Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

anyone who thinks that liberty includes the freedom to starve does not care at all about whether humans are free. dig a little and you'll find that most "libertarians" are social darwinists. they champion freedom as a means to enable plutocracy, which in their minds is equivalent to aristocracy in its literal meaning--rule by the best. you cant find the ubermensch by measuring wealth but that wont stop hn from trying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

josh04 posted:

it's in the middle of the other two buttons, graycat

you cant know that until you know it, though, which means it's impossible to know whether you can know it until you actually do know it. at which point you know that you know it and also know that you can know it. therefore i am not owned

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

putin is gonna sneak out the back door with all of russia's natural gas while everyone is fighting in ukraine. the heist of the century

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

memetic SCPs are overused

otoh there is no antimemetics division is a decent book

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

fritz posted:

guess the topic:

mechanical_bear 32 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

No, but possibly one of the greatest forces of good we have conjured as humans.

a: capitalism

moral good is when you allocate resources efficiently and the more efficiently you allocate resources the more good it is. also economic rent is efficient now

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

i think it is hard to say from the outside if search is in its current state because it is impossible to make it better or if it simply doesn't make financial sense to make it better. as long as it remains useful to type things into google search and no competitors are clearly better, it's not immediately obvious that you'd expect a meaningful increase in revenue from investing heavily in improving search quality compared to things like continuing to invest in the knowledge base stuff. even if you concluded that spending $10b on paying humans to look at search results and manually filter out garbage would drive $11b of additional revenue, does that actually improve google's financials? software companies "aren't allowed" to do low margin things because their valuation is driven by insane gross margins.

google employs a huge number of people (at least thousands) to manually curate its serps. it has done this for decades

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

well obviously anything that the community generally regards as immoral or tasteless isn’t allowed. but nothing is taboo, we’re free thinkers here

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

when rich people do have deep conversations it’s about how they’re going to ride out the decline of civilization without lowering their personal standard of living

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i kickstarted some dice once and then the dice arrived and they were neat

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

spoils19 2 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

pb7 is probably correct here, as they are in many things. Elon probably knows what he's doing, you don't get to that level of businessmen without making all the right decisions.

what believing in meritocracy does to a mf

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

SolTerrasa posted:

imagine the horror of a website populated almost entirely by white noise posters talking past each other

is this meant to be a dig on d&d or cspam or all of SA cause it works all three ways

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

it feels annoying as gently caress because my browser locking up for 30 seconds to load a lovely editor is never what i want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

so to the extent that the future of the web is a popup div stamping on the content area forever, i suppose it does feel like the future