Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

re yelp but for cops

quote:

dheera 21 minutes ago []

Maybe make this a blockchain project instead. Videos of cops doing bad things should be decentralized, non-deletable, and optionally anonymous.

peak hn, always add a blockchain. what if cops, but blockchain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

quote:

I'm baffled by the glowing endorsements of TikTok on Hacker News of all places. TikTok content comes across as completely vapid.

im dyin

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

quote:

whack 3 minutes ago []

> In 2015, Mr Cook said he would give away his entire fortune before he dies, and is known to have donated tens of millions of dollars to charity.

I'm normally a proponent of reducing income inequality. But this has got me thinking. Is the world actively better off when billionaires like Cook/Gates/Buffett make a ton of money.

Consider the alternative: someone in the 75th percentile of USA income gets a fat raise. Most of this money is spent on a nicer house, a nicer car, eating out, going on vacation, etc. Contrast this against a billionaire who has signed the giving pledge. They spend a small fraction of this money on themselves. And the majority ends up going to charitable causes such as educational initiatives, HIV research, deworming, clean drinking water, etc.

Ironically, big payouts (and tax breaks) for billionaires* would do more to help the needy, compared to raises for the upper-middle-class.

*This only applies to those billionaires who have committed to donating most of their wealth of course

i am astounded at both the profound ignorance of why lower income brackets getting more income and quickly turning that around into economic activity is a good and very desirable thing versus billionaires arbitrarily dispersing capital if they so desire, and the notion that all that billionaire money is definitely going to effective social good projects, not vanity OLPC bullshit, bloomberg's presidential campaign, and koch bros hellworld projects

wait, no im not, this is hn

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

this thread is just knocking it out of the park

quote:

Octopuses, crabs and lobsters to be recognised as sentient beings under UK law (lse.ac.uk)

top comment, eh, whatever, but still gets hn points for that style of citation

quote:

monkeybutton 2 hours ago | next []

Octopi I understand, but lobsters? They have less than half the nervous system of an ant [1]. Are individual ants sentient and worthy of legislating over?

[1] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_by_number_of...

the top comment in response to it is _very_ on topic

quote:

ryan_j_naughton 1 hour ago | parent | next []

Octopi is not the correct plural. Octopus is of greek origin, not latin. Thus, its greek plural is octopodes. And thus, since we don't tend to use greek plurals in english, the other proper plural is octopuses.

Octopi is what's known as a hypercorrection. "A hypercorrection is non-standard use of language that results from the over-application of a perceived rule of language-usage prescription. A speaker or writer who produces a hypercorrection generally believes through a misunderstanding of such rules that the form is more "correct", standard, or otherwise preferable, often combined with a desire to appear formal."[1]

Now, you will find octopi in the dictionary, but only because so many people have engaged in this hypercorrection that it has become widespread and dictionaries reflect common usage.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercorrection

and, then, in the responses to that

quote:

elcano 58 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next []

I wonder if the trend of using the 'Latinx' term falls under the hypercorrection definition or there's something else to describe it. I'm not passing judgement on the inclusiveness intention, but the English word for Latino and Latina is just Latin, which doesn't have gender. There's no need to mix linguistics with algebra and add a gender variable to the latin word.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

tryptophan 2 hours ago | parent | next []

I kind of wonder why there hasnt been an "uber for bus" yet.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

im dyin

quote:

bserge 1 hour ago | prev []

Speaking of food, dried corn snacks are practically non existent even though they're great with beer (also dried bread snacks).

Not dried unprocessed corn, I'm talking corn flour baked/fried into a chips-like snack, like we do potatoes. Bet you never heard of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

chaosbreather posted:

man do those ugly lovely stickers actually generate any attributed sales or is that all bullshit cargo culting from back in the old intel vs ibm days that companies don't know they can just stop now

it seems to have worked well for intel's brand awareness, which is why that sort of marketing exists. random non-technical peeps probably know what intel is, less so like via or whoever makes their northbridge