Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
It's not a deprecated insult, it's an opportunity for innovation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

eschaton posted:

that’s hello.jpg isn’t it

I'll never forget how shocked and horrified I was when I visited goatse.cx and realised hello.jpg wasn't on there anymore and it had been replaced with a stupid cryptocurrency scam.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yup. That's me.

I hate lovely band-aid code. I love perfection.

I'm Michelangelo - but that by definition makes me a loner. I love staring at my code and contemplate on it's beauty just like the result of the code working.

I'm perfect at one-man projects.

I hate processes, standups, scrums and all that team playing bullshit.

I love customers and bosses who are trusting and freedom giving.

I love beers, steaks, good food and team gatherings - and i love people whom i am "working" with - but everyone knows i am working on something that is NOT "let get this poo poo done quickly and push this out of the door by next friday". That's not me.

Although I'm the one my boss comes to with "i don't know how but can you do something about it tomorrow"? I'm good and super sharp focusing and delivering on my own. If i need help - I'll ask.

I'm all for skunkworks.

I debug my code myself, using techniques i polished myself over the years and I'll end up with lightbulb that will last 100 yrs. Not the one that cost $3 and requires full replacement after 3.5 weeks of light usage.

I try not to buy stuff made in China. I love stuff made in Europe or Japan.

So, don't push guys like me into your "processes" and "change managements" wasting pipeline bullshit.

I won't fit.

I speak at conferences. I do evil harmless things. I violate countless stupid compliance rules. I take risks no one knows about. I don't follow rules, and pretty much skip reading them when i can.

I do my best to deliver masterpieces. One piece at a time.

Downvote me.

This person smells.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Yeah social skills are a thing you can actively work at and improve, same as any skill. The real joke is, asking for help on Hacker News??

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
"You must defend Perl vigorously and verbosely" is a fundamental guiding principle of the programming language. See also that one StackOverflow answer which spends north of 3,500 words explaining how "🐪 goes out of its way to make Unicode easy, far more than anything else I’ve ever used", and helpfully includes the 49-line boilerplate script you need to use to make Perl work correctly with Unicode, which, by default, it does not.

Doom Mathematic fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 29, 2021

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

xtal posted:

I'm with them there, there shouldn't be an explicit skin tone in emojis, that's weird

The problem is that "yellow" doesn't unambiguously mean "no possible human skin tone", it pretty much means "white person". See The Simpsons, and Lego people before that. If all emojis had been pale green or pale blue from day one this would have been less of a thing, maybe.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
No, you see, it's a meaningless ratio because maintaining the blockchain would consume this much energy even if it were only performing 10 transactions per second globally,

it's more like 4

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Plorkyeran posted:

yeah it predates jp's lobster poo poo

every time i've looked at lobsters it's seemed indistinguishable from hn so i've never seen a point in continuing to look at it

Up until right now I thought it was just an HN mirror.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Wait. There's a whole secondary layer of awful HN posts which you're all rooting around in? For content for this thread?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
When I get back in the office I'm going to be constantly swinging my fists all around like this and if any of my coworkers get in my way it's their own fault.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
"I mean, if you know of any other way to make entertaining movies, I'd love to hear it."

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

man in the eyeball hat posted:

wherein we find out that not only are HN assholes about tipping, they're spineless about being assholes about tipping:

jonhohle 47 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

[The Zero Rupee Note is] cute, but has it really had the intended effect? I can’t imagine someone expecting a bribe to bat an eye at this.

Edit: That said, I’d love something like this for tips in restaurants when there service is below par. It would provide a passive aggressive way to let the server know their service was poor without drawing attention to them or you. It would be easy to slip into the rest of the tip.

This already exists, there are these fake $1 bills which unfold and it says something like "I'm giving you something much more valuable than money... the word of Jesus Christ!"

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Ask HN: How would you build a 1000 year Bandcamp?

djohnston 1 hour ago | prev [–]
Blockchain. Seriously.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Yeah. And right now, it's easy to lambast Google for having horrible gamed search results, but is it even theoretically possible to create an automated search ranking which can't be gamed? You're trying to outmaneuver the entire tech world.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

they should simply make dedicated javascript accelerator cards that you put into your computer

easy peasy

Don't AMD microprocessors have dedicated instructions for "cast 64-bit floats to 32-bit signed ints, do binary arithmetic, cast the 32-bit signed int result back to 64-bit float", which is how binary operators work on numbers in JavaScript? Or something like that...

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
[tinny voice from the bottom of the darkest pit of Hades] It's a slippery slope!

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Fine, just give everybody three months off every three years. Use that time to raise a baby or don't, up to you.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

man in the eyeball hat posted:

is there documentation that is entertaining for the reader? the thought of "fun" documentation just feels like its aiming for the front page of reddit

Documentation shouldn't try to be entertaining. It should be informative. People are potentially going to be reading your docs looking for concrete information under very stressful circumstances. It's not a good time to be fooling around.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
If it was really fully automated we wouldn't need to embrace it for it to work. :colbert:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Internet Janitor posted:

it took me about 5 minutes to create the worst font i've ever made, number_hell, which is monospaced except for the digits. arguably i did have to try, but not hard

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

npunt 31 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Think bigger.
"Driverless cars" are a technology that moves atoms without the need for people, a lot like how we move bits around today. There are innumerable benefits to moving the right atoms to the right places at the right time.
There are many form factors that moving atoms can take, only one of which looks like a car. The car is a good place to start for many reasons, including everyone needing transportation, existing infrastructure, existing culture, wasted time commuting, etc.
Now think about what comes after all "cars" are driverless. Their form factors change, roads change, infrastructure changes, proximity between people changes, life changes. Roads are like arteries that feed population centers, and if we can reconfigure them without worry about whether humans can keep up, we unlock whole new ways of living, almost like unlocking new organs with vastly different structures in the super-organism that is society.
The very story of life itself is evolving to move atoms around in new and more complex ways. This is one of the most fundamental and important techs we can invest in.

If this person is angling toward city-scale vacuum tube systems big enough to send like packages through then I'm on board.