Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well, i mean, a lot of the investors are already retirement funds.

but they got rooked by an obvious scam, and i don't have a lot of pity for that

retirement funds don't tend to invest directly in private issuers, they go through PE firms, so it's not like they would have seen the wework financials. unless by "obvious scam" you are referring to the softbank vision fund in which case i have no objection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

p deece six figgy fucklords

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

fucklord is also suggestive of landlord and those are the real fucks, not the six figgy wage earners

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

he has an account but doesn't post anymore and i don't think he reads yospos

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

AFashionableHat posted:

I got downvote-brigaded today for saying "profit is an indicator of market inefficiency", because understanding the principles of the free markets that these loving dupes idolize is apparently a bridge too far.

but everyone knows that, it's why a stable business that generates profit will inevitably face competition

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

your cs degree was supposed to have given you enough sense and taste to not become a web dev

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

if you're a web dev you don't touch the database

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Mr.Radar posted:

Uber and Lyft are pulling out of California due to a recent court ruling requiring them to classify their drivers as employees and the hackers are maaaaaad they'll have to pay slightly more for taxi service.

oops never mind https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/20/21377841/uber-lyft-california-judge-block-emergency-stay-employees

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

here in california, the former mexican territory now ruled over by whites and asians, we have a constitutional provision forbidding the use of race in hiring decisions, i.e. forbidding affirmative action. there was a proposition on the ballot this year to repeal this provision. over 3 million more california democratic voters came out to support joe biden in this election than they did for obama in 2012. over 2 million more for biden than hillary clinton in 2016 too. did the proposition pass? gently caress no

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

wait wtf is Bel, what happened to Arc? oh i bet i have to rtfa. i will not

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

isn't the whole point of lisp that you implement your dialect *in lisp*, as macros, rather than creating a whole new language?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

the french people at inria who invented coq knew all about the english meaning from the beginning, they think it's funny. and having tried my hand at it, i must agree: coq is hard

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

a miserable pile of qsl cards

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

aubrey is the guy who goes on joe rogan and raises the money for the rest of those losers to waste on ultimately not solving aging

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

DuckConference posted:

should we update the thread title to "now serving a purpose since n-gate stopped" ?

he's still around, just fell behind, stay tuned

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

it is not me, my posting is nowhere near that good

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

tracecomplete posted:

I think this guy has my favorite set of brainworms on HN right now.

i mean, this is pretty much just traditionalist conservatism

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

the problem isn't out-of-order and speculative execution, the problem is that we assumed our virtual machine abstractions were perfect

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

I guarantee you that person doesn't actually understand basic social skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

MrQueasy posted:

I keep seeing people saying "oh, I can't be my TRUE SELF" at work, and all I can see is "well, your true self must be ridiculously lovely then".

I am a Dude with ADHD who was raised Libertarian/Catholic and a lot of times I cannot control the leap from brain to speech. (You guys should know, you have to read my posts) If _I_, an old man -- after nearly two decades of computer touching -- have not been pulled into HR and officially reprimanded for saying something lovely, then I think the average Jim-Bob should be able to as well.

Like, I'm not saying I'm perfect, or that I've never offended anyone. That's impossible. But come ON guys... there's a difference between having to apologize and make amends occasionally and being a Seriously lovely Human Being.

how can you be both libertarian and catholic? "well you see the most important thing politically is individual freedom, everyone should be able to do whatever they want as long as they aren't hurting others, traditions and institutions don't matter and aren't binding, well except for this one institution, you have to believe exactly what they say about everything or you're going to hell forever"