Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I got my second Pfizer dose the day before it snowed and then threw out my other arm from shoveling a foot of snow off my driveway, so therefore vaccines are bad for everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

sure Hans Reiser killed his wife but that’s just 10% of his life’s work, history should judge him on the merits of his bad file system

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mr.Radar posted:

(HOA-funded) police departments

the old ladies in the neighborhood bridge club who control the HOA board can already foreclose on your house, great let’s give them guns too

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

in retrospect I gotta wonder if the x files and stuff like its black oil mythology did way more to normalize batshit insane conspiratorial thinking than we thought

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

quote:

landemva 7 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

2600 was holding up until they went full social justice woke corona anti-Trump hating the past two years. Really sad to watch.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

quote:

aspax 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

Indeed. Every time I read a post like the grandparent I move closer to full-blown antivaxx.

quote:

globular-toast 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]
When I see threads like these with all the buried/flagged comments I get strong "dangerous thinking" vibes. I won't be taking any more of these.

AccountToUse 1 hour ago | parent | next [–]
Any more booster shots? Any more vaccines?

globular-toast 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]
Booster shots. Something doesn't smell right. People on all sides are scared and I don't think rational thought is being applied any more.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

zo1 45 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

I'm one of those evil capitalists/ libertarians.

But I'd be 100% for us to give everyone housing if and only if we stop incentivizing the unproductive to multiply or letting in the whole world. Sure take care of the suffering, the orphans, the disabled etc. But don't go around paying people to multiply as if they're a cattle herd, it's demeaning and makes people's value trend to zero.

After it trends to zero we then turn around and complain how the "capitalists did it".

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

don’t do (thing I describe in incredibly dehumanizing language), it would be dehumanizing to those people

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

userbinator 9 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

Not saying I condone it, but seeing how lifeless and sterile (no pun intended...!) most software has become, and how quick people have gotten to take offense at everything, I almost wish "spicy" stuff like this would show up more often

(the poster here was commenting on a story about how a malicious actor contributed false Ukrainian translations to Ubuntu 23.10 with antisemitic and otherwise offensive text)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

herpdyderp 1 hour ago | parent | prev | next [–]

I didn't read it but am still participating.
Since I've been aware of this story for quite some time, the fact that it finally happened is all that really matters to me (which the headline covers, assuming it's correct). I probably know all the details already, unless something really unexpected happened.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

perihelions 2 hours ago | undown | prev [–]

I think it's fine if libraries die out. The pirate libraries are superior in every way, for every class of reader. And they'll only get better over time.
A pirate can search 10 million works and seamlessly switch to reading one. How can the Balkanized e-book library model possibly keep up? A pirate can run a local LLM for natural-language queries, and find a semantic needle in a thousand-page haystack; or select a dozen excerpts and present them side-by-side for immediate comparison. How can the clunky system of DRM-locked lending e-book readers compete? Near-future. A personal LLM could track a researcher's progress page by page, and pro-actively recommend reading suggestions for an individual chapter from an individual book from a million-volume library—and instantly display it, highlighting special lines, glossing words, annotating jargon, hyperlinking (other) books, writing explanations in the marginalia, translating languages. Transformative creations. What's the poor schmuck stuck in Andrew Carnegie's library doing?
The capability gulf is going to grow unfathomably wider. People who read to learn, to comprehend, to get things done, who care about their childrens' education, will undoubtedly end up choosing the superior tools. The other half is going to become a sad cautionary tale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

also fizzbuzz is one of the most documented programming problems on the internet, so probably playing a bit to the strengths of a model built on scraping that same internet

llm fixes typos in your term paper about shakespeare so it can clearly also write you a sonnet that will stand the test of time