Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Palpek posted:

Basement - a full release of a highly acclaimed Early Access game where you start an illegal business in your basement

Good thread, and thank you in particular for this, which I was interested in awhile ago and completely forgot about. May well pick up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Gobblecoque posted:

Starcom: Nexus is a neat little game that left early access a few days ago and it feels like its been a bit overlooked so I thought I'd post about it. The most brief way to describe it is to say that it's basically Star Control 2 in 2019. You command a starship that has been suddenly whisked away to a wholly mysterious part of space and to figure out what has happened you explore, fight, conduct diplomacy, and expand your ship. I haven't finished it yet but from what I've played it's a very solid and faithful successor to Star Control while having enough differences to avoid feeling like it's just retreading old ground. Planet exploration is a textual affair not unlike surveying anomalies in Stellaris rather than the old (and rather tedious imo) resources collection minigame from Star Control. The coolest difference I think is that Starcom takes Star Control's ship customization and dials it up to eleven. You build your ship piece by piece on a hex grid for total control over how your ship looks and performs. It does mean the ships have a bit of a lego appearance to them which some people might love or hate but it also makes for a satisfying progression as you eventually expand your ship from a tiny shuttle to a massive battleship bristling with weapons.

Overall, Starcom's a fun and meaty game that's well worth the 17 bux. I highly recommend it to fans of Star Control, Starsector, and Spaz and anyone who likes games about space and exploration.

I've rarely read something about a video game that induces such a powerful need in me. I opened the Steam store before I even finished reading your post.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Gobblecoque posted:

Starcom: Nexus is a neat little game that left early access a few days ago and it feels like its been a bit overlooked so I thought I'd post about it. The most brief way to describe it is to say that it's basically Star Control 2 in 2019. You command a starship that has been suddenly whisked away to a wholly mysterious part of space and to figure out what has happened you explore, fight, conduct diplomacy, and expand your ship. I haven't finished it yet but from what I've played it's a very solid and faithful successor to Star Control while having enough differences to avoid feeling like it's just retreading old ground. Planet exploration is a textual affair not unlike surveying anomalies in Stellaris rather than the old (and rather tedious imo) resources collection minigame from Star Control. The coolest difference I think is that Starcom takes Star Control's ship customization and dials it up to eleven. You build your ship piece by piece on a hex grid for total control over how your ship looks and performs. It does mean the ships have a bit of a lego appearance to them which some people might love or hate but it also makes for a satisfying progression as you eventually expand your ship from a tiny shuttle to a massive battleship bristling with weapons.

Overall, Starcom's a fun and meaty game that's well worth the 17 bux. I highly recommend it to fans of Star Control, Starsector, and Spaz and anyone who likes games about space and exploration.

As stated I bought this on the strength of this recommendation alone and I want to report that it whips rear end, get this game and explore space and blow poo poo up

Particularly love some of the little touches like different races using different resources as currency.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Mandatory Assembly posted:

So check it out on Steam, goons. I love this dead dumb forum and it would mean a lot to me if SA got behind the game. We've got a bunch of other games coming out this year including a sequel to NEO Scavenger

Your current game doesn't look like my jam, but oh shiiiit Neo Scavenger 2 hell yeah that's a sale for you when that drops

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Mandatory Assembly posted:

We're gonna have a playable build of that at PAX East if you're going! But stay tuned for an Ostranauts announcement soon in any case. :)

Oh regrettably I'm in the UK but nonetheless I'm eager!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

Actually a very old game but it has just been pushed to steam for easy acquisition and I absolutely recommend the hell out of it, one of my favourite RTS games of all time. Also it's free.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1241950/Warzone_2100/

Also the soundtrack is awesome too.

You are in contravention of the New Paradigm.

Return to your designated area or be destroyed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

That sounds like the perennial Deathtrap Dungeon experience :v:

Also saw it on Steam though and thought if nothing else it's an interesting way to go about things.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

itty bitty baby boy posted:

Hi, I just released a game called Wintermoor Tactics Club on Steam.

I think it's cool! That's probably not surprising. We actually got an 82 on Metacritic, which is dope as hell. It's kinda like Persona 4, but 1/4th as long, and with Into The Breach-combat instead of old-Final-Fantasy combat. Plus, it's got a little discount for launch week.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/917840/Wintermoor_Tactics_Club/

Hey your game looks good I'mma buy it

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Dog Kisser posted:

Fussion Atomics

Yeah Vic's not a native speaker so he makes some mistakes in the English, but apparently he's really great about responding to stuff and fixing errors and bugs and whatnot. There's a thread for the game here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926377&pagenumber=1 Looks good to me but I haven't picked it up yet myself.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

hyphz posted:

Is there any better thread for discussing computer games in the Racial Equality Bundle?

There is!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926987

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Khanstant posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/798490/Othercide/

Seen this on steam today, seems like a good tactical turn based game at first glance.

Watched CaseyExplosion play some of it earlier and yeah, it looks pretty good

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Aerox posted:

I put six hours into Paradise Killer yesterday, and it's really, really excellent. I don't want to say too much or give anything away because a lot of the fun is just exploring and learning more about the bizarre world lore, but the best way to describe it is "occult vaporwave murder mystery." It combines visual novel-esque suspect investigation with a 3D open world to roam around in with some light puzzles sprinkled here and there. Nothing brain melting, but the game is a whole rear end mood and I'm super into it right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-uBBg2Ct4

Holy poo poo this looks incredible

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Star Renegades kind of owns so far.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Cardiovorax posted:

If you want FFT style tactics games, Fell Seal and Fae Tactics are both good. If you're willing to use EGS, there is a Battletech-style mecha SRPG called Phantom Brigade that is currently in Early Access. Then there is Troubleshooters, an anime-themed SRPG that is notorious for being insanely complex and continuously introducing more and more game mechanics. Finally we have Gears (of war) Tactics which is currently 50% off, but which is supposedly not really anything special except for the Gears of War license.

On the building sim side, we have Airborne Kingdom, which is apparently fairly short (10 hours for a full playthrough) but otherwise supposedly very chill and fun. Otherwise I can't think of much in that genre right now aside from Cities: Skylines, but there's more slated to come out sometimes next year I think.

Hope this helps.

Huh I had heard quite a few people say Gears of War Tactics was surprisingly good?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Kanos posted:

It's not bad, but it's also not great. It does a really good job of translating Gears style combat(oohrah big beef hulkmans chainsawing monsters) to a turn based strategy game, and it has some really cool mechanical ideas, but it falls down because it's a completely linear campaign with little variance or reason for replay, the generic troops are utterly replaceable/forgettable, and the loot system loving sucks rear end(literally loot crates with random items with % bonuses to random poo poo bolted to them).

It's not a waste of money but it's pretty far down the list of turn based strategy games I'd spend AAA money on.

Thanks for the info, I probably won't get it rather than just reinstalling XCOM2. Probably the stuff I heard was intended like, "this is surprisingly decent given the genre change and origins" rather than just "this is great"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Irene is an incredible character.

"Villain."
"I think they're a villain."
"Sounds like something a villain would say."
"DEFINITELY a villain!"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oh dang I had my eye on that one for awhile, did not know the release date!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oh god oh gently caress I've wanted a cyberpunk city builder for literal decades if this is remotely good I'm going to vanish into it for just as long

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I was supposed to be in bed an hour and a half ago and I'm still up playing this

It's loving incredible

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Saw this on Steam and came here to share the news, should have known Strix would get there first :p

OpenTTD is excellent regardless, that it's free is truly bonkers.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Second Sight is one I always meant to play but passed me by, so it's cool to see it around. Might grab it and do some psychic bullshit!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

It's difficult for me to express just how much this is My poo poo so thank you Strix for bringing it to my attention

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

FITS is really really good and I highly recommend the grappler deck if you wanna pretend you're big boss.

Another voice for FITS, I bought in when it hit EA and loved it then, now that it's in 1.0 I'm back and it's better than ever. Just brilliant. Deserves to be known alongside StS as a time-eater.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I also want a game that's even better than the GOTY. :hmmyes:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I'm liking XN2 a lot after few hours, as a long-time veteran of X-Com. It's definitely not a revolutionary change or massive improvement but it just feels so much cleaner, snappier, and with a streamlined UI that has everything just where you need it to be. It's doing an absolutely excellent job of having me consider exacty how I should tackle each situation, whether I should bait the enemy with my MARS, pop smoke for cover, try and throw a flashbang at them, take a long-range shot with a sniper, etc.. If you have XN1 then it's probably worth waiting on to see how the content gets fleshed out over the next nine months (The estimated time to release, though they freely say it could be longer), unless you're a subgenre fanatic like me. There are plenty of placeholders in flavor text and so on, but the core gameplay seems rock solid and it's so much smoother than the original.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Dramicus posted:

Lets go back even further to Microsoft's "The Zone" or the other one I forget what it was called, maybe "Heat" or whatever. I remember playing Jedi knight 1 that way, you had to join games through your web browser.

The Something Awful Forums -> Video Games -> Fresh Releases - THE FAT BOYS HAVE ARRIVED.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

External Organs posted:

Can you imagine doing QA on this game?? What's a glitch? What's the intended behavior??

Need a PhD to even apply to be a playtester for this thing

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

midnight77 posted:

The Planet Crafter

A game I bought in early access came out. I quite like it. A chill game with no combat about terraforming a planet.

Oh neat, I didn't think it was gonna hit 1.0 anytime soon. Will have to give it a go, like you I liked the EA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

O sick, gonna enjoy this one! Love me a Mission on the Front.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2761610/Creator_of_Another_World/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257002905/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1708992529

Creator of Another World. Japanese-made roguelike, seen some comparisons to Elona. Not enough reviews yet to generate a score but the two I can currently see are positive, and it's an intriguing enough idea.