Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

that's a bad analogy, because bozo became the world's most famous clown. the name is basically synonymous with clowns even though bozo hasn't been culturally relevant for decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 21, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

i don't actually have any clue who bozo is/was and for a long time i didn't realize he was a specific clown and it wasn't just a generic stand-in clown name

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Plorkyeran posted:

a generic stand-in clown name
dont sign your posts!

Plorkyeran
Mar 21, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

that would be a pretty good username actually

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

but doctor, he said with tears in his eyes, i am the generic stand-in clown

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

The_Franz posted:

that's a bad analogy, because bozo became the world's most famous clown. the name is basically synonymous with clowns even though bozo hasn't been culturally relevant for decades

unless i'm not understanding what you mean, being famous is not the same as being a genius

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

true but then again maybe he was a genius of comedy

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

unless i'm not understanding what you mean, being famous is not the same as being a genius

some good ideas being laughed at does not mean that every laughed at idea is a good one. he tries to reinforce this by saying that people laughed at a silly non-genius clown as well, but bozo was a brilliant piece of character design and marketing. they made him so famous that, even now, when a huge number of people have never actually seen the character, it's generally the first name you will hear if you asked random people to name a clown, regardless of age

if you are looking for a trivial counter-example in the form of something dumb that was laughed at, a character who clowned his way into the cultural lexicon is not the best example

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

tbf when Carl Sagan said that Bozo was current.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

The_Franz posted:

some good ideas being laughed at does not mean that every laughed at idea is a good one. he tries to reinforce this by saying that people laughed at a silly non-genius clown as well, but bozo was a brilliant piece of character design and marketing. they made him so famous that, even now, when a huge number of people have never actually seen the character, it's generally the first name you will hear if you asked random people to name a clown, regardless of age

if you are looking for a trivial counter-example in the form of something dumb that was laughed at, a character who clowned his way into the cultural lexicon is not the best example

I would have said Homie the Clown if you asked me op

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Armitag3 posted:

I would have said Homie the Clown if you asked me op

*hits u with sock*

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Plorkyeran posted:

i don't actually have any clue who bozo is/was and for a long time i didn't realize he was a specific clown and it wasn't just a generic stand-in clown name

we're basically a few short steps away from the equivalent of bugs bunny calling elmer fudd "nimrod" and people adopting it as a generic insult instead of a facetious comparison of fudd to a great hunter of antiquity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

And I'm only saying this because I care.

There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Fun Shoe

the nimrod press sponsored some PBS show I used to watch, and it was always hilarious after having grown up watching Bugs Bunny cartoons