Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

alexandriao posted:

idk man, you can learn other skills while camming / posting lewds. It's not like you can't touch computers and touch yourself on cameras on the same day.

that's a level 2 argument

op did not even get past beyond level 0 where they compared monthly earnings without thinking about how many months their career could last

besides i am not sure how much cammers do work usually. i would assume it gets quite close to a full time, because they need to be in good physical shape and deal with production, probably hire assistants as well just like the big youtube channels have teams behind them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Penisface posted:

that's a level 2 argument

op did not even get past beyond level 0 where they compared monthly earnings without thinking about how many months their career could last

besides i am not sure how much cammers do work usually. i would assume it gets quite close to a full time, because they need to be in good physical shape and deal with production, probably hire assistants as well just like the big youtube channels have teams behind them

Yup

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
given that the literal easiest thing on the internet is to see naked people, i have to imagine that anyone who is naked on the internet for a living is putting out some really primo poo poo so it's probably a harder job than touching computers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm only really opposed to the super creepy poo poo like when guys get a dildo dropshipped to an onlyfans egirl and will only tip fat when they use it live. weird power plays exist even through the internet tubes

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

uncurable mlady posted:

given that the literal easiest thing on the internet is to see naked people, i have to imagine that anyone who is naked on the internet for a living is putting out some really primo poo poo so it's probably a harder job than touching computers

yeah but there was also that one that sold their bath water and selling panties is apparently a primo market so you probs shouldn't underestimate how pathetic some nerds are

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
nudity is easy to come by online, but back-and-forth interaction, be it a 1:1 video chat or a broadcast stream with audience participation, will always command a premium

i'd wager that there's actually much more money to be made in addressing loneliness than horniness

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

quote:

dnh44 3 hours ago [–]

When I’ve done a great job of procrastinating, I normally have a lot anxious energy that I feel I need to get rid of so I go for a 30 minute walk or run. During this outing I repeat the Mentat Mantra from the Dune film to myself the entire time.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

I then arrive home ready to work, feeling like I can accomplish anything. I take a quick shower if I’ve been for a run then go to the kitchen and go through the ritual of making a cup of tea. I sit down at my desk, finally ready to begin. Then I’ll pick one last HN comments section to read. I normally pick the one that has the most comments. After that’s done I desperately search for anything else that I could justify doing. Then I’ve got a pretty good chance of starting unless it’s close to lunchtime.

In all seriousness though I’ve learned to just accept it without guilt and stop torturing myself. I’ll spend a couple days out of the office and not even try being productive, maybe have a long weekend. There’s no point in suffering in front of a computer screen if I’m not going to be productive anyway. Might as well sit in the sun with a cup of tea and listen to the birds.

quote:

m463 52 minutes ago [–]

Reminds me a little of:

"I believe in taking care of myself, in a balanced diet, in a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now."

"After I remove the icepack, I use a deep pore-cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water-activated gel cleanser, then a honey-almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub."

They're becoming self aware! :ohdear:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Internet Janitor posted:

i'd wager that there's actually much more money to be made in addressing loneliness than horniness

I agree but this is the hn thread so I mean the current context is people who are probably lonely for good reason

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Xik posted:

I agree but this is the hn thread so I mean the current context is people who are probably lonely for good reason

its not lonely its craving randomness

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

lihaciudaniel 15 minutes ago [–]

>Understand that you are closing off doors as much as opening new ones

You can't have everything. You must sacrifice family if you want success and if you want family you must sacrifice success. Some people aren't even aware of that and blame the former for their lack of success.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
makes sense - you only get so many character points and you have to decide if family or success will be your dump stat

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I’m just insanely, unbelievably unpleasant to be around so luckily I don’t even need to make those sort of tough calls

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

dads friend steve posted:

I’m just insanely, unbelievably unpleasant to be around so luckily I don’t even need to make those sort of tough calls

same. :smith:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

FireLiar 5 hours ago [–]

I don't view anyone who has amassed anything under $10MM in networth as successful; I believe me and the parent are in agreement on this.
You cannot amass this much wealth in a reasonable -- 40-50 y.os need not apply -- timeframe if you have a family commitment. Even significant others may become detrimental to that end, if they cannot accept that they're #2 now. Close relationships take time. An absolute fuckload of time.
In order to gain that amount of wealth, it takes years of 70+ hour work weeks. You will neither have the time nor inclination to spend time with tour loved ones if you're truly operating on all cylinders. If you're not, that's fine. That's your choice, but there's many more out there that don't have those kinds of personal hangups and will dedicate more time to winning.
You would not be able to understand unless you've been there.
Oh and Warren Buffett is not a paragon of family values. He has had falling outs with and disowned one of his children -- the rest is washed away by PR firms.
Gates too. Melinda would barely see him in the early days of MSFT. Neither would his first newborn child, while Gates was wrapped up in the antitrust suits.
These people were businessman first and foremost. They did not get to the top of the food chain by spending quality time with their children. Theire businesses (or passions) will always be #1 to them.
Invariably, these men have spent less time with their children and wives than any poor south americans -- who happen to have higher emotional wellness than their American counterparts.
This isn't about not having a family. Many high perfomance men have families, but they always take a back seat to their missions. Perhaps in later life when they're more established, that changes; I've seen it happen.

FireLiar 4 hours ago [–]

I think it's because I was able to connect with people so well when I was young that I went down this path.
It was just a game at the end of the day. Make the right moves, win the right prizes. But like any game, you lose the magic after a while. And unlike video games, you can't just step back and take a break from doing it, it's an unavoidable part of being human.
But you're not off-base. At this level you definitely lose touch with everything people find "normal." I've found myself not caring about other people or their problems. Why would I?
Group dynamics are emergent behavior that's coded into our DNA to increase survival, prisoner's dillema style. If someone does nothing for me or adds nothing to my life, why would I give them any of my empathy? Can't they fix their own problems? Do they wish some knight in shining armor would ride in and save them? Do they want a handout? My empathy, for free? How selfish is that.
Every problem has a solution, endless complaining gets one nowhere. When I was broke and homeless, I'd get my own hands dirty. Now that I'm comfortably wealthy, I can throw money at whatever problem pops up.
Whatever problems, emotional, physical, mental, sociological, economical, yada yada yada, that you have are your own responsibility. No one really gives a poo poo about anyone else; all relationships are transactional, and if you're not offering me gold beads, you're not getting my muskets.
Ranting aside, that's a brief intro to my experience and worldview. If any particular piece resonated with you strongly, please leave a reply. I'm always interested in seeing original ideas, how infrequent it may be.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
who would have thought a broken sociopath would post on hn

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

a good post:

numpad0 3 hours ago | unvote [–]

Docker at this point is InstallShield infrastructure for startup production quality freewares

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

uncurable mlady posted:

it's fetishes op

if the itch is hard to scratch people will pay out the rear end to scratch it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

uncurable mlady posted:

its about developing specific intrigue too

like, somehow getting people to want to see *you*, and this might be because you're local or post on their fave site etc

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

it sounds more like he got semi-kidnapped by his insane daughter lol
https://newrepublic.com/article/156829/happened-jordan-peterson

lmao he had to be a big strong man and go cold turkey and it almost killed him

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cold on a Cob posted:

lmao he had to be a big strong man and go cold turkey and it almost killed him
even funnier - he couldn't get off the meds or go cold turkey, so he arranged to be put in a medical coma in order to cleverly avoid going through the hell of withdrawal

the fact that he had to trek all the way to russia to find a place willing to attempt this should tell you everything you need to know about how inadvisable a move that is

and now all evidence is that his brain is mostly tapioca

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

it’s probably really bad for your brain to have hella seizures for a week straight, even if you’re sedated for it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

it’s probably really bad for your brain to have hella seizures for a week straight, even if you’re sedated for it

proof is in the pudding

in this case said proof and pudding are both located in what used to be peterson's brain matter

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

NihilCredo posted:

a good post:

numpad0 3 hours ago | unvote [–]

Docker at this point is InstallShield infrastructure for startup production quality freewares

lol

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

atemerev 2 hours ago [–]

About 70% of what I am earning and spending these days is in Bitcoin.

yreg 53 minutes ago [–]

Just to clarify, you are not a drug lord, right?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

devwastaken 6 hours ago [–]

That's the fault of cpu manufacturers. Specifically Intel. Nobody likes it, but the mitigations are necessary. We live in a software world that relies upon the Internet.
Intel should be held accountable. A fine every quarter they continue to put national security at harm.

orly
Oct 2, 2005

prime hn lols at https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=23303037

Loving that while most comments are of the indignant "now that this affects me, a holy computer toucher" bent outta shape type there's a Significant bootlicking brigade there too "how can the company be encouraged to apologize with all these mean comments?"

orly
Oct 2, 2005

photonios 9 hours ago [–]

I am not an active Triplebyte user, but I have an account and followed the thread(s).
This e-mail (which I also got) seems like a heartfelt apology. They hosed up, realized it and turned the ship around. They listened and that's what counts for me. They listened to the negative feedback and responded to it.
Some comments around here are extremely negative of the whole situation. More negative than I think they deserve. They could've pushed through and ignored all the feedback they got. They didn't, and that's enough for to show the company and its CEO isn't utterly rotten.
@ammon Thanks for listening and participating in the discussions on HN. You made a mistake, but the fact that you responded is enough for me to put my trust in Triplebyte in the future if the need arises

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Triplebyte is a YC company and HN is a YC site, so economic interests are aligned with nuking highly critical comments

dang 2 days ago [–]

That's a natural assumption, but if you think a step further it's not hard to see why it's false: you shouldn't optimize for local optima, especially if doing that would ruin your global optimum. When you have a goose that lays golden eggs, don't risk the goose for an egg.

YC's economic interest in HN is having it be a happy, thriving community. That dominates all other considerations put together. A fast way to ruin that would be to destroy the community's good faith by suppressing negative posts about YC or YC startups. In addition to being wrong (we wouldn't want to belong to such a community ourselves), it would be dumb. If anyone wants more explanation there are posts about HN vis-à-vis YC's business interests going back years: https://hn.algolia.com/?dateRange=all&page=0&prefix=false&qu.... See also https://hn.algolia.com/?dateRange=all&page=0&prefix=true&que..., which describes the simple way we try to optimize this (simple in principle, though not in execution). And see https://blog.ycombinator.com/two-hn-announcements/ from 2015 about HN's editorial independence.

(Edit—because I've been wanting to write about this for some time and this may as well be the place:)

The above is the answer I always give to questions of how HN serves YC's business, because it's true and it's solid economics. It's the right answer to give to anyone who's looking at the question through a cynical economic lens (as we all have been trained to do) since the answer is, basically, "we can be even more cynically self-interested by not doing that".

However, I also always feel a little bad after giving that answer because it's not the deeper truth. The deeper truth is that we just feel this way. HN and YC grew up together. In a way they are siblings, and one doesn't exploit one's sibling. Or, to switch metaphors: because HN and YC grew together, the connections between them are complex and organic, like the connections between brain hemispheres. If you get in there and start snipping and moving things around, you're likely to end up with a self-lobotomy.

If you want a hard-nosed business reason for how HN makes money for YC, one is: it leads to people starting startups that wouldn't otherwise exist, and it leads to YC funding startups that it wouldn't otherwise get to fund. That's how HN adds to YC's core business (edit: but see [1] below). I use that reasoning to explain to people why we don't need to sell ads on HN or do other things to monetize it or drive growth. Again, though, it doesn't capture how I (and I think most at YC) really think and feel about HN. The deeper truth is the two have always been together and we can't imagine them otherwise.

In other words, the value of HN to YC is intangible. That affects how we operate HN. If the value were tangible, then snipping things and moving them around and generally being bustling and managerial would probably be the way to go, or at least the most likely thing that people inside a business would do. But since it's intangible, all that kind of thing gets supplanted by a general feeling of "this is good, don't gently caress it up". Since the main indicator of whether we're loving it up or not is the community, the way HN can most add value to YC is by keeping the community happy. Happiness means two things here: interest (because HN is supposed to be interesting) and trust (because a community can't exist without trust).

This is not a mystical paradise that will last forever—it's a historical accident that an internet forum ended up in a sweet spot vis-à-vis the company that owns it, where the business is better off optimizing for the forum being good and happy than by banner ads or growth hacking. But we all know that it's an honor to get to be stewards of a community in that way, and while nothing lasts forever, we want to keep it going as long as possible, and maybe longer than anyone would have thought possible.

[1] edit: for some reason I forgot to mention the three formal things that HN also gives to YC: job ads for YC startups, Launch HN posts for YC startups, and displaying YC founder usernames in orange to other YC founders. See https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=23293437 for more.

orly
Oct 2, 2005

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Triplebyte is a YC company and HN is a YC site, so economic interests are aligned with nuking highly critical comments

dang 2 days ago [–]

That's a natural assumption, but if you think a step further it's not hard to see why it's false: you shouldn't optimize for local optima, especially if doing that would ruin your global optimum. When you have a goose that lays golden eggs, don't risk the goose for an egg.

YC's economic interest in HN is having it be a happy, thriving community. That dominates all other considerations put together. A fast way to ruin that would be to destroy the community's good faith by suppressing negative posts about YC or YC startups. In addition to being wrong (we wouldn't want to belong to such a community ourselves), it would be dumb. If anyone wants more explanation there are posts about HN vis-à-vis YC's business interests going back years: https://hn.algolia.com/?dateRange=all&page=0&prefix=false&qu.... See also https://hn.algolia.com/?dateRange=all&page=0&prefix=true&que..., which describes the simple way we try to optimize this (simple in principle, though not in execution). And see https://blog.ycombinator.com/two-hn-announcements/ from 2015 about HN's editorial independence.

(Edit—because I've been wanting to write about this for some time and this may as well be the place:)

The above is the answer I always give to questions of how HN serves YC's business, because it's true and it's solid economics. It's the right answer to give to anyone who's looking at the question through a cynical economic lens (as we all have been trained to do) since the answer is, basically, "we can be even more cynically self-interested by not doing that".

However, I also always feel a little bad after giving that answer because it's not the deeper truth. The deeper truth is that we just feel this way. HN and YC grew up together. In a way they are siblings, and one doesn't exploit one's sibling. Or, to switch metaphors: because HN and YC grew together, the connections between them are complex and organic, like the connections between brain hemispheres. If you get in there and start snipping and moving things around, you're likely to end up with a self-lobotomy.

If you want a hard-nosed business reason for how HN makes money for YC, one is: it leads to people starting startups that wouldn't otherwise exist, and it leads to YC funding startups that it wouldn't otherwise get to fund. That's how HN adds to YC's core business (edit: but see [1] below). I use that reasoning to explain to people why we don't need to sell ads on HN or do other things to monetize it or drive growth. Again, though, it doesn't capture how I (and I think most at YC) really think and feel about HN. The deeper truth is the two have always been together and we can't imagine them otherwise.

In other words, the value of HN to YC is intangible. That affects how we operate HN. If the value were tangible, then snipping things and moving them around and generally being bustling and managerial would probably be the way to go, or at least the most likely thing that people inside a business would do. But since it's intangible, all that kind of thing gets supplanted by a general feeling of "this is good, don't gently caress it up". Since the main indicator of whether we're loving it up or not is the community, the way HN can most add value to YC is by keeping the community happy. Happiness means two things here: interest (because HN is supposed to be interesting) and trust (because a community can't exist without trust).

This is not a mystical paradise that will last forever—it's a historical accident that an internet forum ended up in a sweet spot vis-à-vis the company that owns it, where the business is better off optimizing for the forum being good and happy than by banner ads or growth hacking. But we all know that it's an honor to get to be stewards of a community in that way, and while nothing lasts forever, we want to keep it going as long as possible, and maybe longer than anyone would have thought possible.

[1] edit: for some reason I forgot to mention the three formal things that HN also gives to YC: job ads for YC startups, Launch HN posts for YC startups, and displaying YC founder usernames in orange to other YC founders. See https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=23293437 for more.

lmao at that especially, considering the dang posts that are already recorded in this thread

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
on the one hand, lmao at the “golden egg” of hn being in any way comparable to the value of one of their actual companies

on the other hand, lmao at the idea that hn censoring comments for financial advantage would trigger some sort of massive user revolt

anyway the real reason they wouldn’t bother is just the streisand effect

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
:lol: why would we expect HN to moderate poorly?
https://jcs.org/notaweblog/2012/06/13/hellbanned_from_hacker_news

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

my 42nd highest karma

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

For all the poo poo I will fling at HN I have never had an interaction with dang or sctb where I didn't think they were thoughtful (if wrong) or anything other than well-intentioned. They screw up, and their bosses really suck poo poo, but dang doesn't write that sort of thing for his health and his bosses don't care enough to demand it.

HN would be a worse place without them doing what they do. Which is saying something. There's a lot of "bail out the ocean" going on there.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
they obviously don't want the site to just be product hunt but they also are either consciously or unconsciously denying the reality of how it operates

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Yeah for sure. I end up disagreeing with them probably half of the times I go "hey what the gently caress?" in an email. But I never come away feeling like the problem wasn't thought about, if that makes sense? dang doesn't have the kind of influence that I think a lot of HN critics expect him to. It's a job.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SheinhardtWigCo 29 minutes ago [–]

Imagine Amazon with a radically different UI: a physical store on wheels that automatically stocks itself with products you’re likely to buy and then drives itself to your house. You go inside and take what you want; then the vehicle returns to base and stocks itself for the next customer.

I want that.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
They exist and in my country at least, are notorious for exploiting the most vulnerable people in society.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2018/04/17/105316/inside-nzs-reprehensible-mobile-shopping-trucks

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

mawarannahr posted:

SheinhardtWigCo 29 minutes ago [–]

Imagine Amazon with a radically different UI: a physical store on wheels that automatically stocks itself with products you’re likely to buy and then drives itself to your house. You go inside and take what you want; then the vehicle returns to base and stocks itself for the next customer.

I want that.

get a loving hobby people

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

one, consumption needs to be louder, edgier, and self driving. two, whenever consumption isnt happening, all the people need to ask "why aren't i consuming right now?". three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

cocktailpeanuts 7 hours ago [–]

good for them.
honestly, Uber got "hype pressured" into this whole "self driving car" madness because they didn't want to be disrupted by Google, but they were really fighting a phantom that didn't exist. In other words, Google did a really great job trolling Uber into losing focus.
Uber model is great and they should focus on helping people make more money and create jobs