Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

a friend who studied aero engineering then medicine said to me that medicine was "easier" in some ways because you just had to remember lots of stuff, not actually like derive where the leg bone is from first principals or whatever. he's now a surgeon though which I believe I would classify as "holy poo poo" levels of difficult and responsible whereas ofc computer touching has basically zero responsibility [derails thread with the Therac example again]

klafbang posted:

You mean there’s no OTA update for fixing Ebola?

glue your ports shut op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

lol at the idea that what's "holding back google" is radical ideology and not, say, the relentless chasing of every cent from advertising by harvesting personal data and inability to execute a product anybody wants outside of it for the last decade

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

fritz posted:

finexplained 9 minutes ago [–]

> there are people who don’t experience “this thing is good, i wish to contribute” or “this has brought me joy, i wish to give something back”
I have literally never experienced this feeling. I've thought about why I haven't a lot, and for me I think it's because I have no inherent sense of "community".

[insert Linux distro of choice] user spotted

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

kitten emergency posted:

rocq around the clock

rocq out with your coq out

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I tried using typescript once which needs about 9 billion node packages and if that's your "best DX" you can shove it up your rear end

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Penisface posted:

yeah, although i never felt rap and the associated clothing style is so obviously aggressive-violent when compared to metal (leather, studs, spikes, etc.)

can't imagine a rap album titled kill em all either

i guess the difference is that metal is overt and direct in it's messaging, rap not so much really? i don't know too much about rap so i'll not hypothesize further

quoting because lmao

edit:

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 9, 2021

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

In the UK at least there is an engineering Council accrediting body for computer touching that can award titles, I know because they wouldn't let me claim chartered status because I couldn't show enough project management experience or something (this is pretty funny by itself imo)

so i got one level down and can legally put IEng after my name, I wind up my real engineer friends by telling them that idiots like me are devaluing the profession

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

dioxazine posted:

jade emperor in heaven, i don't know what to say if you can tolerate a 3 hour commute and act like it's a daily treat

home workers can have a little commute, as a treat

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jabor posted:

what if they're both good

lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

fritz posted:

fallingknife 40 minutes ago [–]

> but doctors can't always predict this and aren't perfect decision making machines
So mass screen healthy people, collect the data, run models, and get better at it. People like you would rather not try, and this is the same reaction I get from doctors. Applying the same tech that we use to improve ad targeting to disease prediction is a no brainer to anyone whose cushy job doesn't depend on the current medieval state of medical technology.

"That's funny, the computer keeps recommending boner pills for everything...oh well who am I to second guess an all knowing machine?"

anyway didn't google try this already and it turned out that biology is hard and they just gave up

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

fritz posted:

Tabular-Iceberg 40 minutes ago [–]

It's a marshmallow test on a national scale.
You're a public institution and the taxpayer gives you a marshmallow with the expectation of using it to create some public good. You can eat the whole marshmallow yourself and feel pretty good for a while, but after that you'll have nothing but a heap of dirt (and soon that heap will be washed into the sea).
You can take a bite for yourself and get a dysfunctional society, but at least you and your countrymen get some kind of half decent jobs, food on the table, education and healthcare.
You can just nibble a little on the edge, and you get western society.
What happens if you save the whole marshmallow? Who knows.

genuinely expected this to end with "but if you trade the marshmallow for bitcoin...."

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

eschaton posted:

someone should make a text generation bot trained on the full corpus of HN comments (weighted by number of responses, of course) and then just set it loose on HN under an alias

feed it the story and other comments for a prompt

when someone replies, feed it the comment and reply for a prompt

etc

redeploy the yospos postbots

Jabor posted:

also describes adolf hitler

that's who I thought it was gonna be lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I did a merge that removed something like 100k lines of code, thus making me the best programmer in the company by a significant margin

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I came very close to saying "rust evangelism strike force" at work the other day

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

matti posted:

WalterBright 2 days ago | parent | prev | next [–]

In Seattle anyway, 90% of the homeless are either drug addicts or alcoholics. Becoming one is a choice under your control, not god smiting you.

is this loving clown for real

I'm a ~~lifestyle~~ alcoholic tyvm

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

"women stay at home" or "13mpg SUV" truly these are the only two possible answers to "how do I get to work?"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

the beta web browser user Vs the chad awful app reader

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

punished milkman posted:

i’m sorry but wtf are tree kids

it were just last week, a woman in ar

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

fritz posted:

cogman10 1 hour ago | prev | next [–]

Asbestos encapsulates a problem with society at large. We, unfortunately, are simply too binary in our thinking "Oh, asbestos causes cancer? We better purge it from everything everywhere".
The context of when and why (and to who) asbestos causes cancer is simply ignored.
This sort of problem exists everywhere. If something bad happens or is caused by something (politics, economics, etc) we are simply too quick to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
From a tech standpoint, I see this a lot. Postgres at my current company got banned because one team one time had a bad experience with it (after they misused it).

eagerly looking forward to the warning signs saying "warning: postgres inside, do not enter" on buildings

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

A finger pointing at the moon and then immediately inserted in the pointer's butt.

lol if I wasn't at work I'd do a "two guys pointing" meme of this

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

is that that insane "must have as many children as possible to spread my obviously good genes and bring forth the kwisatz hederach" couple?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

i clicked on the profile to see what other deranged poo poo they post and holy hell

oh no it's Expo7000

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Grim Up North posted:

Yes, but no! Technically, horcruxes were backups, but the emotional weight of the concept came from splitting your soul, lessening your essence as you hedge against danger.
Partial backups follow the spirit of the idea better.
As an aside, I read the concept as an attack on promiscuity. "Whore crux". Contrast to Lord of the Rings' assault on marriage, where wearing the ring makes you invisible and slowly fade into nothingness, "like butter being scraped over too much bread".

lmao

e: I am going to straight face say that to my wife lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

how about some context? because i have no idea what they're talking about and they're pretty boring about it

actually there is 2000 years of context because you see Marcus Aurelius said....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

kliras posted:

love too unironically talk like a deus ex character

goodluckchuck 6 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

Post-truth is the greatest step toward truth in human history. For centuries the clergy, government, media, and corporations have owned the Truth and defined the Overton window. Post-truth’s overwhelming flood of true, false, and irrelevant claims is empowering critical thinking. It’s offering freedom.

The printing press led to the renaissance. The internet is now leading a new one.

There will continue to be protests by the establishment powers, and unfortunately there will likely be conflict. The fall of monarchies was not without bloodshed. Hopefully we can find a way to achieve similar progress this time around without the same loss of life.

aquinas posted about the city on the hill and furthermore...