Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Avengers isn't a terrible co-op beatem up thing and the story is alright, it's just..man the live service destiny stuff was a huge misstep, enough to the point where half the marketing for Guardians is "NO ONLINE DON'T WORRY"

I added up what the cost of buying all of the cosmetics for a single character in Marvel's Avengers would be. It was somewhere around $400. To get a bunch of costumes and visuals for one character. There are nine characters. This is (was) a $60 game. Edit: It's showing $40 retail now, but I'm not sure if there was a price drop since release.

It's not a terrible game if you want a dumb "mash buttons, destroy bad guys" experience. And it's on Game Pass for PC (and Xbox?), so effectively "free" for a lot of people.

Anyway. Thanks to the thread for reminding me Inscryption is out (and apparently great). The trailer was intriguing back at E3, and then it completely fell off my radar.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Unpacking is out now. It's very chill and does a nice job of telling a story with no text, other than a one sentence thing that doesn't infer much at the end of each 'memory'. Also play Witchbeam's other game while you're at it, Assault Android Cactus rules.

Nice! I just saw that Unpacking is free on Game Pass, too.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

lordfrikk posted:

Gunk was released on Gamepass on the 16th and having played ~2 hours so far, it's really endearing and nice-looking, with great music. Somebody compared it to PS2-era platformers with modern graphics and well-written characters. I completely skipped PS2-era stuff so I can't say either way but I really like the game so far. It's also not open-world with ton of useless collectibles which I appreciate a lot.
Circling back since a lot of people haven't played it yet, and I just finished it last night.

The Gunk is... fine. There's nothing new or groundbreaking in terms of gameplay or plot. The visuals are quite pretty. The puzzles are serviceable. Sucking up gunk and the occasional alien creature is kind of fun the first few times you do it, but then it mostly feels like you're repeating the same steps over and over. What you do in the first ten minutes is essentially what you're doing at the end, even with the minor power-ups you get along the way. There is not a challenging moment in the game.

The problem with "fine" is that this was made by the designers of the Steamworld series, who have created some of my all-time favorite games. All of the Steamworld games have been special in their own way, usually taking a tired genre and perfecting it, and injecting loads of style and small but important innovations.

The Gunk is a perfectly pleasant way to spend 6-8 hours, and it's on Game Pass, so "free" for many of us. But nothing about it is special, and from Image and Form Thunderful, I've come to expect better.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 21, 2021

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

thecluckmeme posted:

My potential GOTY is dropping in around 40 minutes, so I'm going to pass the time before it's available hyping it up. I'll post the original game and the new game.

Supraland is a first-person Metroidvania where the majority of the game is set up around puzzles using wildly varying movement mechanics in a sandbox.

(...)
Thanks for this!

The entire Supraland series had gone completely under my radar. The original Supraland is on Game Pass, and while I know this isn't the thread for discussing older games, after reading your post I installed it and immediately fell in love with it.

I'll be picking up the new one soon!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

haldolium posted:

Two Point Campus was released today
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1649080/Two_Point_Campus/

no reviews yet, but its from the Two Point Hospital dev (and looks very similar) so I would expect it or hope it might be equally fun
Two Point Campus is included on Game Pass for PC as well, so you can check it out for free* if you have that.

I have it installed already, just need work to settle down for the day so I can give it a try.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

mobby_6kl posted:

Saints Row is out or at least will be imminently. That's the only game I've been looking forward to recently and looks like it's going to suck, sadly :(

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/08/saints-row-game-review-an-open-world-mess-beyond-redemption
Several people are playing it on Twitch this morning if you want to see it in action.

Uh, "action".

Everything I've seen about this points to the words "ship it anyway, we have an earnings call next week".

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The Talos Principle 2 just went up for pre-sale on Steam, with a release date of November 2, 2023.

I am usually the #1 advocate for "don't pre-order games, ever", but it's currently 10% off, and this is an auto-buy for me more than any game in recent memory.

Edit: Apologies, I meant to post this in the Puzzle Games thread. But I guess it's a soon-to-be-fresh release?

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 30, 2023

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

cant cook creole bream posted:

I love FITS, but I'm not all that much in love with the cards of that DLC. The endgame of that DLC-campaign is kind of ridiculously hard to the point of unfairness. I struggle to come up with a theoretically card combination which wouldn't leave you with massive damage.

Agreed, I can breeze through the regular game with any deck on Classic or Classic Plus, but using the DLC deck/campaign I'm getting wrecked toward the end. And that's after getting a permanent momentum bonus pretty early on.

There just isn't great synergy in that deck. Keeping the gun out or holstering it is a bit fiddly, and sometimes sticks you with dead cards in your hand in a way that most decks don't (or can be easily culled).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Deakul posted:

Why does it matter how many servers it had up? Can't players host their own?

Apparently that wasn't working either.