Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

rjmccall posted:

oil spills are much better for atmospheric co2 than actually using the oil :science:

isn't it going to end up oxidizing in one way or another on a timespan of decades? or maybe not if it sinks into the deep ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

f430 1 hour ago [–]

Look the RCMP isn't going to raid a startup because they find human rights violation going on
Sure we got watchdogs but those are meant for blue collar workers with union.

> However, Canada is also filled with self-righteous descendants (I mean it culturally) of puritans who take it upon themselves to adjudicate others.

I 100% AGREE. When I dated an 18yo everybody flipped and said I was the worst.

> (Quebec excepted. They're cool. Also, not Canada)

I love Montreal man. It is the Thailand of Canada. When I went there I felt free for the first time in my 30+ years in Canada.
Where are you now? I am thinking of moving to Thailand or Japan where people aren't so uppity about dating young women (or men, I respect all orientation)

do these guys not realize everyone knows that they're a creepy pedo or do they do this intentionally so they can meet others of their kind?

actually do pedophiles even want to hang out together?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

from a thread about how Arizona inmates are being held past their sentences because the software doesn't have features to handle early releases:

"sorry buddy, we found a bug in the software and it says you don't get out, we know Jeff's code isn't real great but it's still legally binding, you're just gonna have to stay in prison"

this person has clearly never been anywhere near software development, which is a surprisingly large demographic on hackernews

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

n-gate is great this week

quote:

Paul Graham takes a break from telling people how to think, in order to focus on a more general-interest topic with a broader audience: himself. The result is a fourteen-thousand-word morass constituting the slug track left by a spoiled clown with no meaningful contributions to make to anything. Hackernews continues to be in love. One focus of their adoration is Paul Graham's toy programming language, Bel, which also serves as a flawless analogy for its author: presented with every chance to succeed, recipient of years and years of people's time and attention, only to turn out to be a completely ineffective collection of text on a website, of use to nobody.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/how-to-become-an-intellectual-in-silicon-valley-timms

quote:

You’re joining the movement at a good time. These are golden days for the philosopher-VC. Moore’s Law states that the power of computing doubles every two years. Paul’s Law states that the population of VC intellectuals increases at a similarly exponential rate. This law takes its name, of course, from Paul Graham, the man who has done more than anyone else to make the venture capitalist not simply an investor of other people’s money but a critical thinker on politics and society. From his pithy Twitter feed to his legendary blog, the cofounder of Y Combinator has exhibited an unrivaled capacity to be consistently wrong on all the great questions of the age—or so his critics would have you believe. And this is the man’s special strength: the more the online mob criticizes him, the more right he’s convinced he is, and the stronger he grows. “Counterintuitive as it sounds,” he recently tweeted, “I’m always encouraged when I publish a new essay and get showered with insults. Showered = lots of people saw it, and insults = there were no big mistakes in it for them to refute.” Studying the great man’s Twitter feed—understanding both his obsessions and his style—will offer a sturdy template for you to follow as you embark on your career as a VC intellectual. (Obsessions = the things he is interested in. Style = the way he writes.) But he is not the only peer whose work you should become familiar with. Consider also Sam Altman, who once argued that “we have to allow people to say disparaging things about gay people if we want them to be able to say novel things about physics”; or Vinod Khosla’s pioneering contributions to the fight against public beach access (sample wisdom from Khosla Ventures website: “We believe change depends on unreasonable people”); or even Keith Rabois, who joined Khosla’s investment firm on the strength of its whiteboards and now knows more about residential real estate than probably anyone in the United States, according to Keith Rabois.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Nomnom Cookie posted:

what is that man doing to his dataset

quote:

goat z score

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

should we update the thread title to "now serving a purpose since n-gate stopped" ?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

one of the reasons that i was so keen to go zero-commute was that i get motion sick if i try to use a computer on the bus or bay area trains (the VTA basically follows car routes), so i couldn't reasonably take advantage of the "work on the train/bus" thing

i've always assumed that aside from joining meetings, and maybe a rare time-critical one line fix, that working on the bus/train was mostly performative. maybe I'm wrong though?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i clicked on a link that turned out to be the Hn thread on the abortion decision, first comment was of course

quote:

I'll be the begrudging devils advocate...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

man in the eyeball hat posted:

is there documentation that is entertaining for the reader? the thought of "fun" documentation just feels like its aiming for the front page of reddit

those old linear technologies datasheets by jim