Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it’s me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i was on top of hn all day and the dealio was weird and stupid enough that n-gate will almost certainly write about it

i wait eagerly

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I got on n-gate

:black101::black101::black101::black101:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a 23 year old who has an ivy league degree and good enough connections to get hired as a junior banker

these are not exactly "regular joes"

its ibanking, management consulting, vc and tech majors (and oil majors)

not exactly the most moral bunch, these

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, i still shell out for obscure math books that even amazon has only like 2 used copies of but otherwise libraries are fine

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik posted:

Black-eyed techno-fascist sociopaths like the dwellers of Silicon Valley are an excellent demonstration of why exposure to arts and humanities is essential for a well-rounded adult.

counterpoint: peter thiel was a liberal arts major

they make you take lots of ethics classes at stanford, it didn't seem to have filtered into that guys head any

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fritz posted:

my understanding is at stanford any idiot professor who wants to can teach a class that fulfills the ethics requirement

only since 2015

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bingo card creator guy now works at stripe, helpin other peeps w their bingo card creator dealios

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

it’s a win for anyone in the situation that was making cash and can float the unemployment time

post a material amount of investment, peeps are getting paid in cash

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
rancho santa fe has an average house price of single digit millions not startingn w a 1, its san diegos menlo park

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
wasnt that the one which failed to grow so hard that they sent mass notifications to your entire contacts list without permission, thus dooming themselves into oblivion because nobody trusted them anymore

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
path

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that was a very strange one yeah

end of an era

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
decades is a lot better than weeks, yes

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
unread number is a get side effect thatsthejoke

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
these are the forums that had an outage from changing the copyright notice you're talkin about

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the most lisp weenie man to ever touch a paren

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we got an office that we used by shifts in my student job in undergrad and then i found out a few weeks into the student job that it was john mccarthys old office. and thats the closest ive been to doin lisp for money. good riddance too

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
or i could use python lists and be a normal person

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
isnt mononcqc famous in erlangland for the book and the blog posts posted on hn

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
poo poo, he made beaucoup figgies from gettin moderately famous, we should make mononcqc do it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
drat it you seem to be right

maybe we could do a rota

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i bet that dude thinks peeps dont make jokes on the internet

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i got an offer at a tech major and then used it to squeeze more money out of a job i was actually gonna take

i feel thats ethical

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
individual peeps on hn can have deec views and stuff, it's just that the lack of :10bux: and the vc backing means that chuds and libertarians and poo poo have a strong foothold

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the only tech majors that have a proven ability to do more than one thing are microsoft and amazon, p much

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
by doin more than one thing i mean fuckin printing cash with it, so its amazon with exactly three things (the shop, prime membership and aws) and microsoft w three and a half (azure, office, windows, linkedin maybe)

goog has like one and a half (search, android is the half), fb has precisely one

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

apple used to do phones and computers well. their phones are still the shiniest turd, idk about their computers any more because I don't know what's going on with the apple silicon really. before that, though, they weren't very good but were kind of bouncing back

their computers are basically negligible business in comparison to phones

if they had a half, that half would actually be services. but services is a clever way to say the app store, and does that really count as not-the-phones?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

rjmccall posted:

as usual, apple’s colossal flop disgusting failures would be runaway successes if they weren’t being compared to the iphone

same with nearly every other one of the tech majors' businesses-that-dont-fuckin-print-money, really. money is a renormalized quantity!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

xtal posted:

Why are there so many nazis on HN? Capitalism, right?

no :10bux:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
all personality tools agree extraversion/introversion exist. thats it for the commonalities

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
except for extraversion/introversion!

only you cant sell a test for 60 bux if its just that one so you gotta pull poo poo out of your rear end

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ima tell you about the independence and identicality of psychological variables: none of them are independent and none of them are identical. binet iq is distributed lognormally empirically forex. its my fav explanation for the forer effect, "ur distributional ansatz is wrong and you should feel bad"

those tails are fat. both left and right tail

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yah ive been trying to type and post worse lately

its been goin well

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

rjmccall posted:

if it gets a manager thinking about how to deal with their reports as individuals with differences instead of demanding that they conform to a single idealized stereotype then it’s actually good despite all that

(narrator voice)

this did not happen

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

NihilCredo posted:

myers-briggs may well be lovely science but it's an excellent replacement for horoscopes and blood types and dnd alignments

people really like putting each other into fictional categories, for whatever reason. and if they get attached to sorta questionable science, that's a massive upgrade over getting attached to superstition in terms of general cultural level

kind of like how the neil tyson-retweeting IFLS kids are cringey but still way, way healthier than if they had been parroting some ignorant actor or singer's platitudes

use 5-factor ocean instead if you want something that replicates deec for psychology

or just use the e part cuz thats the part we're sure actually exists lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

alexandriao posted:

thats nice but then they go and ask for a blood sacrifice to make sales go up

ima note that the peeps who made the blood sacrifices in mesoamerica were mainly the emperors, the mass sacrifice was kinda a sideshow

and it had to be blood from their dick

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they got a great smilie in the r/relationships thread for this one

:murder::murder::murder:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we talkin about techlead on youtube, patrick shyu formerly of facebook formerly of goog formerly accounted among the married, not the actual throwaway acct