Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
bsenftner 2 hours ago [–]

At the risk of sounding racist, Asian culture respect their commons to a significantly larger degree than non-Asian cultures. If the Singapore residential skyscrapers where in the United States, for example, the space between the buildings would be a no-mans zone of graffiti, illegal trade, and youth gangs.

Edit: hahahaha

sershe 17 minutes ago [–]

1km or especially 2km is not in any way a reasonable walk. It is just barely reasonable for a healthy adult in good weather, and still tedious.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

lobsterminator posted:

"Youth gangs" now that's an expression I haven't heard since the 90s.

Yeah, I looked him up he's a late boomer in LA, so it fits that his conception of the world froze during that early 90s pop culture where cities were hot sweaty jungles of gangs a la Demolition Man, Predator 2, Falling Down, etc

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Tootsie is BACK, in pog form!

treeman79 12 hours ago [–]

Had to quit a company last year due to bigotry.
Constant bashing of white men on company calls. Exceptions if you were openly non straight. They also loved talking about how inclusive they were.

Constant mocking of customer base, who was mostly traditional white people.

I figure out quick I was hired only because they were desperate for someone with experience.

Which sadly meant hiring an undesirable.

At some point if I really need a job I may need to put on a dress.

DocTomoe 0 minutes ago [–]

At what point does a mock become acceptable?
Even today there are companies, especially in the tech startup scene, which actively discriminate against "cisgender white males". It is extremely likely that even today, people put on the mask of the currently favoured sexual identity to land a job. Not to mock trans people, just to get ahead in life.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
hahaha oh my god, the basecamp thread is incredible

JPKab 12 hours ago [–]

No, it's not.
Where do you think this ideology and hypersensitivity originated?

> edoceo 11 hours ago [–]

> I'm curious, was it academia? I mean, is there an origin story? I don't even know what terms search.

>>bthazos 10 hours ago [–]

>>Probably. The historical origins are beyond me, but anecdotally I thought the 1994 movie PCU must've dealt a mortal blow to the political correctness movement because I stopped hearing about it and no one around me treated it as a real thing. In hindsight, the resurgence of mom jeans in the last decade should have planted seeds of worry in many a gen-xer.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
He’s trying so hard to not talk about ~urban areas~ but is still wrong. Chicago grew 2%, while the state lost 0.1 percent overall. It’s true, southern illinois loving sucks and is losing people. Also I’m sure everyone knows California and New York gained people, though not as fast as some southern states. But yeah shuttering businesses ok. And of course lol at gene therapy referring to Covid vaccine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Traffic Twofer!

rayiner 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

I grew up in Northern VA. Public transit here is a solution looking for a problem. The job centers and commercial are too spread out for public transit to make any sense. Most of the population and jobs in the DC metro area aren’t in DC but spread around in Tysons, Loudoun, Reston, Arlington, Bethesda, etc. The state spent billions building the Silver line out to Tysons, Reston, and Loudoun, and ridership was disappointing even before COVID. (And it’s approximately zero now.) In a traditional hub-and-spoke city like Chicago, heavy rail can bring tons of commuters down to where the jobs are in the core. But when the jobs are spread out all over the spokes, that model breaks down. It’s impossible to take Metro to Reston from most of the surrounding residential areas (all the ones except the narrow slice on the Silver line itself). And it’s a huge pain in the rear end to do the spoke-hub-spoke commute and take Metro from a different suburb to Reston. And for married couples, it’s a real roll of the dice whether both your jobs will be easily accessible via Metro.
Rail transit is an anachronism, best suited for the 1950s when life involved a woman staying home with the kids while dad took the train into the city for work. I did that for a year before my wife started her job and it was lovely (took Metro North down from Westchester to Manhattan every day). But in a modern family with two jobs in two locations, plus kids with daycare and school and after school activities, it’s not scalable.

My wife and I are “city people.” We really tried to scale the transit lifestyle. We lived in downtown Baltimore for two years and took Amtrak to work each day. We lived in downtown DC and took Metro. We’ve commutes in the Silver line, Orange line, Blue line, MARC, etc. And every year the service got worse, and every time we had another kid the equation got harder to balance. Eventually we threw in the towel, moved to a red county, and bought an SUV that gets 13 mpg. And we’ve never looked back.

You want to know what the future of America looks like? Go to the Dallas suburbs. That’s where all the immigrants with kids are, and where the next generation of Americans are being raised. It’s a glorious place. And it doesn’t involve public transit.

whatshisface 1 hour ago

I've never understood how inducing demand doesn't count as success. That means people want to use the road, doesn't it? It's almost like saying that releasing new software doesn't do anything to help users, because it increases the demand for software by the virtue of its own utility more than it reduces the demand for software by keeping people busy.