Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

uncurable mlady posted:

dammit we had a good 5-year run on the last iteration of this, post your dumb takes about politics in c-spam

This is a divisive topic, but the story seems to pass the interesting-new-phenomenon test (https://news.ycombinator.com/newsguidelines.html). We've changed the title in accordance with the site guidelines, but if anyone can suggest a better (i.e. more accurate and neutral) title, we can change it again.

If you comment, note this guideline: "Comments should get more thoughtful and substantive, not less, as a topic gets more divisive."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

suffix posted:

my mushroom book has helpful little notes like "this used to be considered edible but turns out it's gonadotoxic over time"

highly relatable

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

n-gate is extremely consistent in using insulting yet unfunny pun names, the most egregious being "webshit" for "website"

that and hating rust are the author's only two sins

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

people suggesting everything should be rewritten in a hot new programming language that they don't know well enough to see the limits of is a phenomenon that long predates rust

maybe i just don't read enough hacker news comments to appreciate the joke :smuggo:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i thought k-means requires you to specify the number of clusters you want ahead of time.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Here, exilium (= "exile") logically belongs to the first verse. The flexible word order has allowed the author to arrange it so that this word appears in isolation (i.e., "in exile") from the verse it belongs to, while still fitting the metre (hexameter), thus matching what is being described with the form that is used to describe it. The suffix "-que" that can be attached to Latin words to mean "and" makes "longumque" also quite long as a word, stressing how long the exile is.

- someone who's never eaten pussy

*my scouter explodes from the power of this language*

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

power botton posted:

holy poo poo spqr0a1 who the gently caress cares

people are so mean to corporations, so ungrateful
:qqsay:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

sounds scary but exciting, jesse

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

:qq: think of the apps

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

when you definitely know computer

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

so-called "farmers":

* 89% own a refrigerator
* 78% own multiple televisions

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i prefer purely functional institutions that have no real-world effects

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

that is an all-timer

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Pardot posted:

i think paul "9/11 is a buffer overflow" ghram is an idiot

edit: just found it again and it's still just as bad as i remembered, written at some point still in September 2001

a fun game to play is to post this on twitter and see if he replies, apparently

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Kind Friend posted:

quote:

He goes, "yeah well I know that NOW",

:hmbol:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

unread posts is a derived metric, it's not surprising that get requests would increment or decrement some metric.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

tbf it's true that tolerating fascists did help us land on the moon

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Qwertycoatl posted:

it's probably for people who don't have a life outside of work

i think it's for encouraging people to not have a life outside of work

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

had a big lol at

quote:

And I really like hierarchical file systems so really REALLY like Microsoft's NTFS (new technology file system) and do a lot of tree walking, searching, copying, deleting, etc.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

yeah im really into file system operations these days

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

alexandriao posted:

NTFS (new technology file system)

it's comedic genius

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

isn't it more correct to say the full phrase followed by the acronym in parentheses on first usage, and then use the acronym only for subsequent usages?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

it's a sign that they find it annoying when people use acronyms they aren't familiar with and have to spend three seconds binging (running a search on the website bing dot com) the answer

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

i've eaten enough toe jam to more or less agree with all of those ideas but way to sound like an azeroth sovereign citizen man

yeah if you're old enough to remember 90s computer gaming you should be old enough to not embarrass yourself talking about it

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

rjmccall posted:

there’s a foss might & magic clone that doesn’t completely suck. well, at least not more than might & magic games all kinda suck

well if we're including clones i've been enjoying OpenMW a lot lately

Xarn posted:

Why would I be embarrassed by playing doom?

i didn't mention playing

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

linux is the greatest foss clone of all

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

fritz posted:

josephcsible 22 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Why is a union necessary to enforce labor laws and safety regulations? Can't individual employees report such violations to the government even in non-union shops?

hey everyone, this guy is a statist!! boooo the statist!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

post hole digger posted:

im sending everyone who has ever posted on hn to prison for life.

gulp!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

fritz posted:

the idea of languages being "unsafe"

lamo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i'm confused how a terminal emulator is a business that can afford a recruitmement budget

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

the end of the first act of permutation city gave me vertigo. events have climaxed, and are winding down, and seeing how much more of the book was left i thought "oh poo poo, here we goooooo" like it was a rollercoaster slowly climbing to its first peak

good stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

If Russia limits the territorial acquisition to Russian-speaking regions, they'll be fine. Minorities are almost always strongly in support of unification with their nation-state. Some historical examples - 77% of Sudeten Germans voted for Nazi Sudetendeutsche Partei. 99.7% of Austrians voted for unification with Germany in 1938 referendum. 95.6% of Crimeans voted for unification with Russia. 95.7% of Cypriots voted for unification with Greece in 1950

great list, it made me curious so i looked it up: the referendum approving the act of congress admitting hawai'i as a US state passed by 93.3%