Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

"I am Albino. You wish to see me?"

fart simpson posted:

the west still has a huge blind spot for stuff originating outside western culture. im sure it’s better now but it kinda feels like even like, foreign news correspondents based in the “east” operate on a cliffsnotes level of knowledge and understanding of the local culture

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/karlsharro/an-ancient-land-beset-by-ancient-rivalries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

BobHoward posted:

maybe? i got that impression by skimming some posts on their forums, but I rechecked just now and found a post referencing ‘the os port’ and mention of a desire to get a microkernel running as a way to bootstrap one of the hybrid linux/uC operating systems. so, idk

as it always is with the mill, half the posts are ivan godard (the gandalf-rear end mf’er in their youtubes who is the impetus behind the project) being vague and tantalizing, both about exactly what mill is and what they’re doing, so you can read almost anything you want into what he’s saying

also don’t go to their forums, they’re the saddest forums

being vague and tantalizing is career security for greybeards like this because they can never make it or understand what is going on in the broader industry enough to be a productive part so they invent their time cube world that they can be a master of. luckily for them, popular culture has done half their work for them so they can attract a follower base by just acting the part of wise old white guy

see also: conservatives

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

fritz posted:

candiodari 3 hours ago [-]

The main limit on plant growth is exactly that: a shortage of CO2 in the atmosphere. Yes, shortage. Will this actually make a difference with the plants starved of CO2, as opposed to a CO2-enriched atmosphere in the lab ?
(obviously I mean from the perspective of a plant that wants to grow faster, what matters from a global perspective can and probably will be different)
e.g. https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2012/10/25/contrary...

(note: the link is to a blogpost titled "Contrary To What You Hear, Global Warming Has Been Good To Africa" by the president of the "spark of freedom foundation" and was formerly federalist society associated)

this reminds me of matt ridley's book "the rational optimist" which handwaves climate change away with "all these disaster projections are based on the assumption that current growth continues... so if climate turns to poo poo, the growth will not continue and therefore it's not a problem" :downs:

it makes sense sort of until you start thinking about what the words really mean, so ideal content for superficial reassurement that "it's ok because smart man in book says that it's ok"

matt ridley is a hereditary peer who owns stock in coal

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

MononcQc posted:

the few farmers I know here are kind of looking forwards to the longer growing season we'd get here, though they're constantly surprised by the increase in pesticides and insecticides required as milder winters make pests and insects able to come up further north, and they more and more frequently get burned by longer droughts and more violent storms compared to what used to be milder frequent rains.

Storms have too much rainfall in a short period of time so that the water isn't properly absorbed by the soil and it tends to wash away part of the topsoil or its nutrients and droughts are always problematic when most farmers here never really needed any sort of irrigation and aren't ready for it.

Unpredictable weather around season starts and ends have also played badly with early freezes and the inability to properly dry grain and fertilize before the first snow covers, or getting an early start on germination in spring only for a few cold nights to kill major parts of the crop.

More frequent floods around spring is also forcing some farmers further south in the province to consider switching to more permanent crops that would help prevent soil erosion.

They really like (or liked?) that prospect of longer growing season, but afaict they're starting to realize it's not gonna be smooth sailing at all and that their choices of crops will grow more limited with new unpredictable and rougher events.

this keeps sounding like the sheep look up by john brunner, which is not a good omen

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

MononcQc posted:

as far as I can tell there are lots of efforts being made towards things such as regenerative agriculture, bio crops, etc. mostly it’s a transition period towards different agricultural methods and crops that might be more familiar with what people already do down south but weren’t necessarily a concern here.

I’m not necessarily worried about our ability to produce crops, it’s people down south (US and MX) who are already very dependent on irrigation from over stressed aquifers that may see the biggest hardships and shifts to crops that play better with lower water availability.

For me in somewhat mid northern Quebec, that probably mostly means a lower availability of veggies and fruits in winter over the next many decades, something my grandparents had to contend with, and a return to a diet more focused on grains/beans and livestock fed with grains and beans since they keep far longer during seasons where nothing grows.

i.e the bigger threat, as long as pollination remains possible, is likely the lack of adaptation in crop and culture methods that can accelerate dust bowl scenarios. But even dust bowl scenarios can be prevented if you grow the right crops that prevent soil erosion and other techniques (drip irrigation rather than more demanding forms, tree-based wind barriers, etc).

yeah if you put it this way it is easy to see that "efforts are being made" and "scenarios can be prevented", but what i am worried about is that increasingly the cycle seems to be:
1. we know problem exists
2. we know how to solve problem
3. we do jack poo poo to actually mitigate
4. problem becomes worse, goto 1

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

it's basically a gamble hoping that when the critical mass realizes that "we have to fix things radically NOW" the outcome is not mass panic and collapse but treating it like a war situation where everyone understands that sacrifices have to be made for the common good

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

ah yes, we have a deploy process that i understand involves putting together our software as rpm packages

we also have code camouflaged as config to get around the fact that we need to be able to deploy updates quickly for different service configurations :)

i am holding my breath at the moment but i get the feeling that some incredibly good life decisions have been made in the past

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

got to love the brainworms that make you think that you are doing good by giving someone tHe FreEdOm oF ChOiCe between no food and poisoned food

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

FMguru posted:

i can think of a thousand ways your job could treat you with more contempt

just from basic retail: dress codes, bag searches, clock in and out, hours changing from week to week, strict limits on bathroom breaks, and on and on

yea not a lot of jobs going around where you get to sit in an air conditioned room, music playing on your headphones and your task is essentially to write a bunch of text documents AND get paid several multiples of the median salary

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

suffix posted:

i've started on a react/nodejs spa with communication through websockets, bootstrap with some custom css for branding, i'm thinking maybe two weeks for productionizing, running super lean

i've stubbed in some detection code for now, does anyone know what's a good dna sequencer you can call from javascript?

code:
function hasCovid19(patientId) {
  // todo: hire a bioengineer to check this
  // later: can machine learning help here?
  return shell.execute("grep -R $COVID19SEQUENCE /data/" + patientId + "/all_detected_dna/")
}

looks nice - you just need to cast result to bool and you're good to go

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

bill gates spent millions on pointless a mosquito killing robot nobody really needs while having the wealth to bring clean water and sanitation to large parts of the world.

like you know they tell you to wash your hands frequently.. how is that solution going to work out in places that have no access to clean water?

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

looking at the bill and melinda gates foundation wiki page shows that they have actually dropped like 21 billion over 10 years on what appear to be necessary things but then you scroll down and

quote:

The foundation trust invests undistributed assets, with the exclusive goal of maximizing the return on investment. As a result, its investments include companies that have been criticized for worsening poverty in the same developing countries where the foundation is attempting to relieve poverty.[80][165] These include companies that pollute heavily and pharmaceutical companies that do not sell into the developing world.[166] In response to press criticism, the foundation announced in 2007 a review of its investments to assess social responsibility.[167] It subsequently canceled the review and stood by its policy of investing for maximum return, while using voting rights to influence company practices.[168][169]

Critics have called on the Gates Foundation to divest from the GEO Group, the second-largest private prison corporation in the United States. A large part of the prison's work involves incarcerating and detaining migrants that have been detained by the Obama administration and now the Trump administration.[170][171][172] In spring 2014 the Gates Foundation acknowledged its $2.2 million investment in the prison corporation.[173] It has more recently rebuffed critics' request that it sever investment ties with the prison corporation. It has refused to comment on whether it is continuing its investments.[170][174]

i guess the game is once again to invest and make money from horrible and despicable stuff, and then drop some of the gains to charitable causes to keep up appearances

and someone had a good point - even though billg has donated so much of his wealth somehow he is now richer than when he decided to get into charity. magic

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

hey, why not scale this approach for any sufficiently difficult disease? we could have some statistics thing AI deciding if it would be optimal to attempt to treat the patient given their condition and current hospital congestion status, and decide if the percentage of success is high enough.

maybe we could also train the AI to decide if a person is also not good enough with their finances, work skills and it would take too much resources of to help them out of it

this could really "optimise" our society

i can see no far reaching consequences what so ever

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

fritz posted:

my understanding is at stanford any idiot professor who wants to can teach a class that fulfills the ethics requirement

ethics in video game journalism 101

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

the world would be a better place without these people in it.

hoping that the pandemic won't end in a way that they can just emerge unaffected from their comfy home offices and claim how tough this all was for them personally which means that their strong rational genius brains are obviously a sign of superior adjustment to a bad environment

"come on what's the problem, just work from home and get food delivered" should be the new "let them eat cake"

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

poor people should just die, they are losers in the game of evolution (not political)

landlords should follow their own advice and save money too (political)

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

also let's not forget that whatever the death rate with/without lockdown is, the amount of people who end up with damaged lungs and potentially less healthy years lived will be many many times more. either way we are looking at disaster

i am going to argue that with the lockdown, we have a better chance that we can focus on helping the poor/disadvantaged and the essential workers.

if we decided to rough it without a lockdown, you can bet your rear end that anyone who is barely rich enough, will self-isolate as well as they can, homeschool their kids and if they get infected, it's their money that will buy them a bed and treatment. there will just be too many sick people and we are going to have triage and death panels just like in italy when it got rough. i think it would quite rapidly create an atmosphere of "every man/woman for themselves", not to mention royally loving over anyone who is in need of other types of medical assistance

with a lockdown, at least we can get a handle on the disease and start re-opening things gradually when it is deemed safe and lock it back down when there are issues

i don't really give a poo poo about people missing a year from their education or something like that. even kids got to understand that what's going on is quite exceptional and do their learning over zoom or at home. after all this lost year (more likely lost summer vacation) is a shared societal experience

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

Xik posted:

toomuchtodo 7 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: Show HN: Free foreign exchange rates API

Wouldn’t it be more reliable to ask the ECB to support JSON alongside xml? Or require them to provide JSON by law? Shims are fine, but technical debt. Fix the problem at the source.

sambe 7 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: Show HN: Free foreign exchange rates API

You'd enshrine in law a particular technical format? What is the cost of making such a law vs the cost of a different - but still very much usable - format?

toomuchtodo 7 hours ago [-]

I would, with lifecycle and sunsetting requirements. Laws are requirements docs with more ceremony and stakeholder participation, but also with much more authority.

json, famously the data type that has absolutely no documented issues with accurate representation of floating point numbers and whose serialization/deserialization libraries are known to have consistent and correct implementations across languages and platforms

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

in their infinite wisdom never once did they stop and think to research how long even a successful supermodel career lasts vs how long you can easily rack up the figgies at a computer toucher job

and what are your options after that career is done, if you did not want to marry some creepy rich guy

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

alexandriao posted:

idk man, you can learn other skills while camming / posting lewds. It's not like you can't touch computers and touch yourself on cameras on the same day.

that's a level 2 argument

op did not even get past beyond level 0 where they compared monthly earnings without thinking about how many months their career could last

besides i am not sure how much cammers do work usually. i would assume it gets quite close to a full time, because they need to be in good physical shape and deal with production, probably hire assistants as well just like the big youtube channels have teams behind them

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Taibbi went into such a steep and deep decline and he's gotten weirdly Pro-Putin of late (I've heard it rumored they have kompromat on him from his younger days in and around Moscow)?

:shrug:

people unironically using the word 'kompromat' are not to be taken seriously. you can do this

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

i guess if stuff made with gpt-3 is indistinguishable enough from "magic" for a big enough number of people then we have our AI panacea, case closed

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

this sounds like a loving wikipedia page title

it could be in regular wikipedia too

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

also, only deaths matter. long term health complications and decrease in years lived healthily does not matter at all, because it is impossible to directly convert it into an concrete integer statistic that a hackernews could parse

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

alexandriao posted:

we should not work around bad thing with public policy

* lists a bunch of public policy proposals *

i am very smart

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

alexandriao posted:

I think I misread the post within the context, because when I wrote that it very much read like that poster was advocating against putting public health solutions in place (You know, better education, easier access to testing and cures), and instead putting propaganda-like (wrong word, but I'm having difficulty thinking of the right one at the moment) restrictions in place.

I don't think you can significantly reduce the incidence of casual sex by alone changing the representation of casual sex in popular media because it's only addressing a fraction of the cause, and ignoring all of the material circumstances that lead people to those sorts of decisions. Public image and education is only part of the problem, I think (although I'm pulling the rest of this sentence outta my rear end) that a lot of the reasons people choose casual sex is out of a tendency towards risk-taking, that comes from not seeing a future for yourself.

Anyway, I think you'll get *some reduction*, but this is the exact same choice you see with abstinence based sex education, which has been shown repeatedly not to work.

Because in regards to a health crisis, investing money in public policy to change the media people see, is always going to lose out versus investing that same money in actually solving the problem directly and providing better and more accessible healthcare to adults.

sorry, i was riffing on the hn post you quoted, not your take on it

i mean the post went basically like "oh no public policy is a bad workaround, we should fix the root cause" and then basically went on to list a bunch of public policy ideas completely unaware that they are contradicting themselves

imo it's actually effective to change the media people see through public policy, because the drinks industry would not have the ads if they were not effective!

i would not chuck this in the same bucket as education, because i think education ought to try and present an objective view of the situation i.e. drinks are bad bad bad but we like them so here is a way to play the game as safely as possible. and you do not want your education to be so full of poo poo so that a kid can see through it immediately which destroys their trust in the information you gave them (cf the usual drug scare in schools or abstinence based sex ed)

ads are different because it's a bunch of really calculated psychological mind fuckery to get your head to associate thing with cool thing and make you want it

i might even say regulating media depictions of alcohol has more useful results than upping some vice taxation or reducing availability, because i saw how finnish people just started hitting the shops in estonia when their booze got too expensive (and estonian people started shopping in latvia), i.e. this stuff just creates a black/grey market really quickly. in estonia it was actually really counterproductive because people were starting to drink less, but once it became necessary to do huge stock up raids, numbers went back up because if you buy in bulk you also buy more to have a rainy day cache it turns out

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

Jabor posted:

you think the locals forced out of their homes by rising rents are profiting from an increase in their landlord's property values?

ah but you see in this case the renters could take advantage of the rising house prices by taking out a loan to buy their own real estate and bet that the price increase will pay them back

bing bong so simple

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

also custom ads in each video kills the point of caching videos in content delivery networks

probably also required to reencode things a million times more

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

tracecomplete posted:

Modern streaming is a lot smarter than “here’s an MP4”. HLS and DASH are segmented. You cache the segments and dynamically generate the manifest either with EXT-X-DISCONTINUITY or by dynamically assembling segment lists (which you can cache by cohort or whatever to optimize) and you go get lunch.

As epitaph says it does make personalization somewhat more complex—you have to generate cohorts and targeting logic up front—but it’s not a difficult thing to do.

but in this case wouldn't it be trivial for me to figure out which segments are ads by streaming one video 2-3 times in parallel and ditching the segments that do not match (i.e. the parts of the video stream that are dynamic and probably ads)?

i admit i know jack poo poo about this but i still feel like it's not an easy thing to do technically, otherwise twitch et al would have already done it

ah well another snag in the plan is that you can not really click an ad served inside a video easily, so this messes with engagement probably

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

tracecomplete posted:

Oh, and in the near future we've got ways to make it so you can click on ads in videos, more or less. You've always been able to sort-of do it (YouTube has done callout cards forever) but stuff like program date/time makes syncing up events outside the player (translation: ads) much easier and players are adding more options for "rich content" (translation: ads) to provide you a more connected and immersive experience (translation: ads).

technology is amazing!

yeah but i am thinking that anything that feeds a video stream as we know it now to some consumer - be it youtube frontend, vlc, youtube-dl - basically can not force any "events" on the consumer. this requires a whole new video transmission protocol which makes the stream kind of like a dvd menu where you have the possibility to make the user interact with the video content

tracecomplete posted:

It's not quite that easy. In a sorta naive case yeah, you can do that, but now you need people to give you that data (that is, tell Mr. Adblock what porn they're watching) and then you need infrastructure to collate that information (because I assume you have sticky cohorts--I do not regret this phrase--so you show person X the same segments every time) and somebody has to pay for it. That will be expensive. Beyond that there are technical concerns, for example when dealing with streams with adaptive bitrates--who's to say that the video for rendition X wasn't re-encoded at a higher quality after ingest, that sort of thing. It's even pretty vulnerable to just renaming segment files' URLs. If you've already downloaded them and hashed them, that's a pretty big bandwidth hog and you run the risk of downloading the ad segments, throwing them away, and having to buffer the video instead of showing the ad.

(this is the industry I work in but I don't know anything in particular about my company or about serving ads in general)

the way i would try to implement this is that i would pre-fetch the segments and at first just train a neural network to look at the keyframes of every segment and try to guess if it's an ad or not. i guess crowdsourcing some ad signatures - haas transform vectors - would be easy and nobody needs to reveal what porn they watch

originally i thought that i would just try to fetch the same video from two different cdns to make it look like two different people are watching the same video, and then basically only keep the segments that match between the two but yeah idk if it would work

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

fritz posted:

YeGoblynQueenne 1 hour ago [–]

The article makes a very strenuous effort to make a point about something something racism in rock that sounds a bit boring and trite to my ears. After all, Bon Scott said it best years ago:
In the beginning
Back in nineteen fifty five
Man didn't know 'bout a rock 'n' roll show
And all that jive
The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news
(Although, Tchaikovsky? What the...?)
What I want to know is why young black Americans, do not, in their majority, do rock anymore. I get that the music industry always tries to control what gets airtime, but who needs the music industry today, and who needed the music industry in the past? If it was for the music industry, nobody would have heard of Jimi Hendrix- a black man with a guitar? That'll never sell!
Look at metal and how it took hold. Growing up in Athens, Greece, it seemed like every neighbourhood had a metal band and you would never know by looking at billboards, or even coverage in the metal press (a lackey of the music industry, if there ever was one). Euro kids took Rock from the Americans and ran with it and made something new, all ours, and all working class (see the early years of Sabbath and Priest in Manchester; remember the apocryphal story of Ozzy and Tony having one pair of good shoes between them and wearing them on alternate days to go out). Metal quickly became the authentic popular music of entire generations, without ever any need of mainstream acceptance. Metal grew from below, with no help from above and despite the disdainful snorts of mainstream music critics.
So why didn't the black grasroots ever sprout an analogous new rock scene, instead of turning towards the mainstream, big stage, light show, for-profit music that comes from black artists for the last few decades?
Why Rihana and Beyonce, rather than a new Jimi Hendrix? Female, even. Why is Rock 'n' Roll pretty much dead to black kids, nowadays?

even though i think this post is pretty much top shelf hn theorycrafting from first principles and personal experiences, i am going to go out on a limb and assume that even if there was a kind of underground counterculture that appealed to nonwhite folks, and if it was a kind of aggressive in your face thing like metal, then you bet it would be treated like some illegal violent gang stuff that needs to be outlawed and stamped down

in fact (i did not go and find what the original hn post was about) wasn't there a huge deal with disco music being the devil in 80s (because a lot of black people happened to like it)?

something like how people are now handwringing about sagging pants and headbands - even though metal/punk cultural attire is also frowned upon, if white people are practicing it, they don't get in trouble with law enforcement and other institutions of systemic racism.

besides a lot of metal has some uncomfortable white supremacist undercurrents imo. "why only white ppl listen to burzum" :allears:

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

Truman Peyote posted:

you mean like rap

yeah, although i never felt rap and the associated clothing style is so obviously aggressive-violent when compared to metal (leather, studs, spikes, etc.)

can't imagine a rap album titled kill em all either

i guess the difference is that metal is overt and direct in it's messaging, rap not so much really? i don't know too much about rap so i'll not hypothesize further

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

"if you don't want to be poor, you can always kill yourself. beep boop i have a superior intellect"

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

is this lobsters related to jorpy peterson's dumbass theories?

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

your honor the door was not locked and we shouldn’t have entered and taken all that stuff, but there were no rules written and stapled anywhere so you see it was ok to take the things because we were the first to be there

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

and since there was a 4 hour line i guess community resources were exploited just fine by the community (unless it was all piece of poo poo line jumpers)

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

sounds like a kind of person who spends their free time janitoring 40 different self hosted open source things that are alternatives to existing free services all the while thinking they are king poo poo of peak performance mountain

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

surely that person would not mind being passed over for promotion due to spending too much time posting on hn during working hours

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

rryizgr8 4 hours ago [–]

Even the phrase "labor camp" itself does not signify anything evil. In fact I'm wondering if such a place might be better than the usual government administered cities and towns.

tweaked this a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisface
Jul 17, 2008

i think this guys point is more like “people should not come to the office just because manager x can’t handle the situation at home / needs extroversion / whatever other ‘gut feeling’ about wfh”

ie forcing blanket rto and ignoring all the people who made it work well and enjoyed it instead of thinking if there could be a better way than “back to normal”