Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

please watch rebellion gaia's second trailer

oh god dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I can see both sides but personally I'm glad to know that this poo poo exists out there, never would've figured video games as a source of misinformation and dangerous bullshit but now yet another thing to watch out for

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I really want to play that Ramp game. Even though 5 bucks is cheap it's kinda expensive for a self-described 'toy' rather than a full game.

Picked up Vomitoreum, interesting game so far. It's a bit basic but I like the art and exploration elements so far. Gunplay... I've never been crazy for the boomer shooter formula but it's not bad.

New game:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1303950/Toodee_and_Topdee/

Toodee and Topdee is a puzzle platformer where you move between perspectives which looks at least interesting.

quote:

A cosmic turbulence caused the 2D Platformer and the Top-Down Puzzler dimensions to merge! Switch between Toodee and Topdee and their unique perspectives to overcome hard-as-nails challenges, solve mind-melting puzzles and defeat huge bosses. Oh, and there's a co-op mode!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1549550/Haven_Park/

Haven Park is one of those super chill and relaxing games that have been popular recently, explore a tiny world and run a summer camp kind of thing.

quote:

Be Flint, who is doing his best to keep his grandma's park up and running and make it a place for the campers to enjoy. Learn the camper's wishes and build whatever their hearts desire to attract even more quirky characters and look forward to whimsical conversations and quests. Get to know the campers and and learn more about the old stories surrounding the forest. Did someone mention a lost treasure?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1500980/Doomsday_Vault/

Doomsday Vault is coming to steam from Apple Arcade. Rescue seeds from vaults on a ruined earth and grow them.

quote:

Rescue Earth’s precious plant life. In your robotic suit navigate a flooded city, break into an underground lair, explore ancient pyramids. Collect seeds and return them to the safety of the Vault. Nurture seeds to grow new sustainable crops. Unlock additional tools and items to customise your suit.

Locate and collect Earth’s precious remaining plant life. Rescue the seeds from these critical species and return them to the safety of the Vault. Find nutrients to nurture your seeds and grow a sustainable crop in your Vault. Progress through levels and grow crops to unlock additional tools and customise your robotic suit.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1422420/Dodgeball_Academia/

quote:

Dodgeball Academia is a sports RPG game featuring rookie dodgeball student, Otto. Join Otto and an eclectic cast of characters as they train to dominate on and off the courts of the academia. In a world where dodgeball is life, you join Otto at the academy and train to become the ultimate dodgeball champion. Across eight episodes, you’ll forge friendships and create rivals, all in the name of developing the best dodgeball team.

Level up Otto and develop a dynamic team across a vast and customizable party progression system. All the while, explore the vast Dodgeball Academia and uncover the long hidden truths that reside within the very walls you live, learn, and dominate in.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

This game is actually pretty fun. Bizarrely addictive formula with the dodgeball minigame, RPG leveling and items, story and overworld map. It's very cute too and the presentation is solid so far. Gonna try to finish Fuga: Melodies of Steel before I dive into another RPG-style game but so far I want to play more.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/956140/Lifeslide/

Lifeslide looks like a game I could use every once in a while. Chill and relaxing, but also stimulating due to the flight mechanics and environments. This one's been on Apple Arcade for a while I believe but is now coming to Steam.

quote:

Embark on an atmospheric paper plane flight adventure through life and master a unique flight mechanic as you travel through an ever-changing landscape towards your destination.

Lifeslide is a vibrant world crafted with love but don't be fooled by the serene looks. Your journey can be as exhilarating as it can be relaxing. Each stage presents a new challenge - it takes smart choices and split-second decisions to reach further. Learning to fly well is key.

No narration, no texts. The story is implicitly told through the environment. Dive deep to find the meaning or simply enjoy an atmospheric experience - this is your journey and you decide what to make of it. Along the way, an original score that combines electronic, rock and orchestral elements will keep you company.

Play fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 6, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

readingatwork posted:

Dodgeball Academia is worth the price tag for the super expressive art style alone. The fact that it’s actually a pretty fun little game on top of that is a nice bonus.

:yeah: at least so far. Played a couple hours and didn't want to stop. There's not a ton there but what there is is good, the dodgeball minigame is good the RPG elements are good the story is good and the presentation is top notch. I do wish there were voice actors but I always wish that

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Death Trash is really good, at least what there is. It's got a super classic RPG feel, but with live combat. It's hard to explain why but it's just fun.

However I forgot it was in early access and was very disappointed that it seems like I came to the end, more or less, besides some small side missions. Gonna put it down until it's finished but they've got something going there.

priznat posted:

It’s pretty neat but it has some issues like not seeing enemies off screen and I hit a game breaking bug that wouldn’t let me progress past a story mission despite finishing all the sub tasks. Hopefully a patch cleans some stuff up!

Also with the Dodgeball Academia game the actual dodgeball itself is fun but I find all the walking around and dialogue (even skipping, which doesn’t really skip it) pretty boring. This is more of the Japanese game style and I bounce off those pretty hard because they do NOT respect your time.

A patch isn't goin to help you see enemies offscreen obviously, that's just one to live with. That bothered me more at the start but I feel like I've gotten used to it at this point, it's just another element of the gameplay that you need to be aware of. The further I got the less it bothered me, really that just annoyed me at the very start when I was super weak and could easily wander into getting killed. Bummer about the gamebreaking bug though. Can I ask which mission it isn't letting you finish?

Definitely with you on the dodgeball game. I like it but I can feel myself getting bored, I think I'm around level 15. Just had the day where you go into the forest for the first time, and I'm not sure how much more I'll play. It does try to move things along with the story, which helps, but I don't understand the logic behind having you battle a bunch of trash mobs to finish quests. I appreciate what they did with the game, the art is great and overall it's nicely polished, but certain decisions feel a bit off.

That being said looking it up people are saying it's a 10-15 hour game in total, so I must be at least halfway through so maybe I will try to get it done.

A new game as payment for all the words:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1184820/Poker_Quest/

Poker Quest is a turn-based roguelike that has exactly one unique aspect: the use of playing cards to power everything in the game, attack and defense and all equipment for both you and the enemy. Results in a different kind of strategy from most card-based roguelikes which makes it kind of fun. It's not so polished in terms of look but it is in early access. Has both roguelike (total permadeath) and roguelite (some persistent upgrades) modes

quote:

Poker Quest is a fantasy game where you battle through a world full of monsters, using a standard deck of playing cards (like the "Queen of Spades") to empower your items in combat. Bigger and better hands can trigger stronger abilities on your items.

Discover thousands of different items and hundreds of monsters. March forward through a huge variety of locations and events in a procedurally generated, high-fantasy world.

Choose one of many heroes. Each hero comes with a unique set of equipment and abilities, to encourage many different play styles.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The pathfinding and overall navigation is probably the most annoying thing about the game. The map is poo poo, the pathfinding tool doesn't take you to the metro if that would be faster which makes no sense, and no matter how well you plan things out there will be times when you are left just running for minutes on end occasionally fighting trash mobs if you're in a fighting area or just running endlessly if you aren't. I kinda get what they were going for, adding some realism, so that you never just magically transport from place to place, but it could also be looked at as a cynical attempt to make the game feel longer. I think I'm on the cusp of finishing the game and only now am I really starting to understand the map and how to get around most efficiently.

I still really like it for all the other reasons but that part I totally agree. Especially with the gamepad holding your stick one direction for minutes is not fun, I brought out my old gamepad for it so I wouldn't screw up the stick on my new one.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

readingatwork posted:

Why is nobody talking about how gay Dodheball Academia is? Seriously, I’m not sure straight people actually exist in this universe.

Honestly I didn't really notice. Not that I'd be likely to just bring it up unprompted anyways since I'm straight and I could see that being taken the wrong way.

I believe you though, I'm just clueless a lot of the time, but what makes you think that out of curiosity?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

It's like Hades if Hades was mediocre in every way instead of really good

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1569150/Glyph/

I was pretty skeptical when I first saw Glyph, it has a very plain and common look and generally looks a lot like a million other games in both aesthetic and gameplay. After playing however I am feeling much more charitable. They've just nailed the movement skills in this one, they are all interesting and fun to use, and must all be used in concert to truly do well. I love how much air control you get, and it is necessary because you will be pulling off some pretty complex maneuvers. It's broken up into little levels with collectibles like coins and relics which are used to unlock new areas, as well as different skins. It gets tricky fast!

quote:

Glyph’s gameplay combines breathtaking aerial maneuvers with tranquil exploration in a stunning 3D platforming experience. Add a mesmerizing original soundscape, and Glyph is lifting you up and whisking you away.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1457340/Vulgords_Tower/

Apparently created by a father-son team, Vulgord's Tower is a multiplayer board-game style thing. Not sure if it has AI to play against or not.

quote:

Welcome to Vulgord’s Tower! A fantasy adventure game of whimsy, woe, and wizardry! Your mission is simple. Storm the tower and defeat Vulgord (a wizard-turned-dragon by an unrelenting madness and an insatiable urge for power).

You will travel through four elemental realms rife with cruel beasts and bizarre encounters in pursuit of the tower keys. Punish your enemies with the help of the wizard’s spell. Amass an army, gain renown, and ride to victory. Your outcome is one of triumph or certain death!

Vulgord's Tower plays like a traditional board game fused with card-based RPG battle mechanics. The goal is to be the first to storm the tower to defeat Vulgord. To do this, you must survive through all four realms, acquire skills, and amass an army large enough to defeat Vulgord.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1538570/Patron/

Patron is a new building/management style game that looks pretty nice if that's your thing.

quote:

Patron builds upon the foundations laid out by the staples of the survival city builder genre and enhances the experience with a large research tree and by introducing intricate social dynamics into the game and the genre in general. Happiness, the standard simple feature of all such games, in the case of Patron is a complete gameplay system in its own right.

Patron starts off similarly to other games in the genre, but then veers off exploring social intricacies and what it means to truly run a society and not just a city filled with automatons.

Each individual citizen in the town has his needs, desires and issues troubling him or making him happy. Some citizens are more concerned with immigration, while others are more aggravated by tax-related issues. If the citizen’s view on the subject is in line with what the town government (YOU, the player) is doing, he’ll be happy. Works the other way around as well.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Lawn Mowing Simulator

it is what it sounds like

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1190000/Car_Mechanic_Simulator_2021/

Car Mechanic Simulator 2021 I guess is some kind of upgrade from a previous 2018 version. I like cars but this type of game isn't really my thing, I'm sure some people would like it though.

quote:

Car Mechanic Simulator 2021 is new production with a well-established player base. Start as a fresh owner of a car garage and work your way to a service empire. Get your hands dirty in a super-realistic simulation game that has incredibly realistic detail. Get ready to work on 4000+ unique parts and over 72 cars. Roll up your sleeves and immerse yourself in a crazy-real garage environment.

Expand your range of services by investing in a new work space and equipment. Repair, fix, test, paint, tune and rebuild cars. Pay a visit to a new Auction house and buy cars in various conditions. If you feel lucky you can give it a crack in the barn. Some of them might have hidden gems – if you can find them.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1030060/Seed_of_Life/

Seed of Life looks kind of janky and has no reviews yet. But I'm a bit curious about it.

quote:

Seed of Life is an action-adventure puzzle game that will take you to a beautiful yet toxic world where almost all life has disappeared. There's only one way to survive: help Cora find The Seed, an alien device capable of generating the essence of life, and save your planet from annihilation.

Find your way through a labyrinth like world full of mysteries, dangers and beauty. Search for capsules and learn special abilities. Face off against alien creatures and solve challenging puzzles.

Rusty posted:

Carrier Commander 2 is out, demo seemed cool and they added multiplayer and VR support as well. It has an neat art style that a few new MicroProse releases have.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1489630/Carrier_Command_2/

Played a bit of this yesterday. It's intriguing but I'm not quite sure about it. Maybe after I watch someone play it well and learn some things about it, I couldn't figure out how to do a bunch of things in what was still effectively the tutorial. In general it doesn't even come close to explaining enough, it has a demo of just telling you what to do next but not actually telling you how anything works. Couldn't figure what was the enemy island's command center or how to set off the virus bombs in them.

I like the gameplay of you moving about the bridge attending to different systems, moving the boat and firing weapons and surveilling the enemy and launching unites and directly controlling those units. So I'll try to come back to this one sometime but the tutorial is just not very helpful to actually learn everything you need to know. It's also very time-consuming, I feel like it needs a fast forward button for when you are just waiting for your carrier or your units to get someplace.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ZombyDog posted:

I never played the original Carrier Command, but I still have fond memories of Hostile Waters - Antaeus Rising which was billed as the Carrier Command spiritual successor. Carrier Command 2 does have a tutorial of sorts but doesn't ease you into the various game concepts. One of the first tasks is to capture your first Island, and it'll get you to deploy a seal with virus bombs and if you just follow the tutorial to the letter you'll lose that seal to an island patrol and scupper your ability to progress and have to start the campaign over again.
[edit]
Actually I'm wrong, you have 4 additional vehicle hulls available in your warehouse but the game doesn't tell you this.

I launched all the seals, destroyed the enemy patrols with the ship's gun and the seal hulls that had actual weapons, and had the seal with the virus bombs right next to the bigass invulnerable building with the satellite dish which I ASSUMED was the enemy command center. Nothing happened and I had no idea what to do next. I think I actually managed to detonate the virus bombs right next to that building but they didn't do poo poo. There was no explanation of which thing was the command center, how to deploy the virus bombs, etc. And the thought of starting over completely was really unattractive since it took like at least thirty to forty five minutes to get to that point.

I THINK there's a decent and interesting game somewhere under there but they need to do a better job with that tutorial

Philthy posted:

Can't speak to this game, but the original from decades ago it was meant to be very simplistic to control everything, and it did have a fast forward button. The game would ultimately play itself, but you could directly control any of the pieces in first person and tell the ship where to go. Sort of a god game merged into a sim. Was cool.

Maybe this one has fast forward too but if it does I wasn't able to find it.

New games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1125390/Atrio_The_Dark_Wild/

Atrio: The Dark Wild is a strategy survival crafting game where I guess you use captured animals to help your automation or something

quote:

Survival meets Automation. Capture creatures and add them to your assembly line. Can you survive long enough to turn the lights back on?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1308880/FORECLOSED/

I feel like FORECLOSED is either going to be amazing or absolute garbage, no in-between.

quote:

FORECLOSED is a narrative-driven action-adventure set in a Cyberpunk world filled with action, suspense, and experimental augmentations. Follow the story of Evan Kapnos in this sleek comic book styled game as he unravels the conspiracy behind his identity foreclosure. Who is responsible and why?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1107750/Faraday_Protocol/

Faraday Protocol is a 3D first person puzzle game where you use a special gun to interact with puzzle objects throughout a mysterious structure.

quote:

“Endothermic organic hydration complete. Coordinates reached”. As you deploy from your spaceship, you find yourself in a mysterious place. Your name is Raug Zeekon, from planet Cunor. Your motto: “Explore, Exploit, Expose”. Solve complicated puzzles and discover the hidden secrets of Opis.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1272960/Later_Daters_Part_2/

Ever wanted to date old people? Well, now you can... ya freak. Later Daters Part 2. I think this is actually a full DLC to a base game but it was too funny to skip.

quote:

Something is brewing at Ye OLDE… is the happy family of friends you’ve made headed for splitsville? It’s up to you to keep everyone together or bring on the drama. Whatever you choose, you’re in for a helluva ride.

Includes Episodes 4-7!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1074070/Dust_to_the_End/

Dust to the End is a post-apocalyptic RPG with a highly economic bent and occasional turn-based battles. Most of the game is learning about the wasteland and using that knowledge to survive, make money and gain power.

quote:

Nuclear war ended human civilization, but it could never uproot the evil within our hearts. Fight, trade, negotiate, raid– do whatever it takes to survive in the wasteland. You will have to be as clever as ruthless to thrive in a broken world, torn by war, cruelty, hunger and slavery.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

priznat posted:

I’m finally trying Hades because it is on Xbox game pass and it is really fun, although I don’t know if it is a -like or -lite :haw:

Gorgeous presentation though. I turned on the god mode that increases damage resistance as you die because I’m not good.

The difference between -like and -lite is just, to my understanding, that -lites have some form of permanent progression, usually upgrades you can unlock after each run that makes proceeding runs more likely to succeed. -likes on the other hand, don't have that feature so every run you start is the same, you never get innately more powerful.

That being said use either one and people will know what you're talking about, and many games are kind of a mix like Enter The Gungeon for example your character doesn't get any stronger but you unlock better guns which gives you an advantage within the runs.

Anyways, new game:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1466640/Road_96/

Road 96 is a procgen road-trip-in-an-authoritarian-country simulator with I assume a bunch of separate vignettes that you can end up receiving over the course of your trip. I assume if you are replaying a lot you'll see the same ones multiple times, although you can also make choices within the vignettes which could keep things fresh.

quote:

Summer 1996, Today is the day!

You hit the road. Adventure. Freedom. Escape. Run. Flee the Regime. Try to survive. On this risky road trip to the border, you’ll meet incredible characters, and discover their intertwined stories and secrets in an ever-evolving adventure.
But every mile opens up a choice to make. Your decisions will change your adventure, change the people you meet, maybe even change the world.

There are thousands of roads across the authoritarian nation of Petria. Which one will you take?

Road 96 is a crazy, beautiful road-trip. The discovery of exciting places, and unusual people on your own personal journey to freedom. An ever-evolving story-driven adventure inspired by Tarantino, The Coen Brothers, and Bong Joon-ho. Made by the award-winning creators of Valiant Hearts and Memories Retold. Announced as part of the OMEN Presents initiative from HP Inc.

Moments of action, exploration, contemplative melancholy, human encounters and wacky situations. Set against a backdrop of authoritarian rule and oppression.

A stunning visual style, a soundtrack filled with 90s hits, and a thousand routes through the game combine so each player can create their own unique stories on Road 96.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

Yeah, it has a persistent map that you'll be constantly running back and forth to do sidequests.

That being said farming XP isn't super advantageous I don't think, you get a lot more XP for finishing quests and sidequests and the game seems designed to not encourage grinding. You can farm components and stuff in certain areas if you want but you can beat the game just fine without any grinding/farming at all.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Donnerberg posted:

My first impression of Road 96 is positive. It channels the early parts of The Man in the High Castle where the protags are on the road hiding from the regime, and there's a touch of Stranger Things. Teens on adventure with cool music in an alternate reality dystopia.
Edit: Add Tales from the Borderlands to the mix too. It's all over the place tonally, but it works as part of a random encounters road trip.

Each playthrough is an episode, and there seems to be 6 or 7 episodes worth before it'll do a hard reset. I guess the whole thing will be about 10 hours. Each episode picks up where the vignettes left off in the previous episode, so the overall narrative progresses as you go through new protags. Can't say how much branching content there's based on choices yet.

The movement is stiff, though it doesn't matter much. It plays like a Telltale game in first person with emphasis on dialogue and minigames.

Yeah I actually played this last night, meant to play some other stuff but ended up doing three full runs. I was so enthralled by the story and the characters and the setting and the choices and just the general feel of everything.

It's also simply unlike anything else I've ever played, I'm a sucker for originality and this one is highly original in quite a few ways.

Honestly, I thought there was a pretty good change it was gonna suck. But I am super impressed by what they've made here.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah I am eager to try this one. Beautiful and LOOKS at least to be fun.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

according to a steam review, this game is not a wannabe hollow knight or ori clone, which to me is refreshing to hear

According to me, it is a very beautiful game. Certain elements of the animations bothers me a bit, it's not always very fluid and natural-feeling, Ori definitely felt better in terms of control. But the backdrops and general artwork is fantastic and the levels are decently interesting. Fast travel would be pretty nice, it doesn't tell you how to get places so you just gotta run around and look for new ways to reach an exit for an area which is kind of annoying if you've already been through that area a lot. And every time you've gotta go through the whole thing even if you're just passing through, which I find a bit annoying.

Story is kind of interesting at least, and the part at the beginning where you could play with the first little dude and his sister was interesting, so I'm looking forward to unlocking the other two ... creatures, whatever they are since controlling multiple guys at once or switching between them is going to be a huge part of the game and the puzzles and the traversal.

New games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1063980/Hell_Architect/

Hell Architect is what it sounds like, build out hell to torture souls more efficiently. Has a kind of Newgrounds-esque art style that I don't love but it could still be amusing.

quote:

Hell Architect is a game about building and managing your own hell. You take on a role of a hell manager and are tasked with developing the underworld in a way that would make Lucifer himself fall off his chair.

Create a hell of your dreams - will it have the infamous 9 levels, or will you create your own chaos, the way you see fit?
You begin with some basic buildings, like power stations (yup, they need those in hell, too!) and canteens, work your way through shrines and toilets and finish off with some intricate torture contraptions.

You can treat the sinners sent to your humble abode to different, fun (or not) sources of suffering - be it by punishing them for disobedience or just doing it for fun. Your hell, your choices.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/724680/Cosmos_Quickstop/

Cosmo's Quickstop looks like a panic-inducing time management game about an alien running a space truck stop.

quote:

Cosmo’s Quickstop simulates the fast-paced thrill of managing a gas station… IN SPACE! Upgrade your services, please alien customers, and complete your daily chores through simple minigames that add up to a hilariously frantic experience with solo or couch co-op play.

As the newest employee of Cosmo’s Quickstop, it’s your job to provide stellar customer service to the strangest creatures in the galaxy. From pumping gas to cleaning the glorp room, every wacky, time-based minigame presents a distinct and frantic challenge to keep customers happy. Your skills in multitasking will be your keys to success!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/986310/Recompile/

Recompile is a very interesting-looking so-called '3d metroidvania' where you are a rogue program traversing the mainframe, fighting enemies, hacking, etc.

quote:

This atmospheric, Metroidvania hacking adventure lets you take control of a semi-sapient program struggling against deletion. In the sprawling 3D world of a Mainframe, Recompile features intense combat, tight 3D platforming, super-powered abilities and an environmental logic-based hacking mechanic.

Witness the birth of sapient AI in this sprawling atmospheric hacking adventure. Combining Metroidvania progression with non-linear exploration and gameplay. Recompile challenges players to explore, fight, hack, and survive. Discover the many secrets beneath ancient digital landscape and prepare for system-wide reconfiguration.

The game’s entire narrative takes place within 1 second of real time.

Delve into the ancient, sprawling ruins of the Mainframe and discover a range of traversal abilities to help you on your journey towards attaining true sapience. The game has multiple endings based on the players actions; you can repair systems, restore lost data, hack or destroy enemies, all whilst uncovering the truth about the Hypervisor and the original purpose of the Mainframe.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1165450/OCO/

OCO is a weird, minimalist, circular, one-touch platformer that looks pretty unique. Also has a level editor which could be interesting.

quote:

Immerse yourself in the minimalist audio-visual platforming world of OCO. Solve fast-paced platforming puzzles, create and share your own designs, join the OCO community, and compete to top the global leaderboards.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1346010/RiMS_Racing/

RiMS Racing is a motorcycle racing game that I had no idea was coming out. No clue if it's good but it looks pretty decent anyways and bills itself as more of a simulator. Has DLCs at launch which I don't love but whatever. Kinda has xbox 360 style graphics.

quote:

The first motorbike simulation that combines a realistic racing challenge with engineering and mechanics! Ride the world's most powerful motorbikes and optimise their performance by swapping out parts and analysing data in real time.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1524020/Escape_from_Terror_City/

You'll probably know if Escape from Terror City is for you just by looking at, weird short retro shooter from a Chinese developer it looks like.

quote:

3D Run'n'Gun Arcade-Style Action! Fight the Mechanized Forces of the Argus Empire and Escape from Terror City!

Also got a question for you guys. Would you rather I keep doing timg or would it be better to have a full picture of the game that stretches across the entire post window?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/989790/The_Vale_Shadow_of_the_Crown/

I played The Vale quite a lot yesterday, and it's a game with a very interesting premise. Basically, it is a game intended to be played by the blind (although not just them, it works fine for everyone as long as you can use headphones) where you play a blind woman. The entire thing takes place with no visual graphics, it is all sound. The main gameplay elements so far seem to be navigating small areas by sound, doing little quests, and combat/hunting, which are very similar. It's really uncanny how easy it gets to navigate an area just based on sound, and combat involves listening for your opponents and using your shield to block and sword to attack based on if they are to your right, directly in front of you, or to your left. It's not very hard so far, but the concept is just so juicy and it's genuinely fun to play a video game with your eyes closed. Apparently there are also some other features that I haven't discovered yet.

A game like this it's pretty crucial to have good voice acting and a good story. Not sure about the story but the audio work is fantastic, voice acting and effects.

quote:

CLOSE YOUR EYES. BECOME A WARRIOR: Feel your enemy’s rasping breath; a foot shifts on swampy ground; the crack of steel on wooden shield. The Vale is an audio based action adventure that sets out to breathe new life into medieval combat and fantasy narrative.

As your elder brother takes his place on the throne, you are made warden of a small castle on the outskirts of the kingdom. Blind from birth and sheltered for much of your childhood, you welcome your exile as a chance for a little adventure.

En route to the castle, your convoy is attacked by a huge invading army. You find yourself alone in hostile lands where you must scrape together supplies and seek out allies in hopes of surviving the long, dangerous journey home.

The path home follows a dark and winding valley known simply as “The Vale”. It shrouds the land’s darkest secrets including startling truths about your family’s past.

Also played Recompile and OCO a bit. OCO is kind of neat, a circular platformer that is more like a puzzle game where you try to 'solve' it as quickly as possible and with as few button presses (jumps) as possible. That makes it sound easy but it is anything but. It's well designed and users being able to design puzzles is a great feature.

I need to play Recompile a bit more to make an opinion. The setting, look and story is neat. The platforming is a bit strange, sometimes it's hard to tell if something is there for you to jump on it or not, or not clear exactly what everything does. It can be easy to miss a jump as well due to not having a lot of useful reference to the scale of your surroundings. The combat does not feel great so far. But I'm still interested enough to want to play more.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1140170/Arietta_of_Spirits/

Arietta of Spirits is a cute little pixel adventure with a story that was more interesting than I expected. Doesn't seem very challenging, at least so far, but it's cute and I like it. Might be good for kids too.

quote:

Arietta of Spirits is a story-driven action-adventure game, following Arietta on her journey to unveil the mysteries of the Spirit Realm. Immerse yourself in a story filled with emotion and surprising turns.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/949200/Ambition_A_Minuet_in_Power/

Ambition is a visual novel/RPG/simulation set in 18th century Paris.

quote:

18th century Paris - a city of love, lies and revolution. You are a woman of fashion trying to survive the political turmoil. Date a cast of unforgettable characters. Amass the wealth and respect you deserve. Engage in gossip that can alter the course of history, or lead you to the guillotine.

Also Sunshine Heavy Industries got a full release, very easy but still enjoyable puzzle game where you make spaceships.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Aliens: Fireteam Elite came out. That is all

Definitely getting Hoa, and kind of curious about Ki11er Clutter too never really played a game exactly like that

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Well I played Hoa, and beat it one sitting. Time well spent, I enjoyed it a lot, but it's not a long game by any means. Or a particularly challenging one. Absolutely gorgeous though, very polished and just beautiful from start to finish. Judging by the end credits it was also made primarily in Vietnam which is also cool for me as I lived there for a couple years in my 20s.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1634150/Behind_the_Frame_The_Finest_Scenery/

Behind the Frame: The Finest Scenery (what a name) is a casual interactive fiction game with a lot of story and relaxed gameplay.

quote:

Guide brush strokes and solve a variety of puzzles to help an aspiring artist complete her masterpiece amid her brusque neighbor’s gaze and his pesky cat. As her painting starts to take shape, uncover an emotional tale of chance and artistry revealed behind unrelated yet familiar moments.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/930280/Murder_Mystery_Machine/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256840198/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1624463793

Murder Mystery Machine is an investigative point and click mystery game that looks kind of interesting.

quote:

Join the District Crime Agency in this isometric, modern noir deduction thriller. Explore crime scenes in complex dioramas, organize your evidence effectively, and blur the lines between right and wrong to present your case. Do you have what it takes to be a real detective?

On her first day at the DCA, fresh-faced rookie Cassandra Clarke, is teamed with a reluctant burnt-out detective, Nate Huston, to investigate the murder of a prominent politician. While all evidence points to a botched robbery, it soon entwines the two detectives into a complex, interconnected series of crimes that are anything but an open-and-shut case.

Also it looks like Ultimate ADOM: Caverns of Chaos was fully released on steam

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1675620/Last_Light/

Last Light is a Japanese (I believe) 3/4 view horror/mystery game with a kind of nice look

quote:

En route to a scare game, Lumi realizes that she is suddenly alone. Then, appears the old abandoned hospital... Explore throughout the tragedy-stricken hospital. Search for the student IDs of Lumi's classmates. And find out what really happened. Maybe all you need is the courage to "flee?"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1574250/SPOOKWARE/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256846874/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1628976776

SPOOKWARE is a strange looking little game with tons of microgames and some sort of overarching plot. It has skeletons, which I think we can all agree is pretty badass. Seems to be getting solid reviews and I have to admit to being a little interested. It kind of looks slightly familiar, maybe someone already put this in this thread or another one not sure.

quote:

Join the three skelebros -Lefti, Midi, and Righti- on a grand road trip through the cutesy world of the dead. After realizing they wasted their lives watching horror movies, they decide to embark on a big adventure.

Spanning across 4 episodes released separately, each containing 3 chapters with their own area, microgames, mechanics, and story!

Meet all sorts of boney folk and get into heaps of trouble. Before you know it, you'll be well on your way to solving a murder mystery on a cruise ship or starting a high school band to skip out on class.

Challenge yourself with a wide collection of blazing-fast microgames themed around horror tropes. Featuring over a hundred microgames you're sure to get shaken to your bones! Each game takes only a few seconds, so you'll have to use your wits to survive the onslaught of wildly different blood-curling games. From frantically decapitating some poor guy's head to filing your taxes, the horror never ends!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I highly, highly recommend Behind the Frame. It's a reasonably simple point-and-click adventure; some of the puzzles are solved by remembering and painting objects you've seen. The music is wistful and beautiful, the animations are prime, and the plot pays off. I spent an hour and a half on it, and it was a peaceful, relaxed, hour and a half. It's a lovely game.

Agreed. It is so insanely good-looking. Doesn't really look exactly like any other video game. I will warn interested parties that it is very short. For me that is completely made up for by its good qualities.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/879000/Comanche/

Comanche is in early access, currently has mixed reviews so clearly some things to fix but it looks interesting.

quote:

Comanche is a modern helicopter shooter set in an alternative future. Fight in the evolving singleplayer campaign, master your skills in Conflicts missions, or compete with other players in the explosive team-based multiplayer modes.

Also that new Myst remaster is out.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1614890/Baldo_The_Guardian_Owls/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256831739/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1623170286

Baldo: The Guardian Owls may share a name with a device that allows one to turn their balls into a substitute penis, but is actually a studio ghibli-looking anime RPG thing

quote:

The prophecy is coming true, a pure-heart child has been born. The no-heart creature sealed in the underworld by the wise owls is destined to rise again.

Journey through a magical land teeming with mysteries to unravel. Baldo: the Guardian Owls is full of challenging puzzles to solve and intricate dungeons to explore. Traverse this captivating open world as Baldo, and meet a host of quirky and unforgettable characters, as you struggle to decipher the cryptic prophecy, and thwart destiny.

From delightful whimsy to thrilling adventure, discover new towns and their distinctive inhabitants, fight ferocious foes, locate hidden temples, and collect objects both magical and mundane to obtain powerful new weapons, or to help unveil the myriad secrets of this strange land.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1033950/Lamentum/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256837681/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1623086276

I think I might've played the demo of Lamentum at some point. Wasn't crazy impressed then but I like the look and perhaps the full game is improved and worth it.

quote:

Lamentum is a pixel art survival horror game, set in New England in the mid-nineteenth century.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

It was a whole thing in GBS for a while, google ron paul balldo

.random posted:

Finally got around to playing the demo of Greak and I am sad. It looked exactly like my jam. I’m glad they made a demo for it at least.

What did you not like about it? I played it a bit and mostly liked it. But when it came time to search some huge level for a new exit that I didn't see on my first trip through that huge level I put it down and was kinda like nah. Didn't like the choppy animation or the general feel of the combat either.

One I missed that I've since played and is actually kind of neat with its old school graphics but more new school gameplay:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1515470/Calturin/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256833112/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1619990722

quote:

Calturin is a Bullet Hell Boss Rush game where you are resurrected by a necromancer who now holds you in his power. Promised your freedom if you do his bidding, you must traverse the Gauntlet of Portals to unknown lands and face deadly beings.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

.random posted:

The feel of combat was OKAY but not great. I get the idea of having frames after attacks where you’re vulnerable/can’t act, but something felt not that good about the way it was done?

Having to drag your companion everywhere was annoying - much of the time it was move one character. Then move the other... if you move them both, one grabs a ledge and then doesn’t make it up, and you have to move them separately anyway, probably more painfully than if you would have just moved them one by one. Them poorly fighting on their own as enemies respawn was annoying. And the multi-character inventory management seemed like it was going to only get more annoying over time. As silly as it sounds, when I had to drop arrows one by one for the sword guy to pick up to free up one of the three slots in my spell girl’s inventory, I kind of decided it was not a game for me.

I liked the looks and the animation was fine for me, though :shobon:

I think my issue with the animation is tied into those vulnerability frames, it just felt plodding moving from one thing to another, like landing from a jump and launching an attack or another jump, the timing felt weird.

In the full game you only get a short segment in the beginning where you can control two characters, then it goes back to one and you have to find your brother and sister so I didn't have much time with two and no time with all three characters. Even in the short time I noticed that the combat and traversal system with multiple characters, while kind of interesting for using the triggers for different commands, was more unwieldy than anything else.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1072640/Beat_Blast/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256845613/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1628445138

Beat Blast is a game with a unique concept where you create 'loops' which decide the actions that will happen on each beat, i.e. which attacks are launched on which beat and which direction or something like that

quote:

Create musical beats that kill. Beat Blast is a music maker, bullet hell, dungeon crawler, roguelite. Battle through dungeons and defeat big bosses. Collect weapons, passives and musical instruments!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1599880/Cats_in_Time/

Explore dioramas and solve puzzles to find cats in Cats in Time

quote:

Hello explorers!
My name is Professor Tim Edger, and I'm the inventor of the time machine and an avid cat lover! Sadly, I have a problem, and maybe YOU can help me.
You see, my beloved cats are missing. While playing in the lab, they've activated my time machine and ⚡ZAP ⚡, now they are lost in space and time! You have to travel from ancient Egypt, all the way to the streets of late 20. century New York, and even beyond the present - to future Tokyo.
Your goal is to find all the cats! Please be careful; these cats are really good at hiding.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1674170/Sprocket/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256844424/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1628003690

Sprocket is an early access game where you design tanks

quote:

Carefully balance mobility, firepower and armour in a dedicated tank designer. Then uncarefully put them to the test in a series of combat scenarios progressing through the ages of the tank. Here, your limit is what you can fit inside your hull and turret while still being able to move forwards.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1139280/The_Big_Con/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256834333/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1620821026

The Big Con is a 90s narrative adventure type thing

quote:

Hustle your way across ‘90s America as a runaway teen con artist. Choose how to make your scratch as you don disguises, pick pockets, and rip people off in this comedic crime-filled adventure. Experience the totally rad '90s in all its plaid and payphone glory!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1395760/Reshaping_Mars/

Pretty obvious what Reshaping Mars is, a little colony simulator on Mars

quote:

「Reshaping Mars」is a colony simulation game on Mars, you will start by gathering resources, storing food, accepting immigrants, and building a better colony together. Develop powerful technologies for Mars Reshaping, make Mars great agai..sorry, just great. Don't forget to make the residents happy.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Reshaping Mars looks a lot like Surviving Mars, which has been out since 2018 and, I think, even earlier on phones.

They look and sound similar but they are totally different games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1258220/Song_of_Iron/

Song of Iron is a game I've had my eye on for a while that touts its realistic look and engaging combat. Definitely gonna give this one a try.

quote:

Behind you lies a trail of broken helms, shattered shields. You hold the axe of a fallen foe. Worn and dented, it will suit it's purpose. What lies ahead is still a mystery, your goal is not. To save your people you must find the Great Temple of the Gods, but do not expect a warm welcome.

Prepare to be met by a world set against you. In Song of Iron, man, monster and nature itself will try to stop you. Fight through it all in this gritty adventure where combat is intense, visceral and dangerous. Use bow, axe and shield to fight back but take care, weapons can be lost, arrows will run out and shields will be broken. With the blood of your ancestors and valor regained along the way you can fight on!

Explore your ancient, and mysterious homeland as you journey through forests, into caves and climb mountains as you seek vengeance. Keep your eyes peeled, danger is all around you and when a fight is too big you may need to find a subtler way to pass foes.