Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

mystes posted:

v3rt3x 18 hours ago

Or they just don’t want to… I love my kids but I would prefer work to the tedium of dealing with small children or an infant any day. Most men I know just aren’t wired with the ability to tolerate child care. The last few years of “wokeness” can’t undo a few hundred thousand years of evolutionary biology.

:biotruths:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

"I love my children but holy poo poo is spending time with them intolerable." -hn posters

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Babies can be adorable but man they don't give a lot back. They whine, they poo poo, they sleep and this slowly gives way to smiles, exploration, and play, but the first year is tough especially if you're the primary carer. Everyone has a legitimate reason to dislike childcare but, yeah, making it biotruth immediately consigns your opinion to the bin.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

quote:

Ask HN: Why is machine learning easier to learn than basic social skills?

154 points by btheshoe 1 day ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 170 comments

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I guarantee you that person doesn't actually understand machine learning.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

I guarantee you that person doesn't actually understand machine learning.

a safe bet since it remains generally poorly understood even with some progress happening here and there.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
tryptophan 2 hours ago | parent | next [–]

I kind of wonder why there hasnt been an "uber for bus" yet.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

ultrafilter posted:

I guarantee you that person doesn't actually understand basic social skills.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I came very close to saying "rust evangelism strike force" at work the other day

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
btw what happened to n-gate? last post was from august last time i checked?

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
even after 3 months of no updates, i still check n-gate about as often as i check hn itself

mystes
May 31, 2006

Switzerland posted:

btw what happened to n-gate? last post was from august last time i checked?
Delete cascade only updates it when people complain

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

update n-gate you fucj

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
xwdv 6 hours ago | parent | next [–]

It definitely isn’t. There’s so many more millionaires out there now. It’s not a big deal anymore, I expect most people will become millionaires at some point in their life, probably 30s. I hit a million 3 years ago and have already doubled that. 8 figures is the new goal.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

WalterBright 2 days ago | parent | prev | next [–]

In Seattle anyway, 90% of the homeless are either drug addicts or alcoholics. Becoming one is a choice under your control, not god smiting you.

is this loving clown for real

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
anything walter bright writes about computer things is very worth reading, and anything he writes about non-computer things is very not worth reading

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

matti posted:

WalterBright 2 days ago | parent | prev | next [–]

In Seattle anyway, 90% of the homeless are either drug addicts or alcoholics. Becoming one is a choice under your control, not god smiting you.

is this loving clown for real

I'm a ~~lifestyle~~ alcoholic tyvm

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

pphysch 19 minutes ago | prev [–]

If you want to keep vertically scaling the internet as an engaging virtual experience, Zuckerberg is your guy. Once the "Metaverse" launches in a meaningful sense, the masses will stop caring about cryptocurrencies/NFTs and start caring about whatever virtual goods and markets and experiences emerge on that platform.
For me, the internet is getting more interesting because it is increasingly materialized. It is unbelievable that we can deploy a fleet of battery-powered flying robots, linked over 5G and sharing intelligence while pathing with superhuman precision.
It's sad that in America, IoT/smart cities were more or less a temporary fad, probably having to do with cultural opposition to "surveillance" and low standards of governance. We've only scratched the surface with what's possible with it.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

jd115 33 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

No, the difference is that social media has been very successfully weaponised, by the nation-state/mafia syndicates which communism gave birth to. So successfully, in fact, that it has made traditional warfare practically obsolete.
The social networks of today are to the world what the "Pravda" newspaper was to the Eastern Bloc in the 20th century. A weapon of mass subversion.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

bawolff 11 days ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: IBM unveils 127-qubit quantum processor

That's kind of like saying, i'm tired of political news - if we all actually die in a nuclear holocaust armegedon it will be hard to miss.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=29387264

lol what a clusterfuck of cattiness especially in the first subthread

Also random cameo besides those CEOs -

eganist 40 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

worth noting that the parent comment was flagged to death 4 minutes after posting and vouched what, a half hour later?

Anyway, I sent this to the comment author via email, but the best I can do in public is link to https://www.blackburncenter.org/post/on-believing-victims

Context: I run r/Relationship Advice.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

on the one hand, gently caress stripe, but on the other hand i wouldnt want to hire that guy either

danrocks 20 days ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: The Polarization Spiral

> It may not surprise you to learn that the Devoted Conservatives were the whitest of all seven groups (88% white), but would you have expected that the Progressive Activists were the second whitest (80%)?
I am surprised that the author is surprised by this fact about the Progressive Activists. In my FAANG employer, the people who are always most offended, making denunciations of racism, sexism, -ism, etc. are highly educated whites. One of them told me in all seriousness that no white people should be allowed to do yoga or own yoga studios.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fritz posted:

One of them told me in all seriousness that no white people should be allowed to do yoga or own yoga studios.

:yeah:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

very surprising how being immune to consequences makes people more likely to speak up and at least ostensibly take activist positions on things.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

fritz posted:

no people should be allowed to do yoga or own yoga studios.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

very surprising how being immune to consequences makes people more likely to speak up and at least ostensibly take activist positions on things.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

white people are all cultural appropriation all of the time

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

carry on then posted:

white people are all cultural appropriation all of the time

but we also have flaws

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

i can't decide whether this person is amazing, terrible or both

throwawaysleep 30 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

I just never stop interviewing. Keeps your leetcode skills up and you can easily carve out time with silent quality increases.

If you aren’t going to be there in a year, fake the code review.

silicon2401 19 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

I'm curious, do you not have any hobbies or better things to do than interview? Interviewing when I want a new job is already difficult enough with how much I have going on

throwawaysleep 10 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

I am usually taking it out of work time, usually in the form of code approvals that I barely read or just ctrl+f for console.logs.

If I have an interview, all code that day is going through.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/1465930669897494530

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/fWbFr6D.jpg

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

except the chad time thief doesn't spend the time on job interviews

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Qwertycoatl posted:

i can't decide whether this person is amazing, terrible or both

throwawaysleep 30 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

I just never stop interviewing. Keeps your leetcode skills up and you can easily carve out time with silent quality increases.

If you aren’t going to be there in a year, fake the code review.

silicon2401 19 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

I'm curious, do you not have any hobbies or better things to do than interview? Interviewing when I want a new job is already difficult enough with how much I have going on

throwawaysleep 10 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

I am usually taking it out of work time, usually in the form of code approvals that I barely read or just ctrl+f for console.logs.

If I have an interview, all code that day is going through.

they are correctly optimizing their life based upon market rewards

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

[url]https://i.imgur.com/fWbFr6D.jpg[/ url]
shameful

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

literally me @ start of career vs now

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
guscost 2 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Crypto unlikely to survive as investment if unregulated. SEC chairman says

1. They ignore you

2. They mock you

3. They fight you <- You are here

4. You win!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Mr.Radar posted:

guscost 2 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Crypto unlikely to survive as investment if unregulated. SEC chairman says

1. They ignore you

2. They mock you

3. They fight you <- You are here

4. You win!

lol, this clown thinks he's Galileo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
galileo was persecuted for his ideas

and so am i

therefore,

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i enjoyed looking at this meme on company time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Carl Sagan posted:

But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.