Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

kitten emergency posted:

imagine 4 balls on the edge of an array

I’m amazed at how well this describes it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

fritz posted:

elif 13 hours ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Training my sense of CO2 ppm

I've been using the uHoo air monitor for the last few months. I have one in the bedroom, living room, and office. It monitors many air factors, but CO2 was my primary focus.
My original goal was to have a fresh air intake activate automatically at certain concentration levels, if the outside ambient temperature/humidity were appropriate.
However, living in a hot humid place, the data I got made that solution seem futile. Ventilation for CO2 alone takes so much air that it becomes basically a full reset on dehumidifying and conditioning.
However, this failure lead me to the fortuitous discovery that by adding 36 hydroponic heads of lettuce, I am now going beyond outside CO2 levels, dipping down to 390-400 and only reaching ~700 overnight when it's the worst.
I like these posts with weirdos doing weird things that aren’t racist or sexist or harming anyone. they’re a nice palate cleanser for the rest of this thread

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

man, my ancestors suck, I didn’t get any kind of racial bonus for immunity to bad pork

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

fritz posted:

celim307 10 days ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: TV Tropes

Exactly. Maybe it’s because I don’t have enough brainpower but I’m perfectly happy for society to determine parts of my I don’t put much value in. Clothing styles, haircuts, what music is on Spotify.
I recognize the value in being novel in those areas and I respect people who are passionate and put in the time, but I prefer to focus on the things that matter to me
I’m self aware enough there are millions similar to me in a lot of ways, I’m a product of my genome and society mostly, and marketing demographics work. But I take from that more of a stance of brotherhood. We are all on the same journey and we should find kinship and empathy in that.
maybe I’m misreading it, but this seems like an oddly wholesome hn post. just a regular nerdy person who doesn’t care about some things but actually understands that other people do, and appreciates it.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

post hole digger posted:

"surprised" isnt really the right word, because im not surprised guys still do it (and its almost always guys) , but i really thought that whole tim ferriss type cult of optimization type thing sorta peaked around like 2015-2016. it seems almost quaint now
my favorite thing of his is when he was training for a marathon (or maybe it was an ultra marathon) by doing only high weight low rep squats and hiit because those are the most efficient methods of training. for some reason, he never reported on how the race went.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Qwertycoatl posted:

that post took a swerve in the last sentence :catstare:

holy poo poo yeah, it started out as mildly weird, but relatable food issues, but drat

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

mrmcd posted:

There was another app that sold restaurants on a combined pos and online ordering software package, but for a flat monthly rate. I can't remember the name of it now which is probably why Seamless and Uber are so dominant.
I think this one is Chownow. one of the places I go regularly uses it, and it seems decent, except that there’s basically zero integration with the restaurant, so pickup times are a total guess. it just prints out a ticket on their end and they make the food, there’s no advance knowledge of estimated time.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

i usually call ahead and ask to order for pickup if it's something besides fast food
I was recently trying to order something for pickup, and the restaurant's website decided it couldn't validate the stuff I had ordered for some reason, so I tried to call them. Just got a recorded message saying that if you wanted to place an order, use the website. I love our stupid future where there has to be a rickety tech middleman between every potential human interaction.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

4lokos basilisk posted:

yeah thats fine in my book, i am just asking for a widely accepted way to do takeout that does away with the abusive gig work part
seamless/grubhub and chownow seem to do what you're talking about, right? I don't think I've ever gotten delivery, but I have bought a ton of takeout on those.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

NihilCredo posted:

the arguments against pay transparency in this thread are lovely even by hn standards:

eastbound 1 hour ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

No. With full public information, bad employees benefit from being able to ask for more, good employees just flee elsewhere. Because it’s impossible to reason someone on their skills.

Full information is hell on Earth.

maybe I'm reading too much into it, but this one seems like an interesting example of a change in hn culture over the years. first part is obviously the same, but "good employees just flee elsewhere" - do they just see themselves as bosses (founders, entrepreneurs, etc) now and not the "good employees" who would clearly benefit financially from this? i feel like comment sections like this used to be more graybeardy, BOFH, dilberty

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

mystes posted:

IMO HN has always been temporarily embarrassed entrepreneurs. It's by y combinator, after all. I think that in some ways that's its key difference from e.g. slashdot, and if anything I think that that aspect of HN has gotten weaker with time since it seems like it's not as easy to launch a successful startup now.
good call, I may have been running it together with slashdot or something else like that in my mind. I’m not sure I’ve ever put this much thought into the competing cultures of sites that get made fun of in this thread

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

fritz posted:

paulpauper 0 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

In the US still, the path to success is a highly optimized one: start early, max out the extracurriculars, become an outlier among outliers. GitHub has become the new resume. No one cares that you worked at Petco at 17; they want to see your repos, your pull requests. Today's elite and top earners are not born, like under the aristocracy or nobility, but rather forged, of course assuming the potential is there, like IQ.
I know when I think of the elite, I think of a nerd with a GitHub account.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Doom Mathematic posted:

If this person is angling toward city-scale vacuum tube systems big enough to send like packages through then I'm on board.

hmm, now that you've brought up this possibility, i changed my mind and i support hackernews.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

namlosh posted:

$2 bill chat. I keep one folded around the outside of my other cash. It’s a tradition my father did that I now do.

anyway HackerNews sucks

I keep the big bills on the outside too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Mr.Radar posted:

james_david 48 minutes ago | prev [–]

The subtitle of the article is cats who fetch. I'm sorry to be a pedant, but language matters when we talk about other living beings, and I think it's important that we recognize them as such, rather than, say, a box that opens, or a Bluetooth speaker that ran out of battery.

cnity 43 minutes ago | parent | prev [–]

This isn't pedantic, it's just wrong. "Who" is for humans.

james_david 35 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

This is the point I am making. Human exceptionalism is built into our language and it is wrongheaded. Anyone who has known a cat will be aware that they are full of personality, very much unlike a box or a Bluetooth speaker.

as always, weirdos who have their heart in the right place are nice palate cleansers for the thread. dude just likes cats and wants them to be respected :3: