Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

mystes posted:

xyzzy21 11 minutes ago [–]

It's easy to destroy something. But very hard to replicate its order and structure quickly, status quo ante.

This is why conservatives exist: they know this so their position is: "Think this plan through 3-20 more times first to make absolutely sure you know what you are getting into".

For some of us who'd spent time in the Middle East, we knew the invasion of Iraq was 1) based on bogus justification, and, 2) would end very badly. What actually happened was well within #2's range. And 100% predictable

conservatives are opposed to change which is why they don't want cuts to longstanding social programs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

LastInLine posted:

while i can tell this guy is awful by the fact that he calls it government without any article or adjective i will say that the argument of "when was the last time the american government did anything to help you" is a pretty compelling one

yes, it's almost as if the last forty years have been a nearly-uninterrupted slide into ruin after the dominant party began an explicit policy of dismantling the ability of the federal government to do anything to help people, and the submissive party decided not to do anything to stop it

but because i can't help myself, heres what came to mind first: 2011, when medicaid saved my son's life. shut the gently caress up

Nomnom Cookie fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 29, 2021

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

LastInLine posted:

you arent wrong and thats why the argument is compelling. if medicaid saved your kid then thank lbj because medicaid was a war on poverty initiative and idk if youve noticed but that happened 56 years ago now

what did i say

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

LastInLine posted:

that we are all doomed to die in the decaying remnants of empire lol

i said shut the gently caress up

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

if capitalism won't give us a 20 hour workweek, we'll make it ourselves

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the first post you quoted doesn't seem very ghoulish to me. it's just stating a fact: pension schemes are designed around a certain life expectancy, and as life expectancy increases so do pension obligations. in the USA, this means that various Medicare and Social Security trust funds will run out of money over the next few decades. they're explicitly not advocating for more cancer to keep life expectancy down (the hn-ish take here is to encourage smoking, as it tends to kill quickly and around the retirement age, so you get maximum economic benefit from a smoker while minimizing end-of-life medical expenses)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

except that thread is about Unsong which is legitimately, no-qualifiers-needed great

http://unsongbook.com/interlude-%D7%AA-trump/

i just looked at the toc and was like huh, so that's what 94 chapters of sucking your own dick looks like

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Hollow Talk posted:

The interesting bit is that an AI is more capable of having something resembling a conversation with and being helpful to a woman than most hn poster, op.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

LastInLine posted:

i am full of gibberish and can't stop talking

fixed it for ya

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

alexandriao posted:

yeah exactly

its libshit both-sidesism

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

labeling a person as literally an animal -> minor accidental insult

i went and looked at that "person"'s comment history and it is exactly as awful as you expect. i wanted to make a joke and now i can't. how on earth can hacker news mods think someone like that is a positive contributor to their community

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

dads friend steve posted:

jelliclesfarm 40 minutes ago [–]

This simply isn’t true. Women have always known how to terminate unwanted pregnancies safely. But that knowledge was lost when we advertised our sexual freedom in the name of feminism.
Birth rate has grown exponentially after the pill and various methods of medical termination. Women’s reproductive rights have become a cash cow and a political third rail. Not to mention religion.
Here is the best kept secret: we were always free. The secret was that women never let the others know about it. Now everything is ruined with ..what is it now?…fourth wave of feminism?

:shepface:

the woman’s body has a way of shutting things down if it’s not a legitimate pregnancy

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

is this what goons honestly believe lol

where are stymie and fishmech now

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

they are jealous of his posting energy

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

update n-gate you fucj

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i'm trying to assume as much positive intent as i possibly can when i say this: well, actuallying about slavery is always a bad look. at best you are acting like neil degrasse tyson

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Maximo Roboto posted:

It's called the Monkeysphere.

we don’t need to hear about your sex life

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i spent several years living and working in nova and transit was useless to me for just the reason described: i lived in a spoke and needed to commute to another spoke. dont know how you conclude "transit doesn't work" from that though. especially commuting baltimore to reston, thats gonna be hellish no matter what lol. "i keep pounding myself in the dick with this hammer, clearly the age of hand tools is over"

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Google says it's 1h 10m, is that realistic?

I had a 50-55m commute by car for a few years and it was tolerable, although not great and I moved as soon as I could afford it. But I'm a wimpy train-loving European, I thought Americans were used to driving a lot more.

double that if you leave at the wrong time of day. the capital beltway is hellish during rush hour. so if you want to live in baltimore and work 9-5 in reston plan on spending 20 hours a week commuting

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

if im working on the goddamn train then i better be starting my commute after 9 am

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Penisface posted:

what does that mean? are you working during your drive to work now?

im remote and yes if i think about work while walking from my kitchen to my couch i count those 10 seconds as on the clock

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sabine Hossenfelder’s blog is a real good resource if you want to know true things about MOND and other physics past the standard model btw

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

alexandriao posted:

I think this is a fair opinion if you have encountered corrupt unions. Like to me it reads as someone who would support unions but doesn't feel able to because they feel they are corrupt

nah it’s bullshit. like blaming poor people for being poor when they gently caress up at all, and rich people are allowed to do whatever stupid poo poo with their money and it’s fine. like if anti “corrupt unions” people are also anti corrupt businesses then that’s fine and I can respect their position. it’s dumb but I can respect it. that’s never the case though, it’s just holding unions to a higher standard than any other organization

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

mystes posted:

Isn't all that poo poo integrated in the cpu anyway now?
yeah for like 10 years now

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

now if only they'd stop putting all that first-party shovelware on macs they'd be halfway decent laptops

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

tracecomplete posted:

Drink it in.

are they trying to imply that progressive taxes arent justifiable

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

MononcQc posted:

yeah a lot of the generic issues come with the subtyping when you allow class hierarchies where the -variant types get in. The rest of it is pretty straightforwards in general.

java generics are a pretty good argument against rejecting generics due to complexity. cause theyre super complex and like ten people understand java generics fully and its fine. i still dont know what a lub is and yet i can make generic types just fine. some of them even had type parameters with multiple bounds, which i mostly used to find a bug in the jdk and demonstrate to the coder after me how dangerous it is to let a mid go unsupervised

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Jabor posted:

I've done some very dodgy stuff with Java generics.

Like writing a Wrapper<T extends SomeClass & SomeInterface> so that I could then pass around Wrapper<?> instances and write code that was polymorphic over my interface, but that I could also pass to something that expected an instance of SomeClass.

Why I didn't just add a getAsSomeClass() method to the interface that just returns this I still don't know.

i had abstract generic controller classes that would have like AbstractAdminController<T extends CRUDEntity & Image> and use reflection in the constructor to find out the actual parameter for T and generate an admin UI for the entity. iirc the jdk bug was that passing a T into a lambda that expected an Image would fail at runtime

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

olorum posted:

TameAntelope 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

I'd actually flip that, and say if you can't give daily feedback you're a "bad" developer (I'd probably use "inexperienced" or "new" rather than "bad", because it's a hard mindset shift and it takes time).

In fact, not only should you be able to give daily updates, you should be able to ship functionality on the daily. From first line of code into production and in front of customers should only ever take about 2 to 16 hours of work.

If you can't work at that cadence, you're probably not being as effective as you could be, as a developer. A "good" manager enables you to work like this.

seems like a big leap from talking about what you did yesterday (if you did something you can also say that you did it) to pushing code daily. which requires a lot of infrastructure and process maturity to do properly

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

the old boss just edited files live on the server over ftp. why make it more complicated than it has to be

i guess if you have no process whatsoever then pushing code daily is also easy. huh

i think there is a valley between "we're idiots and just push everything to prod immediately" and "we've put so much engineering into our CI/CD infrastructure that we just push everything to prod immediately" which is where you find people who think git flow is a good idea. they have to avoid breaking production but can't afford to automate it

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

alexandriao posted:

unpopular opinion: Knuth was right and programming is an art form in the same way that architecture is. Also PG was unexpectedly right and there are many similarities to the way my mother (A highly accomplished painter who is now teaching for an extremely prestigious organisation) has to mentally handle composition, form, etc. and the way I have to as a programmer -- even if the nitty gritty "cracking the egg and making the omlette" parts are different. We've talked about it a lot.

Aside from that, programmers and mathematicians who go through college should be forced to do mandatory social science courses in addition to programming. If only to stop them constantly making poo poo up about how the world works and learn that other subjects are as important and just as complex as their own little programming fiefdom

its a problem with experts in general. some people, once they have expertise in an area, assume that all other areas of expertise are trivial. it's not limited to programmers

as i recall PG's essay was titled "hackers and painters" and was incredibly pretentious and self-indulgent. the man's brain is mush and i have no doubt that even if he reached a correct conclusion it was entirely accidental. also the activity he describes as "hacking" is repeatedly stroking yourself off over how clever you are until your project is covered in s-expressions. are you saying that is how you work

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Analytic Engine posted:

maybe I have a dumb worldview, I'm open to improvement. why is that true in your opinion? I imagine because the modern web is considered a trash fire by everyone here, but are there other reasons?

your main problem is that itt you are not allowed to like computer. liking computer is something hackernews does and this is the thread for hating hackernews and everything it stands for

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

alexandriao posted:

React might be good if it were closer to the metal, and had nothing in relation to Javascript, one of the worst languages in the history of mankind second only to APL (but at least APL had a consistent idea behind it)

rust can target wasm i smell another "...but in rust!" opportunity

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

that just sounds like the traditional os over the last 25 odd years, except in javascript

finally we can emulate an entire computer in the browser and then run citrix inside it and inside that is a windows xp vm running ie 6 and that is how you access the time off system

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

what about capabilities, seems like it would be pretty valuable to statically prove that your logging library can't open a socket

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, not saying "computer bad" is the issue, and not this incredible nonsense:

i mean yeah its kinda rambling and incoherent but if it was word salad that added up to "computer bad" people wouldn't be dunking on the guy

Analytic Engine posted:

do you actually read HN? they'd flay me alive for proposing that making a page that takes time to load and using high-level framework are fine for "good" "professional" developers.

they're mostly Jon Blows yelling at abstractions

I had the urge to post here because every thread on HN about webdev is flooded with grognards decrying React and wishing the web would go back to its rightful structure of interconnected static text pages

see this is what i'm trying to say, this is not the "people who wish they were posting on hn but hn would disagree with them" thread its the "hn delenda est" thread

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

chaosbreather 1 hour ago | next [–]

the idea that art and formal mathematical proof are at two different ends of a spectrum is to spectacularly misunderstand both. mathematics is a field of intense imagination and artistry, it is the study of pattern itself it has a long boring poorly taught ramp that takes an entire educational career to get to but maths is profoundly artistic, maybe the most artistic, because the truths created and expressed are universal beyond universes.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

godel, escher, bach, me (when i slightly improve the precision of our vulnerable user detection model to target radicalizing content at them it is mathematically beautiful and also artistic af)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

it is but so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i dont think its actually legal to stalk people