Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Re: Mill Computing, is it really considered just some kind of grift, i mean, VC, for that CPU Santa dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
^ you rang?

quote:

BrendanEich 4 hours ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: Mozilla lays off 70

Remember, I'm the bad guy. Ignore this looting operation amid market share tanking, also do please ignore past board members tied to Epstein. It's all about me. :-/

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
https://twitter.com/paulg/status/1218210094481055751

e: just in case the berk deletes it:

quote:

If you ask parents what they want for their kids, many will say "I just want them to be happy." But there are drugs that achieve this, and taking them results in disaster. So that is probably not what we should want.

(Thanks to @moigottweets for pointing this out to me.)

Switzerland fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 17, 2020

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Mr.Radar posted:

HN's moderation team, everyone:

Everything in this thread, and past HN threads, is fine. But a typo in a random comment halfway down the page of a story halfway down the page (which, BTW, has nothing to do with technology)? That's what's really deserving of their time and attention.

dang is Good People™, yo :(

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

quote:

Ask HN: Can aquarium UV lights be used to kill coronavirus?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Shot:

quote:

Ask HN: Could mushrooms prevent Covid-19?
I found this patent on Google while searching for Coronavirus + Paul Stamets. Has anyone done research on this?

Green-text username chaser:

quote:

I had a terrible case of the flu between Dec 31 and Jan 24 while living in SF. It was so bad, I thought I was gonna die, and so I picked up some shrooms to cope with the pain, and my symptoms went away for about 16 hours.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
"y'see, the nazi swastika is rotated. my numerous tattoos, on the other hand, are the correct way, as dictated by the OG aryans of the Indian subcontinent."

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
btw what happened to n-gate? last post was from august last time i checked?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Sapozhnik posted:

maybe i'm telling on myself a bit here but i've always wondered how people like that manage the evolution of their database schema

the ol' import/export db.sql razzmatazz!

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
is there a term for "i've been touching computers all day every day since i was 2 years old. I bend the computer to my will and every whim, therefor my ideas and beliefs in wholly unrelated fields MUST be valid, too" ?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
hn thread: Clearly it's not a one-off, better commit crimes against humanity

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

quote:

nyc111 8 minutes ago | undown | parent | context | unflag | favorite | on: What happens when a school bans smartphones? A complete transformation

Those phones contain all the knowledge the school pretends to teach the students. Techers are worried because they see telephones as competition.

This would be a nice experiment: Divide the students into two groups and let one group come to school without phones and let the other group stay home and learn the same material from their phones. If the material to be learned is well-defined I believe that students staying at home with their phones will learn the material much faster.

The only good thing about the school is that you get to hang out with your peers. The education system is not good for teaching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Our worldly gentlemen have even more opinions on art!

quote:

alx_the_new_guy 51 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Devin: AI Software Engineer

Art as a concept is basically meaningless these days.

What is art? Apparently, anything can be art, so what's the difference between art and not_art?

From my personal experience, it is used more as a lovely excuse for substandard/lame/overpriced stuff to exist. And to boost it's creator's ego.

AI certainly isn't really doing it, just as people aren't.

gently caress art.