Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no he had a crippling benzo addiction. getting off benzos can take upwards of a year and it is an unending hell of your own making

he probably thought the coma procedure was an easy way out

it sounds more like he got semi-kidnapped by his insane daughter lol
https://newrepublic.com/article/156829/happened-jordan-peterson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ShadowHawk posted:

At some point goatse.cx released their server logs and there was exactly one visitor from Iran

lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Penisface posted:

i get that, but does it mean that [the abstract] you spend hours per day in your car zooming in to meetings or what?

does it mean that the typical workday is something like:
8am clock in and start driving to the office, think work thoughts or attend a call or something
9am arrive at the office
12pm lunch
13pm back
3pm start driving back home, thinking work thoughts again
4pm clock out

its just that i haven't heard of any employer being ok with this, c levels with personal drivers excepted of course
that's like 10 working hours per week spent on meetings or something

not to mention that you should in theory be fully concentrated on driving, not arguing about work bullshit at the same time

not what your post is about but the commute is part of the job and should be paid like any other hours at work. this is not a radical or unrealistic demand.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Penisface posted:

because if 7h+1h is "on the clock", this means that your employer will want to have a say in *how* you commute, since they are expicitly paying for it.

gently caress em. they don't get a legal say on my paid breaks or my lunch. they have to pay me for poo poo they don't control all the time.

i have a good union so i know most jobs don't have the same luxuries that i do but workers have rights that should be expanded. gently caress the bosses.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Penisface posted:

because if 7h+1h is "on the clock", this means that your employer will want to have a say in *how* you commute, since they are expicitly paying for it. for example, imagine having to listen to some training podcast or taking customer support calls. imagine having to take the company mandated transport, which is some dingy bus packed to the legal limit with people, filled with loud infomercials because your employer has sold ad space to make up for "lost productivity". how about living in a company dorm?

a bunch of SV companies have tried to sell this idea already. paying a commute wouldn't make a difference.

quote:

it will also create bad blood if people compare their commutes. say person A has a 30 minute one way drive and person B has a 10 minute one way drive: in the 7+1 arrangement, does this mean that person A has fully minmaxed their commute and they have to work exactly 7h, while person B is expected to work 7h40 like a chump, just because they happened to live closer?

this is some clownshoes poo poo. when i have to bill mileage to my company i submit the distance and time taken and they pay a stipend baswd on that. that process could be baked into an employment contract and standard paycheque.

why would it be a full hour? why would someone have to work to make it up if their commute is shorter? people with longer commutes are currently punished because they gotta pay for more transit and take more time than people with shorter commutes. wouldn't that create the same "bad blood?"

quote:

in the end, i feel like implicitly we already do get paid for the commute - we get paid for the work anyway and if the work agreement means that a) you go to the office and b) you clock in-out at this and this hour.

except you literally aren't.

quote:

the question is more like "ok hold on wtf the contract says i work 8h per day and yet 10h of my day is spent working or commuting to/from work wow this sucks". and imo the answer to this question is: cut down the hours in the standard workday/workweek.

and to pay a travel stipend based on distance and time traveled during commute as well.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sapozhnik posted:

eight hours a day five days a week was also a "radical demand" once upon a time, and the bosses dropped bombs from privately owned aircraft onto the workers fighting for it

they don't even need to do that any more because the population in the united states is currently exhibiting levels of peasant mentality not seen since the middle ages

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Hire people that live closer

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Chris Knight posted:

online ordering and then just walking over to pick up loving rules.

it's nice to be able to walk in and then walk right back out with food

i don't care if i can pay ahead or gotta use cash or whatever, i just don't want to have to wait in a line or for stuff to finish cooking

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

MrQueasy posted:

For some reason I'm fine on the phone calls, but my adhd makes the idea of making the call absolutely terrifying.

Internet Janitor posted:

how did you get inside my inner monologue; i thought this door was locked

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Truman Peyote posted:

ahahahahaa

of all the genres of hn posters, i think the history experts are the funniest

for real

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jabor posted:

i do wonder if this is actually genetics or more like, whether the bacteria that's colonized your mouth happens to enjoy munching enamel or not

like, could you address long-term dental issues by introducing a bunch of benign bacteria to outcompete the ones that cause serious tooth decay

my understanding is that it's thought to be related to the acidity of your saliva.
my mother was a dental assistant and me and my sister always took great care of our teeth and she was probably more diligent about it than i was. i've never had a cavity, she had many growing up :shrug:

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 20, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

either way one of those things where doing science is difficult. really controlled experiments are largely unethical (back in the day they stuffed mental patients mouths full of taffy all day, which got us a tiny bit of information in return for truly vast cruelty), where now mostly it is a matter of sifting through incredibly confused and flawed data for answers. which makes reasonably intelligent guesses driving seemingly likely advice a pretty legitimate route.

usually those unethical experiments were run by people that did not actually care about following a methodology or taking useful measurements or anything that would make that data useful

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

tracecomplete posted:

In general, how did we get to this point that it is more expensive to order takeaway food from a restaurant than if you cooked the food by yourself ?

:thunkin:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i cannot imagine what kind of everyday life these antiseptic weirdos live

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

josh04 posted:

*examining my childhood* hmm yes pretty sure this was all the fault of genes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

avoid doorways posted:

xwdv 11 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

subliminal eugenics initiatives

i'm gonna start tearing peoples spines out like sub-zero

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

lobsterminator posted:

And also now with early access Steam games. It's a big risk. There are some EA games I've bought and even though they are unfinished they have good communication and regular improvement. And some of them could have been released properly at their current state, but they still keep working on them as early access.

Then there are some that were unfinished when I bought them as EA and when they decided to release the actual 1.0 final version, they only felt 75% done and I never touched the game again.

These are always risky. I avoid Kickstarter because it's blind. At least with EA games you have a chance to refund if they are totally crap.

i'm glad i never bothered kickstarting anything because there have been at least a dozen or so projects i was interested in that either never got finished or were complete poo poo when they did

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DaTroof posted:

ime this isn't long-term sustainable. eventually all your counters and tables have so much poo poo on them your life becomes a constant hidden object game

it's easier for me to remember that the bread knife is in the same drawer as all the other cooking knives than to think "it's lying on top of one of the flat surfaces somewhere on the first floor of the house, probably"

if every drawer is basically an all-purpose junk drawer, that's a slightly different problem

leaving all your poo poo out just turns your counters and tables into junk drawers

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jose Valasquez posted:

knodi123 1 hour ago | parent | prev | next [–]

> Then again, I've read that 4% of Americans believe they could win a fight with a Grizzly bear.

I bet I could. Maybe on a good day. Not, like, 9 times out of 10, but maybe 1 or 2. Sure, he outranks me in muscles and claws, but I can out-think him, and really, isn't our brain our most powerful muscle? Much like how the powerful and crafty coyote is more than capable of catching a roadrunner, even though the bird is ostensibly faster.

i could probably survive a fight with a bear

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
lol capitalist cope

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

mrmcd posted:

Putting everything else, uh, aside for them moment: Does this person think a mass spectrometer is a Star Trek computer? "*chirp chirp* Sample is 72.3 percent pure. Replicating heroin...."

Yes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

matti posted:

hn is talking about warhammer 40k lore and i'm little afraid of reading the thread

why yes the rotting empire of hatred and self destruction is the good guys with no irony intended you know

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
how are these people so goddamn stupid

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
turning my blood into jam to own the doctors

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
this part

quote:

Like, don't crucify me please, but I could probably compress that book in 20 pages, easily, without skipping a single plot element.
is really eyeroll worthy though

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
it's almost like there are other reasons to brush your teeth than just preventing cavities

iirc the natural acidity of your mouth is more important than the specific bacteria (higher acidity is a better environment for bacteria that cause cavities, lower acidity is better for the good bacteria)

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 10, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

well, sure, but ultimately a huge fraction of people wind up with terrible dental health, and associated financial and physical pain during their lifetimes. it may be a problem solvable by a some sufficiently puritanical regime of care, but unless we're creating a new branch of the police for it that's not happening

what? i just meant that people should brush their teeth because mouths get dirty, regardless of cavities.

you can be the most consistently perfect at brushing and flossing and still get cavities. you can have extremely poor dental hygiene and never get one in your life. i've never had a cavity but i've also still had to spend a money on various dental procedures and surgeries over the years. the solution to it is to include dental care as part of universal health care (:canada:) or otherwise have the government/taxes cover the cost, not to invent a bacterial lozenge

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
yeah they're good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sapozhnik posted:

sometimes i try to imagine the sort of person who insists on doing every aspect of his life Optimally

it must be exhausting to live like that

optimized for maximum runny shits

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

4lokos basilisk posted:

i would like a service where i order through a generic app and then its me who has to show up at the place at the given time to show the code and pick up my food

instead the takeout story is that i walk to a place, explain what i want and pay for it and wait for it and then walk back to my place. the process takes more time and is more work for the restaurant worker too.

i still personally go and pick up my stuff because gently caress uber et al

i usually call ahead and ask to order for pickup if it's something besides fast food

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

necrotic posted:

oh yeah duh

it would be really funny if atms had to count your money outloud like someone making change whenever you used one

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I still find it hard to believe that people actually took that poo poo seriously

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

josh04 posted:

is altman even an engineer? if you asked me what the ceo of OpenAI did on a day-to-day basis i'd assume "schmooze, lazily tell people to work harder".

These morons think CEOs personally write every line of code because of how rich intelligent they are

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

i thought the horse obsession bit was especially funny

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Chris Knight posted:

but it's perfectly OK to just incubate all these disembodied clone organs in a bunch of pigs uteruses!

never mind where the pigs come form or what we do after extracting the clone organs!

i would take the pig home and take care of if, it grew me new organs the least i could do is feed it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

BobHoward posted:

i mean yeah in theory but multiply that specific problem by a million. evolution doesn't produce well-engineered cleanly separated systems, it produces extremely convoluted and messily interconnected ones.

quote:

In the past 10 years of teaching in an anatomy lab, I have seen:

- A donor with a scrotum the size of my head. When we opened it up, we discovered it was a MASSIVE inguinal hernia and a good 1.5 ft of intestine were trapped down there.

- A donor with situs inversus totalis, whose organs were a mirror image of what we normally see (ie their heart pointed right and their liver was on the left, just for starters)

- A donor whose right common carotid artery branched off the aorta waaay over on the left hand side of the body and crossed alllll the way back across the thorax to get where it needed to be.

- A donor with 4 lobes for their right lung (should only be 3). We named the 4th lobe the Lisa Loeb, but all of the students were too young to appreciate our sparkling wit.

- A shocking variety of penile and breast implants. Y'all would not believe the number of different ways science has come up to counteract gravity.

- A couple of cases of ectopic kidneys, where a kidney didn't rise to its typical position just deep to the lowest ribs and instead stayed in the pelvis.
https://www.tumblr.com/naamahdarling/736732930250096640/spleens-georg

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Xarn posted:

charitably, he has a oven with a buitin microwave and uses that

he says a traditional oven is less consistent than a microwave lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

mystes posted:

It's really loving stupid that Google had such an overreaction to the response to Gemini sometimes making people more diverse than they actually should be based on historical contexts which it doesn't know about or whatever.

It's still better for it to default to that than to default to only generating white people for 99% of situations, and now it's shown chuds that whenever they complain they can get google to turn up the racism dial.

The correct response was "yes sometimes generative ai will create dumb stuff; that's life and you shouldn't use it without checking that the output makes sense", not for Sergey Brin to run in and say that it "leans left" and needs to be made more right wing.

Being able to generate black people isn't "leaning left" jesus loving christ

non whites existing is left wing bias

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

fritz posted:

not really all that dangerous as far game goes

The Most Mediocre Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I hate it when people get politics in my war

i just want to jerk off to theoretical military weapons without all those yucky politics