Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Anyone going to be playing the Sentinels of Freedom game when it releases later today?

Superheroes meet X-com seems to be definitely this board's thing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/812870/Sentinels_of_Freedom/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I must be a sucker for X-Com cross over games (or just a sucker period) because along with sentinels of freedom, I saw that Fort Triumph had FINALLY come out of EA (after two years), and here is a quick review:

The premise is X-Com meets Dungeons and Dragons and Fire Emblem

https://store.steampowered.com/app/612570/Fort_Triumph/

God, this game is not just tongue in cheek, it's several tongues in cheek. I'm only a couple battles in, but here's some thoughts.

The first battle was surprisingly difficult, you only have three heroes (a Paladin, a Rogue, and a Sorceress), and you have to take down about 2-3x that number of Goblins. After that, I freed the fourth character to join my party. The game is really like X-Com, in that it's very grid focused and tactical concerns will be key (for example, a goblin was hiding behind a tree, my Sorceress used a whirlwind to knockdown the tree on said goblin). melee characters can also kick someone a couple squares (which is useful for freeing up your casters, or to kick someone into an obstacle for damage and stuns)

Characters with Ranged attacks can overwatch like X-Com, while Melee Characters can brace, and take half damage from attacks. Since you have 3 AP, and most attacks take two AP, you can move a small distance and hit someone. Flanking is important. Apparently we will be recruiting a whole bunch of characters (and yes, the Fire Emblem part is one of the options is PERMADEATH, meaning if your characters die in battle, they die for good. Which could really suck if they've levelled up several times (more stats, more abilities etcetera) But yeah, the game doesn't take it self too seriously. For winning one of the early battles, we get a chest full of beets, which we can eat for XP, or turn into money.. (yes.. BEETCOINS!) . That was ALMOST a pun too far for me.

Almost.

If you're into a fun turnbased game that doesn't take itself seriously (for example, an evil force is plotting a goblin invasion in a tavern, and starts cackling evilly, only to be shushed and pointed to the sign that says "No evil cackling after midnight"), you could do a LOT worse than this.

currently PC only, but planned releases for Switch, PS4 and Xbox 1