Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

epitaph posted:

twilio is firing and the hackers are mad:

anonym29 8 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

To imply there is absolutely no overlap between the group of people espousing CRT and the group of people who believe the world would be a better place if every white person spontaneously died is to be willfully ignorant of an unfortunate reality.

We should be taking the opportunity to disavow the latter on behalf of the good intentions of the former.

anonym29 9 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

I'll believe this was actually racially blind when Twilio releases a count of each race that was laid off, and the sum of each race for employees in the company prior to the layoff. It's very simple for everyone to verify whether there was racial targeting outside the statistically probable bounds of random selection from the parent group.

I have no problem with people being woke as long as we're both working towards a provable shared reality with data rather than rhetoric.

Humans lie. Sufficient amounts of data analyzed by a suficient number of people do not.

Assuming it was possible to look at the data I call for above, would you be opposed to the public dissemination and analysis of it?

spamizbad 8 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

That's not good enough. They could just lie. You need a formal audit conducted by a third party. Anything else is unacceptable.

these guys have definitely been asking for the same thing say 20 years ago, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Rich people have worse things to do on their late night yacht rides than debate if schools are too woke

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

if you imagine that musky acted completely differently, he's actually a lot more reasonable

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

fritz posted:

notch656c 43 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

I always hire a lawyer for traffic court. Show up with a lawyer and wear a suit. Don't want them to think I'm one of the poors to stomp down. If you go to low-level court in middle America you'll understand what I mean -- 99% of the people there are drugged out and wearing rags generally look like their poo poo is not together at all and these are the people the lazy/burnt-out prosecutor is geared towards crushing effortlessly.
They basically always offer some bullshit non-moving violation to make me go away. Saves me thousands on insurance premiums and has also saved me from a criminal record for my more serious tickets (like allegedly driving gasp 36 mph by a school, which apparently comes with jail time in Ohio).
Bring on the hate. Y'all know I speak truth.

most of the people quoted itt really suck but this guy does in a particularly annoying way

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

quote:

Ask HN: Strategies for working with engineers that are too smart?

absolutely not clicking on that one

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jose Valasquez posted:

low_tech_punk 43 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

If people consider marriage as a contract of exchange, then it is already a form of legalized prostitution. Monogamy might be a bigger underlying problem.
Esther Perel's Mating in Captivity in a good read on this topic.

wait hang on there

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

elif 15 minutes ago [–]

As someone who has only worked in "right to work" states, it always strikes me as absurd that people seek "job security" through a 3rd party agency rather than by individual performance and developing personal relationships.
Honestly a big part of why I quit my last job was too many unproductive/unreliable coworkers.

Am I just Stockholm Syndromed?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I too constantly wish I was having a better advertising experience (none at all)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

straight edge musk stan

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

why does hn love stories about people getting kicked off stripe/their bank account so much? I'm sure a couple are legit but they always get so worked up about people who are obviously telling only part of the story and actually run some sort of scam

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

my god that thread

No way this isn't a failed attempt at a joke

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

fritz posted:

thrown123098 4 hours ago | undown | parent | context | flag | on: Ask HN: Why do many CS graduates lack foundational...

My computer is very much a Turing machine since each time it runs out of disk space I can buy more disks. The fact you think a Turing machine has infinite memory rather than finite but arbitrarily large memory tells me all I need to know about the sorry state of your theoretical education.

such an intelligent poster that I can tell he smells bad

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Xik posted:

I know this is like the opposite of what this thread is about, but I'd like to just take a moment to appreciate that is this YC Launch post about generating and cloning voices right now is mostly filled with comments about how unethical it is and how it will primarily be used to cause harm.

It might be filled with counter-arguments shortly, but I think it shows that the HN community actually has at least some posters that seem to give a poo poo about how the technology they create is used.

utopcell 9 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Can't you take a moment and appreciate the great technical achievement before you ?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

which one of you is this

ZeroGravitas 41 minutes ago | unvote | prev | next [–]

People are so wedded to fossil fuel religion, they'd rather pretend their country is entirely incapable of the most basic tasks.
China isn't playing by the pretend limitations you put on yourself and it looks like you've already admitted they deserve to be the new hegemon. Yay for totalitarian communism I guess.

The stat that 80% of the UK queue might be effectively domain squatters with no actual project waiting to flip to real developers is shocking. Pure rent seeking middlemen.

Though at the same time, it means all the other stats are BS. Like saying that a concert is sold out and there's no way to get a ticket until the next time they visit in 5 years time because 80% have been sold to scalper's bots. It just doesn't logically add up. The tickets are available, you just need to pay a markup to a scalper who performs no real service to society.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lol at the "my iPhone can't compile c++" post that somehow made it to the top this morning

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mystes posted:

Is that the jornada one? I didn't actually read it

Yes, I stopped at the picture of a windows desktop on a mobile thingy

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

sidcool 0 minutes ago | parent [–]

Theoretically it's impossible to travel through space at or more than speed of light. But space itself can move faster than light speed, and a warp drive would help something similar that you mentioned. That is possible theoretically. But the amount of energy or mass it needs is very high and no current technology (or in foreseeable future) can achieve it. So FTL remains a dream.
My hunch based on nothing is that we will achieve FTL no earlier than 2250.

qualifies in the final stretch!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

nice!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

post hole digger posted:

"In fact, most of American wealth that the US has been riding on, was accumulated before then" is either so deliberately weaselly or unfathomably stupid.

id love to see the justification because it's obviously untrue under any reasonable interpretation.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

not going to click on the site all day just to avoid knowing what thread that's from

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

some in the wild platonism

mjburgess 23 minutes ago | undown | next [–]

The problem of induction since Hume has been a massive ideological misdirection against the possibility of knowledge. We do not use induction. We use abduction.
We first posit a universal, and then each subsequent data point is taken to confirm or delimit the universal. With a clear counter-example, the universal is dropped.

As soon as the child touches the fire once, the conclusion "fire is always dangerous" is reached.

This is impart why all ML (etc.) approaches based on conditional probability break: they are subject to the problem of induction.

You cannot do science with statistics: there is nothing in the data that generalises. The generality is the hypothetical properties of the data generating process itself.

ie., the shadows on the wall of Plato's cave cannot be averaged to produce the vases on the outside. It is the properties of the vases (the universals) that produce the shadows -- there are an infinite number of possible shadows, and no statistical operation on any amount of them reverses to "clay pot"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mystes posted:

That's an actual meaning of "competent" in English, not a "false friend"

It's just not super common to use it that way in the US nowadays

The only place I've seen it used has been in EU documents where they love it, I think for the reason NihilCredo gave. it's super obscure otherwise

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mensetmanusman 20 minutes ago | next [–]

The morals and ethics of this are fascinating.
Eg. from society’s point of view of supporting young couples for starting families, the ai would recommend one set of obvious recommendations based on sociological data.

On the other hand, from a hedonistic point of view of maximizing short term dopamine, it should recommend completely different behavior.

It could probably screen the user up front on what the goals of the dating are. Eg. Orgasm versus long term relationship.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

quote:

pvaldes 81 days ago | prev | next [–]

Don't understand why they had seen a refuge there. Looks much more like a bonfire to me.
This wood looks cut in a tip and partially burnt in the other, and the fire makes this notches easily when two logs overlap. Also explains the preservation of the wood, as it was sterilized by fire (maybe minutes before a rain fell or a flood hit). Also the size of the logs (1,5m is too short for a home, but perfect to be carried and stored. Plus the near presence of the classical fire hardened sticks. Is pretty obvious.

So first evidence of "structural use" of wood is a too premature claim. nope. I don't think so.

quote:

pvaldes 81 days ago | root | parent | next [–]

I would need to see it. Marks in wood would be totally expected in a bonfire used to create and test tools with fire hardened tips
If we are both talking about the same structure, I don't see striations, but the photo mentions two cracks. If those are really cracks (and not engravings carved superficially) this would reinforce my theory.

quote:

pvaldes 81 days ago | root | parent | next [–]

> You do know that this paper is published in Nature, right? Unless you're an archeologist with a credible track record I doubt that you have the expertise to effectively argue that this is find is not credible.
> I don't think researcher would just confuse bonfire and modified wood :) That's their expertise.

Appeal to the authority. I'm not scared, baby. I'd go anywhere. If is printed in nature then is true, right? gods speak...

noope

We need to understand that articles published in nature can be retracted. Here is a small list of five pages:

https://www.nature.com/nature/articles?type=retraction

There is a detail in that photo that opens a door to the possibility that the datation could be incorrect all the way long. I wrote yesterday about it at home, but will reserve my opinion until ruminating a little more about it.

peer review via squinting at images on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

steamed breads can be quite good, I suspect you could make an OK one with the right microwave technique. i don't really get the guys original point though there's a vast array of things (bread definitely included!) that will be better bought vs DIY'd for 99% of people.