Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
love the phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
face it, “rust evangelism strike force” is a stroke of goddamn genius and you’re jealous you didn’t come up with it

(I’m willing to admit that I am)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

yeah like I’ve been trying to bootstrap some modern quality-of-life stuff on Irix and the dependency trees for real software aren’t actually that wide

like curl with many optional features enabled might have on the order of one dozen dependencies

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what are you using for a toolchain

still mipspro?

yeah it’s fine for C since nothing requires C11, only C99

for C++ though I tried the sgi.sh GCC 8.2 and couldn’t seem to build CMake with it

so I’m looking at what it’ll take to make clang+lld happen; it turns out that might actually be the easiest, if I can figure out what about the ELF files lld emits is crashing Irix’s runtime loader

then I’ll just need to add mips-sgi-elf-n64 as a recognized target tuple and everything should just work

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

the average hackernews thinks of themselves as a temporarily embarrassed Enki

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I’m surprised they don’t recognize nihongo as the one true pure language

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

if a billionaire wants you to consider their position and issues they should pay you to do so

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

sansnomme 4 hours ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: The Higher States of Bromine

You know, philanthropists really need to invest in higher level free education for non-CS sciences. We have tons of free resources with tremendously beautiful animations on data structures and state-of-the-art machine learning, but the same can't be said for bio and chemistry.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

you don’t have to figure out how to parallelize poo poo you just punt that to compiler developers

there’s your allure

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Penisface posted:

this keeps sounding like the sheep look up by john brunner, which is not a good omen

exactly why everyone needs to read it

make it part of the curriculum

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

yes but are you wearing the right kind of shoes?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

it’s almost like that last one is suggesting that the workers should own the means of production

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

or religion for that matter

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

we just need to “big data” this so we can use machine learning

someone put a sprint plan on the wiki

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

isn’t that basically today? it’s not like anyone programs in BLISS or PL/I or Pascal any more, the other C-equivalent systems languages have gone to eternal rest, it’s basically the only language in its niche now

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

lancemantis posted:

Minmaxing nerds would kill themselves with that poo poo

you’re not making a strong argument against here

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

they can demonstrate lifting themselves up by their bootstraps there

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

maximizing our happiness, as one might say

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

he should try a superglue that dissolves with alcohol

that way there’s no risk of accidentally busting the tape and opening his mouth back up at night

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

right, they’re just crypto-fascists

completely different

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

there’s the whole Lindsey Graham thing where it sure looks like he was blackmailed into supporting Trump

not because anyone on the right would care about him being a hypocrite, but because the right won’t vote for an out gay man

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

that’s hello.jpg isn’t it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

salisbury shake posted:

hn painting everyone priced out of housing as drug addicted or mentally ill is one of my pet peeves.

wait until you discover Nextdoor

Nextdoor makes Hacker News look woke

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

i support rounding up the homeless people and putting them in institutions as long as i get to pick the institution.

i propose a nice clean safe apartment of their own, or failing that, jeff bezos' house

but then they’d be getting something for nothing! we can’t have that

better to spend tens of thousands of dollars per year per homeless person administering programs intended to help them, so that money can go to people who work for it

right?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

I can't believe what he wrote it!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

the hackers are trying to explain X11 to our own X11 expert

eschaton fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 19, 2020

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

but nbsd uses it all day every day at work

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

imagine carrying all those printers

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

titaniumone posted:

Libertarians silicon valley nerds have a serious brain disease

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

kitten emergency posted:

i can believe that someone wrote this but it fills me with a sense of pity i cant quite describe

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

you should do your quantum stuff in lisp

see if you can create an object system within the CLOS MOP to represent your stuff straightforwardly

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

DaTroof posted:

don't be afraid to refuse one of those "all your code are belong to us" agreements. i've never had an employer drop me when i argued against it

I’ve never had one willing to change it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

AFashionableHat posted:

I can't tell if HN's idiot parade flagged me for saying that "Facebook may not support hate but is apparently okay with it" or for noting that they don't do anything about right-wing hate speech all over the platform, but both are funny.

aren’t you supposed to link it if you mention your own HN post or comment in this thread

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Truman Peyote posted:

drat i knew schools in the US were underfunded but no books about history????

they might be controversial and wind up causing all sorts of parent meetings

since conservatives get all aggressive about cancelling anything that doesn’t fit their worldview, like accurate history, especially about the United States

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

how about the color grading on those commercials eh

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

sometimes I wonder how early 1980s DEC would develop things like k8s

hell they probably had something built atop VAXcluster for making reliable transaction processing apps

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

its probably actually because FAAMG isn't pronouncible

but AMGAF is and is in order of importance too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

that’s our Shaggar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

lobsterminator posted:

You could still do a lot of the things you do in life on a Commodore 64 over telnet if you just had good APIs or protocols and dropped images.

amen

the only problem with that is really the crypto, and you can offboard that to a RPi or ESP or whatever; on anything slower than a Pentium, you should probably be using a TLS library that uses a separate channel controller to handle crypto, and interpose that between the retro system’s network and the rest

(Thomas Cherryholmes spammed the retro world about doing just that with his FujiNet thing on Atari 8-bit a few days ago)