Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

dreamcompiler 52 minutes ago [-]

I grew up around Christianity in the American south and this is very true. The genius of Christianity is that it's a mind virus: In order to be a good Christian you have to convert others to Christianity. It's the GPL of religions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

the guys who try to one-up him are almost as hilarious:

quote:

Yeah, gotta agree here. I've lost a significant amount of weight, which I've talked about before, and I never had to resort to anything that horrific sounding.

Here's my advice for quick cheap healthy meals: get a microwave steamer. Throw frozen veggies and meat bits (I use Morningstar brand fake-meat strips but I assume real meat equivalents exist). Takes about ten minutes to make a meal, you can mix up the vegetables and any sauces you want to use on the whole thing.

throw random frozen veggies and fake meat strips into the microwave. this might be european snobbery but i know labradors who eat better

quote:

cko 8 hours ago [-]

Mine requires minimal cooking.
It’s 8 eggs a day (soft boiled in a $20 egg steamer)... lots of bok choy or broccoli in avocado oil (oil for calories)... rice... and protein shakes. I microwave the veggies.

Protein shake recipe is Greek yogurt from Costco, frozen berries, oatmeal, a scoop of pea protein, avocado oil.

I combine the two to get 3000 calories a day.

I enjoy food sometimes, like the first few bites, but to me hunger is a disease and eating is a chore. I’ve always had a poor appetite and low-ish (21) BMI.

I enjoy food sometimes

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

peak circlejerk

tptacek 29 minutes ago [-]

I guess I'm saying I agree strongly with Dan Luu when he quotes me as saying that smaller companies that hire like this are playing to lose.

hmm, yes, i guess i strongly agree with the guy literally quoting me, what a smart and handsome fellow he must be

although the paragraph after that where he tried to pose as the vanguard of the proletariat was pretty good too

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

AFashionableHat posted:

I just went down an Annatar hole.

Man. Annatar doesn't have brainworms, brainworms have Annatar.

One of us! One of us!

Annatar 11 days ago | parent [-] | on: Sovereign: Ansible playbooks to build and maintain...

Quit this drat nonsense with Ansible or whatever garbage fashion fad is in vogue these days and finally learn how to make OS packages so you can do configuration management with normal shell scripting inside of them, because that's what it's for. The amount of incompetence and insanity from incompetence has gone too far. drat it, this is exactly why IT sucks so bad!!!

awww yisss, that's the stuff

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

devit 10 minutes ago [-]

Is there any betting market that is taking bets and has good volume on whether there is going to be a novel coronavirus pandemic?

That seems like the only way to get some clarity on this.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

KO boomer

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

i've worked on food production, distribution, tracing and sale software for five years and it's always given me a feeling of quiet satisfaction to know that every line of my lovely code was helping to improve an unquestionably essential part of human civilization, as opposed to draining value via ads or destroying society via social media bullshit like so many of my peers

these days it's a lot more than quiet satisfaction

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

DaTroof posted:

now she's vulnerable to a mailman exploit

it's fine as long as he puts on his white hat

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

It's highly illogical because it's putting the cart before the horse: you first need to secure the existence of our people, and then you can start working on a future for white children. Christ on a bike, the basics, guys, the basics :eng99:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand patio11. The insights are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of bingo card theory most of the blogposts will go over a typical reader’s head. There’s also Patrick’s optimistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Ramit Sethi, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these posts, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about BUSINESS. As a consequence people who dislike patio11 truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Patrick’s post on salary negotiation which itself is a cryptic reference to Dale Carnegie. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as patio11’s genius wit unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Kalzumeus tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

late2part 33 minutes ago [-]

Firing someone if they don't do something is not forcing them. It shouldn't raise to duress in my opinion

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

poor bastard. i wouldn't wish a 'wellness influencer' on anyone

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

danicgross 3 hours ago [–]

The cross-pollination effect of Couchsurfing is so powerful. I often wonder — how could you create a digital equivalent of this?
We let strangers into our homes, but not into our superuser shell. Why?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

a good post:

numpad0 3 hours ago | unvote [–]

Docker at this point is InstallShield infrastructure for startup production quality freewares

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

atemerev 2 hours ago [–]

About 70% of what I am earning and spending these days is in Bitcoin.

yreg 53 minutes ago [–]

Just to clarify, you are not a drug lord, right?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

we call them sjws because we can't write the f-word anymore

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I might be missing something because I don't use Instagram, but:

quote:

Basically you get meme accounts to do a promotion of a profile that is currently private, and all the followers to a private profile get queued up, you can queue them up in the thousands or hundreds of thousands.

[..] So you can grow an account with like a few hundred followers to a hundred thousand+ real followers very quickly.

So basically the trick first still requires him to get "thousands or hundreds of thousands" of accounts to bite on the "promotion" and click on the follow button of his profile even though it's currently private, and then he can do that weird "toggle private flag to approve 100 at the same time" to appear like hot poo poo to IG's algorithms.

But one would think that getting those follow clicks in the first place would be the hard part (without straight up buying them, as he claims), and that having a private profile would massively discourage that.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

dads friend steve posted:

that all sounds really gross and stupid

Everything about Instagram culture is really trashy and contemptible, in the same way that everything about Twitter culture is reckless and odious.

There is no good social network because humans cannot deal with being in public 24/7 in a healthy way. IIRC someone once tried to make a social network where you could only have a limited number of friends roughly similar in size to real-life circles of acquaintances, which would probably have curbed out most of the excesses of people chasing fame, but I don't think it went anywhere.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

IKnowThatIdk 3 hours ago [–]

For Android, I've found using termux to install Emacs, and then keeping a Bluetooth keyboard in my car has come in useful for impromptu note taking sessions.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

LastInLine posted:

the problem with this is that water runs downhill and it doesnt just do it on the top of the grass either

let me assure you that everything about owning a house on a hillside sucks rear end

that's what house ponchos are for. duh

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

What is the point he's responding to and calling nonsense?

Without that context, it doesn't read like he's defending abuse of permissive licenses. It reads like he's encouraging people to use suitably restrictive licenses, precisely because otherwise companies will exploit them to the full extent of the law.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Yeah I think the link on your control panel goes to "whatever the first unread page is".

I guess the pure REST design would be to have a GET call that doesn't update the unread count and a separate POST (maybe PATCH) that sets the first unread to whatever. The latter can also do double duty to support a "Mark all as unread" button, so it's not a totally wasted request.

More in general, there are plenty of scenarios where from the user's point of view you want to fetch some data AND update some other data as a single action. It's good CQRS design and more versatile to split those in two different API calls, but is it worth it to add a third proxy API call that simply makes those two calls in sequence?

As far as I understand it, in the age of HTTP/2 the overhead of making two HTTP requests to the same server instead of one should be negligible, so the question could be where do you want to put the dirty logic of "push $button means doing A and B" - in the client code or in the server code?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

AltruisticGapHN 2 hours ago [–]

I’ve been thinking about an alternative to tailwind but I have no idea how to implement it.

I think what would be even more powerful is you configure all the classes with some kind of regexp. They need to be unique. You could provide a function as well that returns the correct css for any given captured units in the class name so eg. "mb-4em" you have template "mb-(\\d+)em" declared. The tool recognizes it and either just puts the number there, uses a mapping (4 becomes 16), or calls a function to return the resulting css properties.

What I like about it is you could just as well create more advanced utilities and the parser never generates any classes in advance. It would need some kind of watcher though to detect any new class aded to templates that match the definition file.

Then there would be no need to purge anything. Kind of a vague concept I’ll admit, but for me starting with a figma or sketch where designer typically does not folow a consistent guideline, it means I can just start writing templates and keep declaring utilities as I go because in the real world you bet that happens.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

myers-briggs may well be lovely science but it's an excellent replacement for horoscopes and blood types and dnd alignments

people really like putting each other into fictional categories, for whatever reason. and if they get attached to sorta questionable science, that's a massive upgrade over getting attached to superstition in terms of general cultural level

kind of like how the neil tyson-retweeting IFLS kids are cringey but still way, way healthier than if they had been parroting some ignorant actor or singer's platitudes

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

mr. i-have-nothing-to-hide will be so thankful for personalized ads as soon as he buys a car and for six months google will show him nothing but more similar cars he might want to buy

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

tutfbhuf 23 minutes ago [–]

The current trend goes to multi-cluster environments, because it's way too easy to destroy a single k8s cluster due to bugs, updates or human mistake. Just like it's not an very unlikely event to kill a single host in the network e.g. due to updates/maintenance.

For instance, we had several outages when upgrading the kubernetes version in our clusters. If you have many small cluster it's much easier and more save to apply cluster wide updates, one cluster at a time.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

He was whining about being called out for having conservative opinions online.

the nerve

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

quote:

I won't comment on the personal stuff because I've stopped trying to save everyone. For the record I rolled on random.org with a 20% chance saying I should offer to personally help you and you got 57.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

lmm hours ago [–]

I swear I'm going to add a bitcoin miner to my libraries and list it in spring.factories so that it autostarts whenever someone starts a Spring Boot application with my library on the classpath. There'll be an undocumented config property to turn it off or make it mine to a different address. That's standard practice with every other library that uses Spring Boot, so it's perfectly ethical, and it's not like anyone using Spring Boot would notice that their application was wasting a bunch of resources.

Maybe someone else did this already. That would explain a lot actually.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I really don't feel like mocking two people who realized "Hey, I'm a HN poster and I'm really not very good at giving emotional support - and this is a problem with _me_, not with other people being Insufficiently Rational ® or whatever. How do I get better at helping others?"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

xtal posted:

That is technically true from a cognitive therapeutic perspective, but not really the best example

I was literally talking about that with my therapist less than three hours ago, it felt uncanny to read it right here

(Although in my case he was trying to get me to accept that I can't hope to control _other people's_ emotions, which is a little bit different...)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

slightly paraphrased but a good post:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26993445 posted:

startups are just temporarily embarrassed FAANGs

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Xik posted:

lmfao @ this thread, literally worse then HN.

If you're sweating balls about being seen as a racist for using the wrong colour emoji how about just not use them? Problem loving solved.

please don't interrupt the leftists' weekly struggle session slash circular firing squad, it's amazing

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

namlosh posted:

I sign up to all other websites as username1488 because I was 14 years old in 1988… what’s the problem, right?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

fridif 8 minutes ago [–]

They don't need culture, they need challenging and interesting constructive work, such as computer programming in a low barrier to entry environment.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

alexandriao posted:

potential cthulhu sithrak cultist/worshipper right here

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

wayneftw 19 minutes ago [–]

So the problem is that unkempt looking people have created code that this person has to deal with??

Oh, and every single person who has hair on their neck looks unkempt, without exception, am I hearing that right?

Sure, OK

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

mrmcd posted:

Yes, we shouldn't ignore McAfee's good contributions to the world, such as.. lovely antivirus software, doing all the cocaine, and grooming a new generation of cryptocurrency marks.

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1078845703340867584

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

judge2020 5 hours ago [–]

YouTube’s free-ness and discovery is only possible at this scale, with ads (and the subset of users who convert to paying customers via those ads or purchase YT premium) subsidizing the rest of us with our OSS ad blockers turned on.

1vuio0pswjnm7 1 hour ago [–]

That's great, but personally I do not use an ad blocker because I do not need to use a browser to search, download or watch video. Nor do I need python or youtube-dl. I download videos with something like

code:
curl -4o 1.mp4 $(curl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1234567890a|sed  "s/\\u0026/\&/g"|grep  -o "https://r[0-9]\{1,2\}--[^"]*"|sed -n /itag=22/p)
except I do not use curl.

I play videos with ffmpeg-based players. I do not need to be online to play video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Penisface posted:

sounds like a kind of person who spends their free time janitoring 40 different self hosted open source things that are alternatives to existing free services all the while thinking they are king poo poo of peak performance mountain

as a dude who self-hosts nextcloud to store the dick pics he takes with his degoogled phone, i assure you that "peak performance" is the last way i would ever describe it