Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM 36 HYDROPONIC HEADS OF LETTUCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

the secret is out

nmeofthestate 2 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

When the article is about something you're familiar with, you do start to wonder if all HN comment threads are similarly topped by blowhards missing the point.

olorum
Apr 24, 2021

AinderS 1 hour ago | parent | context | favorite | on: What the Hell Is Up with Dilbert?

Simple. Workplace complaints and management priorities have changed, and Dilbert followed.

When Dilbert started, the government wasn't yet training employees how to "interrupt whiteness" [1], or Coca-Cola how to "be less white" [2], or Cigna simply forbidding hiring whites [3], nor did academia require mandatory diversity pledges for new hires and promotions [4]. Dilbert is doing what we are told art is supposed to do - hold a mirror to society. Do you like what you see?

[1] https://www.city-journal.org/seattle-interrupting-whiteness-training

[2] https://www.newsweek.com/coca-cola-facing-backlash-says-less-white-learning-plan-was-about-workplace-inclusion-1570875 (Note that in all the "debunkings" of this story, Coca-Cola never claims the presentation wasn't shown by their hired diversity experts as part of its diversity training. Merely that Coca-Cola the company didn't require those specific slides. But the slides are completely in-line with rhetoric championed by diversity experts routinely hired to train employees.)

[3] https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/cigna-critical-race-theory-training-dont-say-brown-bag-lunch-mindful-religious-privilege

[4] https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-universitys-new-loyalty-oath-11576799749

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > YOSPOS > hn thread: blowhards missing the point

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

dilberts holding a mirror to scott adams nose

Standish
May 21, 2001

oceanghost 2 hours ago | parent | context | favorite | on: What the Hell Is Up with Dilbert?

Yep. I was once advised by HR to "try not to offend anyone." I asked the HR woman, "How do I know what offends any particular person?"

She looked genuinely stumped.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

toyg 2 hours ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Coding as a greybeard

> I see no prospect of it happening in the next 10 years
It's happening right now: the field is being flooded by data-kids who reason in different terms. They are statisticians first and programmers later. Their models can do stuff that bit-pushers like me will always struggle with. 10-15 years from now they'll run everything, and you won't be able to code a helloworld without specifying a ML model.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

NihilCredo posted:

there has been only one so far, hasn't there?

helena bonham carter, cbe

nancy reagan

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Standish posted:

oceanghost 2 hours ago | parent | context | favorite | on: What the Hell Is Up with Dilbert?

Yep. I was once advised by HR to "try not to offend anyone." I asked the HR woman, "How do I know what offends any particular person?"

She looked genuinely stumped.

in fairness if someone asked me this I’d probably give them a confused look but not for the reason this guy thinks

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

kitten emergency posted:

in fairness if someone asked me this I’d probably give them a confused look but not for the reason this guy thinks

I can't imagine even talking with HR beyond the on-boarding during my first day.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i assume he was talking to hr because someone complained to hr about him and that was the moment where the hr person realized he was an idiot

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I need someone's own personal EULA before I engage with them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MononcQc posted:

I need someone's own personal EULA before I engage with them

ah, a googler

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
LeonTheremin 6 hours ago [flagged] [dead] | parent | prev | next [–]

>schizophrenic product management
Probably because good employees are driven away by Electronic Harassment (schizophrenia is fake and the real issue is beaming AM signals to people's heads and bodies to hurt them until they submit to Mind Control).

I can introduce you to one such ex-employee if you want. Happens a lot more than people think and Microsoft itself is clueless still.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

DARPA posted:

I can't imagine even talking with HR beyond the on-boarding during my first day.

if you're a functional human being, you probably started to figure out how to not offend people slightly before you were a teenager. like, even if you had way more to learn, that's where it should have loving started

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Plorkyeran posted:

LeonTheremin 6 hours ago [flagged] [dead] | parent | prev | next [–]

>schizophrenic product management
Probably because good employees are driven away by Electronic Harassment (schizophrenia is fake and the real issue is beaming AM signals to people's heads and bodies to hurt them until they submit to Mind Control).

I can introduce you to one such ex-employee if you want. Happens a lot more than people think and Microsoft itself is clueless still.

Redmond Syndrome.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

HN truly has A Guy for everything.

quote:

gkbrk 4 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

> If you can, require HTTP/2.0. Bots break.

Non-bots break as well. I have Firefox configured to use HTTP/1.1 only.

No reason to chase Google's standard-of-the-day, HTTP/1.1 has worked for ages and it will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

tracecomplete posted:

HN truly has A Guy for everything.

Is HTTP/2.0 a google thing? I thought the thing Google was trying to push was QUIC?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

HTTP/2 is derived from SPDY, which was a Google thing. QUIC is an underlying UDP-based layer developed by Google that's being used by HTTP/3 and is largely "HTTP/2 over QUIC".

HTTP/2 added multiplexing over TCP, which was better but had bad failure conditions; HTTP/3 mostly improves things by doing multiplexing in the application rather than relying on TCP, and by so doing reduces data loss/retransmission for unreliable (read: mobile) clients and nontrivially reduces latency for most clients. It is a good thing for everyone, not just Google.

That particular A Guy is...uh...very A Guyish.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

if only the gains in latency wouldn’t be eaten up immediately by javascript and ads

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
that’s why all you actually need is HTTP/1.1, if you block ads and turn off JavaScript everything is plenty fast

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

eschaton posted:

that’s why all you actually need is HTTP/1.1, if you block ads and turn off JavaScript everything is plenty fast

Fast to show you a blank screen most of the time

mystes
May 31, 2006

Even faster if you turn off your monitor

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Armitag3 posted:

Fast to show you a blank screen most of the time

and nothing of value was lost

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's just really funny that he's claiming "HTTP/1.1 has worked for ages and it will continue to do so for the foreseeable future" literally in response to someone encouraging switching off support for HTTP/1.1

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

some guy on HN complaining about how easy it is to get banned/probed on SA today, with a strong intimation from his comment history that it's because he's a chud

face us, coward!!

4lokos basilisk posted:

if only the gains in latency wouldn’t be eaten up immediately by javascript and ads

block better, friend

(my only tryhard home technology is an always-on VPN for mobile/laptop and so everything is piholed, it is wonderful.)

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
http 2 was basically not worth anyone’s time. it’s massively more complex and its main feature (multiplexing) makes tail latency much worse due to head-of-line blocking.

http/3 and quic on the other hand is a genuine improvement and the web will be better off for it

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

tracecomplete posted:

block better, friend

(my only tryhard home technology is an always-on VPN for mobile/laptop and so everything is piholed, it is wonderful.)

i too have pihole set up and i browse with ublock origin.

websites are still
bloaty imo because a lot of the functionality is tied to javascript libraries doing something in an overcomplicated manner while what i really care about is images and text.

sure, janitoring every website’s js imports and scripts one by one can get better results but this is not a viable way of life for 99.99% of internet users

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

tracecomplete posted:

some guy on HN complaining about how easy it is to get banned/probed on SA today, with a strong intimation from his comment history that it's because he's a chud

link, or would that be touching the poop?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

4lokos basilisk posted:

websites are still
bloaty imo because a lot of the functionality is tied to javascript libraries doing something in an overcomplicated manner while what i really care about is images and text.
I hear this a lot and tbh don't see it all that often. My new laptop is a future computer from beyond the moon but before that my normal browsing machine was a 2014 MBP and it's capital-F Fine; if I'm on my 2008 MBP (dedicated Logic Pro machine usually) it's definitely slow but that computer is also ancient. I build pretty heavy web frontend stuff, but generally using tools that tend to minimize the load at any given time--Svelte's pretty cool, it does not send JS down the wire for static elements, it's growing on me. (nextjs can go in the bin.)

You can totally make a monster of a website that's actually slow to use but I just don't see them in the wild very often? The worst offender on my computer is gmail, as it has been pretty much since gmail was invented. I wouldn't be surprised if this experience isn't representative, but sites' JS loads just don't impact my personal experience very much.

Neito posted:

link, or would that be touching the poop?

It's in here, the full "SA should have gone for recurring revenues" subthread is a time: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=32339314

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

tracecomplete posted:

I hear this a lot and tbh don't see it all that often. My new laptop is a future computer from beyond the moon but before that my normal browsing machine was a 2014 MBP and it's capital-F Fine; if I'm on my 2008 MBP (dedicated Logic Pro machine usually) it's definitely slow but that computer is also ancient.

maybe i am a grognard but “fine” is not “instantly blazing fast” which it should be at this point. stuff like rendering pure text and images should be blazing fast also on 10y old machines.

like one of the data points is http://www.csszengarden.com: does your js interactive website load as fast and react as snappily as some of those pure css examples? probably not

maybe my impression is also colored by being in the eu and yeah loading websites based in the us will never be as fast. even more so when i do it on mobile

im absolutely a grognard though

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

4lokos basilisk posted:

maybe i am a grognard but “fine” is not “instantly blazing fast” which it should be at this point. stuff like rendering pure text and images should be blazing fast also on 10y old machines.

like one of the data points is http://www.csszengarden.com: does your js interactive website load as fast and react as snappily as some of those pure css examples? probably not

maybe my impression is also colored by being in the eu and yeah loading websites based in the us will never be as fast. even more so when i do it on mobile

im absolutely a grognard though

And for me a page that slowly loads different parts of the screen is a lot more frustrating that waiting a moment for backend loading and then displaying everything. It's so common now that a page loads elements at random and it can be easy to misclick because things jump around or you may see the content but it's unresponsive until it loads a ton of functionality.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lobsterminator posted:

And for me a page that slowly loads different parts of the screen is a lot more frustrating that waiting a moment for backend loading and then displaying everything. It's so common now that a page loads elements at random and it can be easy to misclick because things jump around or you may see the content but it's unresponsive until it loads a ton of functionality.

the contrast here on sa is so stark lol. each page loads completely in under a second... except for all the twitter, youtube, and tiktok embeds which when make the page unusable for the next 10 seconds while they all inject and load their loving SPAs and analytics framework garbage.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
HTTPs 2 and 3 are stupid poo poo for idiots the hackernoid had a broken clock moment

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
QUIC and HTTP3 are extremely google-quality ideas: let's break a universally accepted standard and gently caress up an untold amount of existing infrastructure so we can squeeze out mild performance gains in the use cases google cares about

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

what if we took library-level components in multiple languages, and made them also have to reimplement TCP as well

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
they should simply make dedicated javascript accelerator cards that you put into your computer

easy peasy

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
from working in HTTP proxy support for far too long, the main hallmarks of http/2 and http/3 is that their implementations are both much stricter than http/1.1 and do gently caress all to provide detailed errors. everything's just GENERIC_PROTOCOL_ERROR and you gotta just squint at the request log to try and determine that it's specifically that the content-length is mismatched or the server included a Host header in their response. you'd think that google would be able to track common stack traces and fill out the error details with their whole near-monopoly on desktop web clients but nope, the only way you're figuring that out is digging through the chromium or firefox source

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

they should simply make dedicated javascript accelerator cards that you put into your computer

easy peasy

Don't AMD microprocessors have dedicated instructions for "cast 64-bit floats to 32-bit signed ints, do binary arithmetic, cast the 32-bit signed int result back to 64-bit float", which is how binary operators work on numbers in JavaScript? Or something like that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Doom Mathematic posted:

Don't AMD microprocessors have dedicated instructions for "cast 64-bit floats to 32-bit signed ints, do binary arithmetic, cast the 32-bit signed int result back to 64-bit float", which is how binary operators work on numbers in JavaScript? Or something like that...

idk about amd but arm64 has something along those lines, although it's much more limited in scope than what you describe (just a specialized float->sint32 conversion which does everything exactly the way a JS interpreter or jit would prefer it to)