Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
dr-detroit 29 minutes ago

Of all the reasons to avoid so called social media this is probably the worst. How about the fact that the average person creates unoriginal and bad content or the fact that 99.9% of it is chad and staceys highschool dating simulator for adults? How about the fact that you've read 1984 and you wouldn't let someone limit you to grunting in 280 characters. Oh, and the real kicker -- its become a cringy subculture centered around mob mentality, bad behavior, and shouting down all the other voices as much as possible. Christ! Literally all of it is tightly controlled by corporations/government that invest billions in brain research. Give me a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018

fritz posted:

airstrike 4 hours ago [-]

I don't know. As the son of a High School teacher and an unemployed father from a third world country, I'm probably not what you call "smarter rich kid" yet I went to a top 5 MBA. Many of my classmates came from equally diverse backgrounds and nationalities. I think 30%+ of my class were foreigners.
But go on, it's easy to hate on MBAs. It's the one bigoted view everyone is seemingly allowed to have.

when will the racism against business majors end!?

animist
Aug 28, 2018
unscrupulous_sw 3 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: Gitlab: don't discuss politics at work

Just to chime in, I also unknowingly got myself labeled sexist when the topic came up during a random lunch with "friends" (company provided lunch so it had random people from HR and recruiting).

Somehow or another the topic of whether going for 50/50 will "lower the bar". So I started thinking about the problem mathematically like any engineer would, with statistical distributions and estimates of the existing pipeline and all. The more I said I am leaning towards that it will lower the bar, the more uncomfortable people around me looked.

I was too socially ignorant to realize we aren't talking about math problem here and that they don't want anything said that might weaken their cause, good faith argument or not.

After that I got no more women in my interview pipeline and a "talk" from my manager.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Mr.Radar posted:

This isn't unusual either. Throughout history oppressed groups have very frequently found refuge in the apolitical world of commerce. Just look at the history of Jews in Europe. Even when surrounded by a bigoted culture, trade and business ties encouraged tolerance and cooperation. The worse periods always tended to be the points where some ruler decided that politics all of a sudden needed to be injected into every sphere of life. Just look at the Spanish Inquisition or the Nuremberg Laws.

:piss:

animist
Aug 28, 2018

fritz posted:

codr7 11 days ago | parent | favorite | on: Magic Mushrooms Can Help Smokers Kick the Habit

Precious few mushrooms are truly poisonous.
And I've picked and eaten A LOT of supposedly dangerous ones, as well as other plants; something I suspect most people speaking out on the subject haven't.
As a matter of fact, I just got some red amanitas out of the freezer that I picked a few days ago. I'm going to fry them in butter with onions and garlic and make a lovely shroom sandwich.
Like amanitas, liberty caps have a very distinctive look. Soak them in water for a while if at all unsure, and only eat a small amount to begin with.
The really dangerous stuff is pushed by "science" and the people who come up with this FUD to sell their artificial, truly poisonous and addictive chemical cocktails for awesome profits instead.

:allears:

animist
Aug 28, 2018
everyone who posts on HN deserves to be mocked ruthlessly

animist
Aug 28, 2018
wait i wanna read some bad n-gate takes now

animist
Aug 28, 2018

animist
Aug 28, 2018
love too link towardsdatascience.com when positing how to solve a long-lasting social issue

animist
Aug 28, 2018

NihilCredo posted:

dreamcompiler 52 minutes ago [-]

I grew up around Christianity in the American south and this is very true. The genius of Christianity is that it's a mind virus: In order to be a good Christian you have to convert others to Christianity. It's the GPL of religions.

see there's a kernel of insight here, derailed by the author's complete lack of broader understanding or context. an excellent example of the more tragic variety of HN comments

animist
Aug 28, 2018
just learn spanish imo

alternatively, PIE

*tuH ksūlom dus

animist
Aug 28, 2018

lancemantis posted:

nerds really love to be conservative in a super verbose manner

it’s not enough to simply be a chud, one must write a dissertation about it

more words = more IQ. QED

animist
Aug 28, 2018
my grandparents are pathogists. they always joke about how good their bedside manner is

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Xik posted:

]
optimiz3 3 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: Tesla escalates battle over alleged theft of roboc...

China would be short sighted to cross Tesla right now. Tesla is way more valuable over the long term. It would ridiculously stupid to cross Tesla for a lovely copy of last year's code.

Prediction: The lawsuit will be prosecuted and resolved in favor of Tesla.

you might think it's silly to assert that Tesla, a failing car company, can threaten China, the most powerful geopolitical entity currently in existence. but, consider: what if they sold them more cars

animist fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 26, 2020

animist
Aug 28, 2018

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i utterly despise the :biotruths: nerds. spending all their free time writing 5000 word screeds reinventing eugenics with more epic Firefly references. just disgusting human beings

animist
Aug 28, 2018
dude openly admitting he does not know how to gently caress in a way that won't get him called a rapist :thunk:

animist
Aug 28, 2018

fritz posted:

foobar_ 3 hours ago [–]

I'm not insane ... you are just the type of person who will defend roman numerals. Maybe you just have OCD.
1. Socrates is mortal
2. Mortals die
3. Socrates dies
Deduction is really like amazing. Holy poo poo we really proved something spectacular here. I guess you would be really impressed if I used tau and sigma and defined death with vietnamese alphabet.
Almost the entirety of calculus was derived from problems related to physics. Volumes were calculated for doing engineering. Mathematics != Thinking. The last time I checked both logic and critical thinking were branches of philosophy.
All good mathematicians are physicists or engineers. Heck some even learnt maths on their own. All mediocre mathematicians write textbooks and hide behind notations. Come to think of it they remind me of OO programmers in their utter arrogant mediocrity. Most abstract mathematics is like the definition of protocols/interfaces and other platonic garbage. I suppose this debate will never end. Plato vs Aristotle, Deduction vs Induction, Analytic vs Synthetic ....

animist
Aug 28, 2018

rjmccall posted:

oil spills are much better for atmospheric co2 than actually using the oil :science:

it's all fun and games until somebody sets the ocean on fire :colbert:

animist
Aug 28, 2018
you'd think they wouldn't mind working with tables since all webshit is basically just laying out tables and slapping on some css

animist
Aug 28, 2018
that's also category theory, neoclassical economics, and string theory lol

animist
Aug 28, 2018
nah I just meant, they're all based on vague unfalsifiable rulesets masquerading as "obvious" or "fundamental" truths. string theory's similar, it's an argument "this math is so beautiful so it's obviously gotta be scientifically true". but according to particle accelerators... doesn't look like it, at least so far.

e: like string theory the math is fine, but all the physicists who keep being surprised we're not finding the particles predicted by string theory because "it was such a nice story so we were sure it was true"

animist fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 12, 2021

animist
Aug 28, 2018
im a rational line intactivist

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Mr.Radar posted:

Now think for a moment, can you construct a sentence that is at all logical, that doesn't move the goalposts or do any linguistic trickery, that could possibly describe where our universe came from? Don't worry about it being true, just a reasonable sentence that obeys the laws of cause and effect?

I believe that human language has not yet reached a point where it could describe anything like that. If that has true we have debated for centuries about a question that even if an individual knew the answer they would be unable to express it to anyone else.

nobody tell this guy about wittgenstein

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Qwertycoatl posted:

5. The elites have somehow inverted history so they now believe that it is not censorship that is the favored tool of fascists and authoritarians, even though every fascist and despot in history used censorship to maintain power, but instead believe free speech, free discourse, and free thought are the instruments of repression.

censorship is when a corporation does a minor board restructuring

animist
Aug 28, 2018
that's just logic

animist
Aug 28, 2018

lot going on there

animist
Aug 28, 2018
clearly the solution is to write a separate implementation for your backup

animist
Aug 28, 2018

mystes posted:

Hmm, okay, but for safety let's use formal methods to prove it has all of the same bugs as the original.

:hmmyes:

animist
Aug 28, 2018
you could allow people to put annotations on their posts describing how to render them. like <blink>PENIS ENLARGEMENT PILLS</blink> to more effectively reach your audience for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i like to think of myself as more of a brown noise poster