Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What helps make you a good person
This poll is closed.
is it our connection with others? 26 30.59%
Is it fear of hell? 3 3.53%
Is it a pure desire to be good? 34 40.00%
Is it fear of laws/jail? 3 3.53%
to get laid? 17 20.00%
fear of karma? 2 2.35%
Total: 85 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

I'd like your thoughts (and your comedy)

What motivates you to be a good person or do you just not give a gently caress and why?

How are you bettering yourself? is there a flaw you have that you just can't seem to figure out and correct that drives you crazy cuz you wish you could do better?

How are you dealing with your personal brand of crazy in this insane world?

idk just thinking.

My Shoes fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I try to be the best me possible in any given moment.

This isn't to say that I'm a good person. But I try to keep my poo poo straight so that I can do right by the people I love.

And seriously the answer to how I strive to do that is my own weird personal brand of faith. I don't do poo poo because I feel it's good. I try to do poo poo because doing that thing is the best thing at the time for me and the people that mean the most to me.

Iunno hopefully some day I'll have less immediate problems and can try to think bigger, but for now that's good enough.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 15, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I'm not a good person I think; but I'm not a bad person either.

You're a bad OP, though, for not making a checkbox poll and not including our lord and savior Goku.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
brutal self honesty and an aversion to the pain of disappointing myself

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Honky Dong Country posted:

This isn't to say that I'm a good person. But I try to keep my poo poo straight so that I can do right by the people I love.

And seriously the answer to how I strive to do that is my own weird personal brand of faith.

What's your own personal brand of faith?

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Resting Lich Face posted:

I'm not a good person I think; but I'm not a bad person either.

You're a bad OP, though, for not making a checkbox poll and not including our lord and savior Goku.

i thought about adding goku. sorry. i hereby give mods permission to add :)

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

My Shoes posted:

What's your own personal brand of faith?

That's a broad question that inevitably leads into really long boring philosophy 101-grade poo poo, but the short answer is I believe if people do what they have to do to be happy with who they are then that's all any conceivable higher power would ask of us and he/she/they'll understand why we did what we did.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

In other words my beliefs aren't all that solid or comprehensive but it's the best I've got and I'm happy with that.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

one part of it is you have to come down from the rafters and beat up bad guys with a baseball bat like Sting at some point

it should be a qualification at least

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Also the joke answer is I travel the country doing outages and donate my hog to any willing recipients like so many Vienna Sausages in the collection plate

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I do it because I could be in a bad place at anytime. I tip 50% regularly, I rate threads higher than a necessity, I cum the last.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Burt Sexual posted:

I do it because I could be in a bad place at anytime. I tip 50% regularly, I rate threads higher than a necessity, I cum the last.

But does that balance out the sins of being a moderator?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Pure narcissism, OP. The better job I do of seeming like a good person, the more praise, recognition, and leeway other people give me. And wouldn't you believe it, I end up just being a good person, by most people's definition, as a result of it. Hell, with absolutely zero love in my heart for my fellow human beings, through sheer Machiavellian calculation I'm probably a better person in practice than the vast majority of genuinely well meaning individuals.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Burt Sexual posted:

I cum the last.

Well somebody has to eat that loving cookie, there's kids starving all over the world, you know

waste not, want not

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Devils Affricate posted:

Pure narcissism, OP. The better job I do of seeming like a good person, the more praise, recognition, and leeway other people give me. And wouldn't you believe it, I end up just being a good person, by most people's definition, as a result of it. Hell, with absolutely zero love in my heart for my fellow human beings, through sheer Machiavellian calculation I'm probably a better person in practice than the vast majority of genuinely well meaning individuals.

ive seen real narcissists tho. they're always being lovely to someone. usually a family member or sexual partner. soooooooooo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

basically yeah. i treat retail/food service/hospitality workers extremely well bc poo poo sucks, even if im not happy with whatever im not ever going to take it out on them, right or wrongly. i tip as well as i can

i'll slow down and let cars in if they turn on turn-signals (i will be an absolute dick to audi drivers though), make sure to stop for pedestrians in-advance, i'll offer leftovers to homeless if they're interested. i try to clean-up after myself like making sure everything was thrown, bussing dishes (if i can) or stacking dishes, making sure wherever and whatever i was doing was at least kept in the same if not better afterwards be it at the beach or a hike or camping, keeping bathrooms no dirtier than before, and so on. Just little things like that, nothing spectacular, nothing at all that makes me think i'm Doing Good but at least i'm not Doing Harm.

i'm an extremely garbage person, but basically i try to make my existences` impacts on the world and others if not positive, then at least not ever negative.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Eh nobody's perfect and I have plenty of rear end in a top hat moments but overall yeah I try to reserve the rear end in a top hat bits for stuff that doesn't really matter or is perversely congenial like horsing around and teasing my idiot brother and friends back and forth and indulging in my family's ardent love for being a wise rear end.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Do any of you goons believe in reincarnation? or heaven and hell?

What is your motivation for being good?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Eatin rear end, good at shuffleboard, bad at tennis, really appreciating mossy rocks, like visually and poo poo, wearing t-shirts until they fall apart, always having the best opinion regardless of how stupid everyone is around you.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

My Shoes posted:

I don't think any of it is that black and white. I think once we're dead we just get what we need. Maybe for horrible monsters like serial killers that's utter non-existence in the atheistic sense? Maybe people with horrible brain problems get another go round with less hosed up think meats? Maybe the truly altruistic, rare as they are imo, get to just do it again and enjoy doing nice things or maybe they do get an eternal paradise.

Above all I don't think we can know how a supreme power over all existence would define what we need after we're dead. I think the important thing is to do what you have to do now, in this life, to try to be happy with who you are and the rest is one big bridge that you'll worry about crossing when you get there.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

My Shoes posted:

Being lovely makes me feel lovely unless it's something like stealing from a multibillion dollar corporation.

I don't need any fake bullshit like an afterlife for that and people who think they do are really awful people deep down.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
The only thing you have control over are the decisions you make, op. With that in mind, helping others in some way usually has me feeling better, for that reason I occasionally like once every month or two months volunteer at the local food bank.

Also regular exercise, not eating badly, getting 6-8 hrs of sleep, I'm good to go.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I'm an rear end in a top hat but volunteering and working with others with mental and physical disabilities has made me into a much better person with relation to perspective and overcoming challenges in life.
There's a youtube channel that I also look at called "Special books by special kids" which has a special needs teacher interview kids and young adults with major disabilities and ask them questions about society can do better in inclusion and assistance, and shows how much we all take for granted and how our complaints about quality of life are a joke compared to what some of those kids have to live with for their entire lives.

Also weed.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Resting Lich Face posted:

Being lovely makes me feel lovely unless it's something like stealing from a multibillion dollar corporation.

I don't need any fake bullshit like an afterlife for that and people who think they do are really awful people deep down.

I agree in the sense that I feel that wanting to seek and ponder answers to big questions like the op is asking is normal and good and human. Thinking you have those answers is loving insane and we should just do the best we can in life.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I don't always do good things, but when I do it's because of guilt if I don't do them and because doing them makes me feel good.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

I don't speculate a lot about the afterlife, and i don't believe in hell. I have a strong desire to be good just to be good... i think my connection to others helps me be good. When i do good and make someone happy i feel really good. When my actions result in someone being unhappy i feel really bad about it and try to examine that part of myself to become better. Also i think being good to others is being good to myself and being bad to others is being bad to myself.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Grevling posted:

I don't always do good things, but when I do it's because of guilt if I don't do them and because doing them makes me feel good.

I think this is as fair and good as any actual system of morals, religious or otherwise.

My Shoes posted:

I don't speculate a lot about the afterlife, and i don't believe in hell. I have a strong desire to be good just to be good... i think my connection to others helps me be good. When i do good and make someone happy i feel really good. When my actions result in someone being unhappy i feel really bad about it and try to examine that part of myself to become better. Also i think being good to others is being good to myself and being bad to others is being bad to myself.

Also fair, and both of you should feel good about yourselves for doing what you feel is right.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What if, let me entertain this thought for a minute here, what if being an rear end in a top hat makes you feel... good? :thunk:

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Thinking you have those answers is loving insane and we should just do the best we can in life.

Ha. Do you remember being around 18-20 and feeling like you had it all figured out? I feel like a lot of young people go through that phase.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

What if, let me entertain this thought for a minute here, what if being an rear end in a top hat makes you feel... good? :thunk:

Hell, some people do get off on hurting others but i think maybe it is because of unexamined insecurities and issues of their own. They are usually very sad people and very angry at themselves and the world. Or they have a personality disorder like narcissism which is sad.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

My Shoes posted:

Ha. Do you remember being around 18-20 and feeling like you had it all figured out? I feel like a lot of young people go through that phase.

Eh kinda. At that age I was an atheist that didn't much care about anything but getting hosed up and chasing rear end until I was dead.

But even then I didn't think I had all the answers, it was just an entirely unoriginal blend of not giving a hot poo poo about if I was right or wrong and a lack of care about the substance of my own character or the lack therof.

Hilariously enough I still don't care if I'm right or wrong but I do now believe there's some kind of thing out there, uncaring or not, and that the important thing is to just do right by yourself and the people that matter in your life. All else is beyond your control and rightfully outside your sphere of give a gently caress (well, when it comes to spiritual endgames).

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 15, 2019

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I struggle with being a good person every day, but I generally succeed at not being a complete piece of poo poo.

I'm mediocre, but I mostly don't do much damage.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Zeroisanumber posted:

I struggle with being a good person every day, but I generally succeed at not being a complete piece of poo poo.

I'm mediocre, but I mostly don't do much damage.

There's nothing at all wrong with this and you're doing a good job.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

the important thing is to just do right by yourself and the people that matter in your life.

What do you do when you fall seriously short of doing right by yourself and others and get lost for a while? What are your thoughts on that, esp if you end up hurting someone that matters to you (which i feel is hurting yourself too)?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

My Shoes posted:

Hell, some people do get off on hurting others but i think maybe it is because of unexamined insecurities and issues of their own. They are usually very sad people and very angry at themselves and the world. Or they have a personality disorder like narcissism which is sad.

Not hurting people, just being a dick for fun. I mean it’s possible that it adds perspective to the conversation and therefore adds good to worlds goodcache. :thunk:

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Not hurting people, just being a dick for fun. I mean it’s possible that it adds perspective to the conversation and therefore adds good to worlds goodcache. :thunk:

Like.. ok gimme an example.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

My Shoes posted:

What do you do when you fall seriously short of doing right by yourself and others and get lost for a while? What are your thoughts on that, esp if you end up hurting someone that matters to you?

Apologize and genuinely try to make it right, if at all possible.

I regularly fall short of my own standards. It feels bad, absolutely, but life goes on. Keep moving and try to do better in the future. It's not the end of the world.

Seriously tho this poo poo has me chuckling because I'm posting crap that shithead hucksters have been saying for a long time. But really you can either wallow in your failure to live up to your own ideals and ideal self (and I absolutely do sometimes) or you can keep moving and try not to gently caress up as bad going forward :shrug:

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Holding my breath right now to lower my carbon footprint.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Apologize and genuinely try to make it right, if at all possible.

I regularly fall short of my own standards. It feels bad, absolutely, but life goes on. Keep moving and try to do better in the future. It's not the end of the world.

Seriously tho this poo poo has me chuckling because I'm posting crap that shithead hucksters have been saying for a long time. But really you can either wallow in your failure to live up to your own ideals and ideal self (and I absolutely do sometimes) or you can keep moving and try not to gently caress up as bad going forward :shrug:

IDK how hucksters factor in? But I like you. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

dudeness posted:

Holding my breath right now to lower my carbon footprint.

Do not fear the almighty atom