Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What helps make you a good person
This poll is closed.
is it our connection with others? 26 30.59%
Is it fear of hell? 3 3.53%
Is it a pure desire to be good? 34 40.00%
Is it fear of laws/jail? 3 3.53%
to get laid? 17 20.00%
fear of karma? 2 2.35%
Total: 85 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think living a life trying to be happy is a fool's errand and life should be about making peace with good and the bad and making a small step towards reducing the bad things.

Besides we cracked the code years ago on how to be happy, and it turns out it's not the conclusive solution to the problem of life/suffering. It's drugs.

To be a good person, I try to make life more tolerable for others and myself and focus on being anti-bad as much as possible. I do this because it's the only thing I could look back on in my life and feel good about it I guess, but more importantly just because life fuckin' sucks doesn't mean we can't make it a bit better for our communities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Jerkoff sex chamber is the destiny of mankind. I look forward to it, nobody can be bothered to harm others within the jerkoff sex chamber.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Relayer posted:

Jerkoff sex chamber is the destiny of mankind. I look forward to it, nobody can be bothered to harm others within the jerkoff sex chamber.

Your estranged family might beg to differ.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

petting a dog

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

OP have you tried murdering everyone who tempts you to do evil? Then you can live a peaceful life of pure contemplation.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Yeah. Ummm but I don’t see jail as a peaceful place conducive to pure contemplation tho

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
he probably means a much deeper metaphorical kind of murder

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

The Cockler posted:

he probably means a much deeper metaphorical kind of murder

Oh like a you’re dead to me state of denial kind of existence. Hmmm

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

My Shoes posted:

Oh like a you’re dead to me state of denial kind of existence. Hmmm

his interpretations of temptation and evil are probably equally deep

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

The Cockler posted:

his interpretations of temptation and evil are probably equally deep

Penises and men in general don’t exist. In fact nothing exists and I have now fully embraced solipsism.

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

My Shoes posted:

Penises and men in general don’t exist. In fact nothing exists and I have now fully embraced solipsism.

welcome to the real world

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

jokes posted:

I think living a life trying to be happy is a fool's errand and life should be about making peace with good and the bad and making a small step towards reducing the bad things.

I'd argue that this statement is contradictory in that if you can make peace with both the good and the bad while trying to mitigate the bad, then you've got every reason to be happy or at least content with the knowledge that you've done all you can. If you do what's necessary and try to make things better you should concentrate most your efforts on being proud of that, imo, because it's all anybody can do in the end.

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Honky Dong Country posted:

I'd argue that this statement is contradictory in that if you can make peace with both the good and the bad while trying to mitigate the bad, then you've got every reason to be happy or at least content with the knowledge that you've done all you can. If you do what's necessary and try to make things better you should concentrate most your efforts on being proud of that, imo, because it's all anybody can do in the end.

how proud of yourself can you be when you are, as in my case, an all around a lesser human being

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

The Cockler posted:

how proud of yourself can you be when you are, as in my case, an all around a lesser human being

when are you gonna start feeling better about yourself?! :love:

Postopheles
Mar 18, 2007
I don't have the self awareness to know if I'm a good or bad person, so I just assume I'm awful and interact with as few people as possible

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The Cockler posted:

Lesser compared to what, exactly?

Just do what you can and try to be happy dude. As long as you do what's necessary to take care of yourself and your loved ones, you should try to find contentment in that, if not happiness. Imo if you spend your whole life weighing your worth as a "good" person against examples that you'll always consider better than yourself then you're doomed to feel like a piece of poo poo forever and that's not fair to yourself if you're trying to be a better you.

E: I guess my point is I don't consider myself a good human being either, but I'm making a concerted effort at being better, and I'm proud of that and happy with my making my best effort at it. That's more what I was driving at with that post you quoted. Imo that has to be good enough or else you're gonna be miserable forever.

I don't think a "good person" entails only people we consider "best people." I think continually trying to be better, while remaining imperfect as we all are, makes you a good person.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 21, 2019

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i petted 2 dogs today

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i petted 2 dogs today

bullshit

Just do what you can and try to be happy dude. As long as you do what's necessary to take care of yourself and your loved ones, you should try to find contentment in that, if not happiness. Imo if you spend your whole life weighing your worth as a "good" person against examples that you'll always consider better than yourself then you're doomed to feel like a piece of poo poo forever and that's not fair to yourself if you're trying to be a better you.

E: I guess my point is I don't consider myself a good human being either, but I'm making a concerted effort at being better, and I'm proud of that and happy with my making my best effort at it. That's more what I was driving at with that post you quoted. Imo that has to be good enough or else you're gonna be miserable forever.

I don't think a "good person" entails only people we consider "best people." I think continually trying to be better, while remaining imperfect as we all are, makes you a good person.

money

The Cockler fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 21, 2019

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

A serious HDK post. I can dig it.

Just try to be good. Make the effort. Failure? Success? At least you tried.

Like.. i could pee on a five dollar bill and give it to a homeless guy, or I could NOT pee on it, and still give it to him.

It's all about our choices and decisions.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

The Cockler posted:

bullshit

money

And if you're asking what makes you a good person, then you are probably on the right path to become a good person.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I often ask if I'm a good person

My executioner told me to not get hung up about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I often ask if I'm a good person

In Isaac Asimov's the Black Widower series, they always ask the guest who has a problem "how do you justify your existence?" before helping.