Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I've read that Star Renegades is getting a Switch port, later this year, and I've been holding out for that.

Also, it looks like the devs are going to be adding some content over the next months. I hate this kind of release. When I start a game, it has a limited window before I need to move on to something new. I rarely come back to a game once it's been shelved. That pushes me away from purchasing a game like this on release because I won't be getting the finished product.

Am I just being an rear end in a top hat? Does anyone else feel this way?

It can go either way. Like I find myself putting off games I'm excited about playing for this reason, where I want to wait to play the definitive version, but then by the time I get to it I'm just not as excited about playing it as I was at the time and I feel like I lost out by not playing it during that period of initial excitement. But I definitely have had the other experience where I feel like I've been screwed by playing when a game was still in a rough state or didn't have cool features that got added down the line too.

Saxophone posted:

That said, I'm kind of in the same boat of kind of wanting to wait for most games. Asscreed Valhalla is coming out soon and I really want it, but I know if I wait 6 months they'll have a "GOTY edition" or "gold collection" or whatever that will be the game and all the DLC for the same price I would have paid at release without the DLC.

A lot of companies are just betting you won't be patient and it's a good bet. Hell I'm reasonably certain I'll still get asscreed because of how much I adored odyssey.

FWIW the AssCreed games tend to be so long that I'm completely burned out by the time I finish the base content and need to take a long break before I even want to think about taking on any DLC (and I only actually finished 1 out of the last 4 AC DLCs ever for that reason), so that's a series where I'm pretty comfortable jumping in early. Nothing wrong with waiting for a sale if money is tight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Anime is good but only in the form of a visual novel without H scenes (seriously wtf Japan) or FFXIV.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Not sure if I'll replay Geneforge with the remake since it's only been like 5-6 years since I played the original, but if you never played the original and have any interest at all in the kinds of games Spiderweb makes, this is a good one.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Time loop you say? What a novel idea for a video game.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm not tired of time loops yet. I'm also not tired of zombies so :shrug:

Some video game trends are good

I don't actually have a problem with it, it's just funny how many came out this year.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Which ones? I always am interested in time loop media. I know of Forgotten City, 12 Minutes, Outer Wilds (not this year but the DLC came out)...

I think someone made a list a while ago but the two others that come to mind are Deathloop and Returnal.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Oh yeah also Loop Hero.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hugoon Chavez posted:

It had less than a thousand concurrent players on steam during its release and it's sitting lower than Artifact on twitch viewers. I wouldn't thought the reception would be far better just because of the big names involved, but there we go.

The preview they put out when they announced it was live service looked like poo poo, and that instantly killed every bit of buzz the game had. Pretty much every reference I've seen to it on twitter since then has been some variation of 'why the gently caress did they do this?'

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Manager Hoyden posted:

From what I understand, Immortality uses faces and pictures like the other Barlow games use words to associate clips. So you can highlight a face and see the other videos in which that face appears. The game has tits in it, and you can highlight the tits to see all the times those tits appear

Game of the year

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This thread's good because it's almost entirely about providing information about new games instead of slapfighting. People know it's a game that exists and is out now, and they've been warned about the dev's past behavior, so do with that what you will and stop worrying about what other people are doing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I can't help wondering if making a browser forever game that prints money just massively warps their perception of what games are supposed to look like, so they're incapable of making a straightforward game for people to play through without a bunch of frustration to prolong the experience. Or at least maybe the core competencies of keeping a more than decade old browser game going and making new games doesn't overlap a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

FWIW the specific allegations against him were more innuendo and being a bad boss to someone he cheated on with a coworker (who's now his wife)/broke up with than being an outright sex criminal. If you don't want to support him that's fine, but people referring vaguely to him being a sex pest makes it sound like he was out there sexually assaulting people.