Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Your salary is a direct numerical measure of your bargaining power against your employer by definition. These idiots are going to be kicking themselves when they try to unionize when their salary has been cut to $50k in a decade instead of doing it right now when their salary is $150k+

Mind you a successful union also needs to have solidarity outside its very narrow member base, but there was that story earlier itt where the overwhelming response to google cafeteria workers unionizing was "good."

On hn. Randroid shitrobot central.

Kinda think it went under the radar how big a deal that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol

"Stop posting relevant facts!!"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Definitely productive to get into a crab mentality pissing match about one group of people who sell their labor vs another group of people who sell their labor

Any raising of class consciousness in the labor force is a good thing, though it could always stand to happen faster.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If ever you needed even more proof that Mike Bloomberg is a cold blooded psychopath, consider the fact that this guy has 70 billion dollars or whatever and still gets up early enough to call 5 am meetings with his underlings

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

fritz posted:

kragen 3 hours ago [-]

Mathematicians are perfectly capable of doing all those self-care things, as monks do in every monastery. (By contrast, non-mathematicians are unable to build anything larger than a small hut without help from mathematicians in the form of geometry.)
I don't know of a single mathematician who has ODed on amphetamines, although of course amphetamines have been popular with mathematicians since they were discovered; and I know of only one who voted for Trump (Dan Kleitman), although undoubtedly others exist. The doses of amphetamines conducive to doing mathematics are about two orders of magnitude lower than the lethal doses, so it seems unlikely that someone who takes them to improve concentration rather than for euphoria would OD accidentally, as heroin users frequently do.
Funding is only necessary to the extent that it helps keep the torch-wielding villagers away from the gate. To the extent that it subjects mathematical research to political tests, it is not only unnecessary, but counterproductive.
If my filter bubble includes Bruno, Socrates, Mozi, Gödel, Turing, and Archimedes, I think its radius is adequate.
I think the downvoting of my "tirade" to -2 has shown that non-mathematicians hate and fear mathematicians, think that all those killings of mathematicians I listed were reasonable and justified, and would like to silence any criticism of them.

Beep boop

BLORT

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i've noticed n-gate using the yospos "computer touchers" vernacular more often

reveal yourself

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Black-eyed techno-fascist sociopaths like the dwellers of Silicon Valley are an excellent demonstration of why exposure to arts and humanities is essential for a well-rounded adult.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

fritz posted:

scandox 1 day ago | parent | favorite | on: HR tech companies laying people off: was it overdu...

> people need to get from place to place, and it’s very hard to build and run an airline.
Why is it hard? Seems like the dumbest possible business. I mean I think a restaurant would be harder. There's more subtle unknowns in food than there is in carrying people from A to B.
Educate me because I don't get it.

hosed up that people this powerfully stupid are even allowed to operate a motor vehicle unsupervised

*driving the wrong way down an interstate* "To be very open with you here I'll be the first to admit I have no idea what I am doing. I'm just being rational. It's very regrettable that people choose to get so emotional about such simple subjects such as this one, but it really doesn't seem to be as difficult as everybody makes it out to be, maybe I'm just not understanding though? I mean if you simply take a few moments to think about this calmly and rationally then activity is conceptually isomorphic to reversing a linked list, and in many ways it is much simpler, so I'm sure anybody who has completed even a sufficiently diligent self-directed course of study in computer science couldn't figure it out from first principles. Again, I am approaching as a humble learner with no emotional preconcep- *smashes through bridge guard rail, falling into a river and dies*"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i have very bad news for that guy if he thinks HPV is the same thing as HSV

("that guy" possibly being nbsd since i don't see any mention of the latter in that post anywhere)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nah most of them aren't white supremacists, they're just cool and normal people who go from zero to 1488 in a heartbeat as soon as they as a group are even moderately inconvenienced. big difference.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

uncurable mlady posted:

taibbi is mostly right in that substack piece

it's political correctness gone mad stu

can't even say all lives matter any more

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

salisbury shake posted:

"They are agitating for genocide now. The BLM has received so much money what else could be the objective?"

Fascists hold that the opposite of white supremacy is some bullshit notion of "black supremacy". That they will receive the same treatment from black populations as those black populations received at their hands.

They really cannot model any sort of interactions between people through the lens of anything other than conquest and dominance, be it business, dating, or groups of people inhabiting the same space. This poo poo is terrifying.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
of all the kinds of poverty that unyoked capitalism unleashes upon the world why is its poverty of imagination the most depressing

(idk how to rephrase that in a way that doesn't make me sound completely up my own rear end)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I can imagine Reddit having a particularly coke-headed Chief Growth Officer just because of how loving obnoxious every single aspect of an inbound interaction with their absolute disastrous shitfire of a website is.

You can't even read a thread easily, it goes out of its way to try to DRIVE ENGAGEMENT elsewhere in their site

gently caress!! i hate reddit!!! it loving sucks folks!!!!!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yes, when those wealthy stockbrokers and extorters of poor nations died, and those twin monuments to extractive imperialism crumbled, a precious piece of me died with them. i think all of us were in a dark place on that fateful Tuesday.

haha jk. seriously though my heartfelt condolences go out to the families of the hard-working cleaners, delivery people, and personal assistants who were caught in the collapse. i hope they managed to find some measure of comfort and stability after the loss of their loved ones.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

salisbury shake posted:

sure this is dumb take... but I wonder how this poster feels about murder

rabite 38 minutes ago | parent [–] | on: LSD Chemist William Pickard to Be Released from Pr...

Yeah but the giant protests occupying cities for weeks are not about psychedelics sentences at all. They are generally in support of the state of things, funded by hostile billionaires in hopes that small businesses will be destroyed and that any potential competition in the middle class will disappear with them. People aren't asking for lower LSD sentences, they are demanding an end to "racism" and some kind of penance because a career violent criminal with heart disease passing counterfeit currency overdosed on fentanyl while being arrested.

rabite 5 months ago | parent [–] | on: The ReiserFS Filesystem (2000)

Reiser is up for parole this year. The hearing is in March. I myself don't have a lot of public respectability, but if you are a CS PhD or occupy a notable position at a tech company you might be able to mail the parole board. Murdering your wife is detestable but I don't think he will ever find another woman to marry him and I don't think he would commit murder under any other circumstances. I don't think he is a continuing danger to society and the world would benefit if Reiser were allowed to continue his work.

Achievement Unlocked: Long way around saying the N word

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
These idiots are finally going to wake up to the correct course of action (loving UNIONIZE) long after the horse has bolted and management already has too much leverage for it to be at all easy to pull off. It's not quite that bad yet but it will be quite soon and they're still not waking up and smelling the coffee really.

If only somebody had warned them ahead of time, like say any time in the last ten twenty years or so.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
One day, when they're all grown up and successful, they'll be complete and utter psychopaths like Mike Bloomberg, who has more money than God and yet still feels the need to schedule 5 AM meetings with his underlings

Thanks Mom and Dad

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Look I just think the uniforms look snappy okay

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MononcQc posted:

lognoise 37 minutes ago [–]

I'd work for the devil himself for 500k/year, and just convince myself he was misunderstood.

"Blood on your hands" - oh boo-boo.

Blood washes out.

This literally describes the vast majority of yosposters, so, you know, glass houses.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
eh, kubernetes has some baseline level of complexity but it's as complicated as you make it.

if you deploy it yourself and use helm and a bunch of operator bullshit then yeah it can be a mess.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Probably more to do with the fact that all modern ciphers make heavy use of 32-bit ALU ops although TLS and X.509 being heaving garbage fires doesn't exactly help matters.

Gemini is nice but it has no provision for logging in to things. Because that would be "user tracking".

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

dads friend steve posted:

gently caress that motherfucker

Seriously. Everybody here should the C-SPAM LatAm thread some time. You have to meter yourself though, I can only make it about two or three pages at a time before I feel like I'm about to black out from rage.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I think this is literally a Nasreddin parable except the animal in question is a donkey

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
*my program throws an unhandled exception*

This is literally worse than the Armenian Genocide[1].

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I use Syncthing instead because PHP is haraam

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

fritz posted:

wint (@dril) 20 hours ago [–]

Ah, because you called them "minors". I'm sorry for you, if you really live in that world.
Edit: should have probably used a less harsh tone. Sorry. I'll blame it on being misinterpreted so badly, but still.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Japan already has the world's longest rail tunnel from the main island of Honshu to Hokkaido in the north.

The undersea segment is almost 15 miles long!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
die for Number

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Never quite understood the difference between "trolling" and "flamebait" myself

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
you say that and then n-gate immediately posts an update :colbert: we're on to you

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

tracecomplete posted:

It's the demand software folks have put on hardware folks that have made that a progressively more integral part of that hardware.

you can just say webshits you know

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if we could build a scalable system for harvesting stuff from nerd shoulders we could solve the IC shortage overnight

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

quote:

opinions

oh_you_know_the_ones.tweet

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
you do not, in fact, "gotta hand it to them"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
eight hours a day five days a week was also a "radical demand" once upon a time, and the bosses dropped bombs from privately owned aircraft onto the workers fighting for it

they don't even need to do that any more because the population in the united states is currently exhibiting levels of peasant mentality not seen since the middle ages

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
maybe i'm telling on myself a bit here but i've always wondered how people like that manage the evolution of their database schema

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
paging @internetofshit

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I miss the days when they let you listen to the cockpit radios on one of the armrest channels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there's no theorem that describes the "correct" way to describe a solution to a computer any more than there is a "correct" way to describe things to a human

teach programming like creative writing because the two activities are more alike than a lot of people care to admit