Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Pile Of Garbage posted:

someone gave the weird comic guy a job?

Google did and he could not even last there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

fritz posted:

raxxorrax 25 minutes ago [–]

Isn't every man an incel between sexual intercourse?

lol i came to post this

it was in response to this

pfisch 1 hour ago [–]

Calling a person an NPC is a good way to throw away your credibility and sound like an incel.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

alexandriao posted:

Internet Janitor 6 hours ago | parent [-]
it's still a story about a young, unappreciated nerd who one day discovers he is rich beyond his wildest dreams, a superior being to the humans who previously trod upon him, and instantly recognized by his peers as a wizard of legendary power. whisked away to a private school for gifted children, he does whatever he pleases as adults consistently turn a blind eye, and everyone who takes a disliking to him either comes around quickly enough or is unmasked as a villain suitable for unceremonious murder. the wizarding world is governed by utterly impotent, classist plutocrats who have spent over a decade cowering in fear at a wizard who was unable to murder an infant

there's a reazon yudkowsky found the premise so enchanting he felt compelled to write fanfiction about what he would do in this situation

Hammerite 1 hour ago | parent [–]
so your objection to it is that it's childish wish fulfilment? well it's written for an audience of 12-year-olds

which is a better reason to look for something else to read than anything you said

:discourse:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Plorkyeran posted:

i am serious. a box which is just running nginx and serving funy pages has not "already been hacked and is already serving malware" just because you only occasionally update it rather than actively following security bulletins.

your completely ignoring the vector that HTTPS addresses: MitM

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Plorkyeran posted:

correct, i was responding to a claim unrelated to whether or not running a http-only site is a good idea.

ah yeah so you were. my bad

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Armitag3 posted:

Fast to show you a blank screen most of the time

and nothing of value was lost

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
don’t think it was glib

ly3xqhl8g9 5 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Sure, I was merely thinking out loud (bad move it seems from the children comments) how to solve the "need billions, got maybe millions" issue, and since I can't get stable diffusion out of my mind, as everyone recently, I just saw it as a possible light at the end of the tunnel: why not let the machine implement the specification.
I am all for going back at the roots, but at the root of all the roots is the enduser: the machine must do something useful, otherwise it's a niche postmodernist art contraption (not that there's anything wrong with that).

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

quote:

moose_man 1 hour ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Military shoots down another high-altitude object,...

China could do the same thing if they wanted. That isn't a good excuse to violate national airspace. Maybe they want to intercept cell phone data.

quote:

georgeg23 26 minutes ago | prev [–]

And try to compete with Starship??

Judging from Alibaba, airships are more Chinese specialty.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

for some reason this is the most infuriating hn post

i couldn’t help but say “what an idiot” after I read it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

quote:

I'll be sure to have the cartels sign my EULA before proceeding with anything.

haha I liked this part of the bit

dead give away but it’s funny

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
irony isn’t real

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

still have nightmares about getting a few hundred dollars out of an ATM, saying "pick denominations for me!" and hearing it count it all out in 10's

is this a joke or did it actually say out loud how much you withdrew? that’d be horrifying

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

the whirr of the motor as it spools out bills is audible, you can hear it cogging out. the difference in counting out 7 $100 bills and 70 $10 bills is perceptible

oh yeah duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Truman Peyote posted:

Show HN: DN$ – an innovative, ad-supported DNS resolver (github.com/tedkim97)
5 points by nablags 17 minutes ago | hide | discuss

April fools is so tiring these days. I should start taking PTO on the first and just hang out in a cave or something