out of Mario Odyssey's intended boundaries so you can stack up a bunch of coins, or leave a Luigi balloon there to confuse and intimidate others, Supraland is your game. In Supraland, you get the stack of coins, and then you discover a curated puzzle based off the exploit/difficult movement you just did! There are puzzles hidden in secrets that are itself a secret in a puzzle that you completed a while ago, but now that you know you can burn cardboard, there might be a new secret puzzle to go find while you're exploring with your new movement options.

Supraland: Six Inches Under is a pseudo-sequel to the original, originally planned to be the 2nd DLC but ultimately ended up being an onboarding process for Supraland going from a one-person project to a team of people working on it, from sound design to model design to everything inbetween. The design perspective is supposed to lean heavily into the exploration and discovery aspect from the first game, so an area from Hour 1 might become relevant later, but instead of you stumbling on one puzzle there could be a whole series of puzzles to discover. There's also supposed to be much less of, and improved, combat in the game.

Supraland and the Supraland Crash DLC are permanently embedded in my Top 10 Games of All Time, so if you're the kind of person who jams their face into every wall hoping to find some Duke Nukem or Doom secret passages, you will probably like this game.

E: It is now available :sickos:

E2: I have 15% completion overall, and I just got the yellow upgrade. My brain now hurts. One of the biggest traversal upgrades just got a new upgrade that completely changes what you can do. :psyduck: The upgrade that lets you float next to any metal object now has the ability to point in any direction while floating and loving BOOST anywhere you want. :psyduck: :psyduck:

This game, like the prequel is incredibly fun. Apparently I spent 24 hours to 100% it this weekend.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

thecluckmeme posted:

I'm at 70% at 14 hours in and I am fully in :psyduck: mode right now

I have four upgrades left to find. I have the one that helps you find chests. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Did you revisit the new village recently? Because there is some stuff which only spawned long after I thought I was done there.
I am pretty sure that I know at least one of the more obscure upgrades you're missing. Hint: Burn Everything! Let the purifying flames feed on all that's precious!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

thecluckmeme posted:

When you say new village, do you mean the one on the surface?

Yes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Oh I should have specified. Those were two different things. The one in my spoiler tag is somewhere else.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

I am vaguely interested in this game. Any impressions so far?
The steam page is a bit weird. There are mostly positive reviews but for some reason, Chinese people seem to really dislike it. 90 percent of the negativ reviews are in Chinese. According to my translator, they are mostly in agreement that it's a brush game? I am fairly sure that this is a direct translation of some term.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Hey, quick question for the regulars of this thread since I dont follow game news much, have there been any other recent games that are in a similar vein as La Mulana? And yes Im already sold on the Supraland sequel

La Mulana 2?

Honestly, La Mulana is hard to top with all the bullshit that throws at you. I love exploration games like these.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Since that has come up recently:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1591620/LaMulana_2_The_Tower_of_Oannes/
The DLC for La-Mulana 2 has randomly appeared without a real announcement today.

Also, I finished Nobody saves the World. it was a nice game and all of the forms where fun to play. But ultimately you're not really doing a lot besides solving little miniquest to grind your skills. But that grinding was mostly short and kind of fun.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 23, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Oenis posted:

I also picked that up and keep coming back to it. It's pretty addicting. I almost bounced off because I don't think the first form (rat) is a good showcase for the combat system, but as it opens up it gets better. I'm about halfway up the tree and there's a lot of stuff to mix and match and level up. Doing quests for forms is pretty fun and I'm not finding it very grindy, tasks can be done pretty quick and while playing, it just forces you to switch up your playstyle every now and then.

Yeah, it's a smart system.. It also teaches absurd synergies. And sometimes there are just tasks with vague challenges where you have to figure out how to do that, rather than repeating a certain task a number of times.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

According to Wikipedia, the game has just shy of 43 hours of footage in it, which seems insane to me.

To be fair, a lot of the time, it's the same footage with four camera angles, which would stretch that out quite a bit.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Lakbay posted:

I'm enjoying this from the little I've played but it has a limited save system (exactly like ink ribbons in Resident Evil) which might irk some people. I can't play a little bit and quit, I gotta commit to a session lest I use up one of my precious saves.

I was interested in that game, but this really does irk me. People have stuff to do and might need to abort such a session. At least do thst thing where it saves on exiting and deletes that save the next time you play.
Is there a good reason for that, or is it just to annoy me?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I know how to make the idea worse! Let's have microtransactions for lootboxes which may contain save items.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

.random posted:

But the save items are also NFTs for waifus and by using the save item, you lose the NFT and the waifu cries and immediately covers up her heaving bosom in mourning.

If she get to upset, she will die from the longnterm effects of her forced vaccination.

Goon Project?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

i hate ironic dating sims. the only thing i hate more is ironic dating sims that are so tone deaf they think dating villages you pillage is funny— despite the fact that pillage is often paired with another word that starts with a r.

haha, this sounds funny and is not gross at all if you don't think about it more than a few seconds

but hey you can use any voice with any appearance, so its all good!

I found the idea amusing for a few seconds. But yeah, you kinda ruined that mood. That is indeed a bit messed up.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Some game called "Horizon Forbidden West" has been released. People seem to like it. But to PC release yet, so I guess I'll pass on it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Angry Avocado posted:

Will You Snail?

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256877193/movie480_vp9.webm

A snazzy looking precision platformer where you play as a snail who tries to outwit an evil AI called Squid, who takes sarcastic jabs at you every time you get killed. Also a solo dev project.

This is kind of fun and relatively good. But I refunded it. I really do like precission platformers and this one even has secrets strewn in there. But there is one mayor flaw. There are random spikes popping up from the ground. You get a half second warning so you can dodge them, but depending on your luck, they might just be unavoidable. For example, if you doublejump past an obstacle and are falling down towards a singular safe space. If the RNG decides to spawn such a spike there while you fall towards it, all you can do is perish.

It's always weird, when one little mechanic sort of ruins a game for me.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Tunic is really good. I sort of got stuck at one point and was confused for an hour, but so far I like it. Movement feels a bit slow though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

thecluckmeme posted:

If you roll once and hold the button down, you sprint

Yeah I know. But still. Maybe it will change as I progress, but I often feel like I react in time to avoid an attack, but get hit anyway, because the dodging feels slow. I guess it's mostly in my head, because the I-Frames come instantly. Something about the controls feels slow, but I can't put my finger on it.
The exploration and map design are top notch though. And I really love how they handled the manual. Learning about obscure game mechanics by earning the relevant information is a fun design.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Seems to be fun. I went through the demo and I enjoyed that, but I wonder if it holds up for longer than that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
This looks fun, but from the trailer it's a bit hard to judge what the gameplay is like. Has anyone tried it?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 2, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Fatty posted:

Blast Brigade vs. the Evil Legion of Dr. Cread

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256881741/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1649807462

So I've been playing this for the past few days, and its really drat good. Extremely polished. I would genuinely compare the feel of the platforming to something like Hollow Knight, with lots of wall clings and air dashes, and lots of exploration for hidden upgrades and secrets. Bosses are good, with well telegraphed attacks that are fun to dodge. I've generally beaten each on on about the third try, so It's about the right level of difficulty for me.

Okay, that one looks really great, I think I'll try it after the holidays.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

:same:

Has a demo, too

Played the demo,

It seems fun. The voicework is great and the controls feel right. I Will probably be my next buy once I am truly burned out with Elden Ring. Feels like that will happen soon.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Geomancing posted:

Are they actually supposed to load? I just get an eternal blank spot or at most, a thumbnail until I get fed up and click on the steam link to their own webpage.

Sounds like your addblock is acting up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Apparently the developers of Aeterna Noctis, (which is a really great but tough Metroidvania with impressive visuals and music)
made a prequel roguelike action platformer called Summun Aeterna which entered early access. Like the previous game it does look really pretty. If anyone tries it out, I'd like to hear your impressions.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256891532/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1655386817
No reviews yet.

Either way, Aeterna Noctis is really good. probably among my favorite Metroidvanias.