Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Gnosia is a visual novel that just got a Switch port after previously being released as a Japanese Vita exclusive (in 2019!) It's presented as a series of games of Mafia/Werewolf; you're on a spaceship with a cast of characters with varying traits and personalities, some of who have been infected by the eponymous parasites and are secretly plotting to wipe out the humans remaining on the ship. There are discussion periods where crew members will sling accusations back and forth, at the end of which there's a vote as to who gets put into cold sleep. If there are Gnosia remaining during the night, they can kill one crew member before the next day.

As the first game concludes, whatever the result, you'll suddenly find yourself set back to the beginning of the scenario, with perhaps a slightly different cast of characters and different infected crew members. You'll quickly discover that you're one of the only people aware of the time loops, and over the course of these loops you'll unlock more crew members as well as more roles, such as the Engineer who can investigate a crew member every day or the Doctor who can study the body of the person voted into deep freeze to see if they were Gnosia or human. Eventually you'll get to a point where you can basically create custom games, set how many crew and Gnosia will be present as well as which extra roles will exist, and choose your role in the coming loop.

There's clearly some sort of overarching story that I haven't gotten far enough to figure out, but I'm really enjoying my time so far. The specific dialogue in the voting phases is fairly perfunctory and repetitive, but that didn't bother me as much as I'd feared, given that the real gameplay lies in exanining who's suspicious of who, who's protecting their friends—out of loyalty, or perhaps a more sinister collusion. You also have stats that control how well you can sway others to your side, read people well enough to tell when they're lying, use logical deduction and more. As you level your skills with experience points you get from playing out these loops, you can improve your skills as well as unlocking new statements you can make during the deliberations.

Other fun facts:
- you can be male, female, or nonbinary in the character creator which I always appreciate. A couple of the crew members are nonbinary as well, and thus far I haven't seen any weird poo poo about it
- Gnosia is from the same studio that did Unholy Heights! I really enjoyed that neat little game, but what a divergence...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

There is one minor part/thing, but Playism was contacted about it and they agreed it was a misstep and are looking at changing it

Ah that's too bad, though good on them for addressing it. Mind sharing what it is in spoiler tags or something?

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah no problem. Scroll up a lil from Playism's reply here to see what it's about. You might also first have to click Playism's tweet because Twitter is run by idiots.

drat that's a great response :) excited that the game will soon be even more good

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

DropTheAnvil posted:

there is no stat drain in Punch Club 2

This should have been the entirety of their marketing campaign

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sway Grunt posted:

Probable GOTY candidate FIND ALL 4: Magic unlocks in six hours.

Hell yeah!!! This series is unironically among the cream of the crop as far as Steam hidden object games go, I have all the others and enjoyed them thoroughly.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
TEVI just came out, $29.99 with a 10% launch discount. It's from the makers of Rabi-Ribi and brings that same mix of bullet hell and metroidvania. I played and greatly enjoyed the demo, and I loved Rabi-Ribi even when it made me roll my eyes, so I'm looking forward to playing the full game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

bredfrown posted:

Kinda anxious posting this, but I released this just last week. Fixed a bunch of stuff (it's my first game, lol):
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1746590/discussions/0/

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgnct-EYxKg

It's episodic (since I work fulltime), but I'll be putting it on sale frequently.

Congrats! I picked it up and I'll try and give it a play soon :)