Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The English release of Gundam Battle Operation 2 just happened last week!

Gundam Battle Operation 2 is a multiplayer online mech game on PS4. It's based on early Universal Century mechs. It is free to play with gacha mechanics to unlock suits. However, suits become available to buy with the in-game currency a couple months after their gacha release.

This game is fun! It reminds me of MechWarrior meets Battlefield. The suits feel very chunky in a good way. It takes time to reload after a bazooka shot, and even switching weapons has a short delay.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsDci7o9lcU

Gameplay - example round (no commentary):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAgfZRBMvxU

PSN: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0700-CUSA16114_00-GUNDAMBO20000000

If you log in before October ends, you get 10 free suits for the English launch of the game.

If this thread gets mildly popular I'll put more effort into a new player guide here in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
Is there any PVE in this or is it strictly PVP? I like robots but I'm terrible at fighting real people online.

Edit: VVVV thanks. Maybe I'll still give it a shot sometime. If it's not for me, there's aways Titanfall 2.

Hellburger99 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 14, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hellburger99 posted:

Is there any PVE in this or is it strictly PVP? I like robots but I'm terrible at fighting real people online.

There's a couple training missions and a practice mode with rudimentary AI, but otherwise it's pure PVP at the moment

Also I might have to type up an effortpost about the game to explain more about it's system and mechanics

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Been playing quite a bit of this lately. I'm not normally much of a shooter fan, but they do an excellent job of making the MS feel heavy like actual giant robots would.

I'm a big fan of the Level 4 Armored GM. With the Level 3 Modified Machine Gun it's a real powerhouse that can consistently put out a ton of damage.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am having fun, and I appreciate that you don't die in one or two hits. I prefer competitive games that do not have an absurdly short time to kill. This game is really complex though and has a steep learning curve.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I made a clan called Gravity with the tag [GVT] if anyone wants to join. I tried all sorts of SA variant tags, but everything was taken.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

how many suits are in this game? Also how does it compare to versus?

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
There are a good number, though they're all OYW or 0083 era stuff. There's a fan wiki which lists all of them broken up by the games RPS type scheme (Raid, Support, and General). https://gbo2.fandom.com/wiki/General_MS

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
It’s a much slower, more stately game than Gundam Versus. Matches are 8 minutes long, with points mostly coming from destroying enemy team suits. High score wins in the end.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Started playing last night, and got a prototype Gelgoog from the supply that I fell in love with immediately.

I will admit I mildly wish the game was more akin to Zeonic Front just because the simple pleasure of evading behind an enemy and planting a heat hawk directly into it's back is one that still hasn't really been replicated since.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does anyone else get really long queue times for quick match? This is about my only real complaint with the game.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Same, wait times for a match are too long not even counting the guys that take forever to hit the ready button.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I wasn't having much trouble forming lobbies in quick matches over the weekend. The most annoying thing was people not readying up for 2 minutes and getting booted. I played a number of ranked matches last evening without issue. Perhaps the quick playlist is underpopulated on weeknights?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Probably true! Hopefully people stick with this game, cause it is legit fun to play. That's always my concern with more niche competitive games, is that the population drops off super quickly and then the game dies a slow death and shut downs.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
I've never really had a problem with ranked matches in terms of waits, but ya people not readying up is a pain.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
A few tips I found elsewhere on the internet:

• Space-only MS and Ground-only MS get thruster capacity bonuses compared to generalist MS on their respective maps
  • The third week of each month usually has a special step-up gacha pull available where you can do a 10-pull for only 15 tokens
  • There's an $8 "starter pack" of 31 tokens + the Level 2 Gundam. I bought this to support the game (and because the other token packs feel like a ripoff).
  • Bazooka + melee combo seems to be a favored tactic since the launch of the game. Some newer suits like the Armored GM have the "reactive armor" ability that helps avoid staggers on bazooka splash damage.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Bazooka Melee combo makes sense. I remember getting owned hard last night by a Dom variant with a bazooka and a giant gently caress-off heat axe.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I've been having a lot of success with forward melee into tackle, after which time your melee cooldown is over. Back melee for the knockdown, back off and shoot with rifle while they are on the ground.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I have been playing this for the last couple of weeks, I greatly enjoyed the bf2 style original and this is more of the same, but on smaller maps and way fewer people (original was PC 25v25 iirc)

A few very important tips:

Teamwork is GOD. The stun mechanics make it so. Don't go for a knockdown if you and a teammate are stunning. If you chain them they'll not get invincibility unless you knock them down (over in space)

Most MS have either natural combos or best DPS cycles. With bazookas and such aim at the ground/legs, you can still get a splash damage stun sometimes even if you miss the direct hit. In space you can do this with walls people hide behind, but bazookas in space are much harder in general. Tackle to melee is a pretty universal combo. Some suits like the Pezun Dwadge or some Doms can tackle to bazooka to melee. Sometimes this can work with grenades or chest explosives depending on switch speed of individual weapons. You can usually start out with a high reload time weapon then switch through the rest. Weapons continue reloading even if they're not equipped, but not if you're out of the suit.

The suit trinity gets more and more important the higher you go in rank. Generals beat raids beat supports. However since a lot of well played supports can stunlock from a distance in practice this means in a 5 or 6 man game you'll have a majority of general suits with 1 or 2 supports and maaaaybe a raid.

Much like in the series, beams>bullets. This goes double for supports who have a typically easier time landing hits with beams than grenades.

Capturing points barely matters. You get 50 points for one, whereas destroying a mobile suit nets you hundreds. They're ONLY for moving the fight once you've cleared a whole area. Do not chase points, it's a waste of time and real points that actually count. Stick with your team. Don't chase almost dead dudes either, you'll usually get stunlocked and wrecked for doing so. Exception is space with very fast suits.

Finally, the most important point for last: Don't loving die. Run the hell away and repair. On small maps, to your base to double repair speed. Dying is how you give the enemy points. Repairing takes a long time and deprives teammates of your support sure, but is still preferable 99 percent of the time. It doesn't matter if you all run and get pushed back to your spawn, you can easily win the game there so long as you get more kills. I'm in C ranks where people still don't understand this paragraph.

EffEmmEll on PSN. Add me if y'all wanna play rated.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

OxMan posted:

I have been playing this for the last couple of weeks, I greatly enjoyed the bf2 style original and this is more of the same, but on smaller maps and way fewer people (original was PC 25v25 iirc)

A few very important tips:

Teamwork is GOD. The stun mechanics make it so. Don't go for a knockdown if you and a teammate are stunning. If you chain them they'll not get invincibility unless you knock them down (over in space)

Most MS have either natural combos or best DPS cycles. With bazookas and such aim at the ground/legs, you can still get a splash damage stun sometimes even if you miss the direct hit. In space you can do this with walls people hide behind, but bazookas in space are much harder in general. Tackle to melee is a pretty universal combo. Some suits like the Pezun Dwadge or some Doms can tackle to bazooka to melee. Sometimes this can work with grenades or chest explosives depending on switch speed of individual weapons. You can usually start out with a high reload time weapon then switch through the rest. Weapons continue reloading even if they're not equipped, but not if you're out of the suit.

The suit trinity gets more and more important the higher you go in rank. Generals beat raids beat supports. However since a lot of well played supports can stunlock from a distance in practice this means in a 5 or 6 man game you'll have a majority of general suits with 1 or 2 supports and maaaaybe a raid.

Much like in the series, beams>bullets. This goes double for supports who have a typically easier time landing hits with beams than grenades.

Capturing points barely matters. You get 50 points for one, whereas destroying a mobile suit nets you hundreds. They're ONLY for moving the fight once you've cleared a whole area. Do not chase points, it's a waste of time and real points that actually count. Stick with your team. Don't chase almost dead dudes either, you'll usually get stunlocked and wrecked for doing so. Exception is space with very fast suits.

Finally, the most important point for last: Don't loving die. Run the hell away and repair. On small maps, to your base to double repair speed. Dying is how you give the enemy points. Repairing takes a long time and deprives teammates of your support sure, but is still preferable 99 percent of the time. It doesn't matter if you all run and get pushed back to your spawn, you can easily win the game there so long as you get more kills. I'm in C ranks where people still don't understand this paragraph.

EffEmmEll on PSN. Add me if y'all wanna play rated.

I think you're getting that mixed up with Mobile Suit Gundam Online which is something completely different(and is still active), this one is a sequel to a PS3 game that played very similarly

Also some pretty good advice overall, indeed in a six man team the ideal team layout is usually 3 Generals, 2 Supports, and 1 Raid(with 5v5 it's basically the same ratio just with only 1 of both Support and Raid)

Also point costs for Suits is fairly important, if you're in a 400 cost match you'll generally not want to go lower than 350 for example, and this generally applies to all cost levels(except 200, while there are 100 and 150 cost units in the game, they are a complete trap to actually use, they basically only exist so that some 200 through 300 cost suits can be a higher level than they'd normally be*), including Cost Unlimited matches

Lastly in terms of what suits will eventually be in the game, while everything so far has been pre-Zeta in terms of development, the game itself is set after Char's Counterattack(with the whole premise that you're playing as members of a PMC being the excuse for why this game doesn't have faction restrictions like the first game did), the beta for the game included the GM III as a unit, and while the highest cost units in the game at the moment are at 550, the stats section shows that costs will eventually get as high as 700, so we'll probably be seeing stuff from Zeta Gundam and onward eventually(especially since they've already gone through a lot of the OYW era stuff by this point, though oddly enough they still haven't added the Gogg, it's the only Mobile Suit from the original series not to have shown up yet)

*which leads to certain suits like the GM Cannon to be surprisingly strong at 300, cause it's a level 4 suit at that cost and thus can equip a level 4 machine gun and just plain shred General suits

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

drrockso20 posted:

I think you're getting that mixed up with Mobile Suit Gundam Online which is something completely different(and is still active), this one is a sequel to a PS3 game that played very similarly

Also point costs for Suits is fairly important

*which leads to certain suits like the GM Cannon to be surprisingly strong at 300, cause it's a level 4 suit at that cost and thus can equip a level 4 machine gun and just plain shred General suits

Ah yeah, never played the ps3 one so I guess it was online but goddamn it had the exact same feel and gameplay down to the same combos. Color me not surprised they recycled the feel.

Also speaking of point values Custom Gouf at 350 shreds everything and gives zero fucks about the trinity.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
The regular Gouf is devastating in a 250 match due to it's 3 hit melee combo.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Lots of talk about bazookas and beams, but let me stick up for the humble machine gun. If used effectively it can output a significant amount of damage much more constantly than other weapon types. When combined with parts that increase the size of the auto-aim ring you can focus on dodging and placement while ticking away one to two hundred damage every half second.

The constant flow of damage also has a wonderful psychological pressure effect on the opponent since they're getting red damage warnings the entire time and they won't necessarily be able to predict when the stun will trigger making it harder for them to focus on actually fighting back. With the Armored GM, I can pretty consistently keep fire on an enemy the entire clip while still being mobile enough to make it difficult for them to lay a hit back on me.

In essence the big advantage of machine guns is trading immediate damage for overall dps, since you rarely have to worry about missing compared to a beam or a bazooka which is a bit more dicey.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Valhawk posted:

Lots of talk about bazookas and beams, but let me stick up for the humble machine gun. If used effectively it can output a significant amount of damage much more constantly than other weapon types. When combined with parts that increase the size of the auto-aim ring you can focus on dodging and placement while ticking away one to two hundred damage every half second.

The constant flow of damage also has a wonderful psychological pressure effect on the opponent since they're getting red damage warnings the entire time and they won't necessarily be able to predict when the stun will trigger making it harder for them to focus on actually fighting back. With the Armored GM, I can pretty consistently keep fire on an enemy the entire clip while still being mobile enough to make it difficult for them to lay a hit back on me.

In essence the big advantage of machine guns is trading immediate damage for overall dps, since you rarely have to worry about missing compared to a beam or a bazooka which is a bit more dicey.

Yeah Machine Guns can be pretty strong with the right suit, and even the weaker ones can be useful for keeping pressure on(I've gotten kills with vulcans more than a few times)

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

My only issue with machine guns is range. If you're in poo poo out damage range you're also all but guaranteed to be hit with big hits too. It's a bit more different with suits that can cancel their landing animations and have faster jumps as they can (and should) poo poo out their damage from above and while boosting as much as possible but a good player WILL stun them when they're out of energy. It's part of why the Gouf is so dominant, that gatling gun WILL stun the crap out of anything it fires at. Meanwhile a Pixie is all but worthless because it will never get close enough to do any damage to an experienced player unless they get cornered.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Valhawk posted:

Do you think the armored GM (I'm assuming it's the same one) currently in the recycle shop is worth the 50 tickets? It's admittedly tempting.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Oh Snapple! posted:

Do you think the armored GM (I'm assuming it's the same one) currently in the recycle shop is worth the 50 tickets? It's admittedly tempting.

I'm a big fan of it. It's probably one of my favorite mid-cost suits. Also, just check and make sure it's the Armored GM and not the Desert GM, as the latter is kind of a gimmick unit which requires hitting at mid-long range with a stunning shot and then quickly switching to a missile launcher.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Report: The G-Line Assault Armor is a loving monster.

Also... I noticed we din't have a clan. So... join the clan I am in. We are Red Haven (Tag: Rh) and doing very well frankly. Pretty sure no one is a CHUD, but I did just meet then a few days ago. I'm sure we can talk the owner in to making it an unofficial goon clan. I mean, if we're doing our own thing let's Goon this poo poo. But I feel like this one might not get much traction here.

Oh, and don't forget the hanger across from the rewards guy. I did not notice it for almost a week, but it is a passive upgrade for your suits. It's slow as hell (72 hours for 100 points) but it's pretty nice (about 1000 expansion points a month if you stay on to of it). Most suits are between 1000 - 1500 to max. Low cost suits are less. Don't waste hours on anything rank 150 or 100. Unless you feel really confident in that gimmick build.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Zushio posted:

Also... I noticed we din't have a clan. So... join the clan I am in. We are Red Haven (Tag: Rh) and doing very well frankly. Pretty sure no one is a CHUD, but I did just meet then a few days ago. I'm sure we can talk the owner in to making it an unofficial goon clan. I mean, if we're doing our own thing let's Goon this poo poo. But I feel like this one might not get much traction here.

Oh, and don't forget the hanger across from the rewards guy. I did not notice it for almost a week, but it is a passive upgrade for your suits. It's slow as hell (72 hours for 100 points) but it's pretty nice (about 1000 expansion points a month if you stay on to of it). Most suits are between 1000 - 1500 to max. Low cost suits are less. Don't waste hours on anything rank 150 or 100. Unless you feel really confident in that gimmick build.

Fwiw I already have a clan made (clan tag FoZ) and open , PSN EffEmmEll

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Zushio posted:

Yeah upgrading is often really slow, however it's worth mentioning that whenever you get a duplicate item in the gacha you'll get some tickets you can use to speed up the process, and if the duplicate is a mobile suit then you'll also get some development points for free(for example from the ten free units promotion, since I had most of them already I got points for the dupes, often enough to get them through the first level of development if they weren't already there)

Also in regards to stats, pay attention to what they are on a suit, among other things they'll inform you whether to focus on ranged or melee combat with that suit, and said stats have a rather visible effect on how you perform in combat(for example on the stats that boost melee or ranged attacks, each point you have is equal to a 1% increase in damage for a weapon of that type, so if you had a ranged stat of 25 then you'll do 25% more damage than what your weapon's listed damage is, inversely for the three types of damage resistance the same applies, so some suits can tank bullets or explosives than they can beams or melee for example), this means that some of the extra equipment you can put on suits can be surprisingly strong, especially if you stack several of that category together

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Valhawk posted:

I'm a big fan of it. It's probably one of my favorite mid-cost suits. Also, just check and make sure it's the Armored GM and not the Desert GM, as the latter is kind of a gimmick unit which requires hitting at mid-long range with a stunning shot and then quickly switching to a missile launcher.

Yup, bought it and it's put in some great work for me at that suit level. Was definitely worth the tickets.

I decided to try out the Prototype Gundam with the bazooka instead of laser and good lord that thing can put in some work. That trident is real, real nasty when you can do a 3 hit combo with it. Good lord.

Skoots
Sep 6, 2006
Edit
I guess it was mentioned

Still a fun game also
Ranking up in ranked matches gets you better rewards from all matches.

Skoots fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 17, 2019

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum
If I have a Japanese account from before the english release, is there a need to convert it to a US account or otherwise do anything to be able to play with people in the US post-english release?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I don’t believe you need to do anything special. From what I’ve heard, you can even download the US PSN version and have all your JP release stuff.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Yeah, they just merged the servers.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
More gouf plz

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I really wish the normal rated match xp wasn't so anemic because good lord it feels terrible once you blow through your 5x bonus.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

It doesn't get much better but does increase as you go up in rank.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

So have we decided on a Goon clan yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Yeah, I hit Corporal last night and those xp values are causing me some anxiety.

Next rank is 15 levels, not 10.