Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This one isn't new but it basically vanished in the flood so I figure it can fit here:

Golden Treasure: The Great Green - visual novel/CYOA game where you're a dragon and Steam says that if you liked Disco Elysium you should play this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Worthless_Bums/status/1197078189291556864

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mahoning posted:

Hey I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I couldn't really find a "recommend me" thread. So maybe someone could either answer this or point me in the right direction.

So basically, my dad has been exhibiting signs of Alzheimer's (everything except the tremors, which is why they're not calling it Alzheimer's) but he's been doing much better cognitively after beginning to take Alzheimer's medication. The problem is he can't drive anymore and was forced to retire from his job and so he's sitting home all day, not using his brain. The neurologist at the Cleveland Clinic suggested video games and so my mom charged me with finding something that he would actually enjoy (or even do at all). My only idea is a racing game, maybe even with one of those racing wheels? My dad likes NASCAR and the Indy 500 and all that (and he misses driving) and I thought that would maybe be something he'd enjoy.

So anyways, the question is what would be the right combination of console/game/accessory? I'd like to figure this out by this weekend so my mom can buy whatever. I don't think money is necessarily an issue (my mom knows she has to buy a console and a game at the very least, but I don't think she's willing to go as far as one of those crazy driving sim rigs)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3196783

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/1215302210851966976?s=19

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/913740/WORLD_OF_HORROR/

WORLD OF HORROR features branching stories with five playable characters to brave the chaos, each with their own story and a different perspective on the events that unfold. Unravel puzzles and mysteries through spells that sacrifice sanity. Uncover disturbing and shocking clues. Diligently search every nook and cranny, scouring for helpful items that may come in handy in another twisted encounter.

Experience the quiet horror of this love letter to the works of Junji Ito and H.P. Lovecraft. WORLD OF HORROR is free of typical jump scares, relying solely on its unnerving environments and amorphous terrors to create a gnawing sense of dread. Complimented by haunting chiptunes and a 1-bit art style with a variety of available palettes, WORLD OF HORROR presents a series of frightening and unsettling accounts that linger well after stepping away.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

itry posted:

This reminds me of an old (maybe PC shareware) game where you walk around in Edo(?) period Japan and try not to get eaten by demons. It was creepy and weird.
Similar UI, but in color.

I tried looking for it but with no success.

Cosmology of Kyoto! I love that game!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ancient Enemy, the latest game from the people behind Regency Solitaire and Shadowhand is out!

quote:

Ancient Enemy is a strategic RPG card game in which you make interesting tactical decisions as you battle distorted enemies and overcome challenging puzzles. Face a horde of deadly enemies, each one emerging from a world in which evil has already triumphed. You must not only endure, but also rebuild your powers to vanquish evil and fight one last duel against your monstrous nemesis!

Travel through a scarred landscape with dozens of atmospheric levels, draw power from the Earth, and struggle for the soul of the world itself. Test your skills against a host of foes in unique solitaire-style turn-based combat!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/EchodogGames/status/1250816687735222273

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Donnerberg posted:

Yeah, Druidstone will be a let down if you go in expecting Fantasy XCOM. The puzzle combat is closer to Into The Breach, but even that comparison is misleading because of its fixed scenarios.

Trials of Mana is a week away btw: https://store.steampowered.com/app/924980/Trials_of_Mana/

It's a remake of Seiken Densetsu 3 (1995), which was a sequel to Square's SNES classic Secret of Mana. It never had a Western release, but was well received in Japan. It's an action RPG with multiple main characters and origin stories to choose from. Think Dragon Age, but JRPG.

I never played the original and how no idea what to expect or how faithful the remake will even be. The graphics don't look too hot in the trailer and the voice acting is pretty cheesy. This is no FF7 Remake. It seems the main selling point here is simply getting access to an old, Japan exclusive.

It's so frustrating because the original SD3 had jaw-droppingly beautiful graphics, among the prettiest on the SNES, so they made this ugly-rear end 3D version instead of just translating that one. :T

If you're interested in this at all, PLEASE do yourself a favor and play the original for the SNES with the fan translation patch. It's one of the masterpieces of that console.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

If it hasn't been ported to PC then it doesn't exist for me.* Therefore I'm still pissed that they're bringing this thing to PC ahead of the original.

*If Shin Megami Tensei V ever drops I will get a switch for it. But until then nothing will make me budge.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Womyn Capote posted:

Even at 15 bux I can really recommend Intergalactic Fishing on Steam. A lot of it might be nostalgia for the old ANSI fishing games of the early 90s.

Seconding this, and saying no, it's not nostalgia - it's just a really good game. Figuring out what kind of lure fishes like, where they are, etc etc is really satisfying and I love chilling with it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I am kind of interested, but I have never played a fishing game before and I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Can someone give me a short breakdown of what the gameplay is like?

WASD to drive boat around. Left click to cast line. Left click to reel line in. The green bar indicates tension on the line - any red is tension. If you see red, right click to begin catching fish. Left click to pull them in. Use scroll wheel to change your reel speed - stay low so you don't break the line.

It's simple and effective. The rest of the UI is mouse driven and intuitive.

The primary gameplay loop is going to different lakes and trying to find where the fish are - shallow/deep/etc - and catching them so you can study or sell them.

The twist is lures: you build them in a tetris like display. Some fish like bright lures or quiet or...

I once went from catching nothing to everything by figuring out that dark was best for a fish.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Umurangi Generation is out, and it's published by PLAYISM so you know it's going to be japanese and weird

quote:

Umurangi Generation is a first person photography game in the lovely future. Set in Tauranga Aotearoa off the back of an impending crisis you are a courier for the Tauranga Express. Throughout the game you will unlock a variety of lenses and equipment.

Unique and expressive grading system
Each photo you take is judged on its colour, content and composition. Taking a photo will net you a cash score which will go towards your final payout.

Complete Photo Bounties any way you like. Once you've completed these bounties deliver the parcel to finish the level.

Exploration bonuses on each level
New equipment for your camera is unlocked by finding film canisters, recreating postcards, fulfilling timed deliveries, and finding a way to fit all of your friends in one photo.

and woah! it's the only camera-focused game I've seen since that one Pokemon game. Hell yeah!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Unreal_One posted:

Is Fatal Frame a joke to you!?

Too scared of ghosts to remember the camera element of those games

also drat I wish they'd be brought to PC

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Do you have any ETA on the english translation? Closed beta, is that weeks, months, years...?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay sold, thanks for the fan translation nyaa.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Catalina posted:

I actually discovered that game and the Xianxia genre through your Let’s Play; thank you very much! I really want to play, it’s hard having enough willpower to wait until the full English translation is released.
I wonder if it’s possible to get a copy if you get accepted to beta.

Have you played Rimworld? It won't have the absolutely awesome flavoring of Cultivation Sim, but I'm getting familiar with the gameplay which is going to be handy whenever the translation drops.

In the meantime, same! same same reading nyaa's LP thread got me into reading xianxia and I now have World of Cultivation, Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation, Nine Star Hegemon something Body Art, and more in my bookmarks. They're perfect light reading for when I need a break from reading the nonfiction chonkers I've been working on!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bogart posted:

This isn't necessarily related, but I've never heard of the Xianxia genre before. What's a good place to start, either book or game-wise?

nyaa's LP thread.

Aside from being a fun LP the thread discusses the genre and book recs and such. It's a good resource.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Wuxiaworld has a bunch of translated xianxia novels for free, just check out a few and see if you like them. Fair warning, though: a lot of them are incredibly bad. Xianxia is kinda like urban fantasy romance novels in that 99% of it is bargain bin genre writing for people who are super into it and don't read anything else.

Plus the awkwardness of translations making thing read weird to boot!

Ah well, they're super fun popcorn reading.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Sums it up, really. I'm currently reading I Shall Seal The Heavens and it's apparently considered one of the better ones. I would compare it to Piers Anthony novels in that it's honestly not good, but kind of funny at times and a decent enough time-waster.

that is the worst possible comparison you could make because piers anthony likes to put pedophilia in his books as a good thing, and as far as I know none of the xianxia books are that kind of garbage

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Yes, I know, the guy is a total creep, but Piers Anthony has written other books than just the Xanth series, you know. I'm about twenty chapters in and I'd put what I've read of it so far about on the level of his Incarnations of Immortality series, in terms of quality. This isn't really the place to discuss this, but if you want I can PM you some excerpts. It's fairly light but non-skeevy reading.

you have missed my point by a mile, I know he's written non-xanth stuff, I'm saying that you shouldn't read him at all because he PUT PEDOPHILIA INTO HIS BOOKS AND WROTE IT AS A GOOD THING

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fresh releases:

Command and Conquer Remastered Collection came out two days ago, you should look at it.

Sea of Thieves also dropped on the third so it's finally on steam.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/690040/SUPERHOT_MIND_CONTROL_DELETE/

SUPERHOT 2 IS OUT

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

New indie games that I have noticed but not bought yet:

Dead Age 2 - early access zombie rpg thing

Phogbound -

quote:

Its a some kind of puzzle strategy game, where you play for a creatures against humans.
The player cannot directly control units, but can choose the direction of attack, the number and type/class of attackers.

Dark Beastiary

quote:

Dark Bestiary is turn-based combat-focused RPG with classless progression system and tons of skills.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Crossposting from the steam thread as Othercide dropped TODAY.

Okay! Time for an Othercidep Opinion Post. I've played it for 39 minutes and have a basic grasp on what it is.

The tl;dr: Othercide is a roguelike XCOM focused on metaprogression/currency that you use to unlock buffs and other cheaty bits so you eventually get strong enough through skills and metaprogression to win the game.

The story is, some lady in 1897 (ish) was fighting supernatural monsters when they killed her and now we're outside reality fighting against the incursion of an eldritch horror thing. None of this explained, though there is a codex in the menu where you can get hints and character bios. There's a heavy theme of remembering what this woman's life was like, and that impacts what the eldritch thing is, and why it's hunting her(?).

Gameplay is (so far) smooth XCOM combat where everyone has Action Points and if you conserve them that means you can move sooner. You can cast delayed attacks (and so can the monsters) that can be interrupted and such, or you can go for instant moves. There's also a Burst system where you can use double your AP to do a lot, but your next move comes waaaay later. The tutorial really encourages combos and thinking about how to effectively crush your foes. That said, while the UI shows you and tells you what enemies will do next, I haven't seen a damage estimate (yet?) so there's that element of randomness. And you can miss, but it's not xcom common.

You deploy three units per fight, and fights are kind of wave-based - the first two missions were kill [x] units so the rest will spawn in, then kill them.

Units can gain traits - one of mine is arrogant so she gets a XP minus modifier and critical hits up - and be leveled up and taught new skills (but not many). You can equip skills with power-up boosts so they hit harder or whatever.

The structure seems to be deploy to do mission -> level up/allocate power-ups -> sleep for a "day" to recharge folks -> do another mission, and eventually we'll hit a boss and then I think new stages as it repeats until the finale. There is also a button to reset your entire run at any time for meta-currency so you can buy new perks and stuff.

I have not experimented with units dying yet, but they can be revived? Nor have I done much else, this is all baby stages impression. But so far this is my jam and I'm really glad I went in knowing it would be a roguelike, as if I were expecting a linear thing that would bug me. Expectations!

...also pester me sometime to talk about Attack of the Earthlings, the other XCOM I've been playing lately, which goes hard the other way - linear campaign, heavy focus on puzzle solving and optimizing your run through a mission, and instead of moody atmospheric writing it's just bugs eating sci-fi corporate hell peons. Also it's short, whereas Othercide looks like it will not be.

e: Othercide is 35$ which I feel is a fair price for this kind of thing, but yeah, don't dip unless that all sounds exactly like your jam.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

haldolium posted:

What's the anime tolerance level for this?

What does this question mean?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Othercide update: the ONLY two ways to heal your units is to sacrifice units of a similar level or higher into them, OR revive them from death, and revival tokens are rare.

"so get a bunch of benchwarmers" no, making a new unit costs 300 currency and you get 150 currency per battle.

AND your most powerful skills cost HP to use.

I am drat impressed by how this game goes all-out in going "no, gently caress you" with its systems. I haven't seen anything this hostile since Pathologic! I mean I'm enjoying it, but it's a huge paradigm shift from what the norm is in this genre. Mix with the grinding and the oppressive atmosphere and it feels like a nightmare.

All of which to say, I really like it! I don't know if I would have bought it for myself knowing what I know now, but as a gift preorder I'm really digging it and can't wait to see the boss and see how the game evolves as you get deeper in.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Approaching Infinity is out!

quote:

A sci-fi turn-based, tile-based Traditional Rogue-Like of incredible scope, accessible to new players, challenging to experienced rogue-likers. Explore an infinite procedural open-world universe full of unique environments as you lead your ship and crew to victory or death. Okay, mostly death.

The neat thing about this one is that it's been out for at least a decade, but the dev got stuck with an rear end in a top hat publisher who forced him to sell it on their website for 40$ and as soon as he got free he put it on steam and now we can play it!!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dackel posted:

Early Access hmmmm

To quote the dev:

quote:

Why Early Access?
“Approaching Infinity is a complete game. But from my current perspective, it's the background for a substantially richer and more complex experience. Deeper interactions, superior stories. And you, the Steam Community, can help!”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“Approximately 6 months. I expect all true "errors" to be caught in the first few weeks, and then it's all just features, features, features!”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“Approaching Infinity is already a fully playable, winnable, lose-able traditional rogue-like game set in space.

Steam achievements still need to be finished, and trading cards too. I'd like to make lots of little quality-of-life improvements, and implement a 10th victory condition (there are already 9 different ways to win!)

Planned features include expanding planets, a built in shipwreck editor, geological events, more personal involvement between captain, crew, and aliens, etc.

But the real motivation to be in early access is all the interactions, quality-of-life improvements, and totally new ideas that the community will suggest.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“Playable and addictive! Every item in the current feature list is enabled and working. There may still be some "divide by zero" errors lurking in the code, which is another reason to do early access for a while. Thanks in advance for those bug reports!”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“Yes. Early Access pricing is lower, while full release will be higher. But nowhere near its all-time high :p”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“In the past I worked with a highly involved community, and together we implemented a LOT of new features; I want to do that again!

Approaching Infinity uses the written words, visual art, and level designs of hundreds of people. I want the Steam community to contribute planet names, poetry, short references, abstract art, and shipwreck levels that will be curated and added into the game.”

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Donnerberg posted:

Star Renegades is fun. It's Into The Breach with JRPG combat. There's a big puzzle element to the combat with turn management, stunning and delaying the enemy. It also has the Shadow of Mordor nemesis system. It's hard to tell how much variety there is from just a couple of hours played, but so far so good.

Necromunda plays like Valkyria Chronicles, but slower. The soundtrack and gang design and the fancy cutscenes are all fantastic, but it's sooo loving slow. I don't see myself sticking with it unless the PvP is popular.

me: I'm not going to buy a game today ---

"Star Renegades is fun. It's Into The Breach with JRPG combat. There's a big puzzle element to the combat with turn management, stunning and delaying the enemy" nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1372320/Cloud_Gardens/

quote:

In Cloud Gardens players must harness the power of nature to overgrow lo-fi scenes of urban decay and manufactured landscapes. By planting seeds in the right places, they’re able to create small overgrown dioramas of brutalism and beauty, salvaging and repurposing hundreds of discarded objects to create unique structures for nature to reclaim.

Players can dive into a relaxing sandbox mode with no goals, where they are simply left to delight in their own creativity and create beautiful scenes, or take on a “campaign” of six chapters, where the task is to strike a balance between nature and the manufactured by covering each scene with salvaged objects and lush vegetation.

This is a chill game where the player is allowed to delight in their own creativity. The player's task is to completely cover the scene in plants. As you overgrow the objects, a meter fills to show your progress. You are given objects to expand the scene. These objects contribute energy to the growing of plants, but you will also have to cover them in foliage to complete the stage, striking a balance between nature and the manufactured.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Neo Scavenger dev has dropped

Ostronauts

quote:

A noir spaceship-life sim, set in a solar system cut-off from a ravaged Earth. Design your one-of-a-kind spaceship. Hire crew with physical and emotional needs. Enjoy detailed ship control panels and interiors. Then manage your dysfunctional crew and ship as you fend off bankruptcy...or worse.

It's in EA and it looks REALLY good aaaaa

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

al-azad posted:

Classic puzzle game Chip's Challenge is now free on Steam for its 30th anniversary in a really good version that lets you mix and match the gaudy Windows 3.1 era graphics.

I checked this out and wow the Win 3.1 graphics are incredibly gaudy. It's got some clever puzzles too, I'll have fun untangling them!

and eyyy more Halo for the Halo pile, looking forward to marathoning the whole series when they're done patching it all in.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I can't find 13 Sentinels, is it an epic only game?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

even worse

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Alamoduh posted:

I looked at the LP intro, and I don’t understand. Is this game an MMO or multiplayer only, or is there a single-player option? Is the single player an afterthought? Comparing it to rimworld is tempting me!

The game is single player only, how did you get the MMO/multiplayer impression?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/mikeBithell/status/1308501264452456449

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/KitfoxGames/status/1316771062349086721

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

New RTS out: ICBM

quote:

ICBM is a real-time strategy game of nuclear destruction. Research new technologies, build up your nuclear stockpile and use a combination of ships, planes and missiles to strike at the heart of your opponents’ cities while keeping your population safe from harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Conquest of Go - I need someone to play this and tell me if it's actually good at teaching you how to play Go