Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What helps make you a good person
This poll is closed.
is it our connection with others? 26 30.59%
Is it fear of hell? 3 3.53%
Is it a pure desire to be good? 34 40.00%
Is it fear of laws/jail? 3 3.53%
to get laid? 17 20.00%
fear of karma? 2 2.35%
Total: 85 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

Everytime I look around, I see
So much drama goin down
So much fakeness goin down
I kill 39 bad people every day. who are you to ask who i am?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

quote:

is it our connection with others?

This was my answer. There is a strong interdependence between people. To think just how many cases of causal and this-that conditionality are required for each one's apparent personal existence boggles the mind. On a more fundamental level, individual existence seems to be somewhat illusory, and, at least, an unwholesome mental fabrication because it causes suffering.

I have been helped, I have tried to help. I'm not saying I'm a good person, or even that absolute good or evil exist.

quote:

Is it fear of hell?
fear of karma?

I bunched these together because they're related, and I personally believe in both, but don't fear them. I do not think of fear as a very good motivator; I much prefer Love, Compassion, Sympathetic Joy and Equanimity. I try to act out of Love & Compassion and do not shun the occasional consequence of Sympathetic Joy, but the Buddha called "the results of kamma" one of "the four imponderables" and said " "These four imponderables are not to be speculated about. Whoever speculates about them would go mad & experience vexation". Like a finnish rap song, translated, says: "out of good arises evil; out of evil arises good". Thus, the results of karma sometimes seem unfair and almost always seem unfathomable, which makes the fourth Sublime State, Equanimity, so important.

quote:

Is it a pure desire to be good?

One could hope. Due to the inscrutable nature of karma, even the best intentions can not always be trusted to bring hoped-for results, but as I like to say, "if you do your best, no-one can demand more". It can be a useful mental construction to strive to be "better" or "with a purer desire to do good", but ultimately, all such fabrications are empty; in the Heart Sutra, it says "all dharmas are marked with emptiness [...] are not tainted or pure, do not increase or decrease".

quote:

Is it fear of laws/jail?

I should hope not. As I said before, I do not believe that fear makes a good motivator.

I personally don't fear these things, and certainly don't base my morality on an aversion of enclosed spaces. I will admit that prison would certainly challenge me, as I have a strong desire for liberty, but then again, a cell is just a room. With some 12 hours a day to meditate, I would have a chance to re-evaluate my notion of freedom, and, indeed, sometimes fantasize about this.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
thats a lot of ways to say you're racist

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My Shoes posted:

uh the rear end eating thread is thattaway, dude :P

Eating rear end removes from my bottom it does not feed it.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I'll let you feed my bottom if u know what I'm saying

I do not know what you are saying, never heard of such a thing. :shrug:

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

This was my answer. There is a strong interdependence between people. To think just how many cases of causal and this-that conditionality are required for each one's apparent personal existence boggles the mind. On a more fundamental level, individual existence seems to be somewhat illusory, and, at least, an unwholesome mental fabrication because it causes suffering.

I have been helped, I have tried to help. I'm not saying I'm a good person, or even that absolute good or evil exist.

I bunched these together because they're related, and I personally believe in both, but don't fear them. I do not think of fear as a very good motivator; I much prefer Love, Compassion, Sympathetic Joy and Equanimity. I try to act out of Love & Compassion and do not shun the occasional consequence of Sympathetic Joy, but the Buddha called "the results of kamma" one of "the four imponderables" and said " "These four imponderables are not to be speculated about. Whoever speculates about them would go mad & experience vexation". Like a finnish rap song, translated, says: "out of good arises evil; out of evil arises good". Thus, the results of karma sometimes seem unfair and almost always seem unfathomable, which makes the fourth Sublime State, Equanimity, so important.

One could hope. Due to the inscrutable nature of karma, even the best intentions can not always be trusted to bring hoped-for results, but as I like to say, "if you do your best, no-one can demand more". It can be a useful mental construction to strive to be "better" or "with a purer desire to do good", but ultimately, all such fabrications are empty; in the Heart Sutra, it says "all dharmas are marked with emptiness [...] are not tainted or pure, do not increase or decrease".

I should hope not. As I said before, I do not believe that fear makes a good motivator.

I personally don't fear these things, and certainly don't base my morality on an aversion of enclosed spaces. I will admit that prison would certainly challenge me, as I have a strong desire for liberty, but then again, a cell is just a room. With some 12 hours a day to meditate, I would have a chance to re-evaluate my notion of freedom, and, indeed, sometimes fantasize about this.

this is a really great post. thanks.

Lt Dan Ice Cream
Jul 29, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I give my old dickhead cat insulin twice a day even when he goes pee pee on the floor. Plus he gets combed out twice a day or he won't shut up.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

butt feeding seems like a level 3 fetish, and i don’t how to avoid it other than not role playing as a bunch of grapes.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

dead prez posted:

thats a lot of ways to say you're racist

Lol I’m gonna jump on the weird post bandwagon here. :v:

I am humble servant, grateful for liberties granted to me by master. Oppressor held me down in shameful ways, and despite besting and brutally defeating master in the most humiliating and laborious ways, I am lucky to be in such graces of the bredreman, and I will such graciously allow to fulfill contracts for master who I too am humbled by despite besting and brutally humiliating in so many ways. I owe all successes to the god of chaos for whom my liberties have been granted not through the strength of my deeds or the will of my ingenuity, but through happenstance and blessing from master, who i humbly deserve despite besting and defeating in all such ways. :downs:

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
I haven't made anyone cry in hours. That's a 'Good Person" thing, right?

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Obsidianheart posted:

Only hours, huh?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

My Shoes posted:

Only hours, huh?

Eternity can be measured in hours.

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the last time you were in a fight, were you in the right?

yes, absolutely in the right
i certainly was in the right!
yeah, i was definitely in the right that geezer was cruising for a bruising

*pink floyd's money fades out*

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

The Cockler posted:

Winner writes history, so yes.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I try not to make people feel like my anxiety makes me feel.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

All i can do is just pour some tea for two
and speak my point of view but it's not sane.

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

The Cockler posted:

The circle of "people who feel their own goodness" is overly large. The circle of "good people who believe they're good" mostly overlaps with the former circle. The part of the latter circle that doesn't overlap with the former circle probably contains the best people

Edit: that doesn't make sense. tldr sometimes good people are driven by a feeling of inadequacy

Truck Stop Stall fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 19, 2019

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I don't believe in karma but I believe in "karma" as in if you're a dick and do bad things you'll tend to alienate people around you and that will lead to worse outcomes in general. However this does not always work, as is clearly seen by how many psychoes that exist among economic and political leaders i.e. "successful" people.

It's guilt that works to make me try to do good and not bad things, but where it comes from I really don't know. Maybe I was just raised that way.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Obsidianheart posted:

*begins weeping*

My Shoes posted:

All i can do is just pour some tea for two
and speak my point of view but it's not sane.

It's not saaaAAAaaaAAAaaaAAAne?

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

I try to remember that everyone has pain and if i can lessen their pain with my interactions by even just 10% by giving a poo poo, having empathy, listening, and making them laugh, i feel like i'm doing well at being a good person.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
thats way too healthy to be socially acceptable

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

dead prez posted:

thats way too healthy to be socially acceptable

so ive noticed.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Simple: not being a poo poo oval office.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Simple: not being a poo poo oval office.

oh drat. im not a good person after all.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=571BuZeeQjE

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just aim to be the best whatever you are :downs:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Also another thought on the topic - you are what you eat

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
dead posters are middle class dinner

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Colonel Cancer posted:

Also another thought on the topic - you are what you eat

Finally my waffle cosplay will have some authenticity.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

The world is evil, and I have a disagreement with the nature of all things... this leads to me adopting fundamentally mal-adaptive behaviors like kindness, empathy, and morality, in lieu of functional and rewarding behaviors like cruelty selfishness. I understand these beliefs will create only hardship, but death has promised to rescue me from my suffering... in the mean time, I hope to find ways to encourage good and discourage evil.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

My roommate just popped into the kitchen where i was cleaning and randomly told me im the nicest person he knows. That was pretty cool.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My Shoes posted:

My roommate just popped into the kitchen where i was cleaning and randomly told me im the nicest person he knows. That was pretty cool.

Did you strike him

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Did you strike him

Nah. He struck me and I turned the other cheek

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

My Shoes posted:

Did you set him on fire to assert dominance?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My Shoes posted:

Nah. He struck me and I turned the other cheek

Was it a diversion to strike him

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

NO! we resolve our disputes in a civilized manner: we mud wrestle

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
lol op assuming i'm a good person

im a oval office op hth. well, i'll say that i'm a good person when it matters but otherwise I self-isolate for 95% of my existence and am constantly ready to blow up at anyone who rubs me wrong

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 20, 2019

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

The crisis caused by impermanence of self is resolved with the permanence of ideals OP

also good boys get tendies

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

unpleasantly turgid posted:

lol op assuming i'm a good person

im a oval office op hth. well, i'll say that i'm a good person when it matters but otherwise I self-isolate for 95% of my existence and am constantly ready to blow up at anyone who rubs me wrong

And if they rub you right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Literally A Person posted:

And if they rub you right?

Probably depends on who i s doing the rubbing.